Ryoshun Huan

Wisdom and Acceptance

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

Huan sat beneath a plum tree, the snow around the trunk cleared away. He stared into the Void, drawing it into himself and then expelling it back into the universe. It was like breathing to him, refreshing his spirit and providing for his soul as air refreshes the lungs and provides for the body. He is surprised by the words he hears next because he didn't hear the sound of snow crunching.

A voice he doesn't recognize speaks, "I have not seen you in decades Taochusu. You've lost weight."

Huan replies, "That is not my name." There's a slight edge to his tone, because whoever was speaking to him had snuck up on him in some pretty loud snow.

"Of course it isn't. Apologies," says the voice once more as it's owner steps out from behind the tree. "You are Ryoshun Huan, and Taochusu is gone. I regret not becoming closer friends with him before he died. He was a very boisterous and outgoing man at times and we could all use more of that in our lives."

When Huan sees Shinsei, he recognizes him from descriptions and bows respectfully. "Shinsei-sensei, it's an honor to meet you. Unfortunately, in addition to our names, our personalities are also very different apparently. That is definitely not how I live my life."

"No, of course not," Shinsei replied. "It may be the same soul, but you are your own person. The things that Taochusu did put you where you are, but don't make you who you are. It's a subtle but important distinction. But I need to say something to him and you are the closest I can get to doing so... if you don't mind."

Huan nodded respectfully, "It's not the same, but if it is something that you wish to say for your own peace of mind then I will listen on behalf of my previous incarnation."

Shinsei replies, "Thank you. Taochusu... I was wrong. I thought that you were too lonely, not tied to the lands of the empire or it's people in a way that was meaningful enough to resist the evil we were facing. I told you that on the cusp of battle and I misinterpreted my vision. I thought you were just a single strong man standing on his own and that the forces of evil would use that to drive a wedge between you and everyone else. But you didn't hesitate to put your body and soul on the line for an empire you didn't get the chance to experience, for people you barely got the chance to know, against monsters you didn't understand. That's a level of conviction that is rare. I thought you were standing alone among a vast and endless forest, but the forest... was the people and lands of the empire, and you were watching over them silently, you were not really lost and lonely. So... I was wrong. Things turned out how they needed to, and I don't regret it, but I'm not going to lie and say my understanding of everyone and everything is perfect. You proved to me just how not lonely you were, and it's unfortunate that you died to do so."

There is a long pause as Huan takes in what he just heard and tries to process it, then he speaks up once more. "I... the stories I've heard. I don't think he'd really have held that against you Shinsei-sensei."

Shinsei smirks, "He called my reasoning backwards, because I don't think he understood what I was saying. I think the two of us misunderstood each other a great deal. But he never really shied from sharing his thoughts, had a massive ego, and would have definitely said 'I told you so' after hearing that speech. And he didn't actually tell me so, but I'd probably go with it because at that point it would just be arguing semantics and I was actually wrong in my interpretation, even if he was too. But this version of your soul? You are far more reserved. I can't say whether that suits you or not until I see you in action."

Shinsei hands him a piece of parchment with a location and date on it. "Be there, then. I don't know if the empire will need you, but it's possible we will. We'll find out."

The slip of paper sees Huan's expression darken. Of course. Just like everyone else... expectations and demands. Even someone that was friendly with my past incarnation just gives me more to do and doesn't really care about this incarnation. Even the great Shinsei expects something from me. Destiny sucks, people suck, and this reincarnation bullshit sucks. I never asked for any of it and now I'm going to probably end up dying while fighting for people I don't know against monsters I don't understand just like him. What a joke. After the long pause while he reads the directions, he looks back up, the darkness gone from his eyes. "I will be there Shinsei-sensei."

A flicker of recognition, maybe concern, passes in Shinsei's expression, "Take care of yourself, Ryoshun Huan." The little teacher then turns around and departs through the snow.

Huan is left alone once more and closes his eyes to meditate. Slowly he cuts away the anger and disappointment at yet another person just seeing him as another Taochusu, just like the Order of Heroes and just like his sensei. The anger will not do anything useful and he has no energy to spend on it when he has training to do.
Bat * Soul of Taochusu * Ishiken * Destined to Die * Haunted by the Chusu Tribe
Honor: 3.5 | Status: 1.0 | Glory: 3.0
On person: Robes, daisho, astrological compass, fan