Makime

The Sun Also Rises (D8 EM)

Post by Makime »

[Leaving it open but first post is a long one]

Makime made her way to the command tent of the Lion. She was exhausted from the night before, indeed the Lioness had collapsed into a bed soon after handing over her command. Given the circumstances, Makime didn't expect anyone to slight her for it.

She nodded approvingly at the camp. While the Lioness knew Jiyo was present and likely the one in command, a lot of small details in the organization and layout told her one of her own had been handling some of the work. The Lioness reached the tent flap and drew it open, ready to speak with whichever of her subordinates had lead the Makime forces.

A young woman with coppery brown hair and pale green eyes looked up at Makime from a portable map table.

------------------------------------

"Lady Makime," Ayano bowed from her seated position and then began to pour a cup of tea.

"I left you in command of Shiro Makime, Ayano." Makime frowned down at her daughter and walked slowly to the table.

--------------------------------------

"That is correct, Lady Makime," Ayano replies as she finished the first cup and moved it to a spot next to her.

Makime made her way around the table, "This is not Shiro Makime, Ayano."

"That is also correct, Lady Makime," Ayano pours a second cup and sets the tea pot down.

"Explain." Makime too a seat next to Ayano and pulled the filled cup over to herself.

Ayano nodded and began, "Your orders, Lady Makime, were to defend Shiro Makime. I was preparing to do so in accordance with plan drawn up before your departure. His Majesty and the Imperial forces arrived, which shifted the situation and the proper action seemed to be marching with them to...proactively defend the city, Lady Makime."

----------------------------------------

Makime took a sip of tea, "I do not fault your decision to send our warriors. It was the correct one. But why are you here, Ayano."

---------------------------------------

"Someone had to lead the Makime army." Ayano replied.

"Ieyasu could have done so." Another sip as Makime made her reply.

"With all respect to Ieyasu, Lady Makime, he has the personality of wounded boar." Ayano sipped her own tea, hiding a small smile, "And the manners to match."

Makime narrowed her eyes, "Denshi. Denshi could have taken command."

"Denshi is too consumed by the minute of command, Lady Makime," Ayano took another sip, "Without a strong guiding hand, she would have wasted time trying to create a perfect plan. When a good one would suffice."

"Naoharu then!" Makime felt a growing agitation now.

-------------------------------------

Ayano smiled openly know, "Would you trust Naoharu with independent command, Lady Makime?"

She sat the tea down and continued, "I was the most logical choice."

Makime wanted to shout back 'NO YOU WERE NOT!', but she could not find fault in her daughter's assessment. "..."

Ayano's smile turned a sort of faux concerned, "Was...was it a poor decision Lady Makime?"

"..."

"I had thought it through I felt...perhaps you could explain my error, so I might learn from it?" Ayano held a hand up to her face.

"..." Makime glared at her daughter then sighed, "...that smug grin ill suits you Ayano. You are correct, of those available you were the best choice."

"However..." Makime paused there, her mind racing. Trying to find some excuse. The world had just nearly ended and she no longer had the will to produce one. "...I..." She let out a long sigh, "I could not bare the the thought of losing you or Yoriie. This was very dangerous. There was no guarantee..."

Now it was Ayano turn to be caught off guard. "Mother..."

She looked down into her tea, of all the things she had expected that was not the one she had considered. "...not as dangerous as running off north. I could not just sit at Shiro Makime if I could do something, anything to aid you."

Ayano felt her eyes water.

Seeing her daughters hand resting on the table, Makime hesitantly placed her own on top of it and squeezed gently. "Thank You, Ayano."

She shifted uncomfortably, "...I have not been a good mother to you or Yoriie. Or...well not in the manner one expects. No. No. Not in any manner."

---------------------------------------

"Mother..."

Makime continued, "I did everything I could to build a future for you. For everyone entrusted to me." She wasn't sure why she felt the need to justify anything, was it to Ayano or was it for herself. "It's a heavy...well, I think I have forgotten. Well." Makime took a breath, her calm demeanor was collapsing. Part of her felt a frustration at this break, but mostly she felt relief. "I never told you two 'I loved you', at least not enough." She swallowed, "I love you Ayano. And I am very proud of all you have accomplished in..."

"Mother..." Ayano lifted her hand and turned to to grasp Makime's

Shaken from her self-reflection, Makime looked over to her daughter, "Ayano?"

Ayano shift around the little corner of table and wrapped her arms around Makime, sobbing softly. The elder Makime was not the only one to have their emotional wall broken. "I'm so happy you are alive!"

"I..." Makime felt her own eyes turn watery and embraced her daughter. "It's alright Ayano. We have won. Everything will be alright."

Some time after Makime resumed drinking her tea, it was cold. The masks mother and daughter wore had returned, emotions reigned in. "Now, Ayano. If you would go over the state of the camp."

"Yes, Lady Makime," Ayano nodded, even with her feelings back under control she couldn't help smiling as she went over the drawn layout of the camp.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Ryoshun Nao

Re: The Sun Also Rises (D8 EM)

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

Outside the tent. A young Bat vwaited for a moment of the Lion's time.
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

"Enter," came a voice from the tent.

Makime sat sipping tea next to another younger woman, who clearly favored the daimyo in appearance. The younger woman's face was still red and her eyes bleary, clearly having been crying not all too long ago. For most this was likely not shocking, Makime was a pretty harsh woman when she wanted to be.

More concerning was the similar, if perhaps more muted, signs of tears on the elder Makime's own face.

But what ever had transpired before the bat arrived, both women seemed composed.

"Ryoshun-san." Makime gestured to the woman seated beside her, "This is my daughter, Ayano."

------------------------------

"A pleasure to meet you," Ayano's voice and manner was considerably more open and friendly then her mothers, "May I offer you some tea?"
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

She bowed to them. "I would like that. But, first."

She set a bundled daisho down before them, bowing with deep reverence. The blades and their saya had been carefully cleansed and purified.

"The Honor of the Empire will always rest with the Lion."
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime closed her eyes and let out a sigh, "...they are not mine to keep. If they were it would be in a place of highest honor."

She opens her eyes slowly and nods, "Thank you Ryoshun-san for ensuring their return. I will see them to Lord Akodo personally and from there to Akodo Kenji's family. He will be greatly missed."

----------------------

Ayano poured a cup of tea and placed it on the table near Nao. She then gently, reverently, lifted up the swords and rewrapped them. With careful tenderness she placed them to the side.

"Thank you Ryoshun-san for this." Her smile grew weary, "I would say the Lion owes you a debt but...I believe that the whole realm and beyond does. The Makime always pay their debts."

-----------------------

Makime gave a sideways glance to Ayano then her eyes returned to the Bat.

"Indeed. You have helped save the Empire, the realm of mortals, and the future of our people." Her eyes instinctively flick to her daughter, "I do indeed owe you and the others who stood with you a debt beyond my capacity to pay."

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

She shook her head. "We did what was needed Makime-sama. As did everyone else. But, I do hope not to see battle again."

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

Ayano spoke first this time, "I do not believe many would take the opposite view on battle. Given the recent events. It seems the time to rebuild and count the losses."

--------------------------

Makime crossed her arms and looked at the map, "I doubt anyone would have the will, Ryoshun-san. And regardless a great disaster has just been avoided. Seems little need for conflict in the immediate future."

Ayano watched her mother speak and sighed, "Mother...Lady Makime is blunt sometimes Ryoshun-san. I believe you need only worry about how often the tale of your victory is given or asked for. A reminder of the burden you must now forever carry." Her tone is sympathetic and her expression reflects a sadness as the younger Lioness realizes just how much was asked of the young Nao.

"...I imagine then you plan to return to your home. You came alone yes? Ayano brought some of my personal guard here, I can have them accompany you home if you wish." Makime's own tone was the same as it always had been, measure and baring precious little emotion. A reminder of the control the woman held over herself...normally at least.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

She sipped at the tea, savoring it. Then, she shook her head again.

"The shrine needs to be cleansed. And, there's much of the village's history that should be uncovered. I will wait here for my sisters arrival." she answered. "That is, of course, if the Emperor will allow it."

"I do appreciate the offer."

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

"I can leave some of my guard here until your clan mates arrive." Makime replied. "The Emperor is likely to want this place cordoned and sealed off. It would be the wise course until we know if any of Jigoku's minions still linger."

-------------------------

Ayano smiles and refilled her and Makime's cup. "Shiro Makime is to the south of here, it would not be a great burden upon us."

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

She nodded in agreement. "That would be for the best. There's a lot that needs to be done here. But, it must be done carefully and safely. Beyond the concerns of the village, there's the battlefield. Spirits will linger here."

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

"I believe I will live the Spirits to others." Makime took a sip of her tea, "I have had my fill of such things."

--------------------

Ayano, who was preparing to offer Nao more tea, blinked and looked at her mother with confusion. Rare indeed was a problem Makime wasn't willing to at least contemplate dealing with.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"I will see to it, Makime-sama, until my sister and the other spirit guides arrive." she dipped her head. Then she accepted more tea. "It will be a busy morning."

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

"Yes," Makime nodded, feeling a sort of weariness return. "We have to get all this mess cleaned up, hunt down what remains of the enemy, and likely prepare to move the villagers away from here."

-------------------------------

"Such things are already underway Mo...Lady Makime." Ayano couldn't help notice her mother's weariness, "The Lady Jiyo and his Majesty have overall command. But the bulk of the battle seems over."

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"There's always more to do." She nodded. "If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know. I'll be going back up to the shrine to check on things up there.""

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

"No, once everything is finished here, I intend to return back to Shiro Makime." The daimyo responded. "And from there to Lord Akodo to return Akodo Kenji's swords and tell him of the events at the village."

"Thank you for all you have done Ryoshun-san," Ayano bowed slightly from her position. "And be safe. The battle is at an end but there are still some lingering nightmares. The village itself should be secured between our warriors and the others."

She glanced to her mother, "I am sure all will be finished up here soon. Given the village's location..."

"It will fall to the Imperials, Crab, and Dragon to determine it's final fate." Makime nodded to Ayano, "And I must confess they are welcome to this place."

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"Very well." She set down an empty cup and stood, bowing deeply to them. "I'll leave you to the tasks that remain. I hope all goes well and that your travels will be uneventful."

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime returns the bow with a nod, "Good luck with your endeavors Ryoshun-san.

-----------------------------

Ayano bowed deeper then her mother, "May the strength of Bishamon protect you and Daikoku's blessing bring fortune to your endeavors."

She retrieved the cup and set aside.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

She nodded, then left.

/exit

Accompanied By| San