Matsu

Matsu Q + A

Post by Matsu »

The story is over for her. Ask away.
Spider Clan | Bushi | Daimyo | Great Destiny | Amazonian | Bishamon smiles | Paragon of Courage | Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 7.0 | Status: 7.0
Carries: Daisho, Shakuhachi, Sturdy Clothing, Straw Hat, Fur Cloak
Danger: Bisento, Light Armor
Demonfucker Count: 7

Otomo Akutou

Re: Matsu Q + A

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Matsu, what is best in life?
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

FORM QUESTIONS INBOUND! (I... don't know that Matsu and Sora ever actually spoke this game! :lol: )

1. Biggest curveball Matsu threw you?
2. Biggest curveball the game threw you?
3. Favorite moment?
4. Biggest missed opportunity?
5. Any secrets Matsu has that never came up?
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Just remember to cuss them all out Lady Matsu.

It's what Kenji would of wanted.

/kidding.
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Only 7 counts for the Demonfucker-counter?!? Those are rookie-numbers! We gotta get those numbers up! :lol:

Thank you for bringing Matsu to life. She's such a bigger-than-life personality in canon, but across the four games, we've seen Matsu grow from tempestous child to the great warrior who grabbed the Champion of Yume-Jigoku with her hands, ready to die to drag him to hell with her! <3 Loved it.

So... Shang and Matsu wedding when???
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Matsu

Post by Matsu »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:28 pm
Matsu, what is best in life?
To Conquer. To see your enemies driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of the DEMONFUCKERS!
Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:14 am
FORM QUESTIONS INBOUND! (I... don't know that Matsu and Sora ever actually spoke this game! :lol: )

1. Biggest curveball Matsu threw you?
2. Biggest curveball the game threw you?
3. Favorite moment?
4. Biggest missed opportunity?
5. Any secrets Matsu has that never came up?
1. The breakdown on Kenji's death. I would say that's the first time she's failed a promise. She's used to sending warriors to die, and is prepared to die herself. But something about Kenji falling to ultimate Evil, when all she had done was take a beating until she wrestled him down? It broke something.

2.) I was expecting to get more use from Paragon of Courage.

3.) Falling for Shang.

4.) Failing to remember my Polearms Mastery from rank 3 in the first Shinsei fight. Had I remembered, I'd have gotten to go first, and maybe gotten a good blow in prior to just going down like a sack of potatoes.

5.) After two games, her Sworn Enemy is still "Some douchebag tbd later."
Spider Clan | Bushi | Daimyo | Great Destiny | Amazonian | Bishamon smiles | Paragon of Courage | Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 7.0 | Status: 7.0

Matsu

Post by Matsu »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:04 am
Only 7 counts for the Demonfucker-counter?!? Those are rookie-numbers! We gotta get those numbers up! :lol:

Thank you for bringing Matsu to life. She's such a bigger-than-life personality in canon, but across the four games, we've seen Matsu grow from tempestous child to the great warrior who grabbed the Champion of Yume-Jigoku with her hands, ready to die to drag him to hell with her! <3 Loved it.

So... Shang and Matsu wedding when???
I am grateful I was given the trust to bring her to life, from the child at Yamadono's hip all of Dawn 1, to the tween with attitude in Dawn 2, the unsure of her destiny in Dawn 3, to THE MATSU now. She was fun to reinterpret through a new lens.

We'll have to see what Shang thinks!

Canary

Post by Canary »

Matsu wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:05 am
5.) After two games, her Sworn Enemy is still "Some douchebag tbd later."
Sorry. ;__;

It was awesome to see Matsu and the sort of woman she's become over the course of several games. Thanks for bringing her and giving the game your time - I know you sometimes don't have much, so it means a lot that you used it here. :)
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Makime

Post by Makime »

Matsu! The imposing will of iron and Mistress of Anti-Demonfuckery among the daimyo!

If Makime and Otaku were the ice of the group, you and Anjing were definitely the fire.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

I loved both of your characters. You gave such a detailed story into how Matsu grew as a person, full of the burning confidence and solidarity that she always displayed in the face of a foe. She ended up going a more brutal and pragmatic route than the canonical one, but a lot of her still reflected the same character, with notes of a history that helped to explain how she came to be what she was.

Any regrets?
Did you actually expect to survive the Day of Thunder? (With her fighting style right up at the front, taking hits to cause harm and bolster the others? I expected her to go down hard.)
How are you thinking of wrapping her story up?
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Did anything from her mother in law rub off on her?

Saw plenty of memory Yamadono in how she carried herself, but was curious if that had any impact on her characterization.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Matsu

Post by Matsu »

Nozomi wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:59 am
I loved both of your characters. You gave such a detailed story into how Matsu grew as a person, full of the burning confidence and solidarity that she always displayed in the face of a foe. She ended up going a more brutal and pragmatic route than the canonical one, but a lot of her still reflected the same character, with notes of a history that helped to explain how she came to be what she was.

Any regrets?
Did you actually expect to survive the Day of Thunder? (With her fighting style right up at the front, taking hits to cause harm and bolster the others? I expected her to go down hard.)
How are you thinking of wrapping her story up?
1.) You never go into an L5R fight with a character unless you are prepared for them to die. I think the combination of her Blessing plus the Matsu Sentinel School tech of +2k0 to damage rolls for three rounds making hitting her means you suffer a Jade 5k3 hit something a GM would Honor (which Tyrus did!) but the smart enemy would eventually stop hitting when it's diminishing returns, so I wasn't surprised when she was still standing.

That being said, she was Earth 3 pure Matsu Sentinel, not Pa's Earth 4 Forest Killer. So I was fully prepared for her to die/sacrifice herself to save everyone else.

Her surviving was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

2.) Her story is done. She's in the place of being a retired character. Running the Matsu Family, and making the Spider armies the strongest in the Empire, and settling down with someone who is truly worthy of being her Spouse and Partner.

Which brings me to...
Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:01 am
Did anything from her mother in law rub off on her?

Saw plenty of memory Yamadono in how she carried herself, but was curious if that had any impact on her characterization.
Ryoko did rub off on Matsu. I made more mention of them in Dawn 3, of her half siblings in the Imperial caravan. Matsu remained close to the Ongaku as they traveled the lands.

But it's her image of Ryoko being the right partner for Yamadono when he needed it most, and how they complemented each other so well that made Matsu have such high standards for what to look for in a partner. Most of all, she has to have a partner who is just as musically inclined.

Just like Pa and Stepmom.

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

The question of Shang and Matsu wedding when? Oh my! That said I think we laid the groundwork for a good long-term relationship in the future! Marriage could be likely? That said, it seems rather obvious they come from two very different worlds and it was surprising even to me that Matsu seems to have found herself smitten with Shang. May I ask what she saw in her? She had some rather outlandish ideas and tangential muses while Matsu seems more grounded and has more hardened experience.
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

What are Matsu's next plans after building her own (capital) Family and School?
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade