Nozomi

The Little Student - Nozomi Q&A

Post by Nozomi »

So, thankfully I was able to be here despite some health difficulties and the additional requirements of real life. Nozomi's been a blast to play for three games. One of my longest term characters in these play by post games.

Feel free to shoot any questions you might have.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Jiyo Sora

Re: The Little Student - Nozomi Q&A

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Hikaru Tribe Fist-Bump

FORM QUESTIONS AWAAAAAAY!

1. Biggest curveball Nozomi threw you?
2. Biggest curveball the game threw you?
3. Favorite moment?
4. Biggest missed opportunity?
5. Any secrets Nozomi has that never came up?

Had life been more accommodating, I would have loved more of them rehashing old times, but at the same time... I feel like we kinda hit their vibe enough this game.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:23 am
Hikaru Tribe Fist-Bump

FORM QUESTIONS AWAAAAAAY!

1. Biggest curveball Nozomi threw you?
2. Biggest curveball the game threw you?
3. Favorite moment?
4. Biggest missed opportunity?
5. Any secrets Nozomi has that never came up?

Had life been more accommodating, I would have loved more of them rehashing old times, but at the same time... I feel like we kinda hit their vibe enough this game.
Fist-bump. The players got serious bit of mileage out of the old tribes. I was glad to see how much people would play to those old stories. Hikaru forever!

1. Oh, that one's easy: Attaching herself to a monastic fate. Love? Love wasn't out of the realm of possibility, but the monastic way was something she embraced so whole-heartedly (even if she's not great at it) that it took me by surprise. It very much suits the setting.
2. To be brutally honest? I did not expect her to survive Kyuuen. Her stats are intentionally brutally average. 3s in key traits are always dangerous in IR 3 encounters, so... having a chance to continue for three full games was a nice curveball.

There was also Shinsei as the Champion, but that curveball wasn't something I guessed (though I did once crack to the GMs that I thought it would be a brutal option.). In hindsight, it was a beautiful choice of the champion of Jigoku.
3. I would still say to this day "Riding the back of a goddess to rescue a monk from himself" probably qualifies as the most Phi moment she ever had. It was such a mythic scene.
4. More storytime with Shosuro in Game 3, though we got just enough that it was very endearing.
5. A couple:

A) Nozomi is Cursed by Yomi. Being an adopted transplant from the shell of a villge that had belonged to a tribe that didn't make it (and which was implied to be killed by the agents of the Lying Darkness), none of her ancestors wait in Yomi for her. She was the one who survived. She wasn't meant to survive. Nozomi has struggled with survivor's guilt almost all of her life, and generally has subsumed it into doing her job very well.

Shinsei may be the only soul in yomi who watches over her.

B) Part of why Nozomi never got along with the concept of Honor of the Nanzi family is that she actually has a Failure of Bushido: Honesty. She's a big part of why "Embellishment" is permitted in the stories of the Order of Heroes. Her relationship with the truth is sketchy, but she lies like a fish swims. She just doesn't know how to be sincerely honest without sounding fake.

I think there were other secrets, but her connection to the Lying Darkness and later to Shosuro were ultimately played out in the public eye, so folks have gotten to see those, and the fact that the Heir of Shinsei, Mayumi, was her daughter. I did have fun playing the tag-along in Game 3.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Given the Thunder selection post I am really sad Nozomi and Naraku did not interact more.

I absolutely adored reading your posts.
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

I was honored to be the one to get to torpedo your world (well, inform you of said torpedo).

Also the Thunder choosing scene was the only thing to make me regret not being eligible.
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:28 am
Given the Thunder selection post I am really sad Nozomi and Naraku did not interact more.

I absolutely adored reading your posts.
I do regret that a little bit. The two had just enough of a similarity in their pasts, however distant she was to that past anymore, that I think there could have been some interesting commiseration. Naraku was an interesting character as he played out and you got to have some really neat notes to his time in the game.
Sugri wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:36 am
I was honored to be the one to get to torpedo your world (well, inform you of said torpedo).

Also the Thunder choosing scene was the only thing to make me regret not being eligible.
Hah, yeah, that freak out session was something else. She had to find out sooner, rather than later.

The Thunder Selection was a privilege. I didn't get to pick them, but I got to figure out ways that she would describe why they were the ones selected. And finding fun, interesting ways to speak to a character's story and past is always a little bit of a treat for me.

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

I want Nozomi to be the Little Teacher, that's all I want.

No more living in the shadows for you. But seriously, I am glad to see her play a pivotal role and as always a great time to have her here.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:41 pm
I want Nozomi to be the Little Teacher, that's all I want.

No more living in the shadows for you. But seriously, I am glad to see her play a pivotal role and as always a great time to have her here.
Given that her Major Goal is to Preserve the Tao's place in Rokugan in light of Shinsei's fall, she will likely come to be known as the Little Teacher, and he the Teacher. Or something very much like that.

Likewise. It was very fun.

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

Yeah, I was super happy when Nozomi got to step in as the new Shinsei as it were.

It felt very Dawn-verse... inclusive and lovely and great.

Kumori was pushing Nozomi towards it IC a day or two before it happened, and I the player was super excited when it was revealed that was what was going to happen.

So Nozomi the Little Teacher has my support!
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Shiba Kumori wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:48 pm
Yeah, I was super happy when Nozomi got to step in as the new Shinsei as it were.

It felt very Dawn-verse... inclusive and lovely and great.

Kumori was pushing Nozomi towards it IC a day or two before it happened, and I the player was super excited when it was revealed that was what was going to happen.

So Nozomi the Little Teacher has my support!
It was honestly a privilege. I never thought I'd have a chance like that when things started out years ago, and I loved it. It was unique.

Hehe. Yeah, I think with her making her life's goal the promotion of the Tao, she may end up being remembered as the Little Teacher, to the great Teacher that she followed. She'd privately hate it a little because of her self-esteem issues, but I love the ending.

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei »

Heh. Will Shinsei's crow start following her around now? Or one of her children?
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 3 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle, new case for scrolls.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:07 am
Heh. Will Shinsei's crow start following her around now? Or one of her children?
So, that is a Baku question... but tehre were implications in one of her conversations with the old crow that hinted he might be checking up on Mayumi from time to time. Which, given the Hooded Ronin? Sort of makes sense that they would keep tabs on the line.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:45 am
Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:07 am
So, that is a Baku question... but tehre were implications in one of her conversations with the old crow that hinted he might be checking up on Mayumi from time to time. Which, given the Hooded Ronin? Sort of makes sense that they would keep tabs on the line.
He'll be accompanying Mayumi into the Burning Sands.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."