Kaijarisuigyo

Re: Our Daily Bread: The Porch [D3, EE, RP Thread]

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:55 pm
snip
"Depends how fast your horse? How much time did it take you to come from the city of the Dragon to here?

And you would have loved Monkey. You speak a bit like them when they were trying to persuade Tiger to do something that would eventually end up very bad for them. Stringing words and words and words, until the flow is such torrent what the words said are no more important."
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:49 pm

"Oh~~! Well, I'm of the Crab Clan," Ayako explained. "We're followers of Lord Hida, and for me, Lord Yoshitsune. We're mostly warriors, though there are some merchants and shugenja. The Emperor has tasked us with establishing control of a large part of the northern mountains. We're gradually settling the area, but ... well, there's a lot of mountains. So it's something of a work in progress."

"Well, then! Doctor's orders," Ayako said with an impish grin as she picked up the jug again and refilled Yukara's cup.
"Ah. I imagine your lands border those of my own clan - unless there are even more mountains past the north mountains I know."

Yukara nodded, thoughtfully. "Peace and order is a noble goal. I hope you continue to find success. Do you take part in this yourself, or are you more of a healer?"

As the cup was refilled, she motioned with her hand to stop a little earlier than she normally might. Best to accommodate her unsteady hands - no need to be wasteful.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Yoshitsune Ayako

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:28 pm
"Ah. I imagine your lands border those of my own clan - unless there are even more mountains past the north mountains I know."
Ayako nodded. "Yes, I believe we share a border, along the western edge of the Crab heartland," she agreed.
Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:28 pm
Yukara nodded, thoughtfully. "Peace and order is a noble goal. I hope you continue to find success. Do you take part in this yourself, or are you more of a healer?"

As the cup was refilled, she motioned with her hand to stop a little earlier than she normally might. Best to accommodate her unsteady hands - no need to be wasteful.
"I'm trained as a warrior, but Enrou-san pressed me into service since his apprentice, Shizuku, was injured during the fighting," Ayako said. "I have to admit, what little healing I know is borne from necessity rather than proper training."

Noticing Yukara's motion, she stopped pour the wine and put the stopper back into the jug. "Maybe some food to settle the stomach?" Ayako suggested. "The river fish with rice is especially good. They have some kind of herbal seasoning that I'm not familiar with, but it's quite tasty."
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Oh? I had not tried it - I did not wish to upset my stomach, given then circumstances. It is not too wild?"

Yukara sipped the sake cup, moving slowly to avoid any mistakes, and then added, "I am glad to hear that your clan is near mine - perhaps in time our efforts may jointly bear fruit, and the land may see meaningful peace."

It would give meaning to everything she had done thus far.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:10 pm
"Depends how fast your horse? How much time did it take you to come from the city of the Dragon to here?

And you would have loved Monkey. You speak a bit like them when they were trying to persuade Tiger to do something that would eventually end up very bad for them. Stringing words and words and words, until the flow is such torrent what the words said are no more important."
"I don't quite have a horse of my own at the moment, unfortunately! I've been making do with mostly travelling by foot and following along with any groups going in the same direction. With all of the stops and complications, it probably took me a few weeks to get here? I've been on been abroad for a few months already, so I'm always looking out for my next destination," she said before taking another sip. "If there are going to be destinations after all of this."

"So, I see..." she said before taking another sip, thinking she got the gist of what Kai was talking about. "I'll have you know that my words are very important. Not at the moment, and it wasn't my intention to fast-talk, but I can make them important if I wish and when the occasion calls for it. I would never go so far to give people good advance, that's just bad form. Instead, it's my hope to awe and inspire, like any bonafide performer."
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Quieter than the garden and more airy than the hearth room--that made the veranda exactly the place Otaku would be most comfortable, and indeed, it's the spot she chooses.

The food is plentiful and good enough for the end of winter, but her appetite isn't as big as some people's; she's not a physically large person, after all, and she doesn't particularly enjoy eating just for the sake of eating. So she politely allows a little bit of everything to be piled on her dish and is working through it slowly but methodically for the sake of courtesy.

She sits on the edge of the veranda near Kai and Shang, with her back propped against a support post. Makime was right, this really is more like a modest estate than the simple house she'd originally pictured for the head of a village this size.
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Yoshitsune Ayako

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:04 pm
Yukara sipped the sake cup, moving slowly to avoid any mistakes, and then added, "I am glad to hear that your clan is near mine - perhaps in time our efforts may jointly bear fruit, and the land may see meaningful peace."
"Perhaps we could be friends, Ryoshun-san," Ayako suggested. "I'm not anyone important, but I know my superiors value peace, and it might be a small step towards friendship between our clans."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:04 pm
snip
"Spider. You're more like Spider. Monkey more of a swindler, Spider more of a storyteller. Still steal things from you when you're drunk, but prefer secrets to items. And might leave you some memorable story in exchange if you're not a bad sport about your own loss.

Though, Spider's an expert at pretend drinking, when you appear to be real drinking. Either you're very good at pretending or..."
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:19 pm
"Perhaps we could be friends, Ryoshun-san," Ayako suggested. "I'm not anyone important, but I know my superiors value peace, and it might be a small step towards friendship between our clans."
"I see no reason why not."

Yukara smiled. "I have found more... kind... people among these clans than I am used to. In the hills, it is often a place where people would say they do not have the luxury of kindness. I would argue that attitude is what stops them, more than their actual circumstance."

Taking another sip, she set the cup down, carefully moving the rice bowl back to her lap to resume her tortuously slow eating. "Another new friend told me of the south - so what do people in your home do, for fun, or for art?"

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Nozomi settled herself into a comfortable spot, grunting once and resting an arm up and on her knee while she sat casually, considering that she was a monk. She had a small bowl of barley in one hand and was eating and pecking at it at a measured pace. Even if she wasn't turning down the food, she was very spare in what she ate. Nozomi didn't need lots of heavy portions to be full. Millet went a long way.

She didn't look unapproachable, or not anymore unapproachable than ever anyway. It would be easy enough to run into her if you wanted to do so and she'd bow to any approach.

(PM or quote if you approach so I don't miss it.)
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:30 pm
"Spider. You're more like Spider. Monkey more of a swindler, Spider more of a storyteller. Still steal things from you when you're drunk, but prefer secrets to items. And might leave you some memorable story in exchange if you're not a bad sport about your own loss.

Though, Spider's an expert at pretend drinking, when you appear to be real drinking. Either you're very good at pretending or..."
Shang narrowed her eyes and tilted her head in bemusement at Kai's story regarding her friends. "I suppose this Spider sounds a bit closer to what I do on some occasions but I don't think I won't go so far to steal things when I'm drunk. If there's anything I'm not. is a lousy guest! Oh my, I wouldn't have any venues to make my performance if I was kicked out of every long house or yurt in the Empire if I did something like that! I wouldn't recommend spending more time with this Spider, seems like a dubious person to be around. Actually, you seem to have some very peculiar friends, Kai. You keep interesting company at the very least."

"Also! For your information, I am very much drinking and not pretending," she said before tilting her cup back to finish her drink and presented the cup forward to show her accomplishment, looking a bit smug while doing so. "See? Convinced? Not a drop left here! And now I'm without wine, that's a bother..."
Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:17 pm
Quieter than the garden and more airy than the hearth room--that made the veranda exactly the place Otaku would be most comfortable, and indeed, it's the spot she chooses.

The food is plentiful and good enough for the end of winter, but her appetite isn't as big as some people's; she's not a physically large person, after all, and she doesn't particularly enjoy eating just for the sake of eating. So she politely allows a little bit of everything to be piled on her dish and is working through it slowly but methodically for the sake of courtesy.

She sits on the edge of the veranda near Kai and Shang, with her back propped against a support post. Makime was right, this really is more like a modest estate than the simple house she'd originally pictured for the head of a village this size.
She turned to look around her surroundings to see if there were drinks about and her eyes fell on Otaku, who was sitting near them. With some mustered manners, she dipped low to bow in greeting to the lone Ki-Rin. "Good evening! Care to have some of this rice and fish Kai kindly brought over from inside?"
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:00 am
Shang narrowed her eyes and tilted her head in bemusement at Kai's story regarding her friends. "I suppose this Spider sounds a bit closer to what I do on some occasions but I don't think I won't go so far to steal things when I'm drunk. If there's anything I'm not. is a lousy guest! Oh my, I wouldn't have any venues to make my performance if I was kicked out of every long house or yurt in the Empire if I did something like that! I wouldn't recommend spending more time with this Spider, seems like a dubious person to be around. Actually, you seem to have some very peculiar friends, Kai. You keep interesting company at the very least."

"Also! For your information, I am very much drinking and not pretending," she said before tilting her cup back to finish her drink and presented the cup forward to show her accomplishment, looking a bit smug while doing so. "See? Convinced? Not a drop left here! And now I'm without wine, that's a bother..."
"Whoa. Now I am starting to get concerned you are more akin to the Sun Lioness, whose servants have to keep drunk at all time she is not asleep, for she would destroy the world in anger was she sober.

Though I am not sure she actually exists, as this was from a tale Spider brought from beyond the western limit of the land, in a desert supposedly born from her last hangover.

Spider is very much the kind of friends you know you shouldn't be hanging around with, but you do regardless as they are so charming. And I do miss them a bit now they might be the only other of the older than old spirits who escaped the darkness attack."
Saru Shang wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:00 am
Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:17 pm
snip
She turned to look around her surroundings to see if there were drinks about and her eyes fell on Otaku, who was sitting near them. With some mustered manners, she dipped low to bow in greeting to the lone Ki-Rin. "Good evening! Care to have some of this rice and fish Kai kindly brought over from inside?"
Kai offered the plate:

"Eat all your fill, Lady of the Horse. The fighting takes much energy."

Yoshitsune Ayako

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:36 pm
Taking another sip, she set the cup down, carefully moving the rice bowl back to her lap to resume her tortuously slow eating. "Another new friend told me of the south - so what do people in your home do, for fun, or for art?"
"Ohhh, nothing so fancy as they have in the south," Ayako said. "Though perhaps you heard of the Crab-style play that was earlier today. We also like music; I play the lute, myself."

"What about you? What kind of things do Bats enjoy?"

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:13 am
"Whoa. Now I am starting to get concerned you are more akin to the Sun Lioness, whose servants have to keep drunk at all time she is not asleep, for she would destroy the world in anger was she sober.

Though I am not sure she actually exists, as this was from a tale Spider brought from beyond the western limit of the land, in a desert supposedly born from her last hangover.

Spider is very much the kind of friends you know you shouldn't be hanging around with, but you do regardless as they are so charming. And I do miss them a bit now they might be the only other of the older than old spirits who escaped the darkness attack."
Shang pursed her lip to a near pout as she looked at Kai with narrowed eyes. "It really sounds like to me that this Sun Lioness is really just an aspect of Spider, it seems pretty obvious! You know, when someone says that they've heard a story from a friend of a friend but the story is really about them. I've heard it all the time when someone is trying to seek approval from others. Typical storyteller technique from someone maybe three seasons into their training...wait, what's this about spirits now?"

Description

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:54 pm
"Ohhh, nothing so fancy as they have in the south," Ayako said. "Though perhaps you heard of the Crab-style play that was earlier today. We also like music; I play the lute, myself."

"What about you? What kind of things do Bats enjoy?"
"I do not know how most entertain themselves. I am new to the family, as it were." Yukara had always talked with her hands, and now having only one was making gesticulation difficult, particularly if the hand had a spoon full of rice, so she attempted to control herself. "I do enjoy contemplation and meditation, but listening to music is also enjoyable. I enjoy a good drink and a nap on a warm afternoon as well."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:05 pm
snip
"Oh, I used to be the White Tiger of the West, or Tiger for short. Fled from Yume-dō to the mortal realm to escape the advance of the darkness. You know, standard stuff. I'm sure I'm not even in the top five of strangest living things in this village."

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:40 pm
"Oh, I used to be the White Tiger of the West, or Tiger for short. Fled from Yume-dō to the mortal realm to escape the advance of the darkness. You know, standard stuff. I'm sure I'm not even in the top five of strangest living things in this village."
Shang gave Kai a few big blinks at the given answer then she did her best to adopt a sobering look at the moment after a few cups of wine. "Maybe you should consider seeing this Spider less and not following their example anymore...or at the very least, pass all of your drinks to me. You might have had your fill already."

"So..." She kept hold of her cup and crossed her arms, looking at her expectantly. "What then are the top five strangest living things in the village? I could always use some materials for storytelling or my art. You know if and if we ever get out of here, which we will."

Description

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:17 pm
"So..." She kept hold of her cup and crossed her arms, looking at her expectantly. "What then are the top five strangest living things in the village? I could always use some materials for storytelling or my art. You know if and if we ever get out of here, which we will."
"I haven't actually made a list. Too many people making lists already. I think that's a stress thing? Writing things done calm you down?

Guess I can try though...

There's that rat chaman that some people have seen in their dreams for a start? Not my old friend Rat, who could also be crafty but also knew when to make themselves useful. No, a different rat. I think?

Then, there's Shinsei and the company he keeps of course. Monks have that weird thing where they always are two things at once, what they are and what they were. Like how a fox in human clothes is still a fox but at the same time them having two legs and two hands change how they act and thus how they think.

Speaking of foxes that aren't just foxes, I'm sure we have at least one of them around, from how they marked the land. Not sure who yet though.

Some persons seem also convinced our hosts are unusual but, honestly, so far, I didn't find them any weirder than most humans I had to interact with."

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:55 pm
"Writing things definitely helps when you don't want to put too much strain on your memory, although then you'll have the obligation to remember it all. Nobody exactly likes an unreliable narrator but you don't suppose that there's a mystique to deciphering it all? That's all thought for later, anyway," she shook her head.

Shang did her best to follow along as she gazed upwards. She had to admit that it was hard to string those thoughts along in her mind right now. She addressed the provided list in a muse. "...So, there's a rat, monks, foxes, and our hosts. Rats can be pretty common when it comes to elements in dreams, that would probably also include rat people. Maybe they come from a household with many rats or maybe it's a sign of wealth concerns? Monks are always cryptic too, that might be their actual livelihood. Foxes, are we so sure that they aren't from the wild? I haven't seen one myself in the village or in the wild yet."

Description

Yoshitsune Ayako

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:27 pm
"I do not know how most entertain themselves. I am new to the family, as it were." Yukara had always talked with her hands, and now having only one was making gesticulation difficult, particularly if the hand had a spoon full of rice, so she attempted to control herself. "I do enjoy contemplation and meditation, but listening to music is also enjoyable. I enjoy a good drink and a nap on a warm afternoon as well."
"I hadn't realized you were new to the Ryoshun family," Ayako commented. "If you don't mind my asking, how did you come to join them?"