Bayushi Norikage

A Mask has Two Roles

Post by Bayushi Norikage »

Kashouji, Scorpion Lands, Early Spring

The Flapping Bat, nestled in a dugout below the owner’s home, exuded an atmosphere akin to that of a hidden cavern, a fitting ambiance for a sake house bearing its curious name. Kashouji, like the Bat and its hidden qualities, was a city of new beginnings and unfulfilled potential, much like the samurai tasked with safeguarding it. Yet, among the Scorpion clan, older, more cynical souls always loomed amidst the rising blades of spring.

Bayushi Norikage indulged in a slow sip of his sake, then examined the dregs left in his cup with a pensive air. He observed the dice game unfolding across from him between the lady magistrate's yoriki, but it held little allure for him. Money changing hands among comrades seemed trivial. He couldn't help but wonder whether anyone in this city possessed the ambition, or even the courage, to engage in matters more significant.

Not in this dump. Fortunes, spare me this death by excitement, would you?

However, as the scowl crept onto his face, he couldn't help but sense that his prayer might have been overheard, as a familiar sound crept through the Bat. There was only one man in the entire city whose self-important gait could betray him so easily. The ostentatious tapping of a cane resounded with all the subtlety of a smith’s hammer, the unmistakable onset signal of impending irritation.

"Norikage-kun," the scratchy voice of Takuan, advisor to Lady Mitsuki, grated on Norikage's nerves from behind. The honorific choice began the grinding of the younger man’s teeth.

A sigh. "What have I done now, I wonder?"

He turned to face the elder Scorpion, whose shaven visage and coarse, gray topknot carried an air of shabby authority, just enough to make one’s eyeball twitch. The Bayushi braced himself for whatever task had brought the old fool to darken his day.

Takuan leaned on his cane, a wry smile playing on his lips. "You haven't done anything yet, my friend, but Lady Mitsuki has a task for you. One that may be... to your liking."

Norikage frowned, his eyes narrowing with suspicion. "Is that so? Enlighten me."

“Not here”, Takuan answered, amused. “The lady should tell you herself.” He gestured toward the exit with his cane.

Norikage grunted and stood up, taking the cloth mask he wore from his sleeve and put it on, covering the lower half of his face. Takuan’s amusement seemed to exude from him, like a chime ringing with his stupid smile on his stupid face.

“The mask, you always wear it, but what does it mean, really?” the old man asked as they ascended the steps out of the Bat.

“It means you can’t see the face I’m making at you right now.” Norikage wasted no consideration for the old man, going ahead of him as Takuan carefully navigated the steps with his cane.

Norikage sat outside the office of his superior, the magistrate and governor of Kashouji. He appreciated her style of leadership in how she preferred a personal hand in matters. He failed to appreciate how this method seemed to arise the most when it concerned him, and as well how it seemed to arise only to give him a scolding on something meaningless.

The lady magistrate will likely send me away, he guessed. It was not for a lack of trying on his own part. Norikage had little love for Kashouji’s winters, and less love for his superior. Not that there was little to appreciate, but she was too young, too important, too pretty, and far too attached to propriety, while he was the son of a bandit who was given a pair of swords and told to keep quiet. Exploring anything between them was a waste of everyone’s time.

Trepidation battled against hope as he raised his hand to scratch lightly on the door, announcing his presence without any unnecessary formality.

"Enter," came Lady Mitsuki's clear, cool response from within the office.

Norikage rose to one knee and slid open the door, then shuffled inside. Lady Mitsuki was seated at a low table, scrolls and documents spread out before her. Her sharp gaze lifted from her work to meet his, and the displeasure on her features was plain, mingled with an undercurrent of discomfort. Norikage was glad to be wearing a mask, it kept his smug expression well hidden. Did she think he didn’t notice how he made her nervous?

With a bow and a hint of sarcasm, he posed the inevitable question. "What did I do now?"

Mitsuki's voice remained steady, though tinged with annoyance. "Certainly there will be something brought to my attention in time, but those matters can wait until you return.”

Norikage settled into the laziest seiza he could muster, his eyes locked onto Mitsuki's. He couldn't help but let a hint of amusement dance in his gaze. She was sending him away after all. If he’d smiled, she wouldn’t see it through his mask anyway. Though the brief silence told him she believed he had.

Miyako Mitsuki cleared her throat and adjusted the scroll on her desk, propriety solidifying her professional demeanor. "A particular ronin was seen near the Shinomen as of late. She is elusive, well-armed, and has a distinct Fox mask that she wears. Lord Bayushi has taken a keen interest in her activities, and it is his will that we find this ronin and discern her intentions."

Norikage arched an eyebrow, genuinely intrigued. "A ronin with a mask? Interesting.”

Mitsuki nodded. "Indeed, it is. We are at present uncertain why she walks the lands along our borders, our lord has ordered me to send my most perceptive and able samurai to investigate. You are to find this ronin and survey them, you are ordered to protect them from harm if necessary."

"Protect her?” There were too many possibilities all fighting for his attention to focus on one. He needed more information. “What else can you tell me about this ronin?"

Mitsuki shook her head. "That will be your duty to inform me upon your return.”

The Bayushi snorted and folded his arms. “Seems like a waste of time.” Wander the mountains and forests to find some girl with a mask and sword? It could take months, she really was just getting rid of him after all.

Mitsuki's expression remained firm, but Norikage detected a hint of concern in her eyes. "Your duty is to report, Norikage. If you find her in a compromising situation, you'll exercise your judgment to ensure she remains unharmed. It seems she is important to our Lord's plans. Be discreet, and do not engage unless necessary."

Norikage nodded, grunting. Of course she’d ignore his complaints. What else could he expect? Even if she had known anything, she likely wasn’t allowed to say. So be it. "Very well, Miyako Mitsuki-sama. Your most capable and perceptive samurai will take care of it. Is there anything else?"

Mitsuki's eyes hardened as her subordinate threw his usual sarcasm back at her. It didn’t hold, and Norikage did not miss the softening of her voice. "Stay safe, Norikage-kun.” The lady magistrate struggled not to smile, he could sense. “These times are unpredictable and we do not know what this stranger is after, or where this duty will lead. We cannot afford to lose you."

Norikage, again, was pleased to be wearing a mask. It had been years since he actually blushed. His usual sarcasm found itself caught in his throat by her sincerity.

Of course, like many such moments, it was not to last. “Well, keep a fire lit. You’ll see me again.” He stood, bowed and slapped the shoji shut on his way out.
Scorpion Clan • Bushi • Scout • Not Sorry • Great Things Happen
Honor: Let's just not. Status: 1 Glory 3.5
Carries: Swords, fan, mask, pipe, jade. Sometimes: armor, bow, hat, cloak.