Anjing

Re: You Know What They Say, Trees Talk [Day 2 LA, Expecting]

Post by Anjing »

Sugri wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:40 pm
"There are certainly those wiser than myself. Though some look up to me as wise so I suppose the worth of that is dependent on perspective. Those of the Brahmin who devote themselves to the gods and serve their temples can call on miracles on their behalf as well."
That at least made sense, you pray to the fortunes and if you pray right the fortunes will respond.
"If you don't look up to anyone as wiser, you're probably an idiot. And if nobody looks up to you as wise...well you're either young or an idiot."
So spoke the wise Anjing

"I'm not sure if age really brings wisdom, but it feels like it. Maybe it's just a chance to look back at our young selves and everything we missed along our journey?"
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:01 am
That at least made sense, you pray to the fortunes and if you pray right the fortunes will respond.
"If you don't look up to anyone as wiser, you're probably an idiot. And if nobody looks up to you as wise...well you're either young or an idiot."
So spoke the wise Anjing

"I'm not sure if age really brings wisdom, but it feels like it. Maybe it's just a chance to look back at our young selves and everything we missed along our journey?"
He nods, "I've always said it is not age but learning from experience. Age just offers more opportunities to learn. I certainly know elders who seem to have passed by every such opportunity and youngsters who have faced more than their fair share but come out the better for it."
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sugri wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:35 am

He nods, "I've always said it is not age but learning from experience. Age just offers more opportunities to learn. I certainly know elders who seem to have passed by every such opportunity and youngsters who have faced more than their fair share but come out the better for it."
"That seems the way of things. Many of the foolish tend to die before their time anyway, most of us anyway."
She shrugs off her pack for a moment, stretching her shoulders and enjoying the fog equivalent of a 'view'.

"I hope my children will be wiser than I was. Much depends on them understanding the new world that has been made for them. I just hope they're smarter enough not to make my mistakes. Tsssk, both of their parents' mistakes."
Glancing over at Sugri.

"It sounds as though you have no children of your own? Your dreams must be different then."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:48 am
"That seems the way of things. Many of the foolish tend to die before their time anyway, most of us anyway."
She shrugs off her pack for a moment, stretching her shoulders and enjoying the fog equivalent of a 'view'.

"I hope my children will be wiser than I was. Much depends on them understanding the new world that has been made for them. I just hope they're smarter enough not to make my mistakes. Tsssk, both of their parents' mistakes."
Glancing over at Sugri.

"It sounds as though you have no children of your own? Your dreams must be different then."
"I think all parents hope the same. Well, all the wise ones at least. As for me, no, none of my own. When I return to my land I will assist at the gurukula and train the children, and adults, there. So hopefully many will learn from my experiences."

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sugri wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:21 am

"I think all parents hope the same. Well, all the wise ones at least. As for me, no, none of my own. When I return to my land I will assist at the gurukula and train the children, and adults, there. So hopefully many will learn from my experiences."
She fishes out a water skin and takes a swig before offering it to Sugri.

"Like a sensei? Many of our older warriors end up doing the same when they become to infirm to serve in battle, it is an honourable position, although the transition can be hard. Setting aside a lifetime of battle and travel for quiet teaching is not an easy transition."

She works a kink out of her back.
"Can't imagine doing it myself, but maybe one day when I get tired enough."
Great Destiny

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:36 am
She fishes out a water skin and takes a swig before offering it to Sugri.

"Like a sensei? Many of our older warriors end up doing the same when they become to infirm to serve in battle, it is an honourable position, although the transition can be hard. Setting aside a lifetime of battle and travel for quiet teaching is not an easy transition."

She works a kink out of her back.
"Can't imagine doing it myself, but maybe one day when I get tired enough."
Sugri accepts the water with a slight bow, "I suppose it would be if you merged a sensei and a monk. It is as much about the spirit as it is about the mind and body but it is the latter as well. I suppose it is less of a transition for me, not counting this trip, as I would go from studying to teaching. In fact I had, for a few months, before I undertook this journey. My master had appointed me to lead when he passed but this was more pressing."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sugri wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:16 am

Sugri accepts the water with a slight bow, "I suppose it would be if you merged a sensei and a monk. It is as much about the spirit as it is about the mind and body but it is the latter as well. I suppose it is less of a transition for me, not counting this trip, as I would go from studying to teaching. In fact I had, for a few months, before I undertook this journey. My master had appointed me to lead when he passed but this was more pressing."
"You were a teacher yourself?"
A nod.
"That makes sense to me, you have the patient demeanour of one."
Once Sugri has had the chance to drink she'll take the skin back and store it carefully.

"I ended up learning by doing, which means more mistakes along the way, many more. But I guess I survived and managed to learn enough to pass something on. The trick-" she leans in as if imparting a great mystery. "-Is to keep moving so you don't get hit, then to strike your opponent hard enough they cannot respond."
Great Destiny

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:58 am
"You were a teacher yourself?"
A nod.
"That makes sense to me, you have the patient demeanour of one."
Once Sugri has had the chance to drink she'll take the skin back and store it carefully.

"I ended up learning by doing, which means more mistakes along the way, many more. But I guess I survived and managed to learn enough to pass something on. The trick-" she leans in as if imparting a great mystery. "-Is to keep moving so you don't get hit, then to strike your opponent hard enough they cannot respond."
He laughs, "I have found that to be a very useful lesson indeed and one I did seek to pass on to my own students. Of course it's easier to say than to do. I have found myself quite good at not getting hit though I suspect my hand or my bow don't quite have the same stopping power as the weapon you bear."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sugri wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:45 pm

He laughs, "I have found that to be a very useful lesson indeed and one I did seek to pass on to my own students. Of course it's easier to say than to do. I have found myself quite good at not getting hit though I suspect my hand or my bow don't quite have the same stopping power as the weapon you bear."
Anjing shrugs. "Probably not, but you aren't going to hunt a rabbit with a tetsubo unless you're making a point or completing a dare For a lot of things a good arrow in the right place makes all the difference." She frowns for a moment, remembering the mad shaper. "Good weapons if you can aim them."

Holding out her weapon. "Against something bigger though, or something armoured, you want this. Sensible, time tested, always works. If it breaks you can have another made up pretty quick. You'll take some hits back though, and that's never fun."
Great Destiny

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Anjing wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:41 pm
Anjing shrugs. "Probably not, but you aren't going to hunt a rabbit with a tetsubo unless you're making a point or completing a dare For a lot of things a good arrow in the right place makes all the difference." She frowns for a moment, remembering the mad shaper. "Good weapons if you can aim them."

Holding out her weapon. "Against something bigger though, or something armoured, you want this. Sensible, time tested, always works. If it breaks you can have another made up pretty quick. You'll take some hits back though, and that's never fun."
"I definitely recall many 'lesson enhancing' bruises I have borne over the years. My master was not an intentionally cruel man but he did have his rough spots."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sugri wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:43 am

"I definitely recall many 'lesson enhancing' bruises I have borne over the years. My master was not an intentionally cruel man but he did have his rough spots."
"Training will do that. It shouldn't be about inflicting pain. But if you mess up like or not you'll end up getting hit. Better to be with a stick and someone you trust than in a skirmish with a spear sticking out of you. It's a good incentive to not get hit again."

Although from the look of her armour not getting hit remained a life long process.
"I'd be happy to trade advice sometime, I've no eye with a bow but it's never too late to learn. And then I could show you how to use a real weapon, what do you say?"

((Happy to fade to them chatting back and forth about weapons, training and the nature of life itself as they continue through the forest?))
Great Destiny

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Anjing wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:48 am
"Training will do that. It shouldn't be about inflicting pain. But if you mess up like or not you'll end up getting hit. Better to be with a stick and someone you trust than in a skirmish with a spear sticking out of you. It's a good incentive to not get hit again."

Although from the look of her armour not getting hit remained a life long process.
"I'd be happy to trade advice sometime, I've no eye with a bow but it's never too late to learn. And then I could show you how to use a real weapon, what do you say?"

((Happy to fade to them chatting back and forth about weapons, training and the nature of life itself as they continue through the forest?))

Sugri nods, "Although such weapons are generally the realm of the Kshatriya, my training is primarily in body and knives, they are not outright forbidden to others. One can learn much, beside the weapon itself, in adapting to new methods and styles."

(Sounds good)

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Sugri wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:05 am
Snip
(( :D Thanks for the scene!))
Great Destiny