Bayushi Norikage

[D6, MA] Back on Track Part 2

Post by Bayushi Norikage »

That afternoon, Norikage took some time to practice again. It was a dark, gloomy day, the threat of a storm lingering overhead. Yet, while the storm had yet to come, he still had time.

Rather than the iaijutsu method, today Norikage performed his strikes, one after another. He knew he wasn't the best swordsman, his skills were spread amongst a group of useful talents. Yet Shinsei and so many others had said this was a pivotal moment, and only in a few days. If he could break through and reach a new level of skill, he could at least be somewhat useful.

So he kept at it. And at it. Head, hand, leg, torso, cross cut. Each form in succession over and over. Steam was coming off his back and head in the gloom and single drops of rain that fell intermittently, as if the sky could barely hold the downpour back.
Scorpion Clan • Bushi • Scout • Not Sorry • Great Things Happen
Honor: Let's just not. Status: 1 Glory 3.5
Carries: Swords, fan, mask, pipe, jade. Sometimes: armor, bow, hat, cloak.

Ryoshun Yukara

Re: [D6, MA] Back on Track Part 2

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

They said it was important to face your fears.

Yukara sometimes wondered who 'they' were, who said all these little pearls of wisdom so blithely.

Still, they weren't wrong.

Back at the river, she strolled, looking for a good place to meditate, to practice and regain her comfort with two arms, which had vanished so quickly. It was strange, unsettling. She would be pondering the experience for years to come.

Then she found Norikage, and she stopped, not wishing to interrupt... and wishing very much to interrupt. Thus conflicted, she stayed, standing at a peripheral distance, turning over her thoughts in silence.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Bayushi Norikage

Knowing someone was nearby was easy. Norikage had always been wary of his surroundings. Though he felt a familiar presence. In spite of whatever difficulty might lay ahead in this conversation, he smiled when he turned to face the Ryoshun girl.

Sliding his blade into it's saya, he turned to her and bowed. "Good afternoon, Yukara-san."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yukara flushed a little, but nodded in greeting. "Norikage-san."

She wasn't sure what their relationship was now. He had made choices, and now she was to find out what they were.

"You look rested. I am glad."
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Bayushi Norikage

"It's been a complete change of direction for me, I admit", he said, and he bowed again. "Everything you've done has been of immeasurable help, Yukara-san. Thank you."

When he rose to face her again, his eyes were marked with resolve, it played opposite his usual carefree exterior.

"Would you like to take a walk along the river with me?" he asked.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I... suppose so." Taking her where she'd already be on guard - a powerful move indeed.

Still, she stepped closer, falling in beside him. "It sounds as though you have made up your mind about a number of things. Is there anywhere you would like to begin?"

Bayushi Norikage

He scratched at the bottom of his mask as they walked. "Hmm...I have decided that this is one of the worst situations I've ever had the honor of being in, so little can be trusted or relied upon that I often don't know what to think", he admitted. "Though, there are a few things I've found that I can say with certainty."

He tried to put his words in order. There was no sense in going half assed, but he also had no intention of being cruelty to make it 'easier' on them.

"Things like, enjoying my time with you. Despite how I allowed myself to take what you'd give when I wasn't going to give back the same way." He didn't look at her at first, perhaps he wasn't done.

"So, I'm awful at apologies. I think that much shows, so...I won't do that because, well...I honestly don't regret getting closer to you, Yukara-san. Though I don't think anyone will accept an ambiguous situation, and they shouldn't. All parties deserve much more than that. So I'll say this."

"I could spend my days fulfilling your wishes, making you smile and helping you experience good things, happy things. Yet more than that, if I allow Shiba-hime to walk away from me, it will be perhaps my greatest regret, and I wouldn't want a life where I hold onto that. It would fester and become resentment. I am not that great a person where such a thing is beyond me."

He smiled at her. "Still, this isn't for your own good. Yes, you're younger and inexperienced, but I'm not trying to protect you by saying any of this. I'm doing what I want, and I'm letting you know because you deserve that much. I would be honored if you would still consider me your friend, as I will always think of you that way regardless."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

She soaked that in, remaining quiet. After a while, he heard a wet sniff.

Yukara was crying, silently, snorting back at the runny nose. It was not a 'pretty' cry, but she maintained composure. After a moment, she finally laughed, and smiled, tears still in her eyes, and replied.

"Oh... I knew this was what you would say. I tried to pretend I did not... but I was ready for this."

A wide smile spread across her face, as she added, "Thank you, however, for helping me see myself in a new light. And of course I will be your friend - someone has to keep you in line. You and your princess had best be good to each other. Make it worthwhile, ok?"

Bayushi Norikage

"I don't usually like to say things like this, but...I promise I'll do everything I can", he told her. "I don't want to let either of you down. And...", he bumped her with his shoulder playfully. "I'm happy at how much you've grown in a short time, you've been through a lot but you've kept going. It's a great chance, I don't want you to waste it either."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

She snorted back the tears, and then wiped her eyes. "Yes, I have experienced much, and you have given me good and bad, and I welcome both."

A stiff bow, as he had taught her, and then she also offered her hand. "I will continue to look to the future, as your friend, if you will have it thus, Norikage-san."

Bayushi Norikage

He returned the bow but instead of shaking her hand, he stepped forward and gave her a hug. "I would have it, every time, Yukara-san."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

She seemed surprised, and a bit embarassed, but she did not push him away. She offered a one armed hug, the other pinned by his motion, and for a moment her fingers tapping on his back seemed unusually... sharp... and then the sensation was gone.

Flushing, she pulled away after a moment, and added, "You two had better make it work. I would not step aside for just anyone."

Bayushi Norikage

"Once I would have said I aim to disappoint, but...", he shrugged as she slid away from him. "Because it's you, I'll do my best."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Good."

She beamed. "I still expect you to show me Beiden Pass, for one thing."

Wiping the lingering tears away, she continued, "I have been having a most unexpected week. An arm gone and returned, a demon slain, finding out about flirting and heartache. I could almost use a rest - and will be glad of one free from nightmare, if possible, once I leave this place."

Bayushi Norikage

"Well, as long as they don't assign any idiots to take on the great enemy, it might just happen", he said and gestured for them to keep walking.

(little did he know, they had assigned an idiot 8-) )

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

As she nodded and pulled her hair back from her face, for a moment he could've sworn her fingers ended in pure jade claws.

Then it was gone, and he was not entirely sure what he had seen.

Following him, she inquired, "So you spoke with Shiba-sama, and she has accepted your interest, I hope?"

Bayushi Norikage

He blinked a few times, wondering just what it was he actually saw, but then was distracted by her next question.

"Well...it's not like we haven't worked it out somehow, but I wouldn't say we had that kind of discussion", he grumbled. "It isn't exactly easy even for someone who acts grown up like me." He let their pace carry them a little further down the river.

"But...I think everything will work out. Assuming no one dies."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Yes, assuming as much. Best not to leave things too long - people can come to their own conclusions, when left without answers."

She knew that all too well.

"When this is over, and we return home, do you suppose you will keep being in Beiden Pass, or will you go to do... Imperial things... in the palace?"

It occurred to her that she didn't know what the Imperial Family was actually supposed to do.

Bayushi Norikage

"Assuming we survive and nothing changes...", he thought about it. "Usually younger children are married out to continue to strengthen ties or show favor...so, it's very possible she might join my clan. I doubt my lord will have me doing odd jobs if this all ends well enough so...it seems like she would marry into the scorpion and I'd be given a proper posting."

He shrugged. "But who knows? What do you think you'll do after this? You've hunted your beast, the world will be open to you."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I honestly do not know... I have been pondering that these last few days."

Yukara sighed, and then gazed out, even looking at the river. "I would like to travel - but I think I may be passing on my techniques for the Bat - to help defend their lands against monsters. I hope in time to become better at it, to better save those who can be saved. Perhaps I will be a sensei - or perhaps I will be sent to meet other clans. I do not know yet."