Hantei Genji

Family Matters

Post by Hantei Genji »

Genji sat in seiza, Oto-kun idly munching on his father’s hand from his throne of Father’s Lap. His father did not seem to mind as he very gently raised his cup of tea, and took a long sip, his tired eyes shutting out the outside world for a short while. “You really should drink less of that.” His father’s deep voice had only the barest of inflections, and the Heir of the Stag smiled back.

“I could, but you try staying up all night with your crying grandson. I think his teeth are almost all out. It should be over soon.” His optimism didn’t seem to rub off on the kami though.

“I kept saying that up until your fourth winter.” The kami Hantei gently lowered his hand to caress his granddaughter, who was sitting next to him dutifully tracing kanji. “Look grandpapa, it says rice.” Hantei smiled at the youngster, and chuckled. “Almost Teru-chan. Your lines need to be straighter, not so curved. Good effort though.”

A small, yip-like yawn erupted from the corner, and Teru-chan immediately jumped up, her lessons and filial loyalty forgotten. “Kon-kon-chan-chan!” She yelled with the enthusiasm of someone who just came out of her fourth winter, and ran to pet the fox. The Imperial Vulpine, in return, warily eyed his ancient rival, and bound away. The girl wasn’t deterred though, and ran after him. And that is how the chase escalated, the pair circling and circling. Genji’s eyes lazily drifted after the hunter and the hunted, though he didn’t seem overly concerned. If some scratches happened, well, better she learn now than in more dangerous times. Hantei’s gaze was full of steel though. “It better not hurt her…” Genji let out a low laugh, his son giggling alongside him.

“Don’t worry father, Teru-chan can take care of herself. Besides, she needs to learn. Now, tell me agai-hrn-n, what news do we have of our northern territories? How many have been afflicted?”

His Champion, father and god looked at him. “Son, you should rest. Still haven’t been sleeping at night? I am sure your Grandfather is not that bad.” Said the man who was almost killed by the Moon. Hantei reached over to pick up the younger boy as well, gently cuddling him in his arm, ignoring the slobber on his fine kimono.

“It’s not that Father, but you know, Kogi-chan is working and dealing with the kids during the day, I just want to let her rest. Besides, Kaori-chan helps on occasion as well. I know you and Mother are too busy with your work.” The kami, Golden Warrior of the Heavens, let his body slump, as concern over his son overtook his discipline.

“I get it Genji-kun, but I worry about you.” Before the two could continue, Kon-Kon suddenly stopped, Teru-chan stopping alongside him. The door to their office opened, revealing a familiar figure. “Shinsei.” The Stags gave a shallow bow to the monk.

“I’m not here to bother you much, Hantei. I was just hoping to give some advice to Genji. There is a small village in the new Crab lands, Blue Lotus Village. A lovely little festival is coming up, and it might do you good to show your face among your allies. Meet some cousins along the way. You might even get a good night’s rest after all is said and done.” The monk turned, his staff hitting the floor harshly. “The nightmares might even stop, if you live up to your potential.” The monk left without bowing to the pair, as suddenly as he came.

Hantei slumped again. “Well…I think it’s time to raise your retinue then son.” In return, the Shining Prince let out a mirthless laugh.

“Father, we both know we cannot afford a retinue right now. Our lands are riddled with infected, and the untamed lands are teeming with who knows what. Better if I’ll go myself, and get to the bottom of this. Besides, I’d rather the warriors protect my home and my family then my body.”
Hantei stood up, still holding the little sunshine that was Oto-kun. “I don’t like this. You’ll be all alone.”

The heir of the Stag smirked. “You heard Shinsei, I might not be. Besides, there are some relatives I’ve been meaning to visit, and they’re not far from here. On Mother’s side. And who knows? Grandfather might finally smile on me this time around.” Teru-chan ran up to his father, grabbing at his legs. “You’ll come back, right daddy?” Placing his hand on his daughter’s hand, Genji smiled brightly, lighting up the room in a soft glow. “That is my intention, my little sunshine. For you, and Oto-kun, and your family. Be brave and nice until then, alright?” He stood up. “Time to get my things. I’ll leave at dawn.”
Stag Prodigy * Potential Thunderstag * Golden Boy * Happily married
Honor: Honorable * Status: 4.0 * Glory: 2.0