Shiba Kumori

Re: The Best Part of Waking Up (D6, MM)

Post by Shiba Kumori »

“Several… depending where you start your walking.” She said with a smile.
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Akutou gives her a brief, arch look.

Then he nods.

"I'd guess y' would, a' that," he says. "Prob'ly want one not far fr'm here. Put a lot o' miles on my sandals gettin' up this way; they're prob'ly gonna give out on me on th' way home. E'en if th' boat trip'll be faster downstream th'n up."
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She smiled, “I’ll make sure you get the best sandals around. A gift for a gift.”
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

"Now, ma'am, you ain't gotta do that f'r me," Akutou says. "I weren't tryin' t' make any kinda trade'r nothin'."
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She smiled and shook her head, “It’s nothing like that… It’s what we do to show our respect for one another. I’m not much of a trader… but I do make sure to return kindness to those who have shown it to me.”

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

"Well," Akutou says, having no idea of the faux pas he is making, "that's diff'rent then. An' if I've shown you a kindness, ma'am, well, it's no less than's deserved. Ain't been ev'rybody as's raised me up."

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She smiled and nodded, “And to be honest… I’d like to see more of that kindness in the world. More people raising their kids to be like you. I know the first time we spoke you weren’t too sure of your reasons for being here… But let me say… that I’d be happy with a 100 more like you here. The world needs more Akutou’s. Don’t forget that.”

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

"I still ain't sure what I'm doin' here, ma'am," Akutou replies. "Looked inta a few things, found a little, but not much. You were there f'r part of it, but that didn't go much further. Shot somethin' in th' woods as might've been a baku, but I don't know that I b'lieve it, an' I still ain't rightly sure what a baku is.

"But them're kind words you're sayin', ma'am," he continues. "An' it's a pleasure t' hear 'em.

"Thing is, an' I said as much t' your cousin, Nanzi Ai, a few days back, there're a lot o' kids bein' 'raised' like I were. Damned lot of 'em on th' streets in places not unlike this'n."

He grins wryly. "I mean, aside fr'm the dream shenanigans an' th' lode o' dreamstone an' millstone people an' all."

The grin falls. "There're a lot of kids growin' up in th' streets an' on th' margins, even them as're acknowledged as bein' parts o' Clans an' such. I weren't th' only one where I'm from; I got lucky, pickin' th' right pocket. Some picked th' wrong pocket entirely. Some never got good 'nough at it t' survive. An' that's th' kind o' thing...I can't think that's how things is s'posed t' be."

He shrugs. "But mebbe it's like th' priests've said, an' earlier us deserved t' suffer. Still sits poorly."

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

“It sits poorly with me too Otomo-san. It should be the responsibility of those of us who have greater power and resources to ensure that the people are uplifted… That is what the kami have tried to do each in their own way… I don’t really subscribe to some of those methods, but whatever way we can help those who grew up as you did and give them opportunities to grow like you have… I think we should pursue.”

She smiled, “As someone who has walked that path yourself… I do not doubt that you would be a great asset to others in the future that could benefit from your experience.”

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

"How c'ld we do that kinda thing?" Akutou asks. "An' I ain't aimin' f'r ornery, either. It's just outside my 'xperience, s' I'm foggy on th' details."

Another wry grin.

"I ain't much accustomed t' city life, as might be 'magined. An' it'd hafta start fr'm cities."

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

“My family has begun a number of initiatives to help people be able to access positions within the government and obtain samurai status… We can’t be everywhere though… That’s why things are delegated out. And I’m sure your own people will have plans of their own. I’ve never been some great… administrator… so I don’t know how these things can get going… But I would assume that a hunter like yourself would be able to track down and help people even if they were hiding away in a big scary city.” She said with a mirthful smile.

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

"I mean, well," Akutou knows a response is called for, but he stammers over it somewhat.

"I get that y' can't be e'rywhere all at once," he continues after a moment. "An' it's a sad truth as there's al'ays gonna be some as slip past 'r slip by, some b'cause they get missed, an' some b'cause they wanna get missed, if'n y' take my meanin'. An' there's always gonna be some as wanna have folks like that that they c'n look down on an' kick 'roun' just 'cause they can.

"But in any 'vent, I c'n find a lotta such folks, but they ain't all gonna wanna see someone looks like me. Might could be somethin' t' discuss after all this's over, if'n we're 'round t' talk 'bout it, but there's gotta be a way t' make it better."

He sighs.

"Has t' be."