Togashi Satsuki

Re: Why do answers always beget questions? [D4 ME]

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

"..." That filled Satsuki with some concern and she moved closer as well.

"You're not hurt are you, Nao? What happened?" she asked, looking over her younger cousin with a critical eye for any injuries or anything else out of place.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Makime

Post by Makime »

Makime raised an eyebrow at that, but said nothing. Nao was now very much the center of the daimyo's attention.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"I'm fine." She nodded. "Kumori's spirit was burned a bit, but I believe she's alright."

She took a moment to gather her thoughts, then began to tell the story.

"Like everyone, we had questions we hoped she'd answer. I was particularly curious about the village's history, after learning a few things in the graveyard. Chouri-san was her usual self, helpful but vague. We pressed her for more details. Kumori-sama asked if there was reason to believe that the power behind the shrine would wish us harm. She was clearly conflicted and was literally struggling to answer."

"She nodded, then collapsed."
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:59 pm
If Naraku noticed him blanching he made no visible display, merely nodding at his words.

"That sounds lovely. The Hiruma lands are pretty similar, sprawling hillside dotted with thick forests. Elk, moose and deer sprouting like mushrooms wherever you might go. Big brown bears too, though they are surprisingly skittish as long as they are without cubs," he smiles." I used to go play in one of the forests near Kyuden Hiruma together with my twin. She would actually skip around and try to pet the animals whilst I... picked nettles and poison ivy to teach a lesson to some seniors. "

"Let's just say my foray into poisons started with playful pranks as creating a nettle and poison ivy balm to improve the undergarments of some of my more rowdy seniors," he laughed remembering that this action had obtained him a sly smirk from his father.

A look of understand as he says he hopes the next year is good. He places a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it in reassurance.

"Don't hope, know. The next year will be amazing. How could it not be when Jigoku will be defeated?"
Akutou is about to answer when the others arrive. Recognizing more than one as more than a little bit above him, he stands and touches the brim of his hat. And he listens attentively to Ryoshun Nao.

Th' Princess's hurt? he wonders. But he doesn't say it.

Can't hear s' well if'n your mouth's flappin'.
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"She was unconscious, but her heart was racing." Nao continued. "I thought she might be having a nightmare, which was a very concerning idea. Kumori and I agreed that we should try to help her. I used my ability to bring both of us into her dream."

"We found a younger version of Chouri, sick and bedridden. She was being tended to by who I believe was the Harbinger's human guise. Chouri saw us, but before we could interact with her, the dream froze and the Harbinger appeared in her true form." There was a pause as Nao became tense for a moment. "She confirmed that she had prolonged Chouri's life in exchange for her service. She also confirmed that she would never let her go. She allowed us to ask Chouri what she wanted."

"She said she wanted to live. But, she wanted to help her people more."

"That's when we tried to pull her out of the dream. The Harbinger barred our path with her green flame, but Kumori pushed through anyway. We removed Chouri from her dream, taking her to another briefly, allowing us a moment to talk."

"Chouri told us that she created a method for locking the Harbinger and her 'beloved' away. This would also seal this area away from Ningen-do, allowing the barrier between it and Yume Do to solidify. There's more to it, but that's the general idea. It takes a lot of will, so Chouri was hoping enough people would be free and able to assist."

"I don't know how true all of that is." Nao cautioned. "But, she seemed sincere."
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder

Accompanied By| San

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

"That method is what you three found," Softly, Otaku puts two and two together, gesturing to Satsuki, Norikage, and Akutou.

"So she betrayed human kind and then regretted it too late. But she never knew enough to actually finish her ritual."
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

"S' that scroll in th' cave, ma'am?"

Akutou, having been included, asks to confirm.

"Beg pardon, ma'am, but what all d' we do now?"
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)

Makime

Post by Makime »

"And I assume neither of you took her into custody for her crimes?" Makime's eyes narrowed. "A matter I suppose I will have to see to personally tomorrow."

"I knew she couldn't be trusted. Betraying not merely the Empire, but possibly this entire realm. Oh, we will see to that alright." Her eyes moved to Satsuki, "But not before we are sure the ritual can be completed. Assuming it works as described and is not another trick."
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Togashi Satsuki

"I'll give it more of my attention to make sure no trick has been written into it, Lady Makime..." Satsuki nodded to the daimyo. "... Hopefully Chouri will come peacefully to admit to her wrongdoings. If what you say is true, Nao, then Chouri have put many lives and souls at risk."

Her lips tightened into a firm line. "Those touched by corruption are doomed to it forever, their soul bound to Jigoku. Unable to enter the kharmic wheel - this is the greatest horror it inflicts upon us."
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Otaku wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:17 am
"That method is what you three found," Softly, Otaku puts two and two together, gesturing to Satsuki, Naraku, and Akutou.

"So she betrayed human kind and then regretted it too late. But she never knew enough to actually finish her ritual."
Naraku listened to Nao's retelling. This fitted perfectly with everything they had uncovered.

He did not comment on Chouri merely focusing on the next steps." We have translated the scroll and we known the ritual to perform, as Satsuki-san reported to the daimyos," he mulled over something. "Perhaps the fact that Chouri has spoken to us will enrage the Harbinger. Make it increase it's attempts. Rash decisions make for poor tactics."

"Our chances of success might have improved."

OOC: Corrected what I suppose was name :P
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"Chouri said she would accept the consequences of what she has done." Nao said. "She waits for that now. I came here immediately to ensure that what we learned was shared. "

Accompanied By| San

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Ryoshun Nao wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:58 am
"Chouri said she would accept the consequences of what she has done." Nao said. "She waits for that now. I came here immediately to ensure that what we learned was shared. "
"At least we know who wrote the ritual," he replied. "That changes things going forward."
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

"I'm assuming then that the cave is the site for the ritual? Or do we need to force our way past to the shrine?" Reo has seen naraku and Nao talking, and wanted to make sure he was prepared.
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"Tell me about the scroll and the cave, please." Nao requested. "I've heard them mentioned, but I don't know the details."

Accompanied By| San

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Akutou speaks up, initially reporting the location of the cave in terms his player cannot replicate.

"I blazed trail t' it," he says, and he draws a small mark in the dirt with his foot. "Used this symbol. Noted s'me good spots f'r traps 'long th' way, too. Them have this other mark." Akutou draws another.

"Seems t' be a lode o' dreamstone," he adds. "Hiruma-sama c'n say more 'bout it," and he gestures to Naraku.

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

"The others got a better look at the scroll, but it briefly described what the writer...Chouri I guess was trying as a ritual. There are details in a cipher that we haven't managed to break yet. Maybe Ohta..." Reo shakes his head.

"But in the cave is a deposit of Dreamstone. Its dropped into the lake that feeds the river, which is probably why there are memory problems to those who drink from it. It's effectively a spiritual power base, perfect for a ritual: either to activate what Chouri was doing to do, or to cleanse it. If we want to cleanse it, that's a loooooooooooooot of Jade unless we start pulling out some of the dreamstone to reduce the load.
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

"If Togashi-san and Hiruma-san are able to complete the plan for this ritual," Otaku nods to them, "then it sounds as if this may close the connection to the Nightmare realm in this place. The cave can only be cleansed later, after that is done, from what Kaiu Tai-san said when she spoke to the stones there this morning."

Frowning worriedly, she opens her hands to Satsuki. "What do you need to finish this incomplete plan of Chouri's? Workers? Supplies?" Such supplies as they have, in a village nobody can leave... "Can we trust that the Harbinger is really ignorant of it? If she's really left Chouri, she could be anywhere, possessing anyone. Or return and force Chouri to reveal all to her."
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

"I've been wondering how Chouri could develop a ritual to seal the Harbinger away, while under it's influence. Simply nodding to us required willful effort and had immediate consequences." she said. "Some of what she did may have been hidden within preparations for the Harbinger's ritual, but she'd need someplace secluded for the rest."

Accompanied By| San

Makime

Post by Makime »

"And can we be sure the ritual is safe?" Makime rubbed the back of her neck, "Even if the traitor has turned on her former masters, how can we be sure she was lucid and free of influence while devising it. Jigoku is nothing if not devious correct? Would the possibility exist that it influenced her thinking and research in a subtle manner once it suspected its puppet was beginning to have doubts?"

Togashi Satsuki

"It's good she'll submit to authorities then, but at the moment we do have bigger concerns," she placed a reassuring hand on Nao's shoulder and pulled her cousin close into a hug. "I'd ask you to stop getting so close to danger, but that is kind of moot considering where we are."

Satsuki calmly breathed and looked to the others. "If what Nao say is right, that it took so much effort for her, I'd be wary of letting Chouri have anything to do with or know about the ritual we are working on. Again, I will do all I can to make sure there is no room for corruption within ours," she said to Makime.
Otaku wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:54 pm
Frowning worriedly, she opens her hands to Satsuki. "What do you need to finish this incomplete plan of Chouri's? Workers? Supplies?" Such supplies as they have, in a village nobody can leave... "Can we trust that the Harbinger is really ignorant of it? If she's really left Chouri, she could be anywhere, possessing anyone. Or return and force Chouri to reveal all to her."
"... Supplies to make scrolls worthy of telling legends. Ink, fabric, wood, paper or parchment. I'll get a list together and have it ready tomorrow morning, Lady Otaku. Lady Makime has taught me the value of thinking things through to make preparations."
Theme | Profile