Doji Hikaru

Re: Almost There [D0, Afternoon]

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru turned to look back out into the fog. His white lock, still free, caught a gust, briefly whipping back in the direction of the others, before tumbling down over one shoulder.

"Fog has always seemed to be the stuff of dreams to me." Hikaru said softly. "Something that can be seen, but not touched. Illusory." He swept his left hand through the air. "Or, only somewhat touched."

His left hand settled, resting on the hilt of his katana.
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Makime

Post by Makime »

"Fog poses a larger threat than dreams. A dream doesn't hide a washed out path or rob one of the sense of direction." Makime crossed her arms, "... or that was how it had been before the nightmares came. Now..." She fell silent.

When her voice returned there was the barest hint of warmth and concern, "Tell me, how are your dreams." Her question seems cast to all those accompanying her.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Noting Hikaru resting his hand on the hilt of his sword, she bumped his thigh gently with her arm. They probably didn't have to be on that high alert, in her opinion. And it was always fun to poke a bit at the very proper Crane.

"My dreams..." Satsuki pressed her lips together. No one had much nice to say about their dreams these days, not even her. "Safe to say I miss a good night's sleep."

And she didn't even have kids or anything to interrupt what little sleep she could have.

"Troubling and all. I hate to think what it will be like if we can't stop it."
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Makime

Post by Makime »

"There's no need to ponder that. It will be stopped." From anyone else that might have been a gentle reassurance to quiet another's fears, Makime spoke them as if it really was a given. That to even consider failure in the matter was impossible.

"The more troubling questions are when, how, and what damage before it's stopped."
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:13 pm
Noting Hikaru resting his hand on the hilt of his sword, she bumped his thigh gently with her arm. They probably didn't have to be on that high alert, in her opinion. And it was always fun to poke a bit at the very proper Crane.
The wide-eyed look Hikaru gave Satsuki, for the briefest of moments, suggested that he wished there were some sort of etiquette authority that he might report her to. It was followed, though, by the equally briefest of smiles, and he turned back to face the group, his hands at his sides were more relaxed.
Makime wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:09 pm
When her voice returned there was the barest hint of warmth and concern, "Tell me, how are your dreams." Her question seems cast to all those accompanying her.
"Strange." Hikaru said in his soft, deep voice. After a moment, he swallowed, but he did not go on.

Instead, he nodded. "Yes. We will. We must." His jaw tightened as he thought about what damage they might experience before it was stopped. Lady Doji...
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime's eyes locked onto the Doji's discomfort. She nodded slowly then spoke.

"Many have succumbed to their nightmares. Very few days go by when I was not receiving word of another incident. And I know I was only hearing some of the worse or strangest."

Her lip curls up slight, the hint of a small perhaps. "Take heart in your continued sanity. In this war so far only endurance can be claimed as victory. And you have all endured at least this long. And everyday you continue to is a small victory."

Her solemn expression returned, "Endure and prepare for when we can strike back."

Hantei Genji

Post by Hantei Genji »

"It's not any better in the south." Genji let out a slow sigh. He was silent through the conversations, his thoughts drifting back to his family at home. I hope Kogi-chan is alright with the kids. Glancing back towards his travel companions, he smiled gently. "Shinsei didn't put too many words into it, but I did gather this will be a matter of importance. I just hope we won't have any sudden demon birds again. So annoying."

He rested his hand gently on his sword, but slowly pulled it away. "As for dreams...not many nowadays. Or not many that I recall." He stifled a yawn, trying to downplay his general lack of sleep. "I guess I'll be skipping first watch tonight, for a change." His smile widened and brigthened a bit.
Stag Prodigy * Potential Thunderstag * Golden Boy * Happily married
Honor: Honorable * Status: 4.0 * Glory: 2.0

Makime

Post by Makime »

"I would not define a manifestation of evil appearing before the Emperor himself as 'annoying'" Makime shifted her attention to the Stag. "A dagger at your throat and ignorant that one even wishes you harm is a precarious situation. Had the creatures been more cautious and less... dramatic then perhaps we would be mourning the death of the Emperor himself. And both escaped no less. A failure of the highest order."

Togashi Satsuki

Satsuki crossed her arms, pondering for a moment to shut up about the topic or let her contrarian nature just speak its mind...

... It remained quiet, for now. There was a lot that had happened that day, which back then had shocked and frightened her, but later on had filled her mind with much suspicion towards various people. No need to bring it up right now. It wasn't relevant.

"Nothing we can do to change the past, anyway," she remarked, maybe a touch dryly. "But we learn from it." Like not keeping secrets about demons, idiots. "... At the very least, we should be able to reach the village today, Genji, so you might not need to take watch." Then she looked between the others, before settling on Makime. "Or maybe not? We don't know who can be trusted among those who have followed Shinsei there."
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

"Yes. Learn from it." Hikaru said, even softer than his last words. "Ensure that nothing like that ever happens again." His expression turned thoughtful once more. How much was in his power to correct, and how much could his learning be used?

He returned Satsuki's glance when she looked at him, but then likewise followed her gaze to Makime. "With learning from past mistakes in mind, perhaps it is best to be cautious, even when we have some expectation of safety?" It was more of a suggestion than a question.

Hantei Genji

Post by Hantei Genji »

"First watch it is then. Anyone else care for a pot of tea later?" He adjusted his pack as he asked, still forcing a smile. "Eh, true Makime-san." He replied easily, withholding his response to Makime's comments. Poor Ayano.

"Guess we'll also have to up our sparring than Hikaru-san??" He turned his head towards the Dragoness as well. "You can join in as well Satsuki-chan. Not like we can expect an ordered duel from our enemy, with people standing in line." He slowed for a second. "Do you want to look over the village sometime Makime-sama, to see how best to fortify?"
Stag Prodigy * Potential Thunderstag * Golden Boy * Happily married
Honor: Honorable * Status: 4.0 * Glory: 2.0

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

A black pig emerged from the fog, snuffling as it meander towards them. A small figure followed, carrying a spear.

"No eating the farmers' vegetables San. If you do, I'll have to let them eat you."
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime studied the gathered group for a second. "Look to the past to learn from your mistakes, but don't let them rule you. Yes a sensible view."

She shook her head at the mention of fortifications. "As likely to trap ourselves in as something out. With the madness taking hold even those we trust may turn against is. Truly insidious and horrifying."

Her chin lifts slightly looking away from them. "Well seems we are ambushed after all." Makime casually points to the pig and it's accompanying Bat.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"Konnichiwa!" Nao waved cheerfully upon spotting the group.
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder

Accompanied By| San

Hantei Akito

Post by Hantei Akito »

Hantei Genji wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:00 pm
"Guess we'll also have to up our sparring than Hikaru-san??" He turned his head towards the Dragoness as well. "You can join in as well Satsuki-chan."
"May I watch you spar?"
Ryoshun Nao wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:45 pm
"Konnichiwa!" Nao waved cheerfully upon spotting the group.
He waves back. "Good afternoon!"
Stag Clan * Bushi * Tall * Friendly

Togashi Satsuki

Hantei Akito wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:05 pm
Hantei Genji wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:00 pm
"Guess we'll also have to up our sparring than Hikaru-san??" He turned his head towards the Dragoness as well. "You can join in as well Satsuki-chan."
"May I watch you spar?"
"Ugh, sparring. Is that all you guys think about?" Satsuki rolled her eyes dramatically over the guys obsessing over swords, chuckling with good humor as she was obviously making fun of them. "Sure, I'll join in. Maybe even spar, eh?"

Then something was coming at them from out of the fields! A fierce... b--pig? At first Satsuki had been alert, ready to spring into action, then confused. Seeing the girl waving to them, she blinked in surprise. "... N-nao-chan? Is that you?"

She got up on her feet, almost in disbelief in seeing one of her younger cousins here on their own.
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru's expression had actually brightened a bit at the conversation from Genji and Satsuki. He'd given a quick, friendly sort of bow, his lips parting to respond to the teasing.

Everything changed when the pig attacked.

Well, not attacked exactly. Nevertheless, Hikaru turned, frowning sharply, his weight shifting... until he realized it was an ordinary pig. And he was fairly certain he recognized the girl following it; he'd spent some time in Bat lands, after all. "Ryoshun-sama." He said, bowing; even if she was a child, she was the daughter of a kami. "This is a surprise."

Hantei Akito

Post by Hantei Akito »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:28 pm
"Ugh, sparring. Is that all you guys think about?" Satsuki rolled her eyes dramatically over the guys obsessing over swords, chuckling with good humor as she was obviously making fun of them. "Sure, I'll join in. Maybe even spar, eh?"
"My mother once told me that it's important to learn early on that men only think about their bokken," he commented. "I guess that must be what she meant."
Stag Clan * Bushi * Tall * Friendly

Makime

Post by Makime »

"Well it seems most of us are already acquainted." Makime's expression shifted back to unreadable. "Or at the very least I can assume you are the heir of the Bat Champion?" She inclined her head slightly, an acknowledgement. "You may not be aware of who I am, however. Makime, servant of Lord Akodo and at present the daimyo of the Makime family."

Her eyes immediately shifted back to the fog around waving Ryoshun, curious if the girl had brought minders or guards.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"Satsuki-chan?" The girl smiled brightly, then laughed with s snort a moment later. "Heir? No. Not unless something horrible happens to my brother. My sister better have a child before anything like that happens. She better make arrangements with that Spider boy soon.""

Realizing she had babled on a but too long, she offered everyone a quick bow. "I am Ryoshun Nao, youngest of Ryoshun's children and sister to the Bat Champion."

Accompanied By| San