Yoshitsune Ayako

Re: Purification of the Soul [D6, EA, Event]

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

Ayako didn’t actually understand the exact metaphysics of what was supposed to happen on the Day of Thunder. Like, at all. There was supposed to be thunder (probably?) and there would be a big battle (almost certainly?). But beyond that, she really had no idea. Nevertheless, Ayako knew they needed the villagers’ help, and so she did her very best to write a letter in an effort to try and gain the villagers’ trust.

Looking at her finished missive, it was… not very impressive, Ayako had to admit to herself. Her handwriting was messy and her word choice wasn’t great. But Ayako had helped at the healer’s house, and helped rebuild the farmhouses, and so she hoped that a note from her might still count for something.

Do You Like Me.jpeg
Do You Like Me.jpeg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 531 times

6EA Purification of the Soul, Why’s and How’s, unskilled Intelligence TN20 | 2k2 ⇒ 14 (TN: 20) fails
6EA Purification of the Soul, Pretty Please with 1 called raise, Sincerity/Awareness, void point for skill rank, TN25 | 4k3 ⇒ 21 (TN: 25) fails
6EA Purification of the Soul, With Sugar on Top with 1 called raise, Etiquette/Awareness, void point for +1k1, TN25 | 5k4 ⇒ 38 (TN: 25) succeeds for 2 points

Total: 2 points
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

Good People of Blue Lotus Village,

Shortly after arriving here, I encountered a creature in a dream. It appeared to be a woman made of dark stone, wreathed in green fire that seemed to emerge from within her form. Given the nature of dreams and the things that lurk within them, however, she could appear in many forms, a kind woman, beautiful and elegant, or even someone more familiar. Whatever might please or tempt you.

Sge told me that she and her live wanted to see all of us at are greatest. They offered to help us realize potential we dhave not dreamt of. She said we would find greater dreamsand surpass those with their guidance and assistance. The example she gave was a dreamer blotting out the sun.

She marveled at the horrors humans could dream up.

I told her that we were more than our nightmares, that we could rise above the darkness within us and embrace better, brighter dreams. She wanted to wager on that. That we would choose power and darkness over what was right. I didn't take the bet. I didn't want to toy with the lives of others.

But, I'm betting on you now.

One of you has already chosen to defy the darkness and stand against it, in spite of what it will cost her. She chose you over herself. I ask that you stand with us as well. It is only together that we can avoid being lost.

~Ryoshun Nao

- - -
Purification of the Soul [D6, EA, Event], Casting Fire Kami's Blessing, Fire ML 1, Affinity, 1 Wound | 7k3 ⇒ 31 (TN: 10)
+3k0 to High or Merchsnt Skills using Itelligence for 1 hour

Purification of the Soul [D6, EA, Event], Casting Benten's Touch, Air ML 2, 2 Wound | 6k3 ⇒ 35 (TN: 15)
+1k1+3 to all Social Rolls for 1 hour

Purification of the Soul [D6, EA, Event], Written MM, Lore:Spirit Realms/Intelligence, 2 CR, Fire Kami's Blessing, VP for +1k1 | 10k4 ⇒ 53 (TN: 30)

Purification of the Soul [D6, EA, Event], Written MM, Sincerity/Awareness, 1 CR, Benten's Touch, VP for Skill | 5k4+3 ⇒ 44 (TN: 25)

Purification of the Soul [D6, EA, Event], Written MM, Etiquette/Awareness, 1 CR, Benten's Touch | 5k4+3 ⇒ 61 (TN: 25)

7 points
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

To the good people of Blue Lotus Village,

I am once again asking you to trust me.

You might have heard a lot regarding Yume-Do, you might have read a lot of letters stating something similar as well, and you might even be well versed on Yume-Do yourself. But let me give you a warning, all that you know does not fathom the amount of terror that will befall us if we are to fail tomorrow.

One might think living a dream is good, after some dreams are nice. A favorite pet, running through a meadow, the smile of the one your love. All nice and dandy but WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOUR TEETH ALL FALL OUT? Yes, that is also a dream and closer to what the Harbinger wishes to bring upon you. Fingers turning to snakes. Teeth falling out. Losing hair in clumps. Every small fault you had exponentially increased to the power of a thousand.

Now tell me Blue Lotus Village? Do you want that? Do you wish for some coward being that can't even show itself in front of you to dictate your life? You wish for your inadequacies to be your day to day from now on? Then please, disregard my letter. But if you don't please offer us your support. I have shared your food and your hospitality for the past 6 days. I have fought and bled to defend you and I will continue to do so.

I do not want your teeth to fall out, I don't want your fingers to become snakes. I want your souls to be saved. I want you to continue enjoying your happy life.

Remember, tomorrow, say no to the Harbinger.
A drawing is attached to the letter
---

D6 The Whys and How's | +1k1 Void | 2 CR | TN 30 | 7k5 ⇒ 42 (TN: 30)

D6 Pretty Please| Void for Skill | 0 CR | TN 20 | 4k3 ⇒ 7 (TN: 20)

D6 With Sugar On Top | Void for Skill | 0 CR | TN 20 | 4k3 ⇒ 14 (TN: 20)

3 points
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Chuchu tries very very hard to explain things to the villagers. Her handwriting is... not great. Her grammar and spelling... also not great. (She'd run around the Imperial camp asking random adults to help her, and her note has lots of added notes correcting spelling and grammar if not writing out what she actually meant.) Her little doodle of herself with the villagers is very sweet though. She even got Chouri in there for a hug... you think...
Hewwo hoomans, (scribbled out, written in another hand beside it) Villagers of the Blue Lotus,

Pease (someone obviously helped her here) to be kind and (scribbled out wrong word) good to each other!!! Dreams belong to everyfun. Your children and me and our children and their childrens inherit dreams! You must protect protect them!!! If don't thousand years of suffering sadness pain :( (she drew a sad looking nezumi face here) Nezoomi children die die. Hooman children die die. I die die too. Want (scribbled out wrong word) future for us where happy happy friends friends. (scribbled out wrong words) Please help us save (scribbled out wrong word) future!!!

Luv you lots
(signed in a different hand, written out so name pronounceable) Chuchu :) (smiling Chuchu drawn here)

(Chuchu and the village children holding hands with Chouri drawn here)

[D6LM] Purification of the Soul Event, Bless Name | 7k4 ⇒ 27 (TN: 10) SUCCESS
[D6LM] Purification of the Soul Event, NAMEBOUND: Name Talent, Rokugani Language 4 for 2 hours | 8k5 ⇒ 26 (TN: 20) SUCCESS
[D6LM] Purification of the Soul Event, NAMEBOUND: Name Talent, Etiquette 4 for 2 hours | 8k5 ⇒ 21 (TN: 20) SUCCESS
...misrolled original Lore: Yume-do so ignore the original two rolls (y) I forking rolled too many dice. >_<
[D6LM] Purification of the Soul Event, Event Roll 1: Roll Lore: Spirit Realms (Yume-do)/Intelligence, TN 20. 2 called raises. +1k1 Name point spent. Bless Name failure re-roll active | 8k4 ⇒ 26 (TN: 30) FAILURE, BLESS NAME RE-ROLL ACTIVATE
[D6LM] Purification of the Soul Event, Event Roll 1: Roll Lore: Spirit Realms (Yume-do)/Intelligence, TN 20. 2 called raises. +1k1 Name point spent. Bless Name failure re-roll | 8k4 ⇒ 36 (TN: 30) SUCCESS, +3 points
[D6LM] Purification of the Soul Event, Event Roll 2: Roll Sincerity (Honesty)/Awareness TN 20. 1 called raise. 1 Name point spent for +1k1. | 7k4 ⇒ 30 (TN: 25) SUCCESS, +2 points
[D6LM] Purification of the Soul Event, Event Roll 3: Roll Etiquette/Awareness TN 20. 1 called raise. 1 Name point spent for +1k1. | 8k4 ⇒ 40 (TN: 25) SUCCESS, +2 points

+7 points to total!
BEST ENDING UNLOCKED: TRANSCENDENT NAME: Mother of Ten Thousand Dreams

Name 3: Great Name / Niche ?: Nameseeker? / Small / A babychild. / theme
Tiny thing carries around a ritual dagger.

Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

Reo know exactly why this is important. He puts out an extremely informative treatise that has all the relevant information in exacting detail.

He just forgets that it's for lay people. Hopefully, the smart ones will parse it!

+3 points
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Tae-soo had received word from some of those he'd met during his time here. Word about the letters Chouri had asked them to write, and word asking him to provide some spiritual support for someone else who would be writing the letters.

He hadn't met lady Matsu before - it would be what, the third family leader he'd met here? - but he was equal parts surprised at the request for help and open to providing that spiritual help.

When the time came for him to write the letters, though, he once again asked the spirits for their help, then thought, long and hard. He first put down to paper what he now thought he understood about what exactly was happening here. He finally seemed to have at least some coherent idea of what this was all about. The dreaming spilling into the real world. The womanly face with green flames. The cave, seemingly related to both, the spiritual contamination harming it, and spreading that hurt all along the river like an open wound.

He thought about how to make the importance of that known. But the ritual, and the stories he'd heard... the village headwoman had apparently received the green-flamed woman's essence within her? Willingly, according to some? And now what was expected of them was to try and convince them that it wasn't a good idea to do so as well, and align themselves with the one who had played a main role in corrupting the land, and the river, and...themselves, maybe?

How could one even approach that. He looked at what he'd written about what was going on. Tried to draw a diagram with the charcoal on some parchment. It was appalling, but it might help organise ideas some.

'You wouldn't want your souls to be full of poison'.

As the river was. And they knew it - they had to... right? Otherwise, why the taboo?

'Some of those here have been chosen to fight back against what's poisoning your land'.

And yet, they had tried to poison those who would fight back. Not once, but twice. Once... maybe just as part of their own traditions? But what to say of the second time? Was poison part of their traditions, then?

And he'd heard, here and there, that the village itself wasn't here that long. Were those traditions coming from elsewhere? Or... could those traditions have been established by the green-flamed womanly figure? And if so... the villagers themselves might have been helping spread the poison?

He started a few more times. Thought about how to best approach this.

He figured he just didn't know how. He didn't understand the whole situation. He didn't know what to think. Calling for the help of people who might have worked to spread the corruption further in the past - maybe unknowingly, maybe not? - maybe that could just make things worse?

In the end, he found himself besides a pile of discarded parchment. He takes a long sigh, gives Ha-yeong a tired smile as the young'un enters the tent with a few fish they had just caught. "I just don't know", he said, maybe to Ha-yeong, maybe to himself. The young'un shrugged, placed the fish on the ground. "It's all right, Seonbae. You don't have to. We don't have to".

A nod. Tae-soo takes his knife, makes a dent on his arm, walks outside.

A short while later, a swallow perches on his arm.

"Satsuki, Tai, Nao." He nods to the bird. "I... I just don't know. Is what we're doing really the right thing? Do we know for certain that it is? I want to heal the land, as I know it's what you want to as well. But this... can we trust what we're doing? Can we trust where it came from? Are you three sure it's the right thing? I'll trust your judgment... but I can't trust mine to know how to address the villagers."

The swallow flies off. The pieces of parchment are thrown in the fire.

-----
OOC: Tae-soo ends up deciding not to send a letter.

D6 EA - Casting Request of Kaze-no-kami. Void Slot 3/3. TN 20, sending message to Satsuki, Tai, Nao. | 6k3 ⇒ 24 (TN: 20)
Sending message to Satsuki, Tai and Nao instead.
3 wounds taken
Last edited by Haka Tae-soo on Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Bayushi Norikage

Post by Bayushi Norikage »

Norikage's notes to the villagers were well written, with great care to express the importance of unity among commoner and samurai in these trying times.

But as usual, his etiquette was lacking, as the best he could do to push further was say "Because if you don't we're all fucked, so get with it."

Please? Tn 20: 31
Pretty Please? Tn 25 (called raise) 37
With Sugar on Top TN 25: 19

3 points
Scorpion Clan • Bushi • Scout • Not Sorry • Great Things Happen
Honor: Let's just not. Status: 1 Glory 3.5
Carries: Swords, fan, mask, pipe, jade. Sometimes: armor, bow, hat, cloak.

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Kenji wasn't quite sure what help a bunch of letters would do on this day, if the villagers didn't want to help, they wouldn't after all. Still, it was strongly urged he write one, and while he was hesitant at first write one, he did.
Villager's

You don't know me well; in fact, I think you only know me well enough to dislike me. After all I did not think it wise to eat the food prepared at the feast. Not after listening to the odious huckster, you call a medicine man lie about his involvement in the poisoning of me and others I know on the initial day of thew festival. That his testimony that day differed from your leader's was also quite damning. I do not blame you for your lack of knowledge here, or how you questioned my integrity in not partaking in what I believed rightly so would be more poisoned food.

It is after all, not your fault. Your leader and healer conspired without your knowledge to cause harm to us who came here to fight the greatest enemy of humanity. Worked for years to complete tasks for followers of the darkness and lied and deceived you into believing they were keeping you safe, when in fact they were aiming to damn your souls along with the rest of the world. You had no part in this though, your fear colored your judgment, made you ignore the signs the Samurai here easily saw and, in the end, find hope for salvation in the very thing that would be your doom.

Luckily perhaps for you though, your leader has some shred of humanity left in what is most likely a soul turned black with lies and deceit and has decided to try and make penance of sorts for her debauched ways. Trying what she can to help you avoid the fate she first had in store for you, even knowing at the end of all this her life is most likely forfeit. As for the good of the world there can be but one punishment for those that willing take the hand of evil.

You have some inkling of the truth now, but to act on it or not is your decision, I'll not beg or plead with you.

-Akodo Kenji.
Letter finished he passed it on to be collected and passed to the headswoman, for better or worse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 6 Event. Lore Spirit Realms. Void for skill, nothing special tn 20. | 4k3 ⇒ 28 (TN: 20)
Day 6 event: Roll 2. Sincerity/Honesty. Tn 20+5 Cultist hate. 2 Called raise. Void for 1k1 final tn 35 | 5k4 ⇒ 21 (TN: 35)
day 6 event. Roll 3. Etiquette/Awareness. tn 20+5 for cultist hate. nothign special. | 4k3 ⇒ 27 (TN: 25)

2 points.
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Otaku has to think about this request for a while. It seems to her, frankly, absurd. But she's nothing if not dedicated, so with a pensive frown she eventually puts brush to paper.
To the people and leaders of Blue Lotus village: Otaku, vassal of Lady Shinjo, sends you greetings.

Tomorrow I go, with eight others, to fight the Champion of Jigoku whom you and your rituals have summoned here to your doorstep. If we succeed, we will stop him from bringing an age of horror over all mortal lands. If we fail, life in this realm will become unimaginably terrible, or perhaps end forever. I do not expect to survive, but if my death helps save all of us, then I go to it gladly.

I am told that you may be able to help turn the odds in favor of humanity. Some in our party have suggested that we write you nice little letters, asking you kindly to do this.

It seems to me this suggestion insults all of you, profoundly and cruelly. You don’t need to be wheedled and begged like spoiled children to aid the cause of humanity. You are all human beings with intelligence and the soul of honor within you—honesty, compassion, fairness and righteousness. You already know what is right.

You probably had many reasons for the choices you made in the past: choices to run away from your fears, choices to follow a pretty face who promised you easy answers to your problems, choices to deceive, manipulate, and poison your neighbors and visitors. Perhaps you told yourself that you had no choice but to do these things, or that it was for the best, or that you really didn't know better. Perhaps, when we strangers questioned you, you felt hurt and insulted because you truly believe you are good people, nice people, you just didn’t know better. You had no choice.

Well, here is one of the best lessons I learned of Lady Shinjo: being a good person is not about being nice. It is not about whether you go along with your neighbors, or write very nice letters, or never hurt anyone’s feelings. The only truly good, truly honorable way to live is to question too-easy answers and face ourselves honestly, including our worst flaws—to decide, again and again to turn away from being small and selfish and afraid of taking responsibility.

I am not a good speaker, so I am glad I can write this rather than coming to say it to you in person. But if that were the best way to make you hear it, I would do it anyway, because I know my fears and I face them. You should do the same.

You all have made dreadful choices, foolish and selfish choices, and there is no hiding from this. But it is not too late for you. Act now to restore your honor, so that when this is all over you can return to the world of humans with your heads held high.

I will not dishonor you by asking for this. I know you know what to do.

Otaku
There. She still has other letters to write--to her children, Shinjo, Ide, none of whom she really expects to see again--but those are a more welcome task by comparison.

---

D7 Letters Event--Lore: Spirit Realms, Void for skill, Hero of the People FR to lower TN | 4k3+5 ⇒ 26 (TN: 20)
+1 point

D7 Letters Event--Sincerity (Honesty), Void for 1k1, Hero of the People FR for points | 5k4 ⇒ 21 (TN: 20)
+2 points

D7 Letters Event--Etiquette, Void for skill, Hero of the People FR to lower TN | 4k3+5 ⇒ 15 (TN: 20)
roflfail, +0 points

3 points total
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei »

Another letter is delivered. This one, however, seems to lose track almost immediately, and veers into a discussion of the various realms, some of their purposes, and inter-relatedness. It is an excellent treatise on the spirit realms - mostly.

What it isn't, is a letter that will convince any of the villagers in any way.

Earlier that day:

First, he called on the spirits to sustain his mind and spirit as he did this. After carefully binding the wound, he set up his calligraphy supplies, and thought through what he wanted to write, paying special attention to what he had learned over the years. Sadly, he kept getting sidetracked with information he knew wasn't correct...

Frustrated, he tried to write the the letter, but didn't even realize he was talking down to the people who would be receiving it. Self-assured that he was on the right track, he got so involved in the letter, he wrote it all wrong for it's intended audience.

0 points.
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 3 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle, new case for scrolls.

Canary

Post by Canary »

[This event is closed. Points are currently being tallied.]
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Canary

Post by Canary »

[The total points are 94 by my count! Congratulations! Only 6% of the villagers weren't convinced.]
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."