Wu Dai Lu

Re: It's Me Again (Day 4 EA)

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

Anjing wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:30 am
"Ah, so this is not wholly unusual? The nightmares and the curses and so on. What do they look like on a typical year? It would be useful to know how things have changed?"
Anjing seems quite curious what the baseline was.
"No, it isn't... Though I'm not aware of any curses. Nightmares tend to come with the first few days. They should start to ease back tonight, though," she explained.

"The graveyard generally isn't dangerous as such. The-" she pauses, as though struggling with her words, "-the area tends to be strange around this time of year. People think they hear whispering in the trees. I don't think it's a spirit thing, since it's always something about their inner thoughts or worries."
Heimin | Village Headwoman | Tattooed | Friendly

Played by GM Canary

Makime

Post by Makime »

"And what exactly happens tonight?" Makime narrowed her eyes and stopped her tapping, "Another phase of the ritual? And would it be one you added or a deciphered part of the original?"
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Wu Zhe wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:31 am
Snip
"My oh my, what have you got there? Very fancy indeed, don't think I've seen 'em like that before."
Anjing holds out her tea.
"Sounds like a good trade. Now, you make sure you drink plenty of water as well and stay awake and alert when you need to, okay? Lots of us having trouble with sleep so don't you be one of them just because you're so busy."

The curd/tea trade can commence before Anjing turns back with a raise eyebrow.

"Stuff like magical nightmares, dangerous graveyards, trees whispering in your mind, a river that makes you forget. Typically folks would think of most of those as curses."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

"Since today should normally be a day of contemplation and spending time building bonds, many people find on the night of the fourth day, they have better control over how their dreams go," she explained.

"Makes you- Is someone spreading around that old saw again?" She sighed. "The river doesn't make you forget. We do try to discourage people from drinking from it in general."

Played by GM Canary

Makime

Post by Makime »

"I see." Makime resumed tapping her fingers, "So was tonight the worst of the nightmares in your experience? And are there any common themes in these dreams? Fear of something in the room with you perhaps?"
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

She nodded. "Yes, the third day is usually the roughest. Seeing a monster or something like the effigy you made is fairly common."

Played by GM Canary

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime looked at Anjing then back to Chouri, "And that is just a result of the ritual? Seeing monsters in the form of what you fear the most?"

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Makime wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:28 am
Makime looked at Anjing then back to Chouri, "And that is just a result of the ritual? Seeing monsters in the form of what you fear the most?"
Anjing shrugs slightly. "Another curse I suppose, hallucinations of fear."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime clicked her tongue, "A lot of curses in this town. Even with the issues across the Empire, it does make one wonder why anyone would want to live here."

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

She nodded them. "Banishing them."

"As for why they would come and stay here, it's not a mystery. Ask them. Though you may wish to ask via someone else."

Played by GM Canary

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime raised an eyebrow, "It was not a question meant for an answer, merely an observation made aloud."

"What part did the feast yesterday have to play in the dreams? I assume it was deliberate it happened the day before the worst nightmares."

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

"That seems to be a common event," Chouri observed blandly. "If you challenge your fears, they'll obviously respond, just like any other challenge. The feast fortifies one with both food and community for it."

Sincerity/Awareness, emphasis | 7k4 ⇒ 26

Played by GM Canary

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime's eyes narrowed, "I see." She leaned forward, "But it does more then that doesn't it? This challenge of yours and the feast." Her tone was harder then before and making it clear she did not believe Chouri's simple response was the whole truth.

------------------------
Investigation/Perception vs Chouri Day 4. You better believe I am throwing VP at this. +4 Tawagoto's army | 7k5+4 ⇒ 43 (TN: 26)

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Wu Zhe quirked an eyebrow at Makime's tone.

''Perhaps it is a poor choice of words or tone, Makime-sama, but your words sounds accusatory.''

----
Chourely Chouri ain't lyin, perception, investigate, void for 1k1, fr form wu | 7k4 ⇒ 16 (TN: 26)
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

"Indeed they do," Chouri says, standing. "You've already insulted the village by refusing our hospitality, and now you insult me by implying that I would do something with the feast that would affect my own people. I think it would be best if this conversation ended here until heads have cooled. Please leave my home."

Played by GM Canary

Makime

Post by Makime »

"Is the whole purpose of the ritual not to effect your people?" Makime leaned back, "But there exists some element of that... effect you are hiding."

She looks to Anjing and shrugs. "Your thoughts on the matter Lady Anjing?"

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

The dragon demeanor remained calm as Chouri had enough, despite being in agreement with her. He rose as well, albeit slowly, and leaned in to speak

''Lady Chouri, while Makime-sama as insulted you and the village on several occasion now...may I humbly ask you to keep the conversation open with Anjing-sama of the Crab? I understand you may feel slighted by their delegation as well but consider Yoshitsune Akano and Hiruma Naraku. These samurai of the Crab have given honor to your village with their irreproachable behavior and have grown to be beloved by the villagers. Hiruma-sama even risked his life to save your people from the dread wolves.''
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

Chouri took a slow, deep breath in through her nose and out through her mouth. "All right, Wu-sama. I will hear her out in acknowledgment of her Clanmates efforts on our behalf."

She simply ignores Makime, considering their business done with her request to leave.

Played by GM Canary

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Day 4 It's me again thread.

Opposing Sincerity with investigation/perception, TN 26, spending a void point since why not | 6k4 ⇒ 19 (TN: 26)

Anjing had apparently missed the subtext but noted Makime's tone before looking to Wu and then Chouri.

"Perhaps it is because I am a stranger in these lands, and an old woman besides." She crosses her arms with a frown. "But I had thought in my ignorance that this festival was linked to helping your people and ours overcome these nightmares. I have myself experienced strange dreams after the drugs on the first day, and I many warriors, even my own, saw a strange demon attempting to attack them after they ate at feast."

Her tone still very polite, merely an auntie trying to understand.
"You know much more about this than I and it sounds like there is much history behind it, are you saying that these were merely unfortunate coincidences? Ill-timed nightmares real and imagined that unfortunately linked up with the village's generous hospitality?"
Great Destiny

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

Chouri winced on her right side and rubbed the side of her head. "They're not unrelated in that they're part of the same festival, and the way we do things is in a certain order for a reason, " she replied. "As far as the hospitality parts of the ritual, though, yes."

Sincerity/Awareness, emphasis, Void | 8k5 ⇒ 50

Played by GM Canary