Togashi Satsuki

One Thousand Paper Cranes [D4, LM]

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Origami had never been Satsuki's strength, but she knew how to fold a basic paper-crane. It was one of the things her mother Saruko had learned from Lady Doji, and it had been passed on to her children. On rainy days, they had sometimes made paper animals to entertain themselves, and it seemed perfect today for just that.

She had made drawings of how to fold the paper into a crane, one of the easiest and most basic forms of origami. And thrown the last coins she had with her as well as traded some southern spices for all the paper she could get her hands on. Quantity over quality this time.

So Togashi Satsuki made the rounds of the village and later the camp, all along the way sharing out bits of paper and instructions on how to make a paper-crane, while she told stories of Lady Doji. Sure, she had been in a fight for her life not too long ago today, but this was more important right now.

Lady Doji depended on every bit of strength they could give her. And so she told the stories of how Doji kept the Kami's hopes alight while they were trapped in their father's stomach, she told the story of the tasks she gave to Nanzi to win her hand in marriage, she told stories of her beauty and kindness, of her wisdom and patience. And of her courageous defense of them all, standing against nightmares and evil in the corrupted dream-realm.

------------

D4 LM Perform: Storytelling/Awareness [Sensation]. Crane Tattoo +3k0. 1 raise to be more engaging! | 7k3 ⇒ 26 (TN: 20)

Those who want to fold origami cranes on Day 4:
If you don't have paper, assume you have!
Use Artisan: Origami. For every 5 you roll, you made a paper-crane in that timeslot!

And don't forget to pray to Lady Doji!
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Doji Hikaru

Re: One Thousand Paper Cranes [D4, LM]

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Was there any question as to if Hikaru was going to be there? Of course there wasn't. The only question was how many paper cranes would he fold.

As it turned out, it was a pretty good number.

The handsome samurai frowned in concentration as he folded, one piece at a time, working with methodical care. His expression was much more serious than such a simple activity would suggest. But, of course, it was for Lady Doji. As he finished each crane, his eyes briefly closed, his lips moving as he murmured a quiet prayer.

He did listen as Satsuki told stories, of course. He even managed to spare enough attention to give her a warm smile from time to time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cranes for Doji! Unskilled, VP for 1k1 | 4k4 ⇒ 32 - 6 cranes! Fuck, I should have voided for skill!
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Ohta doesn't know much about art. But she DOES have delicate, nimble fingers. How hard can it be?

In the end, there end up being sixteen that didn't end up like she hoped... but four very nice ones. For a first time doing origami cranes, she didn't mind too much at all.

--------------------

Day 4, LE, unskilled Artisan:Origami/Awareness roll making origami cranes | 4k4 ⇒ 24
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Togashi Satsuki

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:57 am
The handsome samurai frowned in concentration as he folded, one piece at a time, working with methodical care. His expression was much more serious than such a simple activity would suggest. But, of course, it was for Lady Doji. As he finished each crane, his eyes briefly closed, his lips moving as he murmured a quiet prayer.

He did listen as Satsuki told stories, of course. He even managed to spare enough attention to give her a warm smile from time to time.
"Ugh, you're so much better than me at this!" Satsuki exclaimed as she finished folding her first by the time Hikaru was starting his third.

Like him though, she finished each one with a whispered prayer to her aunt, asking the Fortunes, Sun, and Moon, to grant Doji strength for just a little bit long.

-----------

D4 LM Artisan: Origami/Awareness | 3k3 ⇒ 18 Three! Three paper cranes! Ah ah ah!
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:12 am
"Ugh, you're so much better than me at this!" Satsuki exclaimed as she finished folding her first by the time Hikaru was starting his third.

Like him though, she finished each one with a whispered prayer to her aunt, asking the Fortunes, Sun, and Moon, to grant Doji strength for just a little bit long.
Hikaru flashed her another smile. "Your cranes are very lovely, Satsuki-sama." He assured her. "I have not done this often, but believe me, one does not grow up in Lady Doji's court without folding at least a few paper cranes."
Reiko Ohta wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:08 am
Ohta doesn't know much about art. But she DOES have delicate, nimble fingers. How hard can it be?

In the end, there end up being sixteen that didn't end up like she hoped... but four very nice ones. For a first time doing origami cranes, she didn't mind too much at all.
He cleared his throat, glancing over at Ohta. "Your cranes look very nice as well, Reiko-san." He said.
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

"Hm?"

Ohta looked up and beamed a smile, "Why thank you! I've never done origami cranes before, but it's not too complicated. Though getting them just right is... tricky. One misfold and it's hard to make everything look straight and elegant from then on..."
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Sora... was utterly astonished to manage to produce two Cranes in as many tries.

He silently gave credit to Lady Doji for visiting his dream the other night, and simply handed the cranes over with a shrug.

[Completely unskilled awareness/Origami | 2k2 ⇒ 14 (TN: 5)]
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Togashi Satsuki

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:23 am
snip
Reiko Ohta wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:54 am
snip
"Mom learned from Lady Doji, and she'd teach them to us when we were younger. She made paper animals that we would play around with when we were bored for some reason or other," she chuckled, focusing in on the moment they were all sharing right now, instead of what had happened.

"Right right?" Satsuki was quick to agree with Ohta. "It's such a simple form to make, the easiest origami I've been told, but to make it look really pretty is a challenge!"
Theme | Profile

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Shang's previous evening was not great, to say the least. It seems the grumblings around the camp would indicate that many felt the same terror, albeit they each had their own individual hell. She supposed that there was at least some camaraderie in their shared misery, even if everyone's personal nightmare was up for interpretation.

Much like art.

The Dragon was rather muted when it came to her mood, perhaps still contemplating the night before and the dreary rain didn't exactly do anything to improve it. However, she was more than happy to help in the art project, it provided a good distraction and was for a good cause. Doji-Kami was a well-known appreciator of the arts, an exemplar of the Crane and their customs, now valiantly holding on. Truly, a beautiful warrior's soul Shang could find some great aspirations for her own work and outlook. The least she could do was offer her prayers and aid in her in such a time of need.

It's been a while since she worked with paper in other means other than sketching or painting on it but nevertheless, the craft seemed to be receptive in the artisan's hand!

Day 4 - Late Morning, Artisan: Origami/Agility: Unskilled! | 4k4 ⇒ 22 (TN: 5) +4 Paper Cranes
...It's Awareness it seems. Same number of dice either way.
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

"It seems simple, perhaps deceptively so." Hikaru said, smiling gently. "Children can do it. Perhaps as adults, we are more critical of our own efforts."

He bowed to each participant, honestly touched to have participants. "Saru-san. Jiyo-sama." Hikaru's eyebrows went up at that last, just a little. "Thank you for coming."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Given what Lady Doji does for all of us, it seemed a small thing to attempt..."
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Shang managing to make four paper cranes, despite being out of practice, did provide enough of a small triumph to bring her out of that dour mood of hers. She would stand and give him a bow. "Thank you for having us, Doji-sama. I trust that I'm outside of my element when it comes to folding paper but I'm pleased to contribute art toward Doji-Kami's well-being. Perhaps, the first piece here that I have made with my own hands, actually. May she remain strong for us all."
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru stood to return the artisan's bow. "Thank you for coming, Saru-san. Although in truth, it is Togashi-sama that is hosting, and came up with the idea, not I."

He knelt down again, frowning in concentration as he resumed his careful folding. "I think Lady Doji would be pleased with this form of assistance." He said. "As she appreciates art in all its forms. Although, speaking for myself, I am unfamiliar with this particular legend."

Togashi Satsuki

Satsuki bowed her head and smiled to Sora and Shang as well.

"Really? I would have thought you knew it, Hikaru," she looked at him with a smirk. "I learned about it traveling the southern lands, I think it must of been from former Kuwagaya tribesmen, or maybe it was another one?" For a moment she trailed off, trying to remember which particular tribe it had been.

"... But the story is that cranes will bless you with long life and good fortune, and if you can make one thousand paper cranes in the span of a year, the Heavens will bless you." Which wasn't a difficult task in itself, but it was probably more the challenge of doing something repetitive several times over for days and days, again and again, that would be the challenge. As well as actually having paper.

"So I guess we're not exactly doing one thousand cranes each within the span of one year, but in this case I think it's the thought that counts. That we're thinking of Doji as we're creating these symbols of good fortune, that also represents her and her clan." She smiled as she finished one more. "And symbols have power."
Theme | Profile

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

"Is it? Oh, in that case, I'm not surprised in the slightest," she said as she offered a quick bow in Satsuki's direction. "I got a sense that she was well-versed in all culture and folklore across the Kami Empire. Not only that but she also has a great heart for compassion to utilize that knowledge best!"

"I imagine that repetition has a purpose! It does bear some weight, infusing our efforts, good intentions, and prayers to provide power to this symbol of hope. It's a meagre start but I'm sure once we're finished, it will be truly awe-inspiring and something to behold. I'm getting ahead of myself here but I'm very much looking forward to seeing what our collective efforts will produce as we pour our souls into these little cranes," she nodded enthusiastically on that note.

She offered a glance around, hoping to see more people join them. "It also happens to make a good exercise to keep others out of trouble, especially those with busy hands or are too consumed with solving problems."
Last edited by Saru Shang on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Description

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:25 pm
"Really? I would have thought you knew it, Hikaru," she looked at him with a smirk. "I learned about it traveling the southern lands, I think it must of been from former Kuwagaya tribesmen, or maybe it was another one?" For a moment she trailed off, trying to remember which particular tribe it had been.
Hikaru flashed her a quick warm smile. "Storytelling was always your specialty more than mine, Satsuki." If she was dropping honorifics, so would he... although he did glance at Sora, judging her sort-of-uncle's reaction. "But you're right. Symbols do have power."
Saru Shang wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:07 pm
She offered a glance around, hoping to see more people join them. "It also happens to make a good exercise to keep others out of trouble, especially those with busy hands or are too consumed with solving problems."
"I've always felt there's a sort of meditative quality to art." Hikaru said. In fact, he and Satsuki had once talked about that, long ago. "Besides self-expression, it calms the mind. I often feel at my best when I paint, or play my flute."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yukara stopped by, doing her best to lend moral support, but found herself leaving multiple mangled paper birds in her wake, their clipped wings perhaps more insult than aid.

After she had destroyed the third, she decided she was not, in fact, cut out for this, and made a quiet escape with her shame.

(Forgot fatigue, so total failure https://sakkaku.org/r/11898)
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Tae-soo remembered the Dragon lady from a couple days back, so he recognised her quickly as he and the young'un walked around the market. They'd decided to rely mostly on what they could catch themselves, especially so after the stories about the feast at the headmaster's house, but out of habit they ended up walking around the village now and then.

He hadn't seen the post at the camp - they rarely went there, after all. But he'd heard that 'Lady Doji' was unwell, and that prayers and ritual art might be able to help her.

It did make him wonder. These kami were described to be like gods... and yet something was making one of them falter like that?

It was a troubling thought. And sometimes it did make him wonder. Protecting this Lady, or saving her.. would it be a good thing?

He had no clue. But he'd come to hold at least some trust for visitors here who apparently cared about Lady Doji, and making ritualistic paper birds was hardly much of a sacrifice. So he tried.

It did make him wonder if the Spirits of the wind could make them fly. Or if the spirits of water could make them dance, floating atop a stream. It brought a smile to his lips, a small one, while he and the young'un made a few attempts.

In the end only one looked serviceable. Perhaps uncertainty as stories about how the Crane looked upon those with tribal manners? Perhaps just inability.

That one serviceable Crane was placed along with the others though, and as the two figures in tribal robes walked away, one of them was wondering how other animals might look like, and if the Spirits would like to play with then.

-----
D4 LM - Paper Cranes. Origami/Awa, unskilled. 1 Crane per 5 on the result | 3k3 ⇒ 7
:lol:

Well, that's 1 crane at least!
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:23 pm
"I've always felt there's a sort of meditative quality to art." Hikaru said. In fact, he and Satsuki had once talked about that, long ago. "Besides self-expression, it calms the mind. I often feel at my best when I paint, or play my flute."
"Oh, you're a painter too? And most certainly, I do like to think that art does have a serenity about it, especially when you've found your inspiration or you're chasing an idea or some sort of perfection. That said, art can also be a source of frustration when you find yourself stuck and unable to complete your piece because the ideas aren't coming to you or have anxiety about where you can even start the first stroke, or choose the right colours. Or find yourself second-guessing on your mistakes or flaws..."

She held out a hand to stop herself from rambling further. "Uhm, anyway. But I digress, I suppose my earlier point was more about viewing this as a good exercise at the very least for anyone. Maybe this might even encourage some new artists to take up the art of origami!"

Description

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

It had been an unusual morning. Seeing several people folding cranes was also somewhat odd. She understood and appreciated the intent. It was kind of a weird sight, though.

That didn't stop her from trying to make a few herself.

- - -
One Thousand Paper Cranes [D4, LM], Oragami/Awareness, Untrained | 3k3 ⇒ 11
2 cranes
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San