Makime

What Lies North

Post by Makime »

Makime looked out over her city.

Well ordered streets, overflowing with multitudes of people. From every corner of Shiba's Empire, perhaps even from beyond. Come to the markets, a collection of goods none had seen in her life time. None had dreamed of in her life time.

"Another village consumed by this plague. And the stormcrow seemingly gathering for...something practically at our doorstep. Bringing his mischief into our homes." The first voice said.

And down those streets visible from where Makime stood, the docks. Docks filled with all manner of riverine craft. Unloading, loading, some even offering wares from their boats. In and out they flowed, up and down the rivers running east to west and north to south. A vibrant artery in an ever growing Empire. One her family had a firm grip on.

"The stormcrow only precedes the storm, not calls it," came the second voice, "But regardless his presence is a problem. One we must prepare for."

Her eyes drifted to the east. The great mustering fields, where rank upon rank of Akodo's warriors...her warriors... would line up. A sea of men and women, armed and ready to do their Lord's bidding. Even now she could see some of that host training. Mock battles to prepare for the real.

"Indeed, we can't rely on the ramblings of some would be prophet. We must go and see with our own eyes what the little man is planning." A third added her voice.

And beyond, villages, cities. Trade posts. River ports. Farms. Orchards. Whole towns dedicated to producing the finest of silks. A land transformed. And all of it, only a beginning...how far they had come. How far could they go.

A fourth rubbed his chin and spoke, "I concur, this matter must be investigated further. But whose eyes of ours in particular?"

A land built by the hand of weavers, carvan guards, merchants...a land shaped by the very ways of the Heavens themselves. To think what wonders Lord Akodo and his siblings had brought. Makime couldn't help but smile at all that had been accomplished.

"It is to gather information no? Then I should go, among these...pilgrims? Worthies? Whatever the stormcrow calls them, who would notice a mere merchant?" The fifth laughed at some joke known only to himself.

This was a legacy. Her legacy. No her family's legacy. A new order to the world were a guard now ruled a land. A people. First among the followers of Akodo.

"You? And what do you plan to do if it comes to a fight?" The sixith responded with derision, "Haggle them to death?"

The fifth replied, "Hah, you never understood anything that didn't involve an end of a spear you..."

"Enough." Makime's single word silenced her subordinates. Her eyes took in one last glimpse of the city. No grand market. No great docks. No armies mustering. Just a growing number of buildings and people. But it was a start.

She gestured dismissively as she turned, "I...agree we can not let that raving holy man," Makime spoke the last two words with naked derision, "do as he pleases so close to our home. Whether he brings mischief or merely sniffs it out, it is here at the very borders of land...and the very borders of our city. It threatens what we have built. As you all have observed." They six gathered nodded and she continued, "Which is why I will go personally."

And like that six voices exploded forth again.

"My Lady!" "You can not be serious!" "Please Lady Makime, do not risk yourself." "Surely the madness in our lands deserves your attention more!" "Risk your life because of some half mad crow's pet prophet?!" "What would happen if you were to die Lady Makime, who would continue..."

She held her hand up for silence, "My heir Ayano would rule. As she was meant to, and you or your successors would counsel her as you counsel me. Do not think our family so fragile that any one death would be its end, my own included."

After a moment the third spoke up again, "I will prepare your guard and mak..."

Makime cut her off, "I will go only with those already journeying north."

"My Lady!" the second replied.

Makime shook her head, "Every warrior we have will be needed. Either putting down the madness, or else defending this city." Before any other objections could be raised she continued. "You all will prepare a plan to defend the city. I suggest we use the river to our advantage...and hope it is as much an impediment to our foes as it would be to us. Furthermore...prepare to evacuate our seat of power. The family must survive. The Lion must survive."

They all nodded, a solemn agreement.

"Now. My daughter arrives tomorrow and she will be at our next meeting. I expect the beginnings of a plan by then." She turned her gaze to each of them in turn. "You have your duties."

The six dipped their heads in acknowledgment and left. Makime turned back to her city.

The shining jewel, a heart pumping the arteries of wealth and trade across a whole Empire. It is what the children of Tengoku had promised. It was what her descendants would build. What her followers would build. A future more glorious then even she could imagine.

Makime, first among the followers of the Great Lord Akodo, would see that future given its chance.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident