Kaijarisuigyo

D0EM – A sneaky approach

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

In the dim twilight, a human figure was approaching the village under the cover of the woods... on the back of a tiger.

"We have to split up here friend, she whispered to her mount. Humans would be rightfully afraid if they saw you."
Last edited by Kaijarisuigyo on Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Sugri

Re: D0EM – A sneaky approach

Post by Sugri »

Approaching, from the other cardinal point, was (for once in his time in Rokugan) a slightly less conspicuous human in foreign garb. He whistles, although not entirely well, a folk song not likely heard in these lands before. The strange fog was disturbing but he could not control the weather. Thus it was better to fight chill and discomfort with warm memories and joy.

The song trails off as he witnesses the beast ahead. He had seen tigers. He had hunted tigers - though only when they had succumbed to the taste of the flesh of man. But even among the performers and trainers of the villages around his gurukula he does not think he had ever seen anyone ride one outside of murals and carvings.

One finger absently traces over the carved ivory inlay of his bow, over the etching of a tiger-headed demon with an arrow sprouting from its eye, as he considers whether the weapon should be strung. But he pauses for now - these were strange lands with strange sights and he did not yet know if this was person or demon before him.

"Good... morning...?"
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"Oh good morning sir," answered the girl as she urged the tiger to go away with a push, the big animal as undecided about whether it should go or stay as a more ordinary sized cat.

"This one is... Kai. Have you eaten today? It seems to be a thing people inquire about a lot around there."
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

The thing about being a stranger in a strange land is that one often then does not know what is out of the ordinary.

But this, this was strange.

Still whoever this was they, and their beast, did not seem hostile in act nor intent so there was no reason to meet them in kind.

"Ah, yes, some of the farm folk were kind enough to part with their grains while I traveled and I had enough left to break my fast this morning. You are not from these lands then?"

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"My place of coming into this world is on the other side of the lands the disciples of the Dragon of the East have called home. It's not that far away if your legs are fast. I had secure a good, inconspicuous horse for the trip. But the darkness found it and changed it into a foul creature who tried to take me to the Realm of Nightmares rather than here. Thankfully I woke up before it had galloped beyond the point of no return.

A meal of vegetables is very wise. Humans digest vegetables well and there is some 'political' thing about eating meat around there."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

That... was an impressive story. Though with the other strange tales now haunting this land it might even be true.

"I am glad to hear you made it safely and glad to hear there is some wisdom in these lands. One cannot eat meat without harm. It is not unnatural, and for survival it may sometimes become necessary, but for those of us who have the will and awareness to do otherwise we should seek a path without it."

Realizing the early morning had caused a slight slip in his own manners he catches himself and offers a small bow with hands together before him, "Apologies, I just realized I did not respond in kind. You may call me Sugri."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"Ah yes. Almost forgot. Exposing the back of your neck to show you trust the other person not to harm you. Very important."

She returned the bow.

"Meat is the prize of the hunt. Eating meat you haven't rightfully earned will turn you fat and weak instead of big and strong. Leaving meat that is rightfully yours to the scavengers is no better however. One shall take what is theirs, no less, no more."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

"Well that's..."

He catches himself mid urge to correct. It wasn't his place to put his beliefs upon these people plus, if he was being honest, that was at least a closer interpretation of right action than some of the less enlightened in his own land managed at times.

"You are correct that none should be wasted if hunting does become necessary."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"It will be. It is. Not to fill our belly. But for safety. The beasts of evil have invaded this land. If you don't want to become their prey, you need to become their predator."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

At that he nods, "Sometimes the path to least harm is removing that which causes harm and if that which causes harm is unnatural and not of this world, let alone these lands, then it is only right to see it returned from whence it came."

It was a slippery slope, one had to be very careful that they did not start seeing sources of 'harm' where it was convenient, but if this one meant evil spirits or demons then that he could certainly embrace.

A finger crosses over the etchings on the inlay once again.

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"Lots of words to explain a simple thing. You'll fit perfectly in these lands even if your place of birth is far away. Just don't forget to show your nape."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Sugri can't help but laugh, a warm rich sound even with the dampening of the cool fog, "I can't say I'm used to being the one accused of being overly talkative. But I suppose I have been trying to test this new language more than I otherwise might."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"Wise again. Humans are like wolves: Only strong in packs. Ensuring the cohesion of the group through exchanges of words is required for survival."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Sugri nods, "The wilds do have much wisdom to offer when one knows where to look and listen."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"One such lesson being not to limit yourself to only two, or even five, senses. A lesson I think you know even if your words dance around as you carry the smell of woods far deeper than this little grove.

To know who's watching for a moment of weakness to strike, even when leaves block your view, buzzing your ears, aroma your nose, such is required to cross the tiger's den and come out of it alive."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

"It is true that my path teaches that the worldly senses can be misled and one must seek to perceive beyond what they offer. Though I will say I have not truly dared the den, for I have no quarrel with beasts in their homes, only those that stray from nature and become a danger to those who have not earned such ire by foolish trespass."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"Then you still have a lot to learn. For braving a den is indeed foolish, it is nonetheless sometimes necessary. There are creatures who need to be fought on their terms, in their turf, for otherwise they will make the whole world their home. Sometimes dumb courage is better than cleverness and carefulness.

Keep the bow though. Bow good. The bow made humans out of monkeys. Great symbolical strength. Good practical efficiency too."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

"Thankfully I have not been required to face such dangers yet but it is not a duty I would shirk would it arise." He runs his fingers over the bow and the stories its inlay tells, and thinks on those it does not, "It certainly is a powerful tool."

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

"For a long time ago, humans that were not yet humans lived under the ground as moles and worms, because they feared the beasts inhabiting the sky, for no matter how far they threw their stones and sticks, they couldn't reach them, while the creatures' fire could easily descend upon them.

And then the first archer came, and with them the doom of the sky beasts. They fell or they retreated higher up in heavens, living on but now unable to interfere with the life of the people under them. And that's how humans came to live at the surface, under the gaze of the surviving beasts, that you know as the sun, the moon and the stars.

Such is the tale of the Spider. Of course, they would also explain they made the string of the first bow out of their own silk. Because all Spider tales have to be about Spider in the end. They're kinda egocentric."

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

A chuckle, "I find that those who tell tales often center themselves. A little bit of ego seems to serve tale-tellers well."