Enrou

Re: I require your assistance [Day 1, EM, Open]

Post by Enrou »

"Yup," he said with a nod and looked toward one of the plants, brushing a hand over it, as it remembering something. "I maintain it. Got some unusual ones. Been working on something to try and grow important shit out of season."
Heimin | Healer | Herbalist | Tired | Smoker

Played by GM Bakuriel

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Naraku eyed the garden, identifying the plants he would retrieve for his crafts and experiments. He turned to Enrou when he told about his wish. "What were you thinking?" he inquired curious.

33 vs TN 15 = PASS
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Enrou

Post by Enrou »

"Welp." He looked up at the sky. "The sun doesn't give too much warmth around here. So, a separate shed with planters and a heat source. Probably a better place to make mulch and fertilizers than out here, too."

Played by GM Bakuriel

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"My sister has been working on similar ideas for our crops." Nao said. "Actually, I imagine that's true of the clans each of us represent."
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

Enrou wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:46 pm
"Welp." He looked up at the sky. "The sun doesn't give too much warmth around here. So, a separate shed with planters and a heat source. Probably a better place to make mulch and fertilizers than out here, too."
Ryoshun Nao wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:02 pm
"My sister has been working on similar ideas for our crops." Nao said. "Actually, I imagine that's true of the clans each of us represent."

"You would need quite a heat source, and a way to diffuse the heat. Water and stone are the first two materials I can think of, likely with charcoal burning to heat from below and pitched wood and stone walls and ceiling to keep the air in efficiently" Reo muses out loud, his attention still focused on the plants. "I can sketch out a model if you have charcoal and parchment or paper somewhere."
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

"There's also the topic of plagues. Insects can be just as destructive as the worst winterbite," he rubs his chin "Perhaps I could try my hand at developing a concoction that would keep them away. I would have to investigate it."
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Enrou

Post by Enrou »

He nods to each of them.
Hisomu Reo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:04 pm
"You would need quite a heat source, and a way to diffuse the heat. Water and stone are the first two materials I can think of, likely with charcoal burning to heat from below and pitched wood and stone walls and ceiling to keep the air in efficiently" Reo muses out loud, his attention still focused on the plants. "I can sketch out a model if you have charcoal and parchment or paper somewhere."
He jerked his thumb to the house. "There's some inside."
Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:38 pm
"There's also the topic of plagues. Insects can be just as destructive as the worst winterbite," he rubs his chin "Perhaps I could try my hand at developing a concoction that would keep them away. I would have to investigate it."
"I've been working on something similar, as well. Maybe you have some ideas for refining the formula."

Played by GM Bakuriel

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

"So not all of these are native to this region?" she wondered as they had been talking of imports. "Could be interesting to develop trade of various medicinal plants with others that are interested."

There were already four clans here interested in such things.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Enrou

Post by Enrou »

He scratched his neck lightly, considering. "Yeah, might not be a bad idea. You got stuff I probably don't where you're from. Can't get shit that likes dry air to grow here, so mountain plants are out of reach until I get a couple of growing sheds up."

Played by GM Bakuriel

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

Reo takes a long and deliberate walk through the garden. Posions would be one thing, but he wanted something esoteric if he could.

Enrou's Garden- identifying any strange, unusual or unique plants in the garden -Lore: Nature, TN 25, VP spent for phantom rank | 6k5 ⇒ 58 (TN: 25)

He picks out a few items and goes to store them, taking the moment to try to identify and wrap up items he had known from repuation, or ones he thinks that he can figure out.

When inside, he sits down with the charcoal and makes a rough sketch for the heating problem.

Enrou's Garden- Create a base design similar to the ondol- TN Unknown-Engineering (Soul of Artistry) | 6k5 ⇒ 26

Of course, even if the technical design was sound Reo was a lousy artist.

"See, the brazier pit, with the smoke heating the water. The water can be refilled from the chimney. The water heat capacity means that it will efficiently store heat, and the steam will warm a layer of stone, over which you would lay wood flooring. Basic, easy to do, just fuel intensive. Easy to understand, right?"
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"How is the soil?" Nao asked.
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder

Accompanied By| San

Togashi Satsuki

As she looked around, Satsuki could recognise a few of the obvious staples for an apothecary's kit, such as ginseng, but most of them remained unknown to her. She didn't have hands on knowledge of most of these plants, and some she had only seen in dried forms.

Since there were a lot of questions for now, and ideas, she listened in but did not speak up. Hopefully she could learn more by listening.

-------

D1 EM Untrained Lore: Nature/Intelligence to recognise plants | 4k4 ⇒ 21 (TN: 25)
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

"Tobacco, maybe nightshade would perhaps do the trick. Vaporized they should technically be harmless to you," he pondered. "Though they probably would kill more than just plagues."

"Daisies can also be quite good. Mixing them with a few catalysts it could probably kill anything small that tries to eat the plants. Some seeds and beans can also do the trick and keep your garden from being a bird graveyard."

"I'll think around Enrou, I am sure I can find something good," he looks at the garden. "Your garden seems a treasure trove anyways so it wouldn't be too hard."

Enrou

Post by Enrou »

He smiled a little at the compliment to the garden, looking around at it himself. "It would be a disrespect to my wife's memory not to have it up to her standards."

Played by GM Bakuriel

Togashi Satsuki

"My condolances. Your care for these plants do well in showing your devotion to that memory," Satsuki offered to the healer.

A thought did strike her and she looked between Naraku and Enrou. "What about ladybugs? They're good luck, and protect plants from other insects."
Theme | Profile

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Naraku nodded at Satsuki's comment. "Lots of good bugs, that is why I ain't too keep on option 1 and option 3. Perhaps something that would only activate if entering orally... Daisy with nightshade ashes... no, maybe I could use oleander as a catalyst," Naraku mumbled to himself

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

Reo comes out with the sketch and the herbs he had picked. The sketch goes into Enrou's hand.

"The basic premise is a heating system based around an interior dwelling. You burn plant matter: byproduct of harvest that can't be composted, chaff, wood. A brazier and piping controls the flow of smoke, going over a pool of water in the foundation. Smoke warms the water, makes steam. Steam warms a layer of stone. The remainder of the smoke goes out a chimney. The interior is heated both by the steam and warmed stone. It would take fresh build, but if you talk to workers in town I am sure something could be done."

While Reo says this, he is inspecting the herbs he has picked.

Enrou

Post by Enrou »

Hisomu Reo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:27 am
Reo comes out with the sketch and the herbs he had picked. The sketch goes into Enrou's hand.

"The basic premise is a heating system based around an interior dwelling. You burn plant matter: byproduct of harvest that can't be composted, chaff, wood. A brazier and piping controls the flow of smoke, going over a pool of water in the foundation. Smoke warms the water, makes steam. Steam warms a layer of stone. The remainder of the smoke goes out a chimney. The interior is heated both by the steam and warmed stone. It would take fresh build, but if you talk to workers in town I am sure something could be done."

While Reo says this, he is inspecting the herbs he has picked.
He rubs his chin. "It looks solid enough as a plan. It would be easier to moderate the temperature with this than a brazier."

Played by GM Bakuriel

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

"That's the goal. It won't make sense if you need to constantly feed it through the night to keep it stable." Reo thinks. "But I didn't come out here to bulldoze you with new ideas. I am here to learn Enrou-san. Please, show us how you work. Don't feel bad about putting me to work."

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"Yes." Nao smiled. "I'd like to see more of your work."

Accompanied By| San