Bayushi Norikage

Re: [D1, EA] Do You Hear That? (Open)

Post by Bayushi Norikage »

"Interesting, I thought the mountains went all the way to the north tip of the empire", he said, thinking. "I thought the Ryoshun provinces were up that way..."

Of course, they may just know them as a different name.

"Anyway, it's a mountain range that cutes the empire into north and south regions, it's enormous. The part of it in the Bayushi provinces has a massive pass that takes days to cross, it's going to be vital for trade as the Rokugan grows." He looked around the forest a bit. "There's also enough spooky shit deep in their peaks to make this place seem normal."
Scorpion Clan • Bushi • Scout • Not Sorry • Great Things Happen
Honor: Let's just not. Status: 1 Glory 3.5
Carries: Swords, fan, mask, pipe, jade. Sometimes: armor, bow, hat, cloak.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I see... so these mountains go all the way south."

She seemed to struggle to imagine it.

"I always knew the mountains as north - the plains as south. Though I suppose I have not travelled far - perhaps the plains are simply a valley."

Shaking her head, she carried on, "Still, I am sad to hear there are monsters even in the south. I had hoped things were better there. Do you like your home near the mountain pass? Even if it has... 'spooky things'?"
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Bayushi Norikage

"Well, legends of ogres, bakemono, strange copper goblins and terse earth kami are all the rage there, helps you not think about going crazy from your dreams", he replied with a shrug. "I like my town, Kashouji, it's growing despite the tough times. I serve the lady governor, Miyako Mitsuki-sama."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Ah. I would not mind meeting strange copper goblins. More interesting than things made primarily of teeth, I should think."

Yukara pondered it. "So you serve the town chief. That makes you an important man, I assume? Did she send you here, or did you follow the mysterious person at a whim?"
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Bayushi Norikage

"I was on a trip of little importance when I happened across a situation in a village that lay in the unaligned lands", he answered. "There was a magistrate, a man who ruled over the town, who for fear of thinking their town was succumbing to the nightmares ignored some particular trouble."

He scowled, thinking about the moment that man had brushed off the obvious danger like it was children causing trouble.

"There was another samurai there, wandering the area. She also sought to fix the situation and we worked together. She gained my respect in not taking a reward, so I decided to travel with her as I had time. This is where we ended up. Apparently she knows all about whatever is happening here, I didn't pay much attention."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Ah."

Yukara sighed. "I still do not entirely understand it. Thunders. Dreams. Clans."

A faint shrug. "If the path opens before me, I will take it. Until then, I can but be vigilant."

Bayushi Norikage

"That makes sense, though from my perspective all I have known is clans." Norikage shrugged. "It wasn't until I was almost a man that I learned more about the tribe my people come from."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Ah. I do not know if I envy you. You seem much better in tune with the future - yet without my past, I do not know if I would be who I am."

Meeting his gaze, she raised a brow. "So do you think we will be these 'thunders'? I confess I have no idea what one is even expected to do. If it were only necessary to be ready to die, I believe the roles could be easily filled. Plenty here seem ready to throw themselves into harm's way."

Bayushi Norikage

"The future is what it is, we all have a part to play", he reminded her. Now that she was looking at him directly, and it had been a moment, he did find himself staring a little bit at her eyes. It was a little unsettling, at first, but held the gaze just the same. "And fuck being ready to die, sure it's part of the oath I took when I picked up blades for my lord, but he doesn't want me to go looking for a reason to throw it away."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"That seems practical. Servants are little use once dead."

Yukara seemed to be uncomfortably good at staring contests, if the ability to study his face was any indication. It really did call to mind a cat watching a bird.

"I suppose I simply do not yet see what part I am intended to play. What I offer that heroes, warriors, mystics, or children of gods..."

She frowned.

"I am simply me."

Bayushi Norikage

Okay, that look says trouble. Is it wrong that I think I like it?

"Well...that...seems to be part of Shinsei's whole game", he said a bit of mirth. "That it's just us or we that control this realm...well, not control it, but we are ningen-do, something like that." He leaned back against his tree, arms still folded, then looked back at her with a shrug. "I'm not much of a philosopher myself and I rarely stay awake when priests are talking."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yukara giggled at that, covering her mouth with her hand, before flicking her wrist, her left hand seeming to produce a string of prayer beads to idly turn between those thin, pale digits. "You have not fallen asleep talking to me. I do not claim enlightenment, however, so perhaps I am not yet difficult to understand. I will hope that if I do gain in wisdom, I will not become too boring a partner to speak with."

Bayushi Norikage

"Well, we're just a man and a woman having a talk in the forest", he replied, giving her another glance. "If you were trying to educate me, then you'd have carry me back while I nap."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Oh?" There was a devilish glint in her eyes that almost seemed to threaten a sudden outpouring of wise sayings, but she only smirked faintly. "You seem quite fixated on us being a man, and a woman, and in the woods."

Leaning upon her bisento, she flicked her travelling pack closed, now at least 80% less infested with beetles. "I wonder why the thought continues to plague you so."

Bayushi Norikage

"Well, did I get it wrong?" he asked, pushing off the tree and getting closer. More animated he looked at Yukara closely, even sniffing a little. "Are you not a woman?"

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

That seemed to surprise her, she pivoted slightly, flipping the bag over a shoulder and arching one brow. "I am a woman, of course."

She nodded to him. "I dare say, I believe you are a man. Though I have not seen your face, I remain convinced of this fact. That does not explain what is so fascinating about those facts, however. There are many women in this village. Beautiful, or important, or powerful. Our presence is simply a reality - one that I do not give particular meaning."

Bayushi Norikage

"Well", he said, amused at her overexplaining of the matter. "I said it the first time because as I explained: flirting." He held up his hand with two fingers. "The second time was to draw a line between your status as a priest and the fact that you're a girl." He winked.

Clearly it must have been the same reason twice.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Ah."

She dipped her gaze from his face once more, investigating the dirt and plants underfoot.

"As I said before - I am ignorant of the first reason, and ill-suited to drawing that distinction in the latter. I am the student of a monk - if not for those teachings, I would not even be here. You would doubtless be better answered by ladies such as the Foxy one, or the important children of the kami."

Bayushi Norikage

"So does being the student of a monk mean that is how you should live your life?" he asked. "My teacher taught me everything they knew, but I can say for certain he regretted not being able to teach me anything better. I think all teachers feel that way. As students we should continue to learn and experience new things."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I wonder."

She did not yet meet his gaze again.

"I do not know what he would advise. I know only that I am not trained to flirt, or to respond to flirting in the correct way."

A dry chuckle slipped from her lips, but she said no more.