Bakuriel

Travelling through the dark (carpal) tunnel - Underbirb Q&A

Post by Bakuriel »

I will admit there are several instances where I had fully intended to be more proactive and available for running NPCs left to my care, but various elements of RL no Oni made that a bit of a challenge. That said, I had a fantastic time helping to run this game, and the final race to the end on the day of thunder itself was a real nail-biter, and a lot more intense than I had initially expected it to be.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer them. ^^
AGM | Birb | Chonky | Floooooofy | Sub-Contractor of Horror | Experienced?

I charge by the anxiety attack.

Nanzi Ai

Re: Travelling through the dark (carpal) tunnel - Underbirb Q&A

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Et tu Shinsei? When did you decide on Shinsei or whatever it was as the big bad? Would we have seen more instances of that before the big reveal if you had been more active?
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:27 pm
Et tu Shinsei? When did you decide on Shinsei or whatever it was as the big bad? Would we have seen more instances of that before the big reveal if you had been more active?
Close to a month or so before the start of the game. I'll admit that I made a big push for that to be the case in this setting, as I've always been a big fan of having heavily emotionally charged swings coming at the players in moments like these to see how well they can adapt. If I'd been in better health (i.e. my hands not trying to murder me) we would have had a bit more characterization to demonstrate what was going on with him. All things considered, though, I do think it was handled well despite my absences.

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Somewhere Nanzi is smiling, and thank you and sorry for your pain.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:33 pm
Somewhere Nanzi is smiling, and thank you and sorry for your pain.
If you can believe it, I threw together that intro post to the thunder battle on a whim in about 5 minutes' worth of time while halfway asleep. And you'll be interested to know that Shinsei's self doubt at the very end of it all was at least partially fueled by Nanzi's not entirely unfounded criticisms of him and his character.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Loved Enrou and would have loved to interact more with him.

I think Enrou and Naraku could have been good friends
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:11 pm
Loved Enrou and would have loved to interact more with him.

I think Enrou and Naraku could have been good friends
I agree. Getting more time to interact with people through Enrou is something I wish I'd been able to manage during the game. I'm sure he had so many more sacrilegious things to say about all the kami and fortunes. xD

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

Just want to pop in and thank you for your work yet again on the game!

Sorry your hands aren’t doing well and I hope things improve as quickly as possible!

I have always loved your creativity and input into these games and thought the Shinsei heel turn was absolutely perfect for Dawn-verse.
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

It's unfortunate when RL acts up and prevents active posting from happening, including carpal tunnel. At the very least, it seems that you were able to keep an eye on OOC and post there. With being less active, were there things that you planned, had a hand in organizing or things on the to-do list that kind of fell by the wayside? Other plot points other than Shinsei's heel turn?
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel »

Saru Shang wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:14 pm
It's unfortunate when RL acts up and prevents active posting from happening, including carpal tunnel. At the very least, it seems that you were able to keep an eye on OOC and post there. With being less active, were there things that you planned, had a hand in organizing or things on the to-do list that kind of fell by the wayside? Other plot points other than Shinsei's heel turn?
For the most part, no. Between myself and the other GMs we managed to hammer out all the important points, I was just unable to flesh out some of the finer details and spend more time interacting with the players. My role in these games tends to weigh more heavily on story than mechanics, and the only things I feel got interrupted were putting finishing touches on already laid groundwork.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

SALUTE!

GM FORM QUESTIONS INBOUND!

1. Biggest curveball the players threw you? (That you are willing to talk about!)
2. Biggest curveball the game threw you?
3. Favorite moment?
4. Biggest missed opportunity?- ANSWERED, and health issues are no bueno. :(
5. Ready to sleep for a thousand years? :lol:
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Yoshitsune Ayako

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

Did Enrou end up surviving the Day of Thunder and its aftermath?

What was up with the stuff Enrou was smoking and/or sneaking into our food? Was he knowingly trying to corrupt us?
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:31 pm
What was up with the stuff Enrou was smoking and/or sneaking into our food? Was he knowingly trying to corrupt us?
I can answer this one!

He was, initially. Various characters talked him down.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:43 am
SALUTE!

GM FORM QUESTIONS INBOUND!

1. Biggest curveball the players threw you? (That you are willing to talk about!)
2. Biggest curveball the game threw you?
3. Favorite moment?
4. Biggest missed opportunity?- ANSWERED, and health issues are no bueno. :(
5. Ready to sleep for a thousand years? :lol:
1. Enrou having a genuine moment of empathy for Yukara after all the background setup he had as one of the villain characters going through the game. I wasn't entirely sure how likely it was that he'd change gears up until that point.
2. How easy it was for me to get into the mindset of Enrou. In each of these games I've had control of an NPC and wasn't sure how I'd approach the character, only for them to go off in their own wild direction.
3. Any time I had an opportunity for Enrou to say something snarky or sarcastic, which was quite a lot. Although Yukara wondering if Enrou was trying to wipe off her tribal marks was especially funny.
4. Losing out on more time to flesh out Enrou as a character and provide more insight as to the overall state of mind of Shinsei as he gradually lost the battle for control of his body.
5. You aren't suggesting I'm the next champion of Jigoku, are you?
Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:31 pm
Did Enrou end up surviving the Day of Thunder and its aftermath?

Enrou did survive the aftermath, if only because his medical knowledge was valuable enough to make his safety a priority. His fate post-game hasn't quite been decided yet.

As Sora mentioned, Enrou was originally poisoning everyone intentionally as part of the Harbinger's plans. Enrou had a deep-seated hatred for members of the Empire, partially fueled by the Harbinger lying and omitting important details regarding the Heavenfall incident and placing the blame entirely on them for the loss of his family. As a result, he spent most of the game blitzed on some concoction of herbs to keep himself mellowed out and level headed so he didn't verbally explode on someone and blow his cover every five seconds, at least up until he started to soften his viewpoint on them.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Bakuriel wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:33 pm
5. You aren't suggesting I'm the next champion of Jigoku, are you?
I mean, if the shoe fits... :lol:

Carries: