Haka Soju

Preemptive Measures (D1, LM)

Post by Haka Soju »

After finishing her breakfast, Soju decided to follow up on her suggestions to Huan and take some preemptive measures to help protect the village. That, of course, meant going through the headwoman, which brought Soju to her doorstep.

She wasn't entirely certain just what she could accomplish on her own, but half-measures were better than nothing, and she wasn't one to sit on her hands and wait for a priest to get their own shit together.
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Wu Dai Lu

Re: Preemptive Measures (D1, LM)

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

The headwoman was in, working hard on preparations for the festival. She sat on the front veranda, tying together a... straw ball, it looked like? She smiled as she saw Haka. "Oh, hello! I'm Chouri, the village headwoman. Are you here for the festival?"
Heimin | Village Headwoman | Tattooed | Friendly

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Yes, I am one of the performers. Haka Soju. I believe someone among the Scorpion sent you a letter." Soju moved closer, the bones on her dress clattering softly. "I had hoped to discuss some matters of spiritual health with you."
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

She nodded, setting aside her projects and opening a space for Soju to sit by her. "Please, join me. I would like to hear about these matters."

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju takes the offered seat and spends a moment looking out over the village. "Chouri," she finally said, "myself and q few of the others have some concerns regarding spirits that haunt this village. Have you had any issues with these things before?"

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

Chouri taps her chin thoughtfully with a small frown. "Well, I believe this small region may be sacred. I am starting to wonder if it is a place of spiritual testing as well, though. Before the purification of fear during the festival, people have spoken of hearing strange things in certain places around here. Things tied to memories and whatnot."

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju considers her words carefully. "Yes... we believe those voices may be spirits... or something similar enough. Out of concern for your villagers, we were hoping that you might help us quietly protect your villager against such spirits." She smiles warmly. "Nothing intrusive, mind you, merely permission to set up some charms and wards here and there, and your help in having the villagers avoid certain areas of the village for a little while."

(Courtier (manipulation)/Awareness vs Etiquette (Courtesy)/Awareness for Bayushi Courtier 3, total is 37 + a Free Raise for every 3 points of Mental and Social disadvantages she possesses.)

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

Chouri considers the idea, seeming to think it throughly deeply. She bites her lip briefly before finally nodding. "All right. Please don't place anything on the approach to the shrine, around my home, or in the markets of the village, though. We haven't tested what might disrupt the rituals, so it's safer not to have anything set up there."

Awareness/Etiquette (Courtesy)+FR | 8k5+5 ⇒ 41 (TN: 43)

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju inclines her head. "Thank you. I shall inform my associates of your wishes."

Her tone turns more casual. "Speaking of the shrine, I was hoping that you could tell me more about it?"

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

She nodded with a smile. "Certainly. The shrine is dedicated to Inari, the fortune of rice. The final part of the festival involves calling for a blessing on the land from them."

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Oh, that makes sense." Sujo seems to suddenly think of something. "If you don't mind me asking, why does a shrine to Inari need to be off-limits to visitors? I was under the impression that she was rather down-to-earth and welcoming, as far as gods went."

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

"Oh, it's not normally. We have to prepare the shrine for the last couple of days this week," she explained. "I have a miniature shrine to them here at the house if you feel so moved."

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Of course." Sujo smiles warmly. "I have only been a part of this new Empire for a few years, so many of the smaller details surrounding religious customs are new to me. Thank you for the explanation."

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

"I mean, we're not really part of the Empire," she noted. "So our customs and theirs don't fully line up, either."

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"I am surprised that one of the gods hasn't ridden through here and claimed you yet. They seem to have a fondness for that sort of thing." A pause. "The village, that is. Not you, yourself. I don't think they actually do that."

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

"Not... that I am aware of, no," she replied with a shrug. "This is one of the unclaimed regions in their territory in general... Though the Crab are getting closer every day."

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"You should declare you allegiance to some distant Clan that's nowhere near here," she suggests with an amused tone. "Really make the mapmakers back at the capital struggle to figure that one out."

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

Chouri chuckles softly at that. "It would certainly cause some poor person consternation."

Played by GM Canary

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Give it some thought. I'm sure I could make a little Scorpion flag you could hang from your house, if you want to join up." Her tone implied she was mostly teasing. "Plus, if you mention my name when you sign up, I get a cute little trinket to hang from my sword. There's a new design every month."

Wu Dai Lu

Post by Wu Dai Lu »

She laughed at that. "Do I have to get two more villages to join, then?"

Played by GM Canary