Nozomi

EA3 - Peace, Like a River

Post by Nozomi »

Nozomi relaxed onto a large rock within view of the river. No, she had no interest in drinking the water. But the sound of a babbling brook was surprisingly soothing while one attempted to rebuild one's center. Nature, and the surroundings of the forest were themselves very relaxing and helped to take away just a fragment of the worries of the day.

She, nevertheless, used the opportunity to keep her awareness out, listening for the snap of any twigs or the presence of another soul. She didn't imagine others would come, but she did hate surprises.

Void-Meditation TN 20, Result 29 - Recover 2 Void Points
(Note: Soul of the Four Winds, 8-Directions Awareness and Hotei's Belly are active.)
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Anjing

Re: EA3 - Peace, Like a River

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:27 am
snip
Stomp! Twig crack, bird shrieks. Stomp! Twig crack, armour creaks. Stomp! Twig crack, feels like she's been here for weeks.

Anjing walks into view, on a mission to reconnoiter the river of forgetting.
Spotting the other woman relaxing peacefully Anjing greets her with a grunt and a deadpan: "How about this weather?"
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:56 am
Stomp! Twig crack, bird shrieks. Stomp! Twig crack, armour creaks. Stomp! Twig crack, feels like she's been here for weeks.

Anjing walks into view, on a mission to reconnoiter the river of forgetting.
Spotting the other woman relaxing peacefully Anjing greets her with a grunt and a deadpan: "How about this weather?"
Nozomi opened her eyes from the state of meditation she'd reached and began to uncoil a little, into a more relaxed posture. She gave Anjing a bow and looked at her with a mirthless smile. "I've seen far worse weather, but none this far north. Somehow, I think it's testing our sense of direction."

There was a pause there for a moment as she seemed to be recalling something, before nodding. "I remember you, Anjing-sama. You traveled to the South, long ago, didn't you?" She didn't really need to say which time they'd both traveled to the South, even if the two had never really socialized in those days.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced 2 Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Destined * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:09 am

Nozomi opened her eyes from the state of meditation she'd reached and began to uncoil a little, into a more relaxed posture. She gave Anjing a bow and looked at her with a mirthless smile. "I've seen far worse weather, but none this far north. Somehow, I think it's testing our sense of direction."

There was a pause there for a moment as she seemed to be recalling something, before nodding. "I remember you, Anjing-sama. You traveled to the South, long ago, didn't you?" She didn't really need to say which time they'd both traveled to the South, even if the two had never really socialized in those days.
"Hmmm?" Anjing raises an eyebrow for a moment, thinking back. "I...ah, the deep south. My niece Xia went on that journey, not I. Too many children to juggle at the time. But she recorded many stories of that time."

She starts running through them in her head, mouthing the words.
"You match the description of...there was a young woman, her way was not set yet she rode with the wind. Nozomi? If I have matched correctly."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:25 am
"Hmmm?" Anjing raises an eyebrow for a moment, thinking back. "I...ah, the deep south. My niece Xia went on that journey, not I. Too many children to juggle at the time. But she recorded many stories of that time."

She starts running through them in her head, mouthing the words.
"You match the description of...there was a young woman, her way was not set yet she rode with the wind. Nozomi? If I have matched correctly."
"It must be the family resemblance in that case. My apologies," she said, nodding as she took in the head of the family for a moment. "There was a girl of another name who once in her life rode like the wind atop the back of a Ki-Rin. That old life was put in her past and Nozomi was the woman who emerged from the other side of the river, yes." That was how she liked to phrase it when it came to the name change.

"If you could believe it, I'm not actually a very good rider." Just ask Shinjo.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:31 am

"It must be the family resemblance in that case. My apologies," she said, nodding as she took in the head of the family for a moment. "There was a girl of another name who once in her life rode like the wind atop the back of a Ki-Rin. That old life was put in her past and Nozomi was the woman who emerged from the other side of the river, yes." That was how she liked to phrase it when it came to the name change.

"If you could believe it, I'm not actually a very good rider." Just ask Shinjo.
"Gangly child that one. Smart though, good person to have around when something exciting was happening, she'd always be as happy to record as participate."
Anjing nods her head at the story of the name.
"Well met then, Nozomi. We have many stories of you. I hope these past years have bought more joy than sorrow, more peace than war, and more wisdom than confusion."

Walking over to the monk.
"I cannot imagine what it would be like to sit astride the Ki-Rin. You hung on, doubtless many others would have fallen. Sometimes that is all we can do."
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:37 am
"Gangly child that one. Smart though, good person to have around when something exciting was happening, she'd always be as happy to record as participate."
Anjing nods her head at the story of the name.
"Well met then, Nozomi. We have many stories of you. I hope these past years have bought more joy than sorrow, more peace than war, and more wisdom than confusion."

Walking over to the monk.
"I cannot imagine what it would be like to sit astride the Ki-Rin. You hung on, doubtless many others would have fallen. Sometimes that is all we can do."
She chuckled a little. "For dear life. I hung on for dear life. We were both... desperate at the time." Shinsei had gone off on his own, and she'd been freaking out. That monk sometimes... and that time, he'd been in a surprising amount of trouble. "Well met, Anjing-sama. As for my stories since? They have been filled with joy and ... frustration. The Path set out by the little teacher is one that does not come naturally to everyone, though I have learned much in my travels at least."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:45 am

She chuckled a little. "For dear life. I hung on for dear life. We were both... desperate at the time." Shinsei had gone off on his own, and she'd been freaking out. That monk sometimes... and that time, he'd been in a surprising amount of trouble. "Well met, Anjing-sama. As for my stories since? They have been filled with joy and ... frustration. The Path set out by the little teacher is one that does not come naturally to everyone, though I have learned much in my travels at least."
"We hold on tightest when we are desperate, may I join you?"
She gestures at the rock.

"Ah, I can sympathize with the frustrations of life. Although I think my path is very...different to that which I hear Shinsei preaches. But he himself has walked many paths, has he not? A wild young man, now the wise teacher."

Gesturing around them.
"And at the end of the path, here. Fog, mystery, the weight of the world. It is heavy."
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:05 am
"We hold on tightest when we are desperate, may I join you?"
She gestures at the rock.

"Ah, I can sympathize with the frustrations of life. Although I think my path is very...different to that which I hear Shinsei preaches. But he himself has walked many paths, has he not? A wild young man, now the wise teacher."

Gesturing around them.
"And at the end of the path, here. Fog, mystery, the weight of the world. It is heavy."
She nodded and gestured that there was space on the rock for the Crab to sit. "Of course," she said. "Children are themselves meant to be both a blessing and a frustration upon their elders. One would never wish it to be otherwise." And so much of her life had been pre-occupied with those very joys and frustrations.

"The Path takes many forms. It is different for each of us. I can't walk the Teacher's path because it isn't mine, nor can he walk mine. We can help, and maybe offer guidance, but it is always our own to walk."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:12 pm

Snip

Anjing nods and plonks herself down on the rock with a rattle of armour.
"And he's carrying that big stone around with him all the while which I reckon makes it more difficult. Good for conditioning though."
She leans in conspiratorially. "You and he are close right?...Do you know why he's carrying it? I refuse to believe it is merely for gains."
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

"I have never gotten a consistent story out of him about that," she said, neither confirming nor denying that the two of them were indeed close... a lot closer than she ever publicly let on. "I think he has carried it since the time when the kami fell, perhaps longer. My guess is that it had some significance long ago, but now as much as anything it is a constant teaching tool, this one for his body while others are for his mind. Carrying that one around? The man is incredibly strong."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:51 pm
"I have never gotten a consistent story out of him about that," she said, neither confirming nor denying that the two of them were indeed close... a lot closer than she ever publicly let on. "I think he has carried it since the time when the kami fell, perhaps longer. My guess is that it had some significance long ago, but now as much as anything it is a constant teaching tool, this one for his body while others are for his mind. Carrying that one around? The man is incredibly strong."
Anjing sits back, brow furrowing. "Well, it is a good conversation starter. Every village he walks into, people will want to ask about the rock and then I suppose he can go from there. But there is no doubt as to his strength. Although he has seemed quiet lately, the pressures of leadership. I can sympathise."

She reaches down to find a small stone and tosses it into the stream with a quiet 'splish'.

"How do you see his call for us to strengthen the bonds and compassion between us? What does that mean to you?"
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Anjing wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:29 pm
Anjing sits back, brow furrowing. "Well, it is a good conversation starter. Every village he walks into, people will want to ask about the rock and then I suppose he can go from there. But there is no doubt as to his strength. Although he has seemed quiet lately, the pressures of leadership. I can sympathise."

She reaches down to find a small stone and tosses it into the stream with a quiet 'splish'.

"How do you see his call for us to strengthen the bonds and compassion between us? What does that mean to you?"
"A different lesson for each town. A different version of the story." The rock was basically a giant and ongoing lesson, on its own. The other question, though, made her sigh and rest one hand on her knee as she pulled it up.

"The Thunders will face the champion of Jigoku in time. That time comes soon. That which ties us together, that which binds the clans one to another, even when they cannot stand each other? That will be part of what bolsters the few for the time when destiny must strike." She offered a bit of a rueful smirk. "Or at least, that's my take on what he says? It makes sense that if we're strong together, we fight better than if we're at odds."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:37 am

"A different lesson for each town. A different version of the story." The rock was basically a giant and ongoing lesson, on its own. The other question, though, made her sigh and rest one hand on her knee as she pulled it up.

"The Thunders will face the champion of Jigoku in time. That time comes soon. That which ties us together, that which binds the clans one to another, even when they cannot stand each other? That will be part of what bolsters the few for the time when destiny must strike." She offered a bit of a rueful smirk. "Or at least, that's my take on what he says? It makes sense that if we're strong together, we fight better than if we're at odds."
"Your understanding is as valuable as any others. It is not as though many of us undertook apocalypse school."
Anjing shrugs slightly with a 'what can you do? Sometimes the world is ending' motion.
"No argument from me about whether a warrior fights better with allies at their side. You know, I was out talking to that outlander with the big moustache, Sugri. Sounded like his people once went through something similar, but at the other side everyone came together and it was all for the best."

Raising a hand and tilting it side to side.
"Now that's obviously less attractive when the other result is the end of our world. But it seemed like for them, it ended up all being for the good. I'm not sure that will happen with us, but it might? Some things look different at times like these, others the same. Where do you stand? Reckon there's some greater good to it all? Or just people being people?"
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Anjing wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:41 am
"Your understanding is as valuable as any others. It is not as though many of us undertook apocalypse school."
Anjing shrugs slightly with a 'what can you do? Sometimes the world is ending' motion.
"No argument from me about whether a warrior fights better with allies at their side. You know, I was out talking to that outlander with the big moustache, Sugri. Sounded like his people once went through something similar, but at the other side everyone came together and it was all for the best."

Raising a hand and tilting it side to side.
"Now that's obviously less attractive when the other result is the end of our world. But it seemed like for them, it ended up all being for the good. I'm not sure that will happen with us, but it might? Some things look different at times like these, others the same. Where do you stand? Reckon there's some greater good to it all? Or just people being people?"
"For the few who still hold to the old ways, it's a tough road. I hope they can stand with us in the end, or at least find a safe way." She'd had to push pretty hard and was grateful that Bayushi had looked on her kin with as much favor as he had. The question got a grim look on her face and she breathed in, then out.

Mayumi isn't here. She's gone away, in case we fail. Someone has to be ready. In history, Jigoku must have won at least once, thousands of years ago... It's possible.

"I have faith in the Thunders. These are the heirs of the ones who descended into darkness and saved a god. I have to be able to relinquish my death grip on what should happen and trust that they are enough."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:42 pm

Snip
"Faith is probably a good thing, trusting in others is harder, but when there is no alternative..." she shrugs. "Where is Hisomu anyway? Always figured he'd have some comment on all this. Guess he's recovering from a fall heavy enough to break the world. With all the fog I sort of wondered if the same had happened again, one of their family had taken a tumble and fallen into yume-do, guess nobody's that unlucky."

With a grin mainly to herself. "So, what are you going to after all this of this with your death grip released? I spoke to another monk the other day and it sounded like lots of journeying around and doing selfless work. A strange lifestyle but hardly a bad one."
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

"I believe he is busy coordinating the search and research against the darkness." She shook her head. "But I am not one of his clan, so I could not truly say what his business is about. I tend to think that the tasks of the kami are above me enough that I try not to draw their gaze unless needed." She was just a monk, after all. True, that came with a lot of protections, but she didn't press the matter unless given leave to do so.

"When this is done? I may just try to sit down and contemplate the Tao." She laughed a little and shook her head. "No, no. I know better. I will be meeting with the peasants in other areas, helping build temples and sharing stories until I lose my voice." Well, that and perhaps jumping at her shadows, but that didn't bear mentioning.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:19 am
Snip
"Eh, they're not that different from you and I. Share a bedroll with one for long enough and you notice they're pretty human, even if one wrong snore and roll over and you're gonna be crushed. Dear oh dear, that took some getting used to."
She smiles slightly at the memory, her eyes bright.

"But yes, the future. That sounds very fine, very sensible, if perhaps it doesn't leave much room for retirement. Tell me, have you ever passed through the Crab lands before? We would never turn down anyone offering to assist use and if food and shelter is all that is required, we can at least provide that."
Great Destiny

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi »

Anjing wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:28 am
"Eh, they're not that different from you and I. Share a bedroll with one for long enough and you notice they're pretty human, even if one wrong snore and roll over and you're gonna be crushed. Dear oh dear, that took some getting used to."
She smiles slightly at the memory, her eyes bright.

"But yes, the future. That sounds very fine, very sensible, if perhaps it doesn't leave much room for retirement. Tell me, have you ever passed through the Crab lands before? We would never turn down anyone offering to assist use and if food and shelter is all that is required, we can at least provide that."
She snorted and then she just barked out a yip of a laugh. "Oh, I can believe that. I've only met him once from a far distance, but he seems probably the most human of them all. It's a good trait. He seems an endearing sort." Look, she knew all about the company of a beatstick, so she could kind of commiserate there.

"Pffft, I don't really plan to retire. That's for other people. I'll rest when I leave Ningen-do," she admitted with a little wink. "I haven't done that much in Crab Lands. Too much work in the south, but I should rectify that. The Crab watch over a very wide swath of land after all."

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nozomi wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:35 pm

She snorted and then she just barked out a yip of a laugh. "Oh, I can believe that. I've only met him once from a far distance, but he seems probably the most human of them all. It's a good trait. He seems an endearing sort." Look, she knew all about the company of a beatstick, so she could kind of commiserate there.

"Pffft, I don't really plan to retire. That's for other people. I'll rest when I leave Ningen-do," she admitted with a little wink. "I haven't done that much in Crab Lands. Too much work in the south, but I should rectify that. The Crab watch over a very wide swath of land after all."
"He's got his good traits, wouldn't have married him otherwise. Loves his family, even with a laugh or a smile, never shirks the work. Plenty to like."

Nodding along at Nozomi's non-retirement plans.
"Well, make sure you get a little rest here and there, easy to tire out otherwise. But if you're coming to help you'll be welcome. So long as you're okay with heights and the cold you can walk from one side of the empire to the other and never leave our lands. And we have lots of folks who could use help."

Continuing to nod as she thinks. "This other monk, she said she focused on medicine for the sick and building projects as needed. What's your approach?"
Great Destiny