Haka Tae-soo

D5 MM - The River's Bounty (Open)

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

The morning after a night full of nightmares found both Tae-soo and Ha-yeong waking up considerably later than usual. A quick check between them confirmed both had been beset by nightmares... and by now, especially after what Tae-soo had seen at the cave and what Satsuki and the others shared about the scroll, it was more or less clear why the last nights had been weird.

This was the first time that the weirdness really found its way to them, though. And of course that visitor from the night before was not fully explained yet.

But doom on the horizon or not, they still needed sustanance. Both of them were rather frustrated by now that they had to keep to water from a well while within feet of the river, but considering all they'd learnt, it was a lesser evil for now. He could possibly ask the River to cleanse some of its water for them... that would be an interesting experiment, even. Maybe?

For now, though, he kept to the usual. Rod on one hand, net on another, he made his way to the riverbank, Ha-yeong by his side this time. They'd fish enough for their day... but also some more, today. There had been talk of a feast in the evening, so they should go for a good catch this time.

-----
D5 MM - Fishing for themselves and for the Feast. Let's say three rolls. First one has two Raises for quantity. | 7k4+4 ⇒ 36

Should get a rather decent amount of 'normal' fish! Let's say mostly Minnow, some small Char trouts and Ayu.

D5 MM - Fishing for themselves and for the Feast. Let's say three rolls. Second one, two Raises for quality. | 7k4+4 ⇒ 39

And a few preeeety special ones! Let's say a decent-sized Ayu, a Cherry trout and some Unagi?

D5 MM - Fishing for themselves and for the Feast. Let's say three rolls. Third one, One Raisefor quality, two for quantity. | 7k4+4 ⇒ 27

This third one probably didn't get much. A few normal fish, maybe, with a 12? Or just nothing.
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Otomo Akutou

Re: D5 MM - The River's Bounty (Open)

Post by Otomo Akutou »

It's a quiet approach that brings another figure up to the pair fishing, so it's something of a surprise when a somewhat sleepy "How's th' catch this mornin'?" rises behind them.

Preemptively responding to the likely surprise, the figure touches the brim of his hat and offers "Otomo Akutou" by way of introduction.

"But I mean it 'bout th' catch."

He glances about. "Might be some good huntin' hereabouts, as well, if'n y' care t' do any o' that."

~~~~~
Stealth 25, https://sakkaku.org/r/12065
Hunting 28, https://sakkaku.org/r/12066
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:57 pm
Snip
The young man answers without even turning his head at first. "Oh, rather good I'd say! Judging by the fish here one wouldn't have a clue that the River is hurting so..."

He pulls the rod back, gets another small trout, adds it to the catch in a basket besides him, then finally turns back and bows. It's apparently only then that the name 'Otomo' rings a bell and he decides to stand up and bow properly. "Oh. Otomo-nim... nice to meet you, and excuse our manners" The young one also fishing besides him takes the hint and bows as well, not necessarily fully willingly. "I figured whoever was moving back here was trying to keep quiet to hunt, so I didn't want to intrude!" Looking at the forest, then. "Ah... any luck so far? We kept mostly to the river's bounty these days."

----
D5 MM - Does he see Akutou? Tradition Keeper | 7k4+4 ⇒ 46 (TN: 25) :lol: I guess he does hear Akutou!

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
DescriptionTheme

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

It seems that Shang is constantly drawn to this forbidden river. Even after the stern warnings and Yumi's personal psychedelic trip she had to supervise, the Dragon had yet to be dissuaded about returning. Unlike the creepy whispering forest, it hadn't scared her away yet and there was some fascinating mystique to it.

Much to her surprise on this visit, she would encounter two people fishing and talking to some unknown party. Oh dear, did they drink from the river too? "Good morning!" She would call out at first to make herself obvious, to not be mistaken as a stalking bandit or anything unsavoury. "...I hope everything is well there, Scorpion-san? That's an impressive amount of fish you have there!"
Last edited by Saru Shang on Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:05 pm
Snip
"Y'ain't gotta be all fancy wi' me," Akutou says. "I'm just a Hunter; ain't nobody special like some 'round here thinks they is."
Saru Shang wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:29 pm
snip
"Well, Miss Saru!" Aktuou says. "Always a pleasure t' see you ag'in."
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:29 pm
Snip
The young man in odd-patterned robes bows again as he sees the tattooed lady walking towards them. "Annyeong, Saru-nim. Haka Tae-soo.. I don't think we've met before?", he says, still bowing - and a quick look reveals the younger Haka did the same thing without prompting this time, a weak voice saying "Ha-yeong" as they do so.

Looking at the river, then the baskets with fish besides them - "Been as well as a good catch can make a day in... "

He doesn't quite finish the sentence. "Been a good catch today", he says instead, nodding to both with a weak smile. "And... I'll try, Akutou-nim. We will, ne?", he adds with a nod to the younger one.

"Don't suppose you've come to the river to fish as well, Saru-nim? Or hunt like Otomo-nim here?"

DescriptionTheme

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:58 pm
"Well, Miss Saru!" Aktuou says. "Always a pleasure t' see you ag'in."
"Yes..." She said at first before looking dumbfoundedly around the bushes for the voice. There was a part of her that wondered if she was hearing things but if the Scorpions were hearing the same things, perhaps it was less hallucination and more reality? "Otomo-san. Good to hear from you, it's been some days since the fried chicken, right? I hope you're doing well, wherever you are!"
Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:38 pm
-
"No, I don't think we have! This one is Shang of the Saru, pleased to meet you both," she said as she presented her bow. "That's good to hear about the catch. I'm surprised that the rivers are so bountiful with fish but it seems to be the case with both the farmlands and the village's stores, too. As for me, oh, no. I'm just here to gather my thoughts and watch the river."

She would take a pause as the good humour seemed to drain from her face as she turned serious, perhaps looking at Tae-soo with scrutiny. "Not to alarm you in the slightest but I'm already doing so with this question, I know...Would this be your first time catching fish at the river? Have you had the fish here before?"
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Saru Shang wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:51 pm
snip
Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:38 pm
snip
Akutou gives up on hiding.

"'Pologies," he says, grinning. "An' things get better wi' good comp'ny."

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Snip
The Haka bows again, followed by the younger one. "Pleased to meet you, Saru-nim. We are, ne?", he says, nudging the younger one a bit, to which he answers with an awkward "Ne!".

The woman's sudden seriousness is received with a slight squint of his eyes - he even turns his head around for a moment, as if wonderig if something else might be the issue. As the end of the question makes things clearer, he shakes his head slightly, voice somewhat flat. "Oh, aniyo Saru-nim. The River's kindness has nurtured us since the day after we arrived."

"I imagine you ask because the water is taboo?" he asks, looking at the river again, eyes maybe showing some sadness. "The River... it has been hurting. We've been talking about that for some time. How to help it has been on my mind ever since the first talk... "

Who we is in this case might or might not be clear.
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:52 pm
Snip
The younger one looks at the Otomo, then at the forest, takes a few steps towards it. Tae-soo eyes them, then the hunter. "Has the land's bounty been kind, Otomo-nim? Maybe we could try together after the River's gifts are properly stored?"

DescriptionTheme

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:55 pm
snip
Saru Shang wrote:
Snip
"We might could do that," Akutou agrees, "all willin'

"O' course, last time I tried huntin' here, I shot a baku. Still ain't rightly sure what one is, but it could talk, an' that means it ain't fit f'r eatin."

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:52 pm
Haka Tae-soo wrote:
"There you are! My apologies, maybe I just didn't see you earlier." She would say when he emerged.

"Oh! Then, in that case, there's no reason to not carry on!" She chuckled, trying to sweep that serious suspicion she had earlier. "Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any cause for concern and you're aware! That's good..."

Shang couldn't maintain her mustered good spirits as she found herself admitting that was the very reason for her concern. "Uhm, because, I was speaking about the water. And I was under the impression that the fish too would also be afflicted with the same properties since they are surrounded by the same properties. In fact, I know someone who tried to drink from it. No, she drank from it and she went a little tipsy like she was drunk!"

"Wait, a baku now?" She said as she turned to Akutou at that curiousity.

Description

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Saru Shang wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:02 pm
Haka Tae-soo wrote:
"That's what it said, ma'am," Akutou replies. "Might've been lyin', though. I ain't got the knowin' as'd help me wi' that."

He scratches the back of his head, low. "I ain't exactly scholarly material, nor yet'm I terribly civ'lized. As many'd tell you were they inclined t' talk much 'bout me."

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:02 pm
Snip
Tae-soo turns around to look at Shang equal parts interested and worried. It takes him a while to elaborate the question... which is a simple one in the end.

"Oh? Someone did drink from the river?" He looked at the water, then at her again. "And... was that all that happened?"

He furrowed and unfurrowed his brow a few times, looked at the water, blinked, looked back at her. "The River told us its bounty is unaffected by whatever hurt it... but it is hurting. And with the villagers declaring it taboo..."

He looks at the ground, wonders. "Saru-nim... did you drink from the river too, by any chance?"
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:17 pm
Snip
The hunter's talk about a baku does draw his attention.

"A baku? I... don't think I've heard of that animal in the woods we were more used to? What are they like then, Otomo-nim?"

DescriptionTheme

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:12 am
Snip
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:17 pm
Snip
"Oh, uhm," she murmured to herself as her gaze went left and right, just realizing that she inadvertently let the cat out of the bag. However, she was determined to at least keep the details as clean as possible about said person. "Well, yes. Someone did. I couldn't stop them but I did watch them and ensure that they were of sound body and mind. It seemed that they fared rather well, despite all the warnings. Not that I would recommend anyone to do it, that'll be madness and very irresponsible!"

"Let's not be hasty to think that I drank from this river!" She said, sounding mildly offended at the prospect for a few beats before her mood relaxed. "...However, if I had to drink it then I suppose I wouldn't kill myself before doing that."

She was mildly glad for the distraction from the Otomo, regarding his more fantastical find!

"Let's start from the beginning, Otomo-san! What does this creature look like and how did you catch it? It talked to you too? This seems like something that doesn't sound mundane in the slightest!" She exclaimed. Most important of all, did you drink from the river?

Description

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:55 am
Snip
The Haka seemed to notice Shang's brief vexation at his words, even raising his hands as if to apologise. "Ah, I didn't mean that as a criticism, Saru Shang-nim! I was more just worried, I guess, considering what the River has shown and what's in its source. Worried, and..."

Curious?.

The word didn't quite come in time, and she had soon changed to the other, (even) less ordinary topic.

He does wait for the Otomo's answer, but when it's given he looks to the Saru again, somewhat hesitant.

"This person, Saru Shang-nim. They... they didn't lose their memories, then?" A hand rises somewhat apologetically again. "If you don't mind me asking, of course!"

DescriptionTheme

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:09 am
The Haka seemed to notice Shang's brief vexation at his words, even raising his hands as if to apologise. "Ah, I didn't mean that as a criticism, Saru Shang-nim! I was more just worried, I guess, considering what the River has shown and what's in its source. Worried, and..."

Curious?.

The word didn't quite come in time, and she had soon changed to the other, (even) less ordinary topic.

He does wait for the Otomo's answer, but when it's given he looks to the Saru again, somewhat hesitant.

"This person, Saru Shang-nim. They... they didn't lose their memories, then?" A hand rises somewhat apologetically again. "If you don't mind me asking, of course!"
"Oh, no...you're just doing your due diligence with the river, I'm sure." She said before giving a curious glance at the man. It seemed that he had the trappings of some spiritual. The fact that the river spoke to him would prove that likely the case. "I'm not so sure what its source, to be honest. Is there something else I should be aware of? I was told that it could be potentially tainted, too, of course. I have not spoken to the river in the same manner."

"And no, they seemed very together when I talked to them. We had a mostly normal conversation. They were just physically affected with signs of drunkness and lightheadedness. The last I checked, the person is still alive and normal once more, so the effects seem to the temporary, if mildly concerning! It makes me wonder if the water enables people to see other things we cannot," she said before casting a glance at the Otomo, wondering if that was related to his baku story.

Description

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Akutou, belatedly, reports.

"Well, I was out patrollin'," he says, "an' keepin' an eye out f'r game, as a body do. I's joined by Kai an' Hisomu Goju, an' while we were out, I saw somethin' looked like a tapir. Now, them ain't s'posed t' be here, so I thought it were somethin' screwy, an' then I saw it were hurt, so I was gonna put an end t' it. It if were screwy, gettin' rid o' it'd help. If it weren't, but just hurt, then puttin' it down'd be a kindness.

"So I shot it, an' it complained in words. Still ain't sure it weren't lyin', but it were a surprise, nonetheless."

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:01 pm
Akutou, belatedly, reports.

"Well, I was out patrollin'," he says, "an' keepin' an eye out f'r game, as a body do. I's joined by Kai an' Hisomu Goju, an' while we were out, I saw somethin' looked like a tapir. Now, them ain't s'posed t' be here, so I thought it were somethin' screwy, an' then I saw it were hurt, so I was gonna put an end t' it. It if were screwy, gettin' rid o' it'd help. If it weren't, but just hurt, then puttin' it down'd be a kindness.

"So I shot it, an' it complained in words. Still ain't sure it weren't lyin', but it were a surprise, nonetheless."
Shang gave a few blinks before tilting her head, wanting to keep an open mind about this. "So this baku took the form of a tapir or looked like a tapir. Okay, so then you shot it and spoke to you. What happened next?"

Description

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Saru Shang wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:02 am
Shang gave a few blinks before tilting her head, wanting to keep an open mind about this. "So this baku took the form of a tapir or looked like a tapir. Okay, so then you shot it and spoke to you. What happened next?"
"Honestly, that's about all I recollect," Akutou says, the thread in question not having moved much since that his player has seen. "I put it down t' th' local haziness, m'self. Folks've been seein' all kinds o' things."

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Saru Shang wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:46 am
Snip
"Ah... Good to know they were well, then!", he answers, eyes once again shifting between the river and her as if wondering about something. "The river's source..." he wondered. Satsuki knew about it - he thought she'd have shared it with the other Dragon? Should he?

He'd heard it said a number of times. The kami his tribe ended up under was known as the lord of secrets... but would it make sense to keep secrets now?

"The river flows down from an underground lake, in a cave that has an entrance in the forest, not far from here. The cave is full of rocks, which... as the river tells me, they're the reason the river hurts. Apparently impure... thus my worry."

He soon turns his attention to the matter of the Baku, though. And seems equally surprised and puzzled as Shang.
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:48 am
Snip
"It... spoke? These Kai-nim, Hisomu Goji-nim.. or yourself, Otomo Akutou-nim, you also spirit callers then?"

DescriptionTheme