Hiruma Naraku

Chain of Command [Day 3, MM]

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Naraku headed towards the Crab encampment. He stopped to observe the surroundings that just yesterday had seen the brunt of the fighting against the forces of Yume-Jigoku; this time they had won, but preparations had to be done to avoid a close call like yesterday.

He soldiered on and sought Anjing's tent, decided to meet up with the Lady of the Crab.
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Anjing

Re: Chain of Command [Day 3, MM]

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:52 am
Naraku headed towards the Crab encampment. He stopped to observe the surroundings that just yesterday had seen the brunt of the fighting against the forces of Yume-Jigoku; this time they had won, but preparations had to be done to avoid a close call like yesterday.

He soldiered on and sought Anjing's tent, decided to meet up with the Lady of the Crab.
Anjing had just returned to her tent and looked to be setting up her pack for the day, carefully filling it with all the odds and ends a warrior would rather have and not need than need and not have. Her brow was slightly furrowed as she considered what had happened at hear earlier meeting, but she raises an eyebrow as the Hiruma approaches, nodding at him politely.

"Ah Naraku, fortunes blessings. I heard you fought well during the incursion yesterday. I trust your wounds have been tended to?"
She looks him over for any signs of wear and tear from the previous battle
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:02 am
snip
Naraku saluted the Crab matron. "Lady Anjing," his voice surprisingly respectful for someone that just a few days ago seemed to enjoy in being an asocial asshole. He blushed when she praised him "Mine was but a small part. The other's were far more deserving of any praise." it seemed like he still hadn't manage to process receiving praise.

At her second question he shrugged mildly. His leg was bandaged but his pace indicated he still was injured. "If by tended to Lady Anjing means wrapping the wound with a bandage then yes, if she means has a medic seen it, then... no," his voice neutral. "There were others far more injured than me. I would not wish to impose with a minor flesh wound."
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:08 am

Snip
"Tssk, you sound just like your father did as a young man. He always made sure everyone else was seen to before he was, no matter his injuries." Chuckling softly. "And the same modesty too. He'd often say something similar after leaping off the back of a troll or ogre, drove Hida nuts."
In a gentle but firm voice. "Make sure you get that seen to, whether by Tai or one of the other shugenja, we need all our warriors ready for battle at a moments notice."

She assesses him for a moment more before nodding.
"You seem different Naraku, more centered. Have your past few days been busy?"
Anjing turns and fishes out her package of sweet dates and offers one to him, reasoning that facing a giant wolf was reason enough for a sweet.
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:20 am
snip
He nodded coyly, seeing no sense in arguing with the woman. "I will see the medical tent later."

"I don't know Lady Anjing," he ponders at her words as he accepts the date, lowering his eyes as he speaks again. "I just think I've been seeing things from a different perspective ever since the attack. I spent my last five years in my duties alone, fighting a one man war against an enemy that had both the strength and the numbers. I guess I have come to realize that mistrusting everyone and donning the role of villain was perhaps... wrong."

"There are many here that have also been fighting against the enemy. There are even some that went down to rescue Hisomu. They did not do those tasks alone, they had others they trusted or learned to trust. I guess it has taken this village to really comprehend that fact. We will lose if we stand alone."

He looks back to Anjing. "That is why I posted that message yesterday before sleep. I wish to conduct a recon into the forest. Identify ambush spots, prepare early alert system." The old Naraku would have just done that and deal with the fall out later.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:42 am

snip
"When life and death are on the line we tend to see things more clearly, for many that comes too late."
She crosses her arms, hearing out his explanation.

"You have taken Shinsei's lesson to heart then, no easy thing. And doubtless you are finding companions to fight by your side. Mistrust is natural, safer even sometimes. But it can poison a heart and is something I still battle with, I cannot claim to be a trusting person."
She shrugs slightly.

"And so you have come to ask my blessing for this expedition? Hmmm. I appreciate that you did. Very well, I will hear you out. Will you go alone or be accompanied? What is your plan if you are detected? Tell me how Naraku, son of Hiruma, would lead this mission."
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:59 am
snip
"I have been trying to take it and it will be a journey but I think that is what Kanna would have wished. Father too, although it would be hard to get any sentence longer than five words," he laughs, although his eyes do show a tinge of sadness when he speaks about Kanna

He nods at her question. "Accompanied. Four or five people at most. I know that Nanzi Ai has expressed interest in coming and she has as much experience as I do in dealing with these beings."

"The weather is cold and the terrain will be stiff, father would have pointed that the cold weather will make tracks easier to spot, although that can be as much a blessing as a curse," he continued. "We will work as a unit, fanning out from a central point but keeping each other at arms length to spot ideal places for both traps and ambushes. Father taught me how to place a few warning traps so I guess if anything they could serve to alert anyone stationed at the edge of the forest."

"If we are detected the decision is easy. We retreat and return to the camp. We are not there to be heroes, but rather to make sure we are not caught with our breeches by our ankles. I would not risk a confrontation is such unfamiliar ground so I think the only sensible decision would be to retreat to a safer spot."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:11 am

Snip
Anjing listens to him calmly, asking the odd clarifying question here and there before he finishes.

"Good, you've thought it through. There's risk certainly, but a few minutes warning could save lives if there is another attack."
She steps forward and places a hand firmly on Naraku's shoulder.

"Go on your mission, do what needs to be done, and then come back safe with your people. I will expect a report of your success by the end of the day."
She squeezes his shoulder and then turns and tosses him a small bag of dates.
"For the rest of your companions if any have a sweet tooth. Remember, they may not be familiar with your ways, be patient. They will have skills we do not, use them."
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:13 pm
Snip
He grabs the bag and weights it. "Anjing, this are sufficient rations for one week. Sweets will spoil our troops." he replied mimicking his father's gravitas and stern judgemental look before breaking into a light chuckle. "Thank you Lady Anjing."

"I will. Specially since my father would say that I have the spatial awareness of a blind rock," he laughed again. "We count with several men and women of great value. Their views will be appreciated. After all, if we are to fight all together who is to say we can not scout together?"

He prepared to leave before he recalled something. "Lady Anjing, before I forget... you also received a gift from the village elder yesterday no?"

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:10 pm

He grabs the bag and weights it. "Anjing, this are sufficient rations for one week. Sweets will spoil our troops." he replied mimicking his father's gravitas and stern judgemental look before breaking into a light chuckle. "Thank you Lady Anjing."

"I will. Specially since my father would say that I have the spatial awareness of a blind rock," he laughed again. "We count with several men and women of great value. Their views will be appreciated. After all, if we are to fight all together who is to say we can not scout together?"

He prepared to leave before he recalled something. "Lady Anjing, before I forget... you also received a gift from the village elder yesterday no?"
"Everyone deserves something sweet after sour work, if the work is good."
She smiles slightly before raising an eyebrow.
"I did, dreamstone. Dangerous stuff. Saw you received the same."

Her tone is firm. "Be careful with it, a slip in concentration can let the enemy in, and through you on to others. Quite how the village has so much of it is a question that has as yet no answer."
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:21 pm
"Everyone deserves something sweet after sour work, if the work is good."
She smiles slightly before raising an eyebrow.
"I did, dreamstone. Dangerous stuff. Saw you received the same."

Her tone is firm. "Be careful with it, a slip in concentration can let the enemy in, and through you on to others. Quite how the village has so much of it is a question that has as yet no answer."
He was surprised by her knowledge "Very knowledgeable Lady Anjing, but yes, you are absolutely correct. Not many in the Empire are aware of the existence of such substance."

"I do not think it is corrupted jade, or rather, a corrupted jade finger," he rubs his chin. "I was analyzing it earlier today, comparing it to another specimen I had. The structure is all wrong and the size is incorrect. If anything it seems something they might have uncovered naturally."

"Which begs the follow-up... how did they find dreamstone in the open."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:38 pm

He was surprised by her knowledge "Very knowledgeable Lady Anjing, but yes, you are absolutely correct. Not many in the Empire are aware of the existence of such substance."

"I do not think it is corrupted jade, or rather, a corrupted jade finger," he rubs his chin. "I was analyzing it earlier today, comparing it to another specimen I had. The structure is all wrong and the size is incorrect. If anything it seems something they might have uncovered naturally."

"Which begs the follow-up... how did they find dreamstone in the open."
"I have fought corruption for many decades. It takes new shapes, but the darkness remains."

Cocking her head, eyes widening slightly. "Interesting, naturally occurring? How could that be? There are a few possibilities which come to mind, none of them good. But of greatest concern is you say they might just have found rich deposits of dreamstone in the area?"

Shuddering at the thought.
"I cannot imagine what that could do to people over a long enough time period."
Anjing gives Naraku a firm look.
"If there is naturally occurring dreamstone here you must find the source. It could be what is causing all this damn fog, or worse."
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:16 pm
snip
"I have a few theories about the village and their peculiar customs," he thinks. "I really do not think there is malicious intent amidst the villagers merely ignorance. And ignorance can be as bad or worse as ill intent, as it is often much harder to prove or stave off."

"There could have been jade deposits around here that due to the influence of Yume-Jigoku grew naturally corrupted. The alternative would have been being inside of Yume-Jigoku but given the fact that we are not surrounded by maddening landscapes I am almost certain that is not the case."

"One of my intentions of heading into the forest was exactly that. Perhaps finding the source might be premature, but at least identifying stronger evidences of the influence of Yume-Jigoku. Maybe something to stave the fact that half our people keep sleeping as much as a new parent."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:25 pm

"I have a few theories about the village and their peculiar customs," he thinks. "I really do not think there is malicious intent amidst the villagers merely ignorance. And ignorance can be as bad or worse as ill intent, as it is often much harder to prove or stave off."

"There could have been jade deposits around here that due to the influence of Yume-Jigoku grew naturally corrupted. The alternative would have been being inside of Yume-Jigoku but given the fact that we are not surrounded by maddening landscapes I am almost certain that is not the case."

"One of my intentions of heading into the forest was exactly that. Perhaps finding the source might be premature, but at least identifying stronger evidences of the influence of Yume-Jigoku. Maybe something to stave the fact that half our people keep sleeping as much as a new parent."
"So you think they might have unwittingly been corrupted by local dreamstone?"
She glances back at the distant village.
"Possible, very possible. The danger will only grow greater if you are approaching one of the sources, make sure you have jade with you. Anything that can give us an edge would be worth it."

Anjing looks impressed. "You've certainly been busy, should your suspicions prove correct you could save many lives."
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:34 pm
snip
"I'm not even sure if they have been corrupted. A dreamstone can corrupt but it really depends on if they're using it or not. And even then those that are corrupted might not even but a speck of rot in their soul, too diminutive for even jade to detect " he explained. "Let's look at the facts. This is a village in the land between clans, where traditions from before the Kami might still persist. Now add the mindfucky powers of dreamstones and you can have a couple of priests just off their tits addled with visions of spirits and getting drunk on that high, passing that message to their parishioners. They might not understand what it is but they certainly might recognize the 'magic' in what they show."

"I will investigate it but let us not celebrate yet. This is a guess and it might be absolutely wrong. As to jade... I have been running dangerously low," he admitted. "I did not come here due to the Little Teacher's summons as I had told you previously. I came here on a gut feeling, after spending three months on the edge of our lands chasing reports of corruption."

Please don't chastise me.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:13 am

"I'm not even sure if they have been corrupted. A dreamstone can corrupt but it really depends on if they're using it or not. And even then those that are corrupted might not even but a speck of rot in their soul, too diminutive for even jade to detect " he explained. "Let's look at the facts. This is a village in the land between clans, where traditions from before the Kami might still persist. Now add the mindfucky powers of dreamstones and you can have a couple of priests just off their tits addled with visions of spirits and getting drunk on that high, passing that message to their parishioners. They might not understand what it is but they certainly might recognize the 'magic' in what they show."

"I will investigate it but let us not celebrate yet. This is a guess and it might be absolutely wrong. As to jade... I have been running dangerously low," he admitted. "I did not come here due to the Little Teacher's summons as I had told you previously. I came here on a gut feeling, after spending three months on the edge of our lands chasing reports of corruption."

Please don't chastise me.
"Language dear."

Otherwise she seemed to agree with his assessment, only adding:
"Sora has, and it pains me to say this, thought ahead and collected some reserve jade. If you ask him respectfully and maybe let him know how much it annoys me, he might be able to lend you some. It's not something you should risk at times like this. And if your guess is wrong, it was a good one. There is no shame in that. Either way, we will have learned something."
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:26 am
Snip
He blushed slightly at her reprimand and nodded. "I'm my defense a lot of these words were learned from your esteemed husband when my sister and I were young," he defended himself with a sly smile. "You know how Uncle Hida enjoys visiting my father and when both Kanna and me were children he'd always bring candy and gifts for us. I was terrified of him since, let's face it, he towers even over giants."

"I remember once, during a feast, where he went on a rant about... well it doesn't matter now and he had a few choice words that he dropped while both Kanna and me were near," he continues. "Imagine the face of my father and the laughter of your Husband when Kanna with all her innocence asked the meaning of one of them."

He laughs, remembering the simpler times in the past.ñ before nodding at her recommendation

"I met Jiyo Sora yesterday or rather he walked towards me shouting while I was drinking tea by the edges of the farms. Charming man for sure but very knowledgeable, had a few thoughts on this village that I used to support my hypothesis. I will certainly ask him."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:49 am
Snip
"My husband's heart is as broad as wide and his chest and his mouth. He uses all of them to protect his family, and perhaps they all cause other troubles from time to time. And both he and I can use rather harsh language when our fire is roaring. But still, there are certain proprieties one must observe in leadership. Save your curses for when they will be most devastating so they can take a foe unexpectedly."

She sighs.
"I never could get Matsu to adopt the same approach, it is hard when even as a child she is larger than you."

Nodding in agreement with a small smile at the description of Sora.
"Walking and shouting is certainly something he is very capable of. But if he thinks you're on the right path there are few more loyal. I just wish he weren''t so stubborn", she added without a hint of self reflection.

"Now, off with ye. Get your provisions and your people and set about this mission. I will pray for your success.
Great Destiny

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

"Understood Lady Anjing," he saluted her. "I will report without fail when I return from the forest."

"Were I not to return, I will make sure to delegate it on one of the others and make sure my body is of no use to the enemy."

/scene?

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:03 am
"Understood Lady Anjing," he saluted her. "I will report without fail when I return from the forest."

"Were I not to return, I will make sure to delegate it on one of the others and make sure my body is of no use to the enemy."

/scene?
"Let us hope it does not come to that Naraku, but if it does, you will be remembered in the stories."
She nods back respectfully before ushering him off to his mission.

((/scene, thank you for the RP :-) ))
Great Destiny