Canary

Re: GM Questions

Post by Canary »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:22 pm
Quick question!

The description of the spell Visions of the Future says it's been created by the Tonbo, so that would suggest it wouldn't exist at this point. It is the only 'ask about the future' spell other than a wildly powerful Rank 6 spell though, and it seems like the kind of thing that even tribal rituals would have attempted to do.

So the question is - does the spell exist in dawn? Possibly as a different version from the one later created by the Dragonfly? Or are Water spells to ask about the future a no go for now?

Thanks!
It does not yet.
Matsu wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:57 pm
What is the status of this village - timeline indicates that by now, everyone left in the territory of Rokugan acknowledges that Shiba is Emperor. If they don't, they already skipped town.
Legally unclear. It's outside the bounds of any Clan's territory - taking over a place completely takes time. It was also unknown before now. So one could argue either point - that it's out of the bounds of the Empire because no Clan controls it, or that any area not under one Clan is Imperial jurisdiction - with equal validity. The residents certainly don't seem to consider themselves under the Empire.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Canary wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:01 pm
Matsu wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:57 pm
What is the status of this village - timeline indicates that by now, everyone left in the territory of Rokugan acknowledges that Shiba is Emperor. If they don't, they already skipped town.
Legally unclear. It's outside the bounds of any Clan's territory - taking over a place completely takes time. It was also unknown before now. So one could argue either point - that it's out of the bounds of the Empire because no Clan controls it, or that any area not under one Clan is Imperial jurisdiction - with equal validity. The residents certainly don't seem to consider themselves under the Empire.
I guess this leaves me a little more confused rather than less. :oops:

We’ve seen that these folks clearly trade extensively with the rest of the empire (the feast menu, etc.), which was written up as how rapid assimilation has been happening for at least 20 years at this point. And none of the villagers have been here for more than five years, which means that they probably mostly *came from* places that acknowledged the Empire. We know Chouri did.

To be clear, this feels important IC because it has to do with how an honorable character with a strong sense of duty would feel they ought to deal with the village. If they are Shiba’s loyal subjects (just not any particular clan), honorable samurai owe them a powerful duty of care and protection. If they’re people who explicitly skipped town on the Empire, that’s a pretty different relationship. PCs have pretty much been told that we couldn’t come from recently unaligned tribes who are just fully oblivious to the empire anymore, so I’m assuming that’s not an option here (and it doesn’t seem to be the case with these folks anyway, since they are quite linked in with imperial trade/culture).
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Completely unrelated question that has a simpler and easier answer:

When we get (maybe) XP, can we spend it for things and be able to use them on D4, or will they be bought D4 and only usable on D5?

Also how much do Kiho cost (don't have book available at this computer)?
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Do out creepy visitors arrive at any specific time in our sleep? I slept EN-LN. So would they arrive at any specific one of those times, or would I just pick one?
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Canary

Post by Canary »

Otaku wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:20 pm
I guess this leaves me a little more confused rather than less. :oops:

We’ve seen that these folks clearly trade extensively with the rest of the empire (the feast menu, etc.), which was written up as how rapid assimilation has been happening for at least 20 years at this point. And none of the villagers have been here for more than five years, which means that they probably mostly *came from* places that acknowledged the Empire. We know Chouri did.

To be clear, this feels important IC because it has to do with how an honorable character with a strong sense of duty would feel they ought to deal with the village. If they are Shiba’s loyal subjects (just not any particular clan), honorable samurai owe them a powerful duty of care and protection. If they’re people who explicitly skipped town on the Empire, that’s a pretty different relationship. PCs have pretty much been told that we couldn’t come from recently unaligned tribes who are just fully oblivious to the empire anymore, so I’m assuming that’s not an option here (and it doesn’t seem to be the case with these folks anyway, since they are quite linked in with imperial trade/culture).
It is very confusing, yes. They're a village that popped up only five years ago, with people from all over the place in the Empire, that despite that and their apparent abundance, barely anyone has heard of, and no patrols ever ran across. Or at least, no patrols you can consult. You'd think more people would know about it, considering the type of plants they have and the amount of trade that would imply. It's pretty weird, and does present a conundrum to those of high honor about how they should deal with these people.

It's partly because otherwise the tribes are so integrated into the Empire that this is an unusual situation. That's why it's legally unclear, because this hasn't been a thing. But the fact is, even with modern technology, people can hole up undiscovered in an industrialized country for a long time. And Rokugan is far from that.

Some of the villagers regard themselves as part of the Empire, like Yoshie and Daisuke, who are very proud of their samurai artist son and just can't be with him. Others are... less than keen on the idea of being bothered. So it's kind of ambiguous even within the village itself.

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Yoshitsune Ayako

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

If we see something during the Sleep Paralysis event, then chase it off ... are we now awake in the "real" world (or, at least, the world where we're samurai visiting the festival in Blue Lotus Village ... maybe that's just a dream too, idk), or are we still dreaming?

... or do we even know?
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa

Canary

Post by Canary »

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:59 pm
Completely unrelated question that has a simpler and easier answer:

When we get (maybe) XP, can we spend it for things and be able to use them on D4, or will they be bought D4 and only usable on D5?

Also how much do Kiho cost (don't have book available at this computer)?
If you spend them early on D4, or even specify how you're going to spend them beforehand, you can use them D4. If it's more than a day into it, you'll have to wait until D5. XP will be 5.

Kiho, I'll get back to you after I looked it up.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:42 pm
If we see something during the Sleep Paralysis event, then chase it off ... are we now awake in the "real" world (or, at least, the world where we're samurai visiting the festival in Blue Lotus Village ... maybe that's just a dream too, idk), or are we still dreaming?

... or do we even know?
You're awake, but you can go back to sleep and get a full night's sleep, including the slot you started sleeping in.

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Need some DMing fiats and throwing them here since the questions (may, if you continue to allow Shamans in the future Canary) be relevant for later games since 4e did not import mechanics rules it really should have...

#1: For Dancing for Name spells, I need a TN. 4th edition simply does not list one as far as I can find though it may be my brain is overcooked and I have just missed it over my poking Enemies of the Empire. Way of the Ratling lists the TN as 15 (pg 73, lmk if you need the book).

#2: Way of the Ratling, on the same page, also lists (successful) raises on Dance rolls for Name spells as translating to free raises for the spell roll. Would be nice to know if that's still allowed.
BEST ENDING UNLOCKED: TRANSCENDENT NAME: Mother of Ten Thousand Dreams

Name 3: Great Name / Niche ?: Nameseeker? / Small / A babychild. / theme
Tiny thing carries around a ritual dagger.

Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Chuchu wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:47 pm
Need some DMing fiats and throwing them here since the questions (may, if you continue to allow Shamans in the future Canary) be relevant for later games since 4e did not import mechanics rules it really should have...

#1: For Dancing for Name spells, I need a TN. 4th edition simply does not list one as far as I can find though it may be my brain is overcooked and I have just missed it over my poking Enemies of the Empire. Way of the Ratling lists the TN as 15 (pg 73, lmk if you need the book).

#2: Way of the Ratling, on the same page, also lists (successful) raises on Dance rolls for Name spells as translating to free raises for the spell roll. Would be nice to know if that's still allowed.
Not the GM, so possibly ignore me, but I thought the dancing requirement is basically a time requirement for channelling the spell, rather than a skill roll requirement?
"The Shaman must dance for a number of hours equal to the spell’s Mastery Level before casting it. If the dance is interrupted, the spell fails. If a bonus is listed in the spell’s description, the Nezumi gains that bonus on the Spell Casting Roll." (EotE 118)

You can be a bad dancer, but good or bad you dance the full hour/ML.

edit: As for interrupting dances, I guess you could use the same rules for interrupting elemental skill channeling? That seems more discretionary, though.
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Otaku wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:51 pm
You can be a bad dancer, but good or bad you dance the full hour/ML.
True that it creates a time requirement, but by dropping the roll + raise aspect it becomes just ANOTHER school skill to languish, like Meditation, because of the impracticality of investing in it due to the mechanics drop. Way of the Ratling has Meditation give shamans a (single) spell slot back for a successful TN 20 roll + an hour, while that was dropped in 4e, leaving Meditation's only mechanical benefit (since nezumi can't regain Name like humans regain Void thru meditation) only a weeks-long reconnaissance to get someone's Name when you can just... use a spell to do that instead.

ETA: Huh. I double checked Dream Walk (the spell that had me asking about Dance) in Way of the Ratling vs Dream Walk in 4e and they nerfed the shit out of it. Original Dream Walk let you take in one extra person per raise, while new Dream Walk requires three raises, making it a much harder spell to pull off.
A TN 40 roll for a level 1 spell is a lot, and that's just for two people :(

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Canary

Post by Canary »

Chuchu wrote:

TN 20 is fine.

I don't mind Meditation having the same effect as in the old rules.

Sure. It'll help you pull off all those raises for Dream Walk.

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Canary wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:21 pm
Chuchu wrote:

TN 20 is fine.

I don't mind Meditation having the same effect as in the old rules.

Sure. It'll help you pull off all those raises for Dream Walk.
Danku Birb o7 Have further questions for Dream Walkin' in my PF.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

Are there any dates on the markers in the graveyard?
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Canary

Post by Canary »

Ryoshun Nao wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:21 pm
Are there any dates on the markers in the graveyard?
Yes. Let me get over to the thread

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Hello!

It's a bit late but it just dawned on Shang that there were some ancient texts lying around, chronicling the village itself.

Could Shang take a look at them? Late Evening? The next day? She's plenty curious!

Thank you!
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Canary

Post by Canary »

Saru Shang wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:56 am
Hello!

It's a bit late but it just dawned on Shang that there were some ancient texts lying around, chronicling the village itself.

Could Shang take a look at them? Late Evening? The next day? She's plenty curious!

Thank you!
Chouri is willing to let her see some of them, sure.

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Canary wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:25 am
Chouri is willing to let her see some of them, sure.
Okay! I suppose this would take an appointment with her? Would late evening work? Or Day 4?
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

At y'all's leisure, an approval here: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 4&start=22
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it