Nanzi Ai

Re: Festival Performance (D1 EA)

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“I am glad we have all found some common ground on which we can tread.”

She turned to Sora and said, “I think a summary of facts would be useful and then perhaps list the various sources maybe? We would need an army of scribes to supply scrolls and texts to so many libraries.”

She then turned to Soju and said, “Is this notion or belief that my family has brought ruin to the world, a common tale? After all the good they have done, do they not see that they will lead better lives under the guidance of the Son of Heaven?”
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Life is better for those who are samurai," Soju says, her mood turning more serious. "Larger houses, more food, many luxuries to enjoy. Your family has done much for those they placed in power. For those who are not samurai... many of them were moved from their ancestral homes, where their families werw buried, to new lands. Part of their harvests are now taken for their new lords, and they live in homes much like before. A samurai can kill them because their honor was offended, and what can they do?"

"They have lost their freedom. If a village under Crane control decided it did not want to be a Crane village, would the Crane say 'farewell, we will miss you,' or would samurai ride in, kill those responsible, and ensure that everyone gets back to work? How many of them did you consult before you made important decisions in the winter courts? Or did you just sit around with samurai friends and decide their fates because you know best?"

She motions to Ai. "You said that you tried your hand at planting and discovered you were not good at it, so you went back to being a samurai. A peasant does not have that choice."

Soju shrugs. "But let us set that inequality of the system aside and look at the big picture. Before, you had to worry about bandits sometimes, ghosts if you were Shoji. Other tribes surely had their own problems. But now, walking nightmares stalk the land, people explode into twisted monsters that kill everyone nearby, and everyone is terrified that the very world might endat any moment." She shakes her head. "Things are worse than they ever were before the sky gods fell. The very world is coming undone. I do not think that many people would say things are better today than they were the day before the gods fell."
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"The troubles were coming, regardless."

Sora sighed.

"The histories of the Nezumi and the ruins of Volturnum were quite clear on that. Jigoku makes these attempts every thousand years in a cycle. The Five Ancient Races had to fight Jigoku, the Ogres had to fight Jigoku. Now it's our turn."
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Perhaps." She shrugs again. "Perhaps not. No matter what you two may believe, most people - normal people - do not know a spirit realm from a village on the other side of the Empire. If you tell them that the realm of sharp sticks is agitated, and as a result the king of leaves has become corrupted by the power of raccoons and seeks to conquer the realm of tatami mats... honestly, that makes as much sense to them as what is actually happening. Probably more sense," she admits. "All that spirit realm talk is just nonsense if you don't already know what you're talking about."
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Based upon many of the things Soju was saying, Sora half-suspected she'd fallen into the Empire from another Spirit Realm herself. Possibly Sakkaku. He certainly wasn't inclined to get further into the weeds with someone inhabiting an alternate reality, so he just shrugged.

She was unaware of the scope of the Imperial Libraries, unaware of the Civil Service examinations, unaware of the wandering monks of the Brotherhood and their mandate to teach and administer the examinations, unaware of the Spirit Realm wardens Yuzuru had sent all over the Empire, unaware of the careful efforts to preserve tribal lore, including that of the spirit realms, unaware, it seemed, of everything that might get in the way of her discontent on any level.

Which must mean she wanted to be, and would not welcome detailed attempt to alleviate her lack of awareness.

"Again, I think you are too stingy in giving people credit, Haka-san, but as one who knows his own, I doubt persuasion on any matter where you've made up your mind will come without some great revelation. And as I have none to offer, there seems little point in belaboring the argument. Again, I congratulate you on your skill at music. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated at the festival."
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju left.

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Ai was surprised by the abrupt departure. She kept a practiced smile and said, "Bayushi-ojisan has gathered such astounding individuals."
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"It would seem so."

Sora sighed, then gave the young Crane a sidelong smile.

"When next you see your father, you may tell him I have a greater appreciation for what it was like talking to me all those years ago."

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

She is taken aback by the comment and said, “I can hardly see Jiyo-sama being so… obstinate. She carries some very strong opinions and a great deal of negativity to members of my family. Is this a common notion throughout the Empire?”

“I cannot say I ever encountered such vitriol in my travels.”

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Nanzi-san, I have been to the lands of every single Clan, and I can assure you, views like hers are a vanishing rarity."

Especially after the first few years. How many would-be assassins of Tokiwa had he personally killed? He actually didn't remember, because killing them hadn't bothered him the slightest. Anyone who would willingly set out to harm a child deserved nothing better.

"If anything, I find that most people treat us a little too uncritically, expecting us to have all of the answers... the Emperor is Tengoku's chosen ruler, and your family members are likewise children of the Sun and Moon, and their intentions, even when I disagree with how they seek to do things, are always for the best. But they're not perfect beings, and we, their servants, are even less so."

He sighed.

"As I told her, one of my chief functions, aided by my frequent travels, is relaying the concerns of ordinary mortals to the Emperor. I can say with all sincerity that he has always listened. He hasn't always acted in accord with those concerns, but he hears them."

He favored the young Crane with a crooked grin.

"I would say the most common worldview would be perhaps three quarters of the way from hers to yours. Your family ties and your upbringing lead you to miss some of the difficulties with our system, but at least you aren't poisoned by hatred."

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“Hatred is untoward even to our enemies, it blinds us from other possible alternatives. We are not naïve of course, but if we use the blade to guide our enemies to a more peaceful and diplomatic solution then so be it,” she said calmly.

“I regret I did not fully understand all of the notions she proposed, it seems alien to anything I have known. Perhaps a blind spot? I am seeing that even after my travels I still have many potential blind spots in my understanding of the world.”

“I had a question if it not be too much a bother, Jiyo-sama,” she finished.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Nanzi-san, you've come here to do all in your power to defend the Empire and every living soul in it. No question is a bother under those conditions."

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“Shinsei was clear that there would be nine champions, one for each clan; yet there are many here that do not cleanly adhere to any clan or are of the Imperial families; there is concern that they are sidelined or not able to aid the effort,” she said trying to word things correctly.

“What if say one believes that they are here to be a Thunder but due to birth are not able to be chosen?” she finished with. “I would think that there will be many roles here, just as in the Rescue, but those that are concerned feel that is not enough.”

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

He blinked at her. Then he actually giggled. Then guffawed. Then got himself under control.

"Sorry, sorry, Nanzi-san. You should tell Han-Hei that without the defenders around the Pit, we would never have rescued Hisomu, and that those defenders actually suffered greater physical harm than any of us who went into Jigoku. Taochusu died, and we remember his sacrifice, to be sure, but many forget that others fought and bled to keep us safe."

He started to snicker again.

"Sorry, sorry. But maybe she'll listen if you tell her. Damn kid."

Despite the words, his tone was downright paternal.

"Look, I won't be a Thunder, but Shinsei asked me here, and I doubt he did that for my charming social graces. I strongly suspect we'll have plenty to keep us busy while the chosen Nine face Jigoku's champion."

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

She frowned for a moment, she thought she had been subtle but relented and said, “Ahh ahem, yes, Han-Hei was concerned; I am not sure they will listen they seem convinced this is their destiny.”

“Anything short of being a Thunder is seen as a slight; I did not think she recognizes how much special privileges she has to just leave her post and do as she please. I digress, this is not helpful. But I am hoping to speak with the monks tomorrow or may have more wisdom on why things are as they are.”

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"She's always been stubborn. One of her finer qualities, in my estimation. Even when it drives me insane. Maybe tell her she now gets to experience a taste of what her father goes through, whenever others have to fight and die in his name and he can't be there."

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

"Good point, I was trying to allude to that but maybe something more direct will work," she responded.

"Thank you."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Happy to help, Nanzi-san."

He grinned.

"Since we're stuck here, I can hardly drag her away by her heels. Hell, even if we weren't, it'd be a hell of a lot harder for me these days..."

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“Yes, I admire her autonomy; still I was not best pleased to see her here given what I expected to come to pass. I have far too many cousins here. Far too many chances for tragedy and sadness,” she lamented.

“I will do my best to lookout for her, even if she does not want us to. She’s family and a the daughter of Heaven.”

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"I had my way, it'd only be us older types having to go through this. All of you have so many years ahead of you, so much you could do or be. Makime, Anjing, me? We've got some miles left in us, but we also have children to carry on when we're gone, and we've become who we're going to be."

Sora sighed, and then shrugged.

"But that's life for you."

Carries: