Jiyo Sora

Cold War [Day 3, Late Evening, Expecting]

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Sora made his way out to the Crab encampment with the air of a man resolved upon a most distasteful chore.

They'd spoken earlier, of course, as briefly as possible during the planning meeting, but the way that meeting had left him feeling...

Shinsei had urged that everyone form stronger bonds, forsake old grudges. He'd said as much at Goju's meeting, and so had Anjing.

But words were one thing.

Reality was another, even if, as Reiko said, "Words Have Power."

He wore his armor, covered in various nicknames and the like, although his helmet was back in his tent.

He surveyed the Crab camp, shook his head at how they set themselves apart even when they had no call to, and then went looking for one of the few people of his own generation who had shown up to this business.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Anjing

Re: Cold War [Day 3, Late Evening, Expecting]

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:51 am
Snip
Anjing was standing straightbacked as she sharpened an old knife. Her eyes periodically scan the camp's perimeter, the more folks keeping watching the better.

As Sora approached she turned and watched him with a curious look before sliding the knife back into its sheath.

"Sora" her tone was neutral, but she did nod very slightly at this approach.
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:00 am
"Sora" her tone was neutral, but she did nod very slightly at this approach.
"Anjing."

He nodded back.

How the hell did you even start a conversation like this?

"I never got to ask earlier... how's Xia doing these days? I haven't seen her since I recommended her for the post at the Library."
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:16 am

"Anjing."

He nodded back.

How the hell did you even start a conversation like this?

"I never got to ask earlier... how's Xia doing these days? I haven't seen her since I recommended her for the post at the Library."
Blink, a surprised pause "Xia? She's...she's good. Some of what she saw and experience down there... it was hard for her. Always a little too sharp that one, noticed a lot, maybe too much. But she actually ended up founding a school of her own."

With a little pride in her voice. "All about keeping our history alive, but practical too. It's good work. She keeps saying she'll head for the Capital at some point, maybe when all this chaos is over I'll give her a nudge out the door."

Another pause. "And I hear you've been keeping busy? The work never seems to end, does it?"
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:23 am
Blink, a surprised pause "Xia? She's...she's good. Some of what she saw and experience down there... it was hard for her. Always a little too sharp that one, noticed a lot, maybe too much. But she actually ended up founding a school of her own."

With a little pride in her voice. "All about keeping our history alive, but practical too. It's good work. She keeps saying she'll head for the Capital at some point, maybe when all this chaos is over I'll give her a nudge out the door."

Another pause. "And I hear you've been keeping busy? The work never seems to end, does it?"
He actually chuckled.

"Well, next time you see Xia, tell her we've always got the space for her, and that her contributions have been copied and sent to every other branch on the Empire. She's got... style in her writing."

He tapped one of the names on his armor. "Reading Crab."

"And tell her Sora says hello."

At her question he nodded.

"Always something. Setting up new ideas, new structures, leading people, being responsible for them. The price we pay for being... important."

A pause.

"And everyone thinks we know what the hell we're talking about, and sometimes they're right, sure, but..."

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:28 am

"Well, next time you see Xia, tell her we've always got the space for her, and that her contributions have been copied and sent to every other branch on the Empire. She's got... style in her writing."

He tapped one of the names on his armor. "Reading Crab."

"And tell her Sora says hello."
"Reading Crab?" Anjing snorts quietly, clearly amused. "Oh she'll like that, yes, I'll pass on your message."
Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:28 am

"And everyone thinks we know what the hell we're talking about, and sometimes they're right, sure, but..."
"Sometimes we're just faking it because someone has to be in charge and people start to panic pretty quick if things don't look under control. Especially at times like these." Anjing takes a breath. "Still don't have all the answers myself."

She gives Sora a long look before adding. "But you're welcome in my camp. We have food and drink if you need it. Otherwise my company will have to do, most of the others are out doing their part."
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:46 am
She gives Sora a long look before adding. "But you're welcome in my camp. We have food and drink if you need it. Otherwise my company will have to do, most of the others are out doing their part."
"You know you and yours are welcome at the other one, too."

He looked around.

"Don't need to be out here by yourselves unless you want to be. We've got Lady Matsu herself and a daughter of Doji over there and nobody's thrown any punches yet."

He raised his eyes heavenward.

"Which is as close to a miracle as I've seen in the last twenty years. Shinsei says we need to pull together, forsake paranoia, old grudges and all of that. I'd like to think you and I, at least, could pay the idea more than just lip service."

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:50 am

Snip
"Matsu has been very diplomatic indeed given how little opportunity she'd had to punch things. Her restraint is commendable."
Anjing looks over at the imperial camp for a moment.
"Spent some time there myself, and I have family living in it. Won't have any objection to defending it, but I like a bit more peace and quiet personally."

And back to Shinsei.
"Sora, we've got our disagreements, years of them and no mistake. But Shinsei, did say we had to try and move on." She takes a deep breath, holds it, then releases. "And fortunes knows, I am trying. Had a Nezumi visit me in my dreams last night. Didn't even try to kill it once, I even complimented the child on her bravery."

Then she adds with a smirk and a 'beat that expression' "So, if that horny little monk could see me now he'd probably praise me as enlightened or whatever it is when you're so far past caring it makes people like you."
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:30 am
"Sora, we've got our disagreements, years of them and no mistake. But Shinsei, did say we had to try and move on." She takes a deep breath, holds it, then releases. "And fortunes knows, I am trying. Had a Nezumi visit me in my dreams last night. Didn't even try to kill it once, I even complimented the child on her bravery."
"Oh, little Chuchu? She paid my dreams a visit as well. Got to meet... well. Dreams of my family, anyway."

He shrugged.

"I've never been one to blame children for things you could lay at their parents' doors. Hell, I'm on good terms with two of Nanzi's kids, and you know how he and I got along..."

Whatever their arguments, Sora had never felt like he and Anjing would have to kill one another the way he had with Nanzi.

"Glad to hear it sounds like you agree."
Then she adds with a smirk and a 'beat that expression' "So, if that horny little monk could see me now he'd probably praise me as enlightened or whatever it is when you're so far past caring it makes people like you."
That got a snort.

"Oh, he cares. He just tries to go around unburdened. And then promptly takes on burdens nobody sane would. He's a bit like the Boss that way. 'Oh, don't worry, I'll be fine, you just do your best.' When you know the bastard hasn't eaten properly or slept in a week..."

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:38 am

That got a snort.

"Oh, he cares. He just tries to go around unburdened. And then promptly takes on burdens nobody sane would. He's a bit like the Boss that way. 'Oh, don't worry, I'll be fine, you just do your best.' When you know the bastard hasn't eaten properly or slept in a week..."
"That's just being old. Nobody ever appreciates being able to eat all day and sleep all night until they can't because their back aches or milk makes their stomach catch fire."
And sitting on a stone was probably doing nothing for his lumbar.

"It's all very spiritual. So I am trying even if I don't understand it all and some of it seems stupid. I suppose if it was obvious and everyone did it, it wouldn't be great wisdom anyway..."
Anjing drifts off for a few moments before remarking.

"Which reminds me, suggesting Makime be in charge of the defences. That was a good idea. It's something important and it means she can be concentrating on what she's good at while we're all building dolls and loving one another. So...yeah, good suggestion."
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:47 am
"Which reminds me, suggesting Makime be in charge of the defences. That was a good idea. It's something important and it means she can be concentrating on what she's good at while we're all building dolls and loving one another. So...yeah, good suggestion."
"I mean, you or Otaku could probably have also headed up a defensive effort and most samurai here would have gone along, but...let's face facts, when it comes to planning and organization, Makime has few equals."

A chuckle.

"And yes, it does keep her busy, since I don't see her going in for festivals at the best of times."

He shrugged.

"She might not be the best for morale, or coordination with the village, but that's why I tapped Wu-san for his job. He's sleeping there anyway, might as well make sure we have someone the locals trust to talk to. Which reminds me, he brought up a good point earlier... we all just sort of showed up, and how many of us thought to formally introduce ourselves to the local headwoman? I sure as hell didn't. Didn't even talk to her until yesterday afternoon. So. Figured he's the guy for the job. Even brought them a couple of cattle."

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:58 am

"She might not be the best for morale, or coordination with the village, but that's why I tapped Wu-san for his job. He's sleeping there anyway, might as well make sure we have someone the locals trust to talk to. Which reminds me, he brought up a good point earlier... we all just sort of showed up, and how many of us thought to formally introduce ourselves to the local headwoman? I sure as hell didn't. Didn't even talk to her until yesterday afternoon. So. Figured he's the guy for the job. Even brought them a couple of cattle."

"Yes, I heard something about that, that he was teaching her his technique, the way of the dragon spear."
Anjing gestures at one of the nearby cows.
"And they seem to love the cattle. Seen cheese popping all over the village. As for the headwoman, she's a headwoman, on the celestial totem pole of the empire that don't rate much. We've been very kind, very Shinsei in respecting the village as much as we have. Especially with all the drugging going on."

She turns her gaze to the village with a hard look.
"But if Wu can is willing to devote his days and nights to building a closer bond that's good news then I support it. We have a lot of folks with a lot of different skills here, makes sense we could divide everyone up."

Casually. "What role do you reckon the village is gonna play at the end of this anyway? Spectators....or participants?"
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:12 am
"And they seem to love the cattle. Seen cheese popping all over the village. As for the headwoman, she's a headwoman, on the celestial totem pole of the empire that don't rate much. We've been very kind, very Shinsei in respecting the village as much as we have. Especially with all the drugging going on."
"But are we in the Empire? No Clan holds sway over this village."
Casually. "What role do you reckon the village is gonna play at the end of this anyway? Spectators....or participants?"
"To borrow a line from Togashi... yes."

He made a seesaw motion with his hand.

"This place is very strange, and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or not paying attention. But... I don't get a sense of hostility. We are welcomed to their festival, we have the run of the place without much resentment, more than one samurai is staying in a home in the village... could it be a ruse, some trick to get us to lower our guard? I doubt it."

He tapped the cheekbone under his eye.

"This thing warns me of danger more often than not, and it has shown me only one true vision since getting here, and it wasn't warning of peril. Nothing to do with the villagers, either."

A shrug.

"I think they're not quite what they seem, but I think we've let ourselves become over-watchful. I marched into Jigoku itself. I've seen Lady Shinjo take the form of a Ki-Rin, and my old friend Koyama turn into a dragon. I saw a Nezumi's fur change color as the portal to the Realm of Evil was sealed. I saw the sun hold it position over the capital when the Boss became Emperor. I've seen plenty of unusual thigns, and most of them, on balance, have worked out to be good."

And then he started chuckling.

"And never mind the villagers, right here, these last few days, I've seen a fox spirit doing an incredibly poor job of pretending to be a human trained by Yuzuru, and some kind of dream-thing not even pretending to be human very hard. I've seen a Lion samurai who smells of grass, I've seen Nezumi in my dreams... the villagers are odd, but they're pretty small-scale odd in the grand scheme of things. And I think if they meant us harm, real harm, the first act wouldn't have been a relatively harmless prank. I was on edge at the time, but... nobody who felt its effects seems any the worse for wear."

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:25 am

"I think they're not quite what they seem, but I think we've let ourselves become over-watchful. I marched into Jigoku itself. I've seen Lady Shinjo take the form of a Ki-Rin, and my old friend Koyama turn into a dragon. I saw a Nezumi's fur change color as the portal to the Realm of Evil was sealed. I saw the sun hold it position over the capital when the Boss became Emperor. I've seen plenty of unusual thigns, and most of them, on balance, have worked out to be good."

And then he started chuckling.

"And never mind the villagers, right here, these last few days, I've seen a fox spirit doing an incredibly poor job of pretending to be a human trained by Yuzuru, and some kind of dream-thing not even pretending to be human very hard. I've seen a Lion samurai who smells of grass, I've seen Nezumi in my dreams... the villagers are odd, but they're pretty small-scale odd in the grand scheme of things. And I think if they meant us harm, real harm, the first act wouldn't have been a relatively harmless prank. I was on edge at the time, but... nobody who felt its effects seems any the worse for wear."
Anjing doesn't seem convinced as she shrugs her shoulders with a rattle of armour.
"I will pray you are right then, it would be one less thing to worry about. In my experience unusual means trouble, and their village is unusual indeed. I have seldom seen a land so cursed."
She gestures at the endless fog for emphasis.

"Can't argue that our people aren't plenty weird either. Destiny seems to attract all sorts. I've seen more outlanders here than on the borders of the empire. And most of them have behaved themselves well, or at least well enough to not earn themselves a smack. Makes you wonder if every land in every cycle just has a bunch of misfits turn up to watch the champions do what they have to do, or die in the attempt."
Her expression darkens slightly.
"Not many days left now."
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:38 am
"Can't argue that our people aren't plenty weird either. Destiny seems to attract all sorts. I've seen more outlanders here than on the borders of the empire. And most of them have behaved themselves well, or at least well enough to not earn themselves a smack. Makes you wonder if every land in every cycle just has a bunch of misfits turn up to watch the champions do what they have to do, or die in the attempt."

Her expression darkens slightly.

"Not many days left now."
"That fellow with the mustache- he's from the Ivory Kingdoms, right?"

Sora frowned.

"Haven't gotten a chance to speak with him, but there was a courtier from the Kingdoms at the Winter Court five years back. Fascinating people, but a little wedded to hereditary caste. Rubs me the wrong way- of my five children, so far none have trained to be a warrior like me, for which I am heartily thankful. And as far as time goes... you're quite right. I actually had a vision this evening. Indicated that at least one Thunder was... provisionally revealed."

He cocked his head at Anjing.

"A woman in dark blue armor, defending the other eight."

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:12 am

Snip
"Sugri, yes, he's from the deep deep south. Had a good talk with him. I don't quite understand the castes but he made a good argument for it, the right souls going to the right body and all that."
She raises a hand and wobbles it side to side.
"Maybe I'd have to see it for myself, said the same thing about my kids, if I'd doomed them to generations of being warriors."

She raises an eyebrow at the vision.
"Huh, you don't say? Well, plenty of tough women in dark blue armour out there with good heads on their shoulders. A couple here in the camp with us. Bet she was keeping them safe while they were doing something foolhardy."
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:41 pm
"Sugri, yes, he's from the deep deep south. Had a good talk with him. I don't quite understand the castes but he made a good argument for it, the right souls going to the right body and all that."
She raises a hand and wobbles it side to side.
"Maybe I'd have to see it for myself, said the same thing about my kids, if I'd doomed them to generations of being warriors."
"You remember all that incoherent squawking I did twenty-five years back, about how places have rules for a reason? I'd say it's something we need to keep in mind. Our ways- even now, under the Kami- are still our ways."
She raises an eyebrow at the vision.
"Huh, you don't say? Well, plenty of tough women in dark blue armour out there with good heads on their shoulders. A couple here in the camp with us. Bet she was keeping them safe while they were doing something foolhardy."
"I don't think 'safe' and 'being a Thunder' belong in the same lexicon, but I'd bet whoever she was, she was taking a lot on herself."

He gave Anjing a hard side-eye.

"Of course, that means it could be literally any Crab I've ever met."

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:32 pm

"I don't think 'safe' and 'being a Thunder' belong in the same lexicon, but I'd bet whoever she was, she was taking a lot on herself."

He gave Anjing a hard side-eye.

"Of course, that means it could be literally any Crab I've ever met."
"There isn't a woman or man in my Clan, warrior, mystic, courtier, hunter, farmer, leader, servant or otherwise who isn't ready to step forward and do what needs to be done. And if that means taking it all on themselves they would. We might complain a bit, but we'd do it."

Looking back at Sora.
"I'm proud of my people. And if your vision comes true, or if it doesn't, the Crab Thunder will do their duty. We all know that's something we might not come back from."

She holds his gaze for a few moments before adding in a lighter tone.
"Hope you're not gonna have a vision for every thunder, you'll be wondering around the village in a daze for the next week."
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:42 pm
She holds his gaze for a few moments before adding in a lighter tone.
"Hope you're not gonna have a vision for every thunder, you'll be wondering around the village in a daze for the next week."
"Ah, Anjing, who would notice if I did?"

Carries:

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:44 pm

"Ah, Anjing, who would notice if I did?"
It starts as a snort, then a chuckle, then a full-throated laugh with Anjing holding her sides. It takes a few moments for her to find her voice again.

"Perhaps we are not completely lost, Sora. We have humour at least, even in times like this."
Great Destiny