Anjing

The Festive Spirit [Day 1, EE, Expecting]

Post by Anjing »

Anjing watches the apparently very happier villagers very happily prepare for the festival. It wasn't quite what she had been expecting. But then again, she didn't know what exactly she had been expecting.

There were children smiling while spiced meat cooked. Lots of smiles really. It all seemed rather wholesome. Surely this couldn't have been the festival Shinsei meant. This must be the pre-festival. Doubtless an important festival required a small warm up festival first.

It felt very nice, but the fog was still there, dampening everything. She shivered. Leaning up against a small house next to one of the fires cooking the meat. She'd watch for a bit longer.
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Re: The Festive Spirit [Day 1, EE, Expecting]

Post by Sukuna »

The young monk had spent some time offering help to those who wanted it while setting up. This is the least she could do to repay them for the hospitality.

It didn’t take long to notice the other outsider hanging around the festival preparations and Sukuna decided to approach.

“I hope I can get used to this moist chill in the air soon enough.” There’s a small chuckle that comes from the monk as she rubs her arms through her robes.
Monk • Enlightened • Red of Hair • Eyes of Jade
Honor: What is expected | Status: Monk | Glory: 2.0

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:27 pm
The young monk had spent some time offering help to those who wanted it while setting up. This is the least she could do to repay them for the hospitality.

It didn’t take long to notice the other outsider hanging around the festival preparations and Sukuna decided to approach.

“I hope I can get used to this moist chill in the air soon enough.” There’s a small chuckle that comes from the monk as she rubs her arms through her robes.
Anjing grunts in agreement turning to the sound of the voice.

"I'm just tired of being damp, although if that's the worse discomfort I experience here I'll thank the fortunes."
Her expression turns curious as she realises she's talking to a monk...and then it becomes a little suspicious.
"Are you one of Shinsei's? I'm happily married you know."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

That really catches Sukuna off guard. She can’t quite respond to that for a good few seconds before she was able to compose herself. “Ah, yes, I am one of Shinsei’s disciples, but I am unsure why you being married is an issue when it comes to idle chatter and conversation? Did I miss something important about some cultural norm amongst certain Samurai?”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:01 pm
That really catches Sukuna off guard. She can’t quite respond to that for a good few seconds before she was able to compose herself. “Ah, yes, I am one of Shinsei’s disciples, but I am unsure why you being married is an issue when it comes to idle chatter and conversation? Did I miss something important about some cultural norm amongst certain Samurai?”
"Would probably depend on the samurai. At least among the Crab there're certain things that are a little different if you have a partner."
'idle chatter and conversation'? What sort of euphemism was that?

"Look you seem pretty earnest. But Shinsei..." She frowns, trying to work out how to word it delicately. "And it's not that I'm a prude or a grumpy old woman. Well, I am a grumpy old woman, but not about that. And if you enjoy what you're doing, it's not my business."

Anjing's frown only deepens. "But, well I've heard some stories. So, if he's annoying you I'll go give him a clip around the ears, you here?"
She nods, yeah, that had probably cleared up any confusion.
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

Confusion and concern crosses her features. “Annoying me? I can’t exactly say he has. I’m usually practicing away from my fellow monks. I spend more time wandering between villages and offering aid when needed.”

“Though, I apologize if I have caused any confusion.”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:48 pm
Confusion and concern crosses her features. “Annoying me? I can’t exactly say he has. I’m usually practicing away from my fellow monks. I spend more time wandering between villages and offering aid when needed.”

“Though, I apologize if I have caused any confusion.”
"That's good to hear. That's he's not bothering you, not that you're...doing that stuff with your fellow monks and travelling around. Although that's fine too."

She sighs. Time to bite the blade.

"What exactly do your duties and the aid you offer entail?"
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

“Depends on the needs of the village in particular. I have done some training in medicinal care in case of illness in the area. Or injuries.” Sukuna hides her hands in the sleeves of her robes and looks around the village. “Sometimes it’s helping in construction.”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:44 am
“Depends on the needs of the village in particular. I have done some training in medicinal care in case of illness in the area. Or injuries.” Sukuna hides her hands in the sleeves of her robes and looks around the village. “Sometimes it’s helping in construction.”
"Oh? That...actually sounds quite useful."
Anjing reassess the monk.

"In times like these your skills must be in high demand. So you just...travel around, helping people?"
Her tone implies considerable scepticism.
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

“There’s always some place in need.” Sukuna answers simply, a slight smile crossing her features. “Paying forward kindness that I have received.”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:16 am
“There’s always some place in need.” Sukuna answers simply, a slight smile crossing her features. “Paying forward kindness that I have received.”
"Right...I can't imagine you receive a lot back in return. Gratitude and a task well done is good and all, but they don't put food on the table. No Crab will tell you different."

She gestures over to the meat being cooked for the festival. "Have you eaten? Hmmm, not I look at you you are a bit skinny. Got family like you. Let me guess, you serve everyone else at the table and only eat if there's anything left?"
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

“Villages tend to be hospitable and lend grains and some vegetables if they can spare. Regardless, I cook a lot with wild vegetables.”

The meat skewers don’t really seem to catch much attention from the monk. “I had something to eat before starting. I might partake during the festival, but I am satiated for now.”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:24 am
“Villages tend to be hospitable and lend grains and some vegetables if they can spare. Regardless, I cook a lot with wild vegetables.”

The meat skewers don’t really seem to catch much attention from the monk. “I had something to eat before starting. I might partake during the festival, but I am satiated for now.”
"You really are a monk."
Although that sounds at least like a complement.

"So you're good at medicine and construction...and you've come here to help. Can you defend yourself?" She arches an eyebrow.
"I've heard some mystics have great martial powers. But you seem very skinny."
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

“Oh? Yes. I have to keep up with my hand-to-hand practice. I have to be able to defend myself on the road.” She lifts up her sleeve slightly to show that she isn’t skinny but rather lean. “Keeping one’s body in condition helps the mind.”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:12 am
“Oh? Yes. I have to keep up with my hand-to-hand practice. I have to be able to defend myself on the road.” She lifts up her sleeve slightly to show that she isn’t skinny but rather lean. “Keeping one’s body in condition helps the mind.”
"Hmmm, still skinny if you ask me." She nods approvingly all the same though. "It's good you can handle yourself. I'm taking you out of the 'civilians' category' and putting you there with the 'warriors' so if any corrupted monsters turn up...punch them I guess."

A slight frown. "Or maybe be in the second line, you can treat the wounded as needed."

With a tone of slight incredulity. "If you liked medicine, construction and eating wild vegetables you should have joined the Crab. Why do you decided to become a disciple of Shinsei?"
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

“The freedom to move about. And… I feel it’s my purpose to help people in small settlements.” The monk takes a moment to look around and take in all the people setting up. “I was denied this kind of living but it doesn’t mean I can’t help them maintain it.”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:31 am
“The freedom to move about. And… I feel it’s my purpose to help people in small settlements.” The monk takes a moment to look around and take in all the people setting up. “I was denied this kind of living but it doesn’t mean I can’t help them maintain it.”
"Just altruism?"
She follows Sukuna's gaze.

"Hard childhood then?"
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

“When I was a young teen, I was cast out of my family because they couldn’t feed all of us. My elder brother was preferable to keep and the ones younger than me would have died.” Sukuna freely admits, like she doesn’t think much of it at all. “I survived from the kindness of others. And I wish for others to benefit as well.”

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sukuna wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:47 am
“When I was a young teen, I was cast out of my family because they couldn’t feed all of us. My elder brother was preferable to keep and the ones younger than me would have died.” Sukuna freely admits, like she doesn’t think much of it at all. “I survived from the kindness of others. And I wish for others to benefit as well.”
It's Anjing's turn to be shocked to silence for a few moments.

"That's a dark thing. Even if there wasn't enough food to go around, for your own family to do that."
Her frown deepens.
"Sometimes family is all you have. If you don't have people around you to rely on, who can rely on you, you have nothing. Who will tell your stories after you're gone."

A little incredulous. "You seem to have dealt with that...better than many others."
Great Destiny

Sukuna

Post by Sukuna »

At least the Crab seemed to value all their family. That’s a point in favor of them to Sukuna, as she can’t help but warmly smile at Anjing’s concern. “I have come to terms with it, yes. It may be dark, but if I were still with them I wouldn’t be helping people. I would have been some farmer’s wife.”