Hisomu Reo wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:21 pm
snip
"Definitely much bigger bets."

Akutou turns to the other, touches his hat-brim, says "Damned fine shot, sir."

With a nod, he adds "Otomo Akutou."
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Akodo Kenji

Re: The Festival Begins! [Event, D1 ME]

Post by Akodo Kenji »

"Well, if you three want to start gambling I'll likely bow out." Kenji said with a shack of his head. "My shot was a bit more luck than skill after all." He continued offering a smile at the children, who were most likely thoroughly impressed with the display they had just witnessed.

"And I don't want to lose my sandals in a contest I can't win." The young lion finished with a chuckle.
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

Akodo Kenji wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:07 pm
snip
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:13 pm
snip
Reiko Ohta wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:25 pm
snip
"Ha! I got you to call me "sensei" instead of "sama!"
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:28 pm
"Definitely much bigger bets."

Akutou turns to the other, touches his hat-brim, says "Damned fine shot, sir."

With a nod, he adds "Otomo Akutou."
"Hisomu Reo. And one of Ohta's teachers, if you haven't guessed." Reo offers a smile at the group.

"If you want to raise the stakes, I'm happy to have an old timer set the mark and let the young ones chase the mark."

Reo puts a bu down on the counter and lines up his bow.

"Let's see if the old man has still got it."

Reo goes for an even more complex shot, settling in with a strange amount of casual ease.

Market Archery contest: still target TN 10 with 5 raises, Gaze of Sun Tao technique (modified) | 9k4+5 ⇒ 49 (TN: 35)

He chuckles as the shot goes home.
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Akodo Kenji wrote:
snip
Reiko Ohta wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:25 pm
snip
Hisomu Reo wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:36 pm
superior archery
"I know when I'm whipped, sir!" Akutou laughs.

He nods to Ohta and adds "That, there, is a shootist, ma'am."
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Akodo Kenji wrote:
snip
Otomo Akutou wrote:
snip
Hisomu Reo wrote:
snip]
"I mean, it would be irresponsible of me to do anything but support the person who taught me kyuujustu in the first place, either in betting or acknowledging he is a 'shootist'. Respect one's elders and what-not."

Reo WAS a show off, but with good reason. Though she feared maybe he was trying to impress her more than the Lion or Stag.
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Reiko Ohta wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:43 pm
Otomo Akutou wrote:
snip
Hisomu Reo wrote:
snip]
snip
"Looks like you get to keep your bu after all then." Kenji said with a shake of his head as the other archers bowed out of the competition. "Seems, your clan picked well when they made you a sensei."

He moved forward to collect whatever small prize he might have won and offered it to one of the children. "That's yours to keep young one." The Lion said before turning back to the group. "If we're going to compete though maybe something else? Since a winner has already been decided here." He pointed to a table with a game of Daruma Otoshi. "Perhaps that?"
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

Akodo Kenji wrote:
snip
"You should see what my wife can do" Reo places the bow back on the counter and pockets the coin. He take his prizes and tosses them to the small children before he looks at the other two.
Otomo Akutou wrote:
snip
Reiko Ohta wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:43 pm
-snip-
Reo smiles at Ohta. "Go. Have fun. I won't wait up." He limps off to go back to the stalls.

It's been too long since I've done field work. And I'd rather do that then face a charging Ogre again

He goes back to checking the wares in the stalls.
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Haka Soju wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:59 pm
Soju drifted over to the musicians, preparing for her second performance of the day. Someone had pressed a cup of something warm into her hands, and since they didn't look like her daughter, she assumed it was safe to drink. A bit bitter, perhaps, but it would keep her warm until it was her time to sing.
Along with the other two who were showing their talents and offering their skills to the performance, there were a few others nearby. Nozomi seated herself with a bow to those present, a small clay flute in one of her hands. Few still played ones like this, and the tones it made didn't really match the music being played, so she didn't offer at first to join in, not unless they spoke to her.

But, seeing the Scorpion, she bowed to her and cleared her throat. "Good evening," she said. "Name's Nozomi. It's good to see the Scorpion clan here." And, though she didn't say anything too specific? She was a little relieved not to see a couple of her friends from their ranks just yet. The thought of it worried her.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Nozomi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:08 pm
But, seeing the Scorpion, she bowed to her and cleared her throat. "Good evening," she said. "Name's Nozomi. It's good to see the Scorpion clan here." And, though she didn't say anything too specific? She was a little relieved not to see a couple of her friends from their ranks just yet. The thought of it worried her.
Soju inclined her head in greeting. "Thank you. I'm Haka Soju." She lowers her drink, holding it with both hands. "I've heard that there are a few of us around. Are you hear for the festival, or the epic battle of destiny that so many are expecting?"
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Akodo Kenji wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:51 pm
snip
Hisomu Reo wrote:
snip]
Watching Reo excuse herself, Ohta turned back to the other two samurai thoughtfully, "You two gave up so easily? I never thought Hisomu-sama to be that intimidating. Even if he did make that shot under a leg."
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Haka Soju wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:23 pm
Soju inclined her head in greeting. "Thank you. I'm Haka Soju." She lowers her drink, holding it with both hands. "I've heard that there are a few of us around. Are you hear for the festival, or the epic battle of destiny that so many are expecting?"
"Haka... that's a name that brings back memories," she said, her eyes quietly closing for a moment. She was remembering a small, frail woman long ago who never seemed all that bothered by her blindness, and who had a knack for being just a little disturbing every time they spoke. "I wonder how she is..."

"Oh, hah." She barked out a quick laugh that was almost a yip. "I came following the Teacher, which I am known to do from time to time. As for why I am here? We will see the answer in time, though I have a bit of a bad feeling right now." She said it like someone who always had a bad feeling about things. "For tonight, though, I'm hoping to enjoy the festival."
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Reiko Ohta wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:25 pm
snip
Akodo Kenji wrote:
snip
Hisomu Reo wrote:
snip]
"I know when t' bow to greater expertise," Akutou says. "An' I'll admit t' havin' more t' learn."

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Nozomi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:29 pm

"Haka... that's a name that brings back memories," she said, her eyes quietly closing for a moment. She was remembering a small, frail woman long ago who never seemed all that bothered by her blindness, and who had a knack for being just a little disturbing every time they spoke. "I wonder how she is..."

"Oh, hah." She barked out a quick laugh that was almost a yip. "I came following the Teacher, which I am known to do from time to time. As for why I am here? We will see the answer in time, though I have a bit of a bad feeling right now." She said it like someone who always had a bad feeling about things. "For tonight, though, I'm hoping to enjoy the festival."
"Good. I don't want to see anyone ruining things by running around and shouting about the end of all things. Festivals should be times of celebration."

She made a vague gesture to the musicians behind her. "I am preparing to sing once everyone is ready. It should be entertaining, so please hang around and listen."
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Hantei Genji

Post by Hantei Genji »

Genji observed the kids with a smile on his face, then moved towards the center. He looked forward to the music, but also more to whatever is going to happen potentially...

(OOC: pM if interested, but expect glacial pace this week)
Stag Prodigy * Potential Thunderstag * Golden Boy * Happily married
Honor: Honorable * Status: 4.0 * Glory: 2.0

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:31 pm
Reiko Ohta wrote:
snip
Akodo Kenji wrote:
snip
Hisomu Reo wrote:
snip]
"I know when t' bow to greater expertise," Akutou says. "An' I'll admit t' havin' more t' learn."
Kenji gave a respectful nod to the other man as he left. "I was just trying to get things started." He said with a light chuckle. "I never professed to being an excellent shot. I expected the pair of you to pick up the challenge ."

"But that's all in the past now I suppose."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Haka Soju wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:35 pm
"Good. I don't want to see anyone ruining things by running around and shouting about the end of all things. Festivals should be times of celebration."

She made a vague gesture to the musicians behind her. "I am preparing to sing once everyone is ready. It should be entertaining, so please hang around and listen."
She chuckled mirthlessly. "I think others will say the quiet parts about gloom and doom out loud soon enough without me. Let's hope not tonight. Nothing wrong with a little celebration now and again." Her eyes brightened a little. "And good. I'll look forward to it. My own musical talents are ... barely worth mentioning, and the instrument isn't suited to this kind of festival, so I'll probably wait for a point later, when things are winding down."

"If you don't mind me asking, are you a priest? I know quite a few of the family have joined that order."

Otaku Xiaochen

Post by Otaku Xiaochen »

Xiaochen observed the impromptu archery contest with some attention. She'd arrived late; no need to strut her own stuff. But, then, a person liked to keep in form, and while she couldn't imagine shooting as elegantly as that Spider fella, she wasn't gonna hide in the tall grass either.

She set her jaw, strung her bow, and set to work.

Stationary Target 10, 3 called raises. | 9k4+7 ⇒ 43 (TN: 25)

The whistle of the arrow followed by a very satisfying thunk. It was different with her feet firmly on the ground, but she'd done what she set out to do. With a firm nod of satisfaction, she went to go get a drink.
Ki-rin Clan * Bushi * The Lady of the Steppe * Way of Horse and Bow *

Honor: Exceptional, Glory: 3.0, Status: 1
Equipment: Light Armor, Yumi, Jade, Daisho, Violence, Poise
Zhanshi

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Nozomi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:52 pm

She chuckled mirthlessly. "I think others will say the quiet parts about gloom and doom out loud soon enough without me. Let's hope not tonight. Nothing wrong with a little celebration now and again." Her eyes brightened a little. "And good. I'll look forward to it. My own musical talents are ... barely worth mentioning, and the instrument isn't suited to this kind of festival, so I'll probably wait for a point later, when things are winding down."

"If you don't mind me asking, are you a priest? I know quite a few of the family have joined that order."
"No," she said, shaking her head. "I am a singer, and little else. To be honest, I do not put much trust in priests of any sort."

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Otaku Xiaochen wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:03 pm
Good shot and getting a shot
Akodo Kenji wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:50 pm
Tag
Reiko Ohta wrote:
You're
Hisomu Reo wrote:
It
Akutou sees the shot, tips his hat to the familiar Ki-RIn.

To the others present, he says "That there were Otaku Xiaochen. Ran into 'er yesterday. Seems a solid sort."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Haka Soju wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:06 pm
"No," she said, shaking her head. "I am a singer, and little else. To be honest, I do not put much trust in priests of any sort."
'From the little I remember? Can't say I'm surprised a few would not trust them.' Of course, Haka had never been entirely clear on all the details, or maybe she'd been too disturbed to ask. "They have their ways. I will probably never truly understand. I'm just a hunter myself who started a new path once upon a time. I don't think I've ever heard the songs of the Scorpion, so this will be new." The hikari had never been big on music. Too much noise attracted predators.