Ryoshun Huan

Re: Where They Wander [D0, LE]

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

He returns the smile and nods, "I am personally a swordsman, but it is not a requirement among the spirit guides of our clan. Not that it's necessarily uncommon either. I've sparred and trained with a master that has commended me on my skill, and had to fight off one attacker on the way here. Happily, he didn't consider stealing my blanket and tent worth fighting to the death. But honestly, I'm very inexperienced with a sword. Hopefully I will not need to put it to the test anymore than I already have. I don't like fighting... my job is to help the dead, not make the dead."

"Also, wisdom and conversation can be very effective in convincing people not to draw swords in the first place. I wouldn't underestimate how useful your skills could be in such situations, given your way with words. Not everyone can or even should be warriors. I feel like the more people know how to fight the more they will choose to rely on violence."
Bat * Soul of Taochusu * Ishiken * Destined to Die * Haunted by the Chusu Tribe
Honor: 3.5 | Status: 1.0 | Glory: 3.0
On person: Robes, daisho, astrological compass, fan

Canary

Post by Canary »

A soft breeze blew through the trees surrounding the graveyard, the fluttering leaves and whistling combining oddly to almost sound like whispering voices.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju inclines her head at the compliment. "Thank you for saying so. Your thoughts on violence mirror my own. It is always..."

Her voice trails odd as the wind picks up. "If you do not mind, it may be time for another song. It seems the spirits of this place are growing restless."
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

"It does sound that way," he replies with a nod. "But I do wonder if we might try speaking with them first to see if I can help them find permanent rest. They're not always... amenable... but they do like to speak of what bothers them more often than not. If found that the ones that speak on the wind tend to be relatively reasonable because they usually just want to be heard."

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"Please make the attempt, then. This is your area of expertise, after all."

Soju steps back to his side, remembers the ghosts that haunt him, and takes a good-sized step sideways, putting a more comfortable amount of distance between them.
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

Canary wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:54 pm
A soft breeze blew through the trees surrounding the graveyard, the fluttering leaves and whistling combining oddly to almost sound like whispering voices.
Huan nods to Soju, allowing her to move to a comfortable distance before closing his eyes and centering his mind. He starts by allowing the universe to permeate his mind first, attempting to sense the location of spirits in the area hoping to see if he can pinpoint any active spirits that might be trying to speak through the wind. If he is capable of identifying any such spirits he turns his focus from sensing his surroundings to reach out to them. He doesn't know if he'll be able to connect, but he gives it an attempt.

"You may speak to me, if you wish. I am willing to listen. Tell me what you wish me to know," he says in a soft but expecting neutral tone.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Ryoshun Huan wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:45 pm
Huan nods to Soju, allowing her to move to a comfortable distance before closing his eyes and centering his mind. He starts by allowing the universe to permeate his mind first, attempting to sense the location of spirits in the area hoping to see if he can pinpoint any active spirits that might be trying to speak through the wind. If he is capable of identifying any such spirits he turns his focus from sensing his surroundings to reach out to them. He doesn't know if he'll be able to connect, but he gives it an attempt.

"You may speak to me, if you wish. I am willing to listen. Tell me what you wish me to know," he says in a soft but expecting neutral tone.
All he hears is whispers as the wind picks up, ones that seem to only reach his ears.

"Failure..."

"Failure..."

"Both of you..."

"Couldn't even die properly..."

"Now you're this..."

Haka Soju wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:30 pm
"Please make the attempt, then. This is your area of expertise, after all."

Soju steps back to his side, remembers the ghosts that haunt him, and takes a good-sized step sideways, putting a more comfortable amount of distance between them.
Meanwhile, Soju only hears one voice, so close to her ear that she could swear she feels the breath.

"Where...?"

"Where is Mai...?"

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju spins around, and backs up cautiously. "Huan... " Her tone was anxious, with the beginnings of fear making itself known.

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

"Sing. These spirits are unfriendly," he says as he steps to his bag and picks it up. He moves closer to her to cover her as he moves closer to the edge of the graveyard, near Soju. "Try to quiet them. They don't seek rest and they can see into our heart. This is abnormal and unusual."

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju nodded and clasped her hands together in front of her. Closing her eyes, she quieted her heart, found the still center within herself, and began to sing a slow, sleepy song.

"Something's wrong when you regret
Things that haven't happened yet.
But it's a glorious day when morning comes
Without that feeling of alarm.

So rise and shine
Now's the time to be alive
To stay awake with me a while
And smile...

You couldn't sleep for the awful fright
That kept you up in bed last night.
While curious shapes shift in the dark
They vanish with the sunlight's spark.

So rise and shine
And smile...

So rise and shine
And smile...

Something's wrong..."

She held the last note, allowing it to fade with her breath. With any luck, it would be enough to quiet the spirits around them.

(Perform: Singing/Awareness = 78)

Canary

Post by Canary »

There's a hiss, and the wind fades until just a mild breeze. There's a distant noise of whispering, but it sounds much more like leaves now.

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

The whispers seemed to agitate Huan's haunting ghosts a bit but they didn't react too strongly. The song from Soju calmed them down again, fascinating them like before.

"Let's step out of the graveyard. This..." Huan's breathing seems elevated, "...this is not normal. I've never met a spirit that can read me like that."

He continues remaining relatively close to Soju with a defensive stance, ready to bring his magic to bear if anything more immediate and threatening happens. Then it hits him. The internal struggle and distrust for those that level their expectations at him growing a bit.

"They really did send me here to die, didn't they," he mutters to himself, shaking his head.

"Your instinct for distrusting the restless dead is probably going to serve you well. I suspect this is probably part of the reason Shinsei-sensei gathered people here. That was very bad."

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

With Huan beside her, the two cautiously make their way out of the graveyard, stopping at its outskirts. "The spirits seemed surprisingly informed," she agrees, her voice a low murmur.

"Thank you for your protection." She takes a deep breath and releases it, pulling the blanket closer around her. "Did you hear the spirits mention my daughter?"

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

Once they got to the outskirts he replied, "You did more protecting than I did, and I appreciate it. But no, they whispered about me and my previous incarnation. Which means that the whispers were targeted, specific and unnaturally informed. Ghosts don't really do that as far as I understand them. This is something else, perhaps some type of spirit that I'm not familiar with. And very disturbing. Perhaps they were speaking to us about something that is upsetting to us personally?" he hypothesizes.

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"They told me that my daughter was coming, which... yes, does seem like far more personal information than a ghost should normally possess. And since we both heard what they wanted us to hear, and not what they whispered to the other, that means they were... I'm not sure. It didn't feel like they were speaking into our heads, but it's strange that we both heard something different."

She makes a warding gesture with one hand. "I think your assessment is accurate. This feels like something new, and something dangerous. Perhaps we should warn the villagers and have them take preparations to ward away ghosts? Salt along the doors and windows, effigies to distract them." There was a sideways glance toward the Bat. "Ghosts are attracted by blood, so it may be wise to create a place on the village outskirts for women who are bleeding."

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

"That's probably actually unsafe, to concentrate them into one area that would likely draw hungry spirits there. It would be like using bait to attract predators. While I don't argue that it might be safer for the village at large, it creates the problem of needing to split resources to protect different folks in different concentrations. And it doesn't do anything to prevent ghosts from being attracted to those that end up bleeding due to accidents or arguments. It's probably better to simply have those that have that issue take stronger precautions, perhaps carry charms or protections with them," he suggests as an alternative.

"But more than that, it's probably important to find a way to educate without frightening or causing unease. The negative emotions like fear and anxiety that people have over a threat like this is probably only going to make them more... desirable targets for whatever is here. Which makes your talents all the more important, keeping people calm, relaxed, happy and distracted. I... actually think it's probably best to have someone nearby to help keep you safe. And it helps that you already have a way to protect yourself too."

He smiles sadly, "But here I am, doing to you what others have done to me. Placing expectations and hopes that you didn't ask for or choose to accept. I would understand if you wanted to avoid whatever is happening here. It's not my place to make demands or give expectations. Sorry for that, take my words with a grain of salt and decide for yourself what you want to do and need for support."

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

Soju waves his apology away. "Think nothing of it. If my assistance can keep people alive, I will do what I can to help. If that means someone protecting me, then so be it, though I am apparently somewhat difficult to kill." There was a mirthless smile at the thought.

"You are right that separating the women would make them into bait. It would give us a place where we knew the ghosts would be likely to strike first... but no, that is likely not something we should do. It would create more panic among the townsfolk, if nothing else. It may be worthwhile to hold a meeting on how the townsfolk can protect themselves from this spirit... even if it is strong enough to ignore some of the wards, others may work, and we loose little by putting such things in effect."

"Or," she adds, glancing his way with her good eye, "we could make them charms and protections and keep the reasons for such things a secret, to keep their panic at a minimum. Disguise them as festival implements, make up some new rituals from the Bat and Scorpion Clans to celebrate the new year, share some 'traditions' meant to make them happy and fertile, without telling them it is protecting them from the spirits."

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

"This is something we should probably speak about in the Imperial camp outside the village. Jumping to conclusions is likely to cause anxiety and panic. I think I will try to see if I can get in touch with anyone important tomorrow. The daughter of Ryoshun is here, I learned earlier, so she may be able to arrange a conversation with important folks. I haven't met her, but she may be aware of me. I'll get a message to her and ask her for assistance.'"

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

"We know that some type of strange spirit is in the area, and that it is not friendly." She glances back toward the graveyard. "We should alert others, I am in agreement. I will learn if there are any other Scorpion attending the festival, and if they are not idiots, then perhaps we can assist. Please let me know what your princess decides upon the matter. We should not take too long, though; ghosts have no need for sleep."

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

"I will let you know. I'll also consult the stars about this too. Sometimes they reveal clues about things we cannot normally see. Any source of information can potentially be helpful. Where are you staying? With someone in the village?"