Saru Ranmaru

Re: Shinsei's Briefing [Event, D1 MM]

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:33 am
A drift of herbal steam rising from the cup gives some clue as to its humble contents. Otaku notices the young man looking and says, quietly, “Ginger.” She makes as if to hand him the cup.

It’s a warming drink, and it’s a cold morning to be out without a shirt, after all.
Well, if she was offering, then he was certainly going to accept. Women so often made good tea! And if they didn't, then they weren't very good at being women, now were they?!
Glistening Muscles | Ascendant Swordsman | Yearns for Paradise

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:34 am
Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:33 am
A drift of herbal steam rising from the cup gives some clue as to its humble contents. Otaku notices the young man looking and says, quietly, “Ginger.” She makes as if to hand him the cup.

It’s a warming drink, and it’s a cold morning to be out without a shirt, after all.
Well, if she was offering, then he was certainly going to accept. Women so often made good tea! And if they didn't, then they weren't very good at being women, now were they?!
It's an infusion of dried ginger root. It's... fine. Probably a bit spicy.

"Otaku," she offers her name in a quiet voice after he takes the cup. It doesn't seem like Shinsei has anything to say immediately, so might as well be courteous to a stranger. "Of Shinjo's clan."

He might have heard the name before, or not. His mountains are quite a long way from Shinjo's plains.
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:52 am
It's an infusion of dried ginger root. It's... fine. Probably a bit spicy.

"Otaku," she offers her name in a quiet voice after he takes the cup. It doesn't seem like Shinsei has anything to say immediately, so might as well be courteous to a stranger. "Of Shinjo's clan."

He might have heard the name before, or not. His mountains are quite a long way from Shinjo's plains.
Well, Ranmaru definitely made a disappointed face before handing it back. "Ranmaru. Of Togashi's clan?" He didn't really know why she was saying it that way.

Well, since she was so short and unassuming, he definitely didn't think much on the significance of her name. Instead, he kept looking at Shinsei and wondering if he could actually start a conversation with this woman or if they'd soon need to stop.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Saru Shang wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:17 am
"And you as well, Satsuki-sama," she paused a moment to consider the honorific, something she had to remember her schooling on. It still felt a bit strange to be told that she was one of the first but that also meant she didn't exactly have anyone to compare to or copy their homework. "...-dono, is it? I suppose, that might be presumptuous but also eventual. Let's say -sama is fine with you, your preference is most certainly fine with me, of course."

She fluttered her fan in thought, not that she needed it when it was plenty cool around them at the moment. "I'm not going to deny that the mists here don't have an ominous effect that's to be awed here, a combination of mystery and serenity combined. At the same time, I have to say that such imagery is...a bit expected among the Dragon, don't you agree? At least, among the peers of my generation. No doubt that one foggy scenery isn't the same as another but one of the reasons I've been travelling is to seek out something new, so I could share with others or return home and enrich the experience of others. It feels a bit like a blank canvas at the moment."

Shang sighed softly and shook her head. "Well, that's not quite right. It might be quite the opposite of one. I might feel more at ease knowing what is beyond the fog first and how it complements the scenery."

"Mm, I have heard..." she said with a momentary lift of her brows before she glanced at the monk once more. So, that was Shinsei himself? It was rather ignorant of her to be mistaken for a performance monk. It seemed a bit strange to be before a living legend himself as she assumed that legends were twice as tall as any humans, at least the stories would make them sound. "A storm crow, of sorts."
"-san is fine too, or just Satsuki. I'm not usually too picky with my fellow kin, as we are like a family, yes?" she offered kindly, not wanting to have that distance between those who were fellow Dragon. Some insisted on calling her by formal titles and it always felt a little awkward. "I'll try to find out more about the fog then, and I'll tell you if I discover anything of importance? In case it is helpful for your art."

Satsuki had seen many different Saru artisans present their crafts and performances, and it was always a joy to behold that reinvigorated the soul. The mention of Storm Crow did make her chuckle. "I have heard that nickname a couple of times, yeah. Storm Crow. Make you feel like a storm is following in his wake, wherever he goes. Thunder, rolling clouds, maybe some lightning?"
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:57 am
Well, Ranmaru definitely made a disappointed face before handing it back. "Ranmaru. Of Togashi's clan?" He didn't really know why she was saying it that way.

Well, since she was so short and unassuming, he definitely didn't think much on the significance of her name. Instead, he kept looking at Shinsei and wondering if he could actually start a conversation with this woman or if they'd soon need to stop.
Otaku doesn't seem to mind much whether he likes her ginger tea or not. She nods, takes the cup back, turns it, and drinks some more herself. Her thoughts are running along much the same lines, only half her attention on Ranmaru and half on what might happen next if this meeting actually comes to order any time soon.

"You're a swordsman," she offers after a bit, because it's an easy topic enough--and she'd noticed his callouses when he handed back the cup.
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Ukyou

Post by Ukyou »

Yuzuru Hoto-Hori wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:55 am
Ukyou wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:42 pm
snip
Makime wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:06 am
"I've never heard him called that before." Came a voice slicing into the conversation. Makime gave the two a nod as she deft entered the conversation with all the subtlety of lion's roar.

She managed a smile even, or what technically would be called a smile but there was no mirth, joy, or friendlessness in it. "I do agree with sentiment, of course."

The Lioness studied the two for a moment before adding, "My apologies, I am Makime, servant of Akodo, who is Lord of Lion Clan." She didn't sound particularly apologetic.
Well the, now they would have to behave. The pipe stopped twirling in his hand and he managed to not growl.

"Hoto-Hori of the Yuzuru."

The thieving corvid could introduce itself.

"Once a donkey, always a fucking donkey."

Apparently he didn't count cursing as not behaving.
Ukyou smiled brightly. "I am Ukyou, a monk and sometime companion of Shinsei. A pleasure to meet you, Makime-sama." He looked to Hoto-Hori. "Oh, and don't mind his donkey talk. It's probably just sour grapes." He smiled blithely.
Monk • Mischievous • Likes Birds

Played by GM Canary

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:14 am
Otaku doesn't seem to mind much whether he likes her ginger tea or not. She nods, takes the cup back, turns it, and drinks some more herself. Her thoughts are running along much the same lines, only half her attention on Ranmaru and half on what might happen next if this meeting actually comes to order any time soon.

"You're a swordsman," she offers after a bit, because it's an easy topic enough--and she'd noticed his callouses when he handed back the cup.
Well, there was nothing else to do but have small bits of conversation with this short woman. "Yes. One of the best," Ranmaru said, fully believing it. He could handle two swords very well. "What do you do?"

Makime

Post by Makime »

Ukyou wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:22 am
Yuzuru Hoto-Hori wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:55 am
snip
Ukyou smiled brightly. "I am Ukyou, a monk and sometime companion of Shinsei. A pleasure to meet you, Makime-sama." He looked to Hoto-Hori. "Oh, and don't mind his donkey talk. It's probably just sour grapes." He smiled blithely.
"With Shinsei, I sometimes wonder if it is not the vine that is sour." Makime replied, "A follower of his you say? Your Stormcrow roosts disturbingly close to my home. I hope whatever he is preceding does not swallow it up."

Her eyes turn to the as of yet silent prophet then to the crowd, "Most of these people have been summoned by him no?"
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Finally the turning of events had led Sugri to this Shinsei now to see what it was about him that seemed to tie him to such strange and portentous occasions as the stories said.

Sugri keeps to the back of the crowd but makes sure he will be within sight and earshot if the monk began to speak.

(PM or quote if approaching)
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Matsu

Post by Matsu »

Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:28 pm
"Alright, as you wish... Matsu," the younger Crab said with a friendly smile at the Spider's insistence at dropping honorifics. "Then you must call me Ayako."

"I only know how to hack things and pray," Ayako confessed. "I'm hoping Shinsei will have some better ideas for what we can do about this problem."
"Praying can be very powerful in times like these. Never doubt the power of faith, Ayako." The Amazonian woman turned to more fully face the Crab, sizing her up, and the way that her armor fit her. Matsu, for her part, was dressed simply in her turquoise and black kimono. The gold inlay of the spiderweb patterning was subtle, yet the hint of glory that was in the Spider clan patterning. Yet at her waist were her daisho, showing she was always ready for a fight.

"It is strong as this armor and can bolster even this." A finger gently touched one of the lacquered plates on the shoulder, tilting her head slightly. "Praying is part of how we rescued Hisomu-no-kami. Never doubt the power of that."
Spider Clan | Bushi | Daimyo | Great Destiny | Amazonian | Bishamon smiles | Paragon of Courage | Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 7.0 | Status: 7.0
Carries: Daisho, Shakuhachi, Sturdy Clothing, Straw Hat, Fur Cloak
Danger: Bisento, Light Armor
Demonfucker Count: 7

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 pm
snip
"What? Didn't you come here to talk to him? We might as well do it now if he's not busy.

Or is this an etiquette thing? Are we suppose to show the back of our neck to the sun three times before any interaction with a holy man? All these rules are confusing."
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Reiko Ohta wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:12 am
Tag
"Th' O-Iemoto refined his methods from th' days afore th' Kami an' taught 'em t' others, includin' yours truly. Th' Lord Hantei seems t' find th' lot o' us useful, 'specially f'r keepin' tabs on th' less settled parts.

"Scoutin's a need, too."

Akutou adjusts his hat slightly.

"How all're you trained, ma'am?"
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:41 am
snip
Naraku groaned at her words. "It's not about etiquette, the man is clearly meditating, I just..." he sighs. "I don't know what to say to Shinsei."
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Hisomu Reo

Post by Hisomu Reo »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:31 pm

"Take it from one who has to sift a lot of what the Libraries are taking in, the distinction between what actually happened and the stories that are told is pretty immense. Drives poor Kinyoubi batty..."
Nozomi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:42 pm
She sighed and nodded. "I ... recall. With a good story,
"I know academically that it was the case but, my, it is different to see people in my lifetime get the same treatment. I shudder to think of what they'll say of me."
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan| Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer | Experienced 1
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:02 am
snip
"I mean, you do know why you came here in the first place right?

Or maybe you don't? Is that your story? You were asked, or advised, or ordered, or tricked into coming here, and now you realize you never knew the reason behind that move.

That seems to be weirdly common pattern around here in all cases."
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:29 am
snip
Her words ringed true, no matter how he didn't like the sound of them; he didn't know why he had that gut feeling and why he had changed his course to visit this village. "Why do you say tricked?" he commented in a low growl, eyeing the person with mistrust.
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:59 am
"-san is fine too, or just Satsuki. I'm not usually too picky with my fellow kin, as we are like a family, yes?" she offered kindly, not wanting to have that distance between those who were fellow Dragon. Some insisted on calling her by formal titles and it always felt a little awkward. "I'll try to find out more about the fog then, and I'll tell you if I discover anything of importance? In case it is helpful for your art."

Satsuki had seen many different Saru artisans present their crafts and performances, and it was always a joy to behold that reinvigorated the soul. The mention of Storm Crow did make her chuckle. "I have heard that nickname a couple of times, yeah. Storm Crow. Make you feel like a storm is following in his wake, wherever he goes. Thunder, rolling clouds, maybe some lightning?"
"Ah, Satsuki, then," she said with an earnest smile on that proposal being extended to her. It would make sense that they weren't so stiff with the formalities in this budding Empire when her parents barely even knew what a Kami was and were roaming the lands even before the first folded blade was even forged! "That would be most helpful. Well, it's all situational context anyway. What we see and feel before us is all already very tangible already, that goes when it comes to my pieces. I suppose not every village audience can appreciate that just yet. At the end of the day, some people would like to know what the heck they're even looking at.

Shang let out an audible gasp, admittedly cranking the drama a little higher than necessary. "Oh dear, if I had known there was going to be a storm, I would have considered spending my coins on a more sturdy tent and maybe even barter to get a horse of my own. This Shinsei is very inspiring, I've been told, enough to move the Kami into action...I suspect is more than enough to stop others from thinking about chasing him out on sight, of course. Village and commune pariahs with bad omens surrounding them suffer less kind fates...but this storm must be worth weathering, yes?" She looked to Satsuki for her opinion, surely she was more personally acquainted with the living legend.
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:47 pm
snip
"That's one of the oldest stories. Two characters, the trickster and the brute. The brute has the strength required to accomplish some task but won't. Then the trickster tricks them into doing it anyway.

You may have heard of them as the Monkey and the Tiger, the Fox and the Wolf, the Spider and the Tiger... Tiger is quite often the butt of the joke actually.

But, while a lot of these stories are one sided, some are more subtle. The trickster is a powerful force, and can sometimes use its ability for good, by allowing the brute to do something they genuinely didn't think they could do. To be tricked is never fun, but sometimes it's for the better good.

I wouldn't be surprised if your Shinsei was a form of trickster. For a start, he's small. That's a classic among tricksters."

Yoshitsune Ayako

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

Matsu wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:53 am
"Praying can be very powerful in times like these. Never doubt the power of faith, Ayako." The Amazonian woman turned to more fully face the Crab, sizing her up, and the way that her armor fit her. Matsu, for her part, was dressed simply in her turquoise and black kimono. The gold inlay of the spiderweb patterning was subtle, yet the hint of glory that was in the Spider clan patterning. Yet at her waist were her daisho, showing she was always ready for a fight.

"It is strong as this armor and can bolster even this." A finger gently touched one of the lacquered plates on the shoulder, tilting her head slightly. "Praying is part of how we rescued Hisomu-no-kami. Never doubt the power of that."
Ayako nodded. "I hope that it may be so," she said. "Perhaps the power of prayer will prove effective against the madness. I'm sure Shinsei will have something to say about that, too."

"Though, I've heard that there's some kind of shrine to the Fortunes in this village," she mused. "Maybe I'll pay it a visit after this!"
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa

Yuzuru Hoto-Hori

Post by Yuzuru Hoto-Hori »

Ukyou wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:22 am
Makime wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:21 am
"With Shinsei, I sometimes wonder if it is not the vine that is sour." Makime replied, "A follower of his you say? Your Stormcrow roosts disturbingly close to my home. I hope whatever he is preceding does not swallow it up."

Her eyes turn to the as of yet silent prophet then to the crowd, "Most of these people have been summoned by him no?"
He just about managed to not stick his tongue out at Ukyou over the sour grapes comment.

"Weird shit always follow that donkey around. We'll be swimming in it within the fiveday, I fucking tell you."

Well there was a lovely mental image.
Imperial Envoy * Spiritual Defense Force * Chikushudo * Sakkaku

Status: 4.0 * Glory: 1.0 * Honour: Questionable . . . I claim the 5th . . . ok Untrustworthy

NPC run by a :fox: Please PM this account for interactions and not the GMs.