Doji Hikaru

[D4EE] Wilderness Wandering

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru was lost in thought.

Fortunately, he'd walked the area enough over the last few days that he was not lost in any other sense of the word. He kept close enough to the familiar grounds of the camp to know more or less where he was going. Still, it was probably for the best; his expression was abstracted, his pale eyes thoughtful as he walked along.

What did it all mean?

Hikaru paused for a moment, shaking his head. He'd paused in a bit of a clearing, enough daylight still filtering down through the branches and fog to provide sufficient light to see by. He should probably head back soon... Hikaru took a deep breath, intending to do just that.
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Shiba Kumori

Re: [D4EE] Wilderness Wandering

Post by Shiba Kumori »

From his side in the woods the sound of footsteps could be heard. They would go for a few seconds and then stop… and then start again.

From behind a tree a woman emerged holding a collection of kindling and firewood under her arm.

She looked up and smiled, “What are you up to out here? None of us should be wandering alone.”

She appeared to be out… wandering alone.
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hearing footsteps, Hikaru frowned. He turned, waiting. His sword stayed in his sheathe, of course; he knew he could have it if he needed it.

As it turned out, he didn't.

Seeing the princess smile, the corners of Hikaru's lips turned up, just a little as he bowed. "One might ask you the same thing, ah..." He straightened, frowning. "I'm sorry. How would you prefer to be called now?"
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She tilted her head and smiled, “What to call me? Anything that isn’t stuffy or mean… Kumori is fine.”

She found a log to sit on and rested her collection of wood next to it, “I’m not exactly the most ‘proper’ one of the Shiba kids.”

Looking up from her stack of firewood she said, “Hopefully we won’t be ambushed by any kite enthusiasts this time.”
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru bowed again. "Kumori-sama, then." That seemed to be the most appropriate.

As she sat, Hikaru would not; however, he did circle closer, finding a tree of tolerable thickness to lean against. In something approaching casualness, he crossed his arms lightly over his chest. It was as relaxed as most people would ever see him. "Proper behavior is in some ways defined by your family." He said. "Perhaps when you do a thing, it is not so improper."

The reminder made him smile, just a little. "I do hope he was satisfied with today's crafts." The smile faded. "Lady Doji could very much use any assistance we can give her. I do not know this story of the cranes, but I am willing to try nearly anything." There were actually many lines he would not cross.

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

“Oof… Depending on the setting,that’s a bit too much responsibility for me…” She said with a chuckle.

“The rest of my family does well with the manners and stuff. I tend to do better out someplace like this.” She looked around to the forest.

“The fewer nitpickers the better.”

She looked over at him by the tree, “And how is she doing? The Lady Doji that is…”

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru spread his hands, almost like a shrug. "And yet, you take on responsibility when it is required." He said, smiling gently. "I hope you take no offense when I say you do well in either role."

The question pushed the smile from Hikaru's face in an instant. He stood there, his expression as wooden as the tree he leaned against. Finally, after some time, he spoke.

"I think the more people that pray for Lady Doji, the better." He finally said, his tone strangely neutral.

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She nods, “I have kept her in my thoughts since that missive was posted.”

She offered a soft smile, “It seems like she is close…”

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru took a deep breath. "Yes." He said. It sounded almost like a sigh. "Thank you." He added.

He shook his head, shaking it off. "You would see her from time to time, yes? When she was visiting Shiba, or Shiba's court. Or when Shiba came to Kyuden Doji, or some such." He frowned, his lips shifting a few times. "How do you remember her?" He asked.

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She paused to think back, “She would come now and then, yes. Always very kind.”

She sat up a bit and shifted her weight on the log.

“She made a kimono for my mother at Sora’s wedding. Brilliant embroidery in a flaming phoenix pattern. I think my mom didn’t like it at first… Reminded her of how she got her scars or something…”

She paused, “But it’s the only one that she has kept all these years… I think the Lady Doji knows how we’ll grow into things better than a lot of people. She has a special gift of insight into people’s hearts. She sets the trend… that we then later realize for its goodness when we’re ready.”

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru smiled gently at the mention of Doji's kindness. He listened as Kumori spoke, his arms still casually crossed.

"Thank you." He said as she finished. "It is nice to hear other people's memories of her. Of her kindness. Of her foresight." He sighed. "My mother raised me, and my various teachers trained me. But in many ways, Lady Doji shaped me into who I am today."

He took a deep breath, still smiling. "She tends to her subjects as she does a garden. Have you ever seen her garden? It's lovely."

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She nodded, “I have… It always was so beautiful… Whenever Ai-chan wasn’t digging it up.”

She smiled softly at the memory of her younger cousin.

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru huffed the shortest of chuckles at that. "Oh, yes. She used to do that fairly regularly. I'm not sure which distressed Lady Doji more, the damage to the garden, or how messy she made herself." He sighed, not unpleasantly.

"When she was younger, I thought she was very much her father's daughter." A frown ever so briefly flickered across Hikaru's handsome features, but he shook his head. "Now that she is older... I think she has become just as much her mother's daughter. I hope she sees that."

He shook his head again. "I have never had the honor of speaking with Lady Jiro. Only in passing with Lord Shiba and Lord Yuzuru." Hikaru said.

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She smiled softly, "That most certainly isn't your fault. The Lady Jiyo is often quite busy... and not known to be overly talkative."

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru nodded. "Indeed." He said. There was a short pause. He was often not overly talkative, either.

Finally, he nodded. "Would you tell me a little about her? It's... something on my mind." His expression was thoughtful.

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

She chuckled nervously once, “About the Emerald Champion?”

She smiled as she looked off into the distance, “Uhm… well. If you could imagine someone who… Hmm…”

She paused and took an ever so soft tone to her voice, “Incredibly honorable… Fiercely loyal… She puts herself last and everyone around her first. She’s done great things despite never being… perfectly suited for them. She adapts into whatever thing the Emperor has needed.”

She then asked, “What has been on your mind?”

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Hikaru listened. "I can imagine that. He finally said. "I have heard that she is a paragon of bushido, even before we truly knew what bushido was. That is certainly borne out by your words." He inclined his head to the princess.

And then he shook his head. "Many things. What makes us who we are. Parents and teachers. Children..." Hikaru sighed. "These strange times seem to make one think about who they really are, and what is really important to them."

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

“It does help someone cut through all the distractions and gunk that we prop up in our minds, doesn’t it?” She said with a nod.

“And so what is important to you now?”