Jiyo Sora

Re: Festival Performance (D1 EA)

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Haka Soju wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:12 pm
Having escaped from a crowd of admirers, Soju makes her way over to Ai and Sora. "I hope you enjoyed the performance," she says, her mirth fading as she notices Sora's eye and makes a warding gesture.
He looked at where her eye had been and.... smiled.
Nanzi Ai wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:24 pm
“Haka-sama, your voice is lovely,” she said from behind her fan, “Have you had the pleasure of meeting Jiyo Sora, Imperial Librarian and one of the few to enter Hell and leave it relatively unscathed? A living legend and sometimes even Imperial babysitter.”

“And Jiyo-sama, this one is Haka Soju, masterful singer of the Scorpion, and my erstwhile tent mate for the moment. She educated me fondly on the history of her people before they joined Bayushi-ojisan.”
He bowed to to Soju.

"Interesting lyrics, and your dress reminds me a bit of Hikaru tribal style in my youth."
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"I do not know anything about the Hikaru," she replied, still staring at his eye. "Where were their lands?"

She gestured to her dress. "The bones keep evil spirits at bay. Keeps them distracted. Something more people should be doing in dark times."
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Haka Soju wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:37 pm
"I do not know anything about the Hikaru," she replied, still staring at his eye. "Where were their lands?"
"In the Spine of the World. My old friend Shinjo Koyama, who was Kozan when were both Hikaru, led most of the tribe into the Ki-Rin after challenging our old chief Chosaku for leadership. The small remainder who held out for a while, well..."

He nodded to the Scorpion.

"Ended up with Bayushi."
She gestured to her dress. "The bones keep evil spirits at bay. Keeps them distracted. Something more people should be doing in dark times."
"Ah, for us it was mostly decorative. The pieces of bone too small to use for anything else. We weren't a terribly spiritual tribe. Most of the threats we encountered were purely of Ningen-Do."
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju nods as he talks but her gaze never leaves his eye. "My people lived in the forest that is now in the south part of Kirin lands. There were many hungry ghosts. I am told that we were conquered once, long before I was born, but our would-be masters were devoured by the forest within a week. I do not know if that is true or not, but most tribes had learned to leave us alone."

"When that..." Soju carefully chose her words. "...woman Haka joined the Scorpion, she funneled many of my people into their ranks. Some went with the Bat, and presumably those who remained were made Kirin and moved elsewhere."
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Haka was an odd one, all right. And I've never known Bayushi to turn down an unfair advantage. So you folks were in the Shinomen?"

Carries:

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Sujo shakes her head. "No, further north than that. I believe the Kirin have started calling it the Forest of Dreamers, but it is much worse than the name makes it sound."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Oh, that one?"

Sora grimaced.

"Think the Shinomen might have been nicer."

Carries:

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"There are not many places that are worse. If there are..." Her voice trails off and she makes a 'just give up' gesture.

"For one thing," she picks up, "our tribe killed anyone with mismatched eyes at birth, because it was believed that they brought misfortune wherever they went." And here you are, she mentally added.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Mine just treated us like spirit-touched semi-outcasts, but life was too hard to throw away anyone healthy enough to hunt or fight."

He cocked his head.

"And I've been someplace worse, I can just about promise you that."

Carries:

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Yes? You have found yourself surrounded by great misfortune on other occasions? In addition to our current great misfortunes, which now also surround you Perhaps? Perhaps my people were right, then."

Her tone was more disappointed than sad, in the way that only a parent could be.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Helped yank a Kami out of Jigoku. Helped found the Imperial LIbrary system. Guarded the Emperor's daughters in their childhood, all successfully. Have five healthy children, one of whom's getting married soon. I'd say I've done all right."

Carries:

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"You should have stayed with your daughters" Soju replies, her tone flat. "Instead you go wandering off as an old man, seeking destiny and adventure? I would expect that from a young one with nothing to lose like Ai, but you are old enough to know better. Do you not think your daughters would rather have their father at their weddings?"

(Bayushi Courtier 3 vs Sora to learn one of his Mental or Social disadvantages, TN 38 -5 Tribal = 33 + 5 for every 3 points of Mental or Social disadvantages he possesses, resisted by Etiquette (Courtesy)/Awareness)

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Sora snorted.

"Believe me, I'd much rather be helping Kinyoubi with Reiko and Kozan right now. But I can't claim to have choices in this matter."

He paused.

"And it's a daughter and a son at home, actually. The eldest pair of girls are staying with the Dragon and Spider, and my middle son is staying with the Nezumi for the time being."

Assumption of daughters. Safe bet she has or had a pair, then.

"Anyway, if you ever run into Kakita, he can tell you what I think of Destiny. I've seen too many futures to believe in any one of them in particular."

[His 3k2 roll fails. He has a Fascination!]

Carries:

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"That part, at least, I agree with." A look of annoyance crosses her face. "Bur there is always a choice. Saying otherwise is just making excuses."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Sure. But if the other choice is so much worse, then it's no choice at all. I could have stayed home, watching my Boss get grimmer and grimmer, chopping up innocent peasants who just had the wrong dream some night. Or I could listen to the man who sent me to rescue a Kami and maybe help do something about all of this."

Carries:

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"You assume that staying there would be worse, and that there were only two choices." Soju shrugs, dropping the matter. "But, I do not want to argue about how a grown man should or should not have done things. You do not seem like the sort of person who changes his mind very often."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"It generally does take a revelation of some kind, yes. Nanzi-san might have heard some tales about how I regarded the Kami at first, for example."

He paused.

"I was largely disappointed, initially."

Carries:

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju’s eyebrows raise, and she crosses her arms over her chest. "Oh? Do tell."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"I came down from the mountains to the Seppun lands because I'd heard of these gods who fell from the heavens and saved the Seppun tribe from the Noriaki. I was hoping for something more, something better than I had among the Hikaru, killing people for being on the wrong side of a river, stealing goats from time to time, getting into stupid fights, hunting animals all over the Spine of the World. And who better to deliver on that promise than actual gods?"

He shrugged.

"So you can imagine my disappointment when I arrived to find that they were basically just big people. Oh, very strong, very skilled, very intelligent people, but people all the same. No flying through the air or hurling lightning bolts or any of that. Worse yet, to my eyes, most of them offered nothing to the Hikaru, no future for my people. They could teach good farming? We didn't farm. It wasn't who we were. They could protect some flatlanders from the Noriaki? What did that matter to me? I'd killed my own share of Noriaki by that point. And many of the Kami seemed intent on recreating the remembered perfect order of Tengoku here in NIngen-do, without regard to the fact that Ningen-do is not Tengoku and humans are not perfect beings."

He chuckled, shaking his head.

"In my youthful anger, I actually took a leak on a wall Hida had built, because he reminded me so much of my own chief, only bigger, that his sense of self-importance was more than I could bear. And most of the Kami- including, my apologies, Nanzi-san, your mother- struck me as leaders I could not follow. Hida, Hantei, and Akodo all more or less said that the tribes would either join the Empire wholesale or be driven out by force of arms, their customs cast aside in favor of the new order. Doji... well. I do not think she or I could understand one another in the slightest, because she hid her concerns behind manners I was not equipped to penetrate at that point in my life. Bayushi didn't trust his own face not to betray him, so how could I trust him? Ryoshun was dead, Hisomu was missing, and their adherents were... nice enough people, so far as it went, but neither of those Kami stood to rule."

Sora made an oblique gesture toward his eye.

"This thing... shows me the future sometimes. Usually so I can avert it. But when i looked upon the Kami, they shaped so many futures, each of them, that it was almost painful, an endless whirl of possibility. But much of what I saw appalled me. Of the ten Kami, two weren't present, and five offered no future as ruler that I wanted any part of. I actually attended a meeting of those who would have no Kami rule over us."

Here, he gave a derisive snort.

"There was no future there, either, only people united solely by their fear of what was coming, with no better plan than armed opposition. They had no serious way to prevent what was coming, only a defiance that ranged from heroic to utterly self-serving. So."

He gave another shrug.

"There were three Kami in a position to rule who didn't... alarm me on some level. Togashi was... enigmatic, but his followers seemed a tolerant bunch, and his plans for the Tribes were less... binary than Akodo's, Hida's, or Hantei's. Shinjo? The first thing I saw her doing was getting her hands dirty building not some stupid wall with no warriors to guard it, but a bathhouse for everyone to use. My old friend Koyama ended up winning her heart and marrying her, and I might have been happy with her on the throne, I don't know. She seemed so enraptured by exploring the new world she found herself in, it was... charming. But I didn't see a future for myself serving her directly. Not as a place to belong."

A pause, perhaps for breath, perhaps for a realistic interjection of some sort by one of the other people present.

"Which brings us to the Boss. I saw the same mixture of futures in many respect, some good, some bad, but... he always... listened to humans. He understood that our customs existed for reasons, and he would listen to my worries, even when I barely knew how to form them into coherent speech. So I figured I would follow him on his early travels, bring him the concerns of humanity as best I was able, and if the Empire were headed in one of the directions I feared, well, I would take my leave of it at the border."

His expression twisted into a wry grin.

"So imagine my surprise when Shiba won. After all of the noise I'd made about how the Kami had as much to learn as they did to teach, about how they had to listen to us, I could hardly just wander off."

His hand strayed up to smooth his beard.

"To this day, I bring the Boss such human worries as come to my attention. And when he asked me to serve as the protector of his children- his children born of the woman whose name I carry? For me, there was no going back. It wasn't divine power or wisdom I followed Shiba for. It was his humanity."

As he ended this rather lengthy speech, he cocked his head to the side.

"But it sounds like your journey to the Scorpion Clan was a very different one from my journey to the Imperial Families, and I'm getting quite sick of the sound of my own voice, so if you would care to share, Haka-san, feel free. You've listened to this much of my blithering, after all."

[ooc: Monologue of DHOOM to spare us a lot of 'uh-huh" back and forthing :lol: ]

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

"Thank you for the history lesson, Jiyo-sama, it is appreciated," she replied.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings