Yoshitsune Ayako

A Dream of Mountains

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

Year 28

“Don’t go, big sister,” the girl pleaded. “They say there’s madness in Yamamura village.”

“That’s exactly why I have to go,” Yoshitsune Chizu said gently, as she lifted her pack. “People are scared, and Lord Hida needs someone to go see what’s happening there…and to help, if I can. Besides, we have kin in Yamamura … you wouldn’t want them to think we abandoned them, would you?”

“N-no,” the younger girl said, sniffling a little. “I guess not.”

“Now put on a brave face, Ayako-chan,” Chizu chided. “You're nearly grown, and you need to set a good example for the other children.”

Ayako squared her shoulders and managed a weak smile.

“There’s my brave little sister,” Chizu said, beaming. “I’ll be back before you know it.”

The mountain trail leading to Yamamura was rugged at the best of times, but it had become overgrown with disuse since the last time Chizu climbed it. Peddlers and woodcutters had once used this trail, but she had not seen another soul so far. The trees to either side seemed to grow closer to the trail than before; more than once the Crab found herself pushing through branches or brush.

As Chizu reached the end of the trail, it opened out into Yamamura village … or what had become of Yamamura, at any rate. Where once there had been thatched huts, now there were strange buildings of pink-grey stone whose walls seemed to have melted and flowed like hot wax. Standing near what had been the headman’s hut was a bizarre bipedal figure, covered in blue fur and with two tufted horns. The creature wore an ordinary kimono and straw hat as if in mockery of humankind. Its eyes were like pools of black ink, and they turned toward Chizu.

“WELCOME, SAMURAI,” the creature said in an unearthly tone. “WE HAVE BEEN EXPECTING YOU.”

“I’ve been sent to help the people of Yamamura,” Chizu replied, taking a bold stance. “Where are they?”

“COME,” said the thing, beckoning with one clawed hand. “I WILL SHOW YOU.”

The creature’s voice sent a chill down Chizu’s back. But she had come this far; she wouldn’t turn back.

She stepped forward.
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa