Canary

Re: Elementary, Dear Moon-Moon [D1, EA]

Post by Canary »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:58 pm
"My questions and answers first," she laughed.

"First; why do you and your brothers and sisters the water kami linger here as a constant fog?"
That's not a good riddle, one complained, apparently already losing track that she was getting her answers first. Air kami. What could you do?

I know, I know! I know this one! We're sleepy, so we cuddle up and get thick.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Canary wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:34 pm
I know, I know! I know this one! We're sleepy, so we cuddle up and get thick.
"You will get the riddle soon, almost there," she made sure to keep her tone light and playful with the kami, knowing the air ones usually liked that. "That sounds nice, to cuddle up."

"Why do people lose their sense of direction in the mist, ending up back where they started instead of going out?"
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:43 pm
"You will get the riddle soon, almost there," she made sure to keep her tone light and playful with the kami, knowing the air ones usually liked that. "That sounds nice, to cuddle up."

"Why do people lose their sense of direction in the mist, ending up back where they started instead of going out?"
It's funny!

People wander around in circles in there.

Maybe they're sleepy, too!

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Togashi Satsuki

Canary wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:46 pm
It's funny!

People wander around in circles in there.

Maybe they're sleepy, too!
The answers weren't as helpful as she had hoped, but it would do, and the kami had done what she asked of them. "Thank you friends, then this riddle is for you; What can you hold in your right hand, but not in your left?"
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:55 pm
The answers weren't as helpful as she had hoped, but it would do, and the kami had done what she asked of them. "Thank you friends, then this riddle is for you; What can you hold in your right hand, but not in your left?"
The spirits swirled around for a bit, whipping up her hair and playing with it.

Finally, one of them said, Is it your left hand?!

Togashi Satsuki

Canary wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:01 pm
The spirits swirled around for a bit, whipping up her hair and playing with it.

Finally, one of them said, Is it your left hand?!
"Yes! Very good!" Satsuki clapped in delight for them.
Theme | Profile

Canary

Post by Canary »

The air kami cheer and proceed to thoroughly blow around her clothing and tangle her hair in delight before dispersing.

Togashi Satsuki

Satsuki laughed softly, trying to fix her hair and loose-fitting clothes as the kami departed.

"Well..." she cleared her throat to be more serious again, "so... the answers didn't really amount to much. I asked them why this fog was here, and they said they were, uh, snuggling up with the water kami because they were sleepy, and wanted to get thick."

Kami, am I right? she smiled with a 'what can you do'-attitude. "Second I asked them why people were losing their sense of direction in the fog, ending up back where they started, and the answer was; it's funny, people wander around in circles in there, maybe they're sleepy too."

She looked to Ohta and Otaku in case they had any input, but a few thoughts of her own were forming in her mind.
Theme | Profile

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

"...I mean, what makes the elements sleepy I suppose? Or what COULD make the elements sleepy? Or is that something more common than I'm supposing?"

Ohta knew a little about magic, the elements, and all that. But not enough for that kind of knowledge. The daily habits of the Elements weren't usually considerations a samurai needed to worry about.
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Togashi Satsuki

"The kami can sometimes act or seem sleepy, or sluggish even, if they've been dormant for a long time. Without anyone calling on them or appeasing them on the regular. You don't need a shugenja or a monk to do that though, as people have done this for generations with offerings to them."

Satsuki was chewing her lip in thought now that she had some more pieces of a puzzle. "... But if our enemy is disrupting the Realm of dreams and sleep, they could perhaps too be affected somehow. Or someone is doing this to them to keep them ignorant of what is actually going on."
Theme | Profile

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Otaku seems to be following this explanation somewhat better than the average non-shugenja, though at first she just listens and lets her own thoughts turn the problem over while the other two discuss Satsuki's findings.

"So could it be that..." her brows draw together as she considers a different possibility, "What if this fog is not what's making us lose our way? If it's only the kami losing their way along with us?"

She strokes the gray horse's neck as she thinks. "In places where the enemy touches too many people, for too long, we've seen land corrupted."
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

"It certainly brings up a lot of good questions. With fewer answers. But some at least, neh? Though I doubt it's the land, here at least. Otherwise I don't think the well water or crops would be unaffected."

Ohta unslings her bag from her shoulder and starts putting things in it, her sketchpad and writing utensils mostly.

"I wish I had my mother's talent for that sort of thing though, Togashi-san; She is quite good at teasing answers from the Earth, so I've seen in the past."
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Togashi Satsuki

Otaku wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:38 am
"So could it be that..." her brows draw together as she considers a different possibility, "What if this fog is not what's making us lose our way? If it's only the kami losing their way along with us?"

She strokes the gray horse's neck as she thinks. "In places where the enemy touches too many people, for too long, we've seen land corrupted."
"That is a possibility. Well observed," she nodded to the woman with the beautiful horse.

"As for the Earth kami, I have a feeling that the answers will be similar... with this fog, I thought the air kami would be very active, but they felt sluggish and difficult to rouse. It makes me wonder if there is something keeping them like this?"
Theme | Profile

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

"Do you think it's dangerous to stay?"

Not that they had much of a choice, since Shinsei believed the great defense must be mounted here, and no one could get out through the fog in any case. The thought of staging that confrontation--whatever form it might take--in the middle of a village's worth of children, old people, and ordinary farmers makes Otaku's lips press together unhappily.

"Are the land and water safe? The folk here think so. But they may be affected too."
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)

Togashi Satsuki

"It is a possibility," she admitted with some grimness to her. "I need more answers before I can say for certain." Satsuki had a similar concern for the locals living here who didn't ask for an apocalypse on their doorstep.

Raising her arm, she studied her jade bracelet thoroughly. "I don't think the land here is corrupted, but it's hard to say... Yume-Do hides more easily the sinister nature of Jigoku. For all I know, maybe the kami are dreaming, or we are dreaming? Or maybe we sort of... sleepwalk, when we venture to deep into the fog?"
Theme | Profile

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

"If..." Otaku hesitates, frowning. "If this whole place is a dream that has already trapped us, could we discover it?"

Or would it already be too late for them all?

She too reaches up to brush her fingers against a piece of jade--the piece stitched to the brow band of Tsubame's headstall--before scritching around the horse's ears. She has a piece tucked inside the collar of her own clothing, too, and had noticed nothing amiss with it this morning. But would there be anything to notice?

Togashi Satsuki

"I don't know... hmmm..."

With that in mind, Satsuki raised her hand and gave herself a thoroughly harsh slap. "Ow... if it's a dream though, it's very life-like. Because that hurt." Chewing her lower lip, she nursed her slapped face with a surprisingly contemplative expression.

The mystery was certainly occupying her mind more than the stinging cheek.
Theme | Profile

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

"No, I don't think it's a dream. I've heard of lucid dreaming before, but not lucidly being in another's dream. Or, at least, if it's a dream, it's not the sort that one can tell from reality, so it makes no difference. As far as if it's dangerous to stay... that's why we must keep looking, no? And keep being vigilant."

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

"Dreams aren't ordinary these days." Otaku says softly, shrugging one shoulder. "No one heard of dreams that could make a man change shape or a woman kill her children, until they did."

She sighs and, belatedly, remembers she hasn't introduced herself to these youngsters. "In case you're not dreams," the corners of her eyes crease a little with a smile that doesn't quite reach her lips, "I'm Otaku, by the way."

Togashi Satsuki

"Otaku?" A few blinks, then she bobbed a quick bow. "A pleasure, Lady Otaku. I'm Togashi Satsuki of the Dragon. And yeah! There's something to what you're saying in that dreams aren't just dreams these days... it's changed places and people in the past years, and we can't rule out that it's happened here."
Theme | Profile