Doji Hikaru

Re: Somehow I'm not Burned Out! (Birb Q&A)

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:08 pm
Darn it, I swear I had more, but I don't remember! Uh, come back to me!
Right!

Hikaru briefly talked with Hadananzi about saving Doji, and HN mentioned something about Lucid Dreaming. Lucid Dreaming did come up again, but not as regards helping Doji. Dropped for time, or a thread that I didn't tug at hard enough?

And oh yeah, is Hadananzi good now? How'd that happen? What did he get up to the last few game days? Should I have followed up with him regarding Lucid Dreaming?
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Did your plans for dreams/character interactions evolve a lot over the game or did you mostly brainstorm those up front when you saw the cast?
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Hisomu Tadaka

Post by Hisomu Tadaka »

I want to say thanks for running this. It was a blast.

I was wondering how did I get the "Goju meet the shaman who took his Name?" That surprised me greatly and gave him like the super happy ending that I wasn't expecting.

Also, would there have been anything special happen if he denied getting his Name back?

EDIT: Could we get the list of the NPC's that would have been Thunders if there was no PC for it?
Spider Clan Bushi * Ninja * Seeker of the Sea * Naval * Destined for Greatness * Captain of The Jolly Jellyfish * Formerly Hisomu Goju * Name Restored
Honor: Untrustworthy/Status: 3.0/Glory: 3.0
Items: Bronze Sword, Jade, Light Armor

Canary

Post by Canary »

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:00 am
Thank you so much for letting me come in late, even if it meant I didn't get into it as well as I'd have liked. Great winding up of things!

Now to consider who and what to do for the next game...
I'm glad you enjoyed while you were here! Next game should be fun and lightweight.
Doji Hikaru wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:50 am
Right!

Hikaru briefly talked with Hadananzi about saving Doji, and HN mentioned something about Lucid Dreaming. Lucid Dreaming did come up again, but not as regards helping Doji. Dropped for time, or a thread that I didn't tug at hard enough?

And oh yeah, is Hadananzi good now? How'd that happen? What did he get up to the last few game days? Should I have followed up with him regarding Lucid Dreaming?
I definitely needed to be tugged this game. I'm sorry I didn't do more with that. The general idea was actually what Doji and the Transcendents ended up doing - using force of will to split the Realm of Nightmares and the Realm of Dreams into separate realms.

He is. He actually told Ai the whole story (metaphorically) in this thread. If you don't want to read the whole thing, the short, short version is that the Realm of Mortals corrupted him, and he did love the people around him and only realized what he had lost when it was gone. Ukyou's been helping him deal with the Taint ever since. He's gonna be hermiting to work on ridding himself of the Taint. Me, Baku, and potentially Naraku are working on a new monk school related to that. He was around, helping villagers, generally being monkish.

You could have, and it might have had a different outcome, but still positive. I tend to adapt plotlines to the players.
Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:09 am
Did your plans for dreams/character interactions evolve a lot over the game or did you mostly brainstorm those up front when you saw the cast?
I brainstormed them literally as I was writing them. I had no plans. It was all off the cuff.
Hisomu Tadaka wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:28 am
I want to say thanks for running this. It was a blast.

I was wondering how did I get the "Goju meet the shaman who took his Name?" That surprised me greatly and gave him like the super happy ending that I wasn't expecting.

Also, would there have been anything special happen if he denied getting his Name back?

EDIT: Could we get the list of the NPC's that would have been Thunders if there was no PC for it?
I'm glad. As far as the shaman goes... it kinda comes down to that's what Goju's issue was and I thought it would be a fun way to deal with it. I felt like it, basically. XD; As far as denying getting his Name back, nothing super exciting; he would have continued as Goju and had a Nezumi friend.

I actually didn't have any backups in the end. We got enough people that I wasn't worried about having Thunders from each Clan. Luckily, Kenji and Otaku stuck it out until the end, which I appreciate.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Makime

Post by Makime »

Thanks for letting me have the chance to play Makime again. And especially for indulging in my desire to have a little sappy mother-daughter reconciliation. :oops:
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Oh right, what was the deal with the tainted needle-hand monster that showed up in the night to terrorize people?
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

I do absolutely love this setting. You never disappoint.

Who was dreaming of Meido?

What are the true origins and nature of the village? Is it as old as the graveyard suggested, or was that part of the dream?
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Canary

Post by Canary »

Makime wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:58 pm
Thanks for letting me have the chance to play Makime again. And especially for indulging in my desire to have a little sappy mother-daughter reconciliation. :oops:
Of course! I loved it, it was so sweet. And thank you for coming and bringing Makime. I know there was some stress, but she really did at a lot to the game.
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:53 pm
Oh right, what was the deal with the tainted needle-hand monster that showed up in the night to terrorize people?
They were The Harbinger's minions, corrupted dreams from Yume-Jigoku. They were going to induce the nightmares into the people who weren't drugged, but uh... everyone made their earth rolls or noticed them. XD
Ryoshun Nao wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:07 pm
I do absolutely love this setting. You never disappoint.

Who was dreaming of Meido?

What are the true origins and nature of the village? Is it as old as the graveyard suggested, or was that part of the dream?
I'm glad. More than anything, I've always just wanted to entertain people and share my art, ever since I was a kid. I'm glad I can do it here, even if it's stressful sometimes.

Kujo.

The region has always been a place where the veil between Yume-do and Ningen-do is thing; it's a natural side effect of the local geomancy lending itself that way, combined with a lot of natural energy currents converging here. Part of why there's a giant supply of jade under the hill. Because of that, it really did lend itself to prophetic dreams. Periodically, people would come for that, for healing, for all sorts of reasons, and it led to settlements coming around every once in a while. Places where dreams are so close can cause problems, though, which is why they generally left after a certain amount of time. Currently, the barrier is as thick here as anywhere since the dream version of the village is sealed away, but it will likely eventually become a dream oriented place again without major landscape changes. It won't be corrupt, though.

A variety of groups settled over the years, including some Naga and some Ogres.

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Thank you for running the game!

You mentioned the adaptive style that both you and Bakuriel use in the game. May I ask about the collaborative and work process that goes into the plot and events? I understand that there are plot changes and some goals need to be moved, especially with the Harbinger but would that have changed the conclusion of the game with the final fight with Shinsei and the Harbinger? Or was there an outcome where it wouldn't be Shinsei in the end? Was everything potentially fluid by player choice? I'm just curious because it does sound like it can get overwhelming, especially with the shorter windows of time between the day-to-day and running the game itself.
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Canary

Post by Canary »

Saru Shang wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:02 am
Thank you for running the game!

You mentioned the adaptive style that both you and Bakuriel use in the game. May I ask about the collaborative and work process that goes into the plot and events? I understand that there are plot changes and some goals need to be moved, especially with the Harbinger but would that have changed the conclusion of the game with the final fight with Shinsei and the Harbinger? Or was there an outcome where it wouldn't be Shinsei in the end? Was everything potentially fluid by player choice? I'm just curious because it does sound like it can get overwhelming, especially with the shorter windows of time between the day-to-day and running the game itself.
We had a few things set in stone, like Shinsei being the Champ, game was going to be seven days, with three days of exploration/investigation and four of rapid escalation. I saw some theorizing that that's why things changed after the Chouri reveal, but it was coincidental timing; we always planned to start escalating and reduce the mystery factor D4. The first like four days of events were set in stone, too.

A lot of things did change. Chouri's "human" side, Enrou was up in the air as far as which way he'd go, the later events weren't fully written, etc.

I'm doing my best, but the truth is I'm really not a good GM. I'm currently up in the air as to whether to run the next game. I'm tired of upsetting everyone I want to get along with. I just so tired.

Canary

Post by Canary »

I was told I should quit. They're probably right.

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Canary wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:34 am
You are a great GM, Boss Bird!
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Canary wrote:
I disagree.

Strenuously.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Thank you so so much for all your understanding and support. You made this fun for me and gave me a lot of good memories despite all my problems. I hate that those problems are put on other people, but hopefully I brought as much to the game as the game brought to my life.
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Canary wrote:
I legit don't know who is doing all this private bitching and moaning but whoever they are, from me to them, they can screw right off.

I'm very tired of people being so immature and taking it out on GMs all over a game and throwing fits because they didn't get to be 'special' or whatever.

Being a GM is extremely challenging, it's an endless balancing act of trying to take care of a bunch of people's different visions and try to give them all a chance to fit, even though some fit better than others. I've had to deal with this when I GM, I'm sure most other GMs have too. Canary has been wildly more willing to try and incorporate player ideas than most GMs, probably more than even necessary, and the only thanks seems to be more drama and childish gossip and hidden cruelty.

I'm very disappointed in everyone rushing out at the end of the game to complain instead of dealing with one another maturely, as adults, with an OOC and IC separation and an understanding that their characters are not them, and that none of this is real life - it is all a fantasy story.

I'm sorry that I can't offer enough offsetting positivity, but I really want to encourage the GM team to cast off the hate and be proud of doing the best they could. It isn't the GM's fault when players decide to act like petty children - and it's really unfortunate that people chose passive aggression and to bottle things up and then lash out indiscriminately instead of politely trying to work things out before they got heated.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:38 am
Canary wrote:
I legit don't know who is doing all this private bitching and moaning but whoever they are, from me to them, they can screw right off.

I'm very tired of people being so immature and taking it out on GMs all over a game and throwing fits because they didn't get to be 'special' or whatever.

Being a GM is extremely challenging, it's an endless balancing act of trying to take care of a bunch of people's different visions and try to give them all a chance to fit, even though some fit better than others. I've had to deal with this when I GM, I'm sure most other GMs have too. Canary has been wildly more willing to try and incorporate player ideas than most GMs, probably more than even necessary, and the only thanks seems to be more drama and childish gossip and hidden cruelty.

I'm very disappointed in everyone rushing out at the end of the game to complain instead of dealing with one another maturely, as adults, with an OOC and IC separation and an understanding that their characters are not them, and that none of this is real life - it is all a fantasy story.

I'm sorry that I can't offer enough offsetting positivity, but I really want to encourage the GM team to cast off the hate and be proud of doing the best they could. It isn't the GM's fault when players decide to act like petty children - and it's really unfortunate that people chose passive aggression and to bottle things up and then lash out indiscriminately instead of politely trying to work things out before they got heated.
QFT.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:38 am
Canary wrote:

Damn right
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

If you want to stop running games for ANY reason, do it -- you > any game, period -- but man, that sucks to hear. I hope that was said to you out of compassion and not anger; still not great either way but at least one comes from a place of care.

I'm sorry game has all been so rough for you after all the hard work you put into it and CONTINUE to put into it. Thank you for that work. Thank you for making something beautiful and fun.

Running large games is hard. Unfortunately large internet games can cause even the brightest stars to burn out. Do whatever you gotta do to be okay, you're the only you any of us gets (most of all for you). Lots of love from me and of course many others here. <3
BEST ENDING UNLOCKED: TRANSCENDENT NAME: Mother of Ten Thousand Dreams

Name 3: Great Name / Niche ?: Nameseeker? / Small / A babychild. / theme
Tiny thing carries around a ritual dagger.

Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

Chuchu wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:26 am
If you want to stop running games for ANY reason, do it -- you > any game, period -- but man, that sucks to hear. I hope that was said to you out of compassion and not anger; still not great either way but at least one comes from a place of care.

I'm sorry game has all been so rough for you after all the hard work you put into it and CONTINUE to put into it. Thank you for that work. Thank you for making something beautiful and fun.

Running large games is hard. Unfortunately large internet games can cause even the brightest stars to burn out. Do whatever you gotta do to be okay, you're the only you any of us gets (most of all for you). Lots of love from me and of course many others here. <3
I am one of those many others. Much love for Birb!
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Kai

Post by Kai »

I hope you don't give up making amazing games. I know I wasn't all in but I hope you continue making new history of Rokugan possible. GG!
*Flutist *Archer *Silent
Fatigue 0