Shinsei

Re: Shinsei's Briefing [Event, D1 MM]

Post by Shinsei »

He rose and looked out on the crowd. "It has been... a long five years since the Harbinger appeared in Emperor Shiba's court and said that we would embrace it or be twisted into monsters. A... very long five years." He let out a breath, silent for a moment before continuing.

"Some of you are here because I asked. Some of you are here because you followed the pull of destiny. Others may not realize they were called, but ended up here regardless. It tends to be more subtle, usually," he half-smiles to himself, a little amused, then turns serious again. "But this is the most dire of circumstances. The conclusion to the Harbinger's promise. This is where humanity will stand its ground against Jigoku. If we succeed, we will drive it back to its own territory, defeated for another on thousand years, as other mortal races have done before us. If we fail... then the last five years will seem like a cool breeze as the dream-twisted Realm of Evil takes hold of Ningen-do."

He closes his eyes and sighed, shaking his head. "Every indication puts our final stand here, and our timeline short from here - only a few days. During that time, nine will be revealed to be the Champions of Ningen-do. The Nine Thunders. One from each Clan."

"Th... Jigoku will also have its own champion. We have no yet seen the half of what it's capable of. Given it's obsession with humans, it will... it..." He ran a hand over his head under his hood. "It... may express that... somehow... in its champion."

"I wish I could tell you more. I know the where and when. I know many of you have the potential to be the Champions of Ningen-do. I know that it is not a fate I would wish on someone. As much as they will be heroes... it is a battle that there is little chance of coming back from. And it is one that will not only be physical. Yume-Jigoku preys on the minds of mortals, as you've seen. Those here will now be its targets of focus. Prepare yourselves."
Monk | Ascetic | Enlightened

Honor: 8.0, Status: 1.0, Glory: 5.0

Run by GM Bakuriel

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

So there it is… in the open. Fuckin’ nine clans.

Han-Hei let out an exasperated breath through her nostrils.

He didn’t wise up on the way here…
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Ai smiled, she prepared her whole life for this.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:44 pm
snip
The small man's utter exhaustion made Kai gnash her teeth.

"Seems like the sleepless has awakened. The story can begin. Can't say I like the sound of my own opening line.

It is strong story however. You don't defeat a dream with an army. You defeat it with legend. Nine heroes a bit much. My bet would have been on four guardians, like in the time of old. But I guess that's the magic number of this new world."
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yukara simply listened.

Then she nodded. "If this will stop the madness, I will take that risk."

It was said quietly enough, more for her own sake than any others.

So this was to be the place of deciding - if her actions were justified, or if she were but another monster in a world descending into monstrousness.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

That wasn't what she was expecting of this tale, but it made sense. Nao now knew she had some part to play here. Not one of Shinsei's champions, probably. But, perhaps as one of their defenders
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Nine Clans, well, that's me out then."

Sora grinned.

"So what the hell am I doing here?"
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

So, go mad or die? She would rather die than shame herself in that way, so it was hardly a choice. That just meant she would need to step up all the more in her investigations.
Shinsei wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:39 pm
snip
Ohta raised a hand, then spoke loudly and clearly, "And... how do we prepare, Teacher?"
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Anjing grimaces. 9 Champions, decent odds people she knew, maybe family, maybe her. Decent odds a lot of them wouldn't be coming back.

And them dying to save the world was the good option.
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Yuzuru Hoto-Hori

Post by Yuzuru Hoto-Hori »

Hoto-Hori stared silently. Arms crossed across his chest, strange smoking pipe still in one had.

Not a word. Perhaps he had used up all his fucks.
Imperial Envoy * Spiritual Defense Force * Chikushudo * Sakkaku

Status: 4.0 * Glory: 1.0 * Honour: Questionable . . . I claim the 5th . . . ok Untrustworthy

NPC run by a :fox: Please PM this account for interactions and not the GMs.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:45 pm
Snip
Anger that turns into regret and that ends in sadness, a swirl of emotions wash over Naraku as the little teacher says his words. I am no hero Kanna. You should have been here and I should have died. You were the star that shone bright and I... I am just a failure. If anyone was worthy to represent Ningen-Do it was you.

"I am no hero Kai," he sighed. "But even if I am not one of them I will not take this laying down, waiting to be done. Even if my death has no more meaning than nicking the personification of the enemy... Even if my death is so small that it but staggers him for the briefest of moments."

" I will do it. I will sacrifice it. Perhaps I can help in some way. Even if I was not meant to be the hero."

He looks at they "I know we just met but... I really do care about humanity. I would do anything to protect them."
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:45 pm
"Seems like the sleepless has awakened. The story can begin. Can't say I like the sound of my own opening line.

It is strong story however. You don't defeat a dream with an army. You defeat it with legend. Nine heroes a bit much. My bet would have been on four guardians, like in the time of old. But I guess that's the magic number of this new world."
Shinsei seems a little amused by this, smiling. "Sadly, in the language we speak now, four would be quite unlucky."
Reiko Ohta wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:19 pm
Ohta raised a hand, then spoke loudly and clearly, "And... how do we prepare, Teacher?"
"Fortify your minds and souls, Reiko-san. Build connections with one another, solidify your resolve. Let honor guide you," he said. "Yume-Jigoku's greatest wish will likely be to turn the destiny of a Champion of Ningen-do to that of one of its own powerful lieutenants."
Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:17 pm
"Nine Clans, well, that's me out then."

Sora grinned.

"So what the hell am I doing here?"
Shinsei chuckled. "It's been a while, Sora-san. You're acting out the role of the Imperial Families - protecting people, organizing, and keeping things together. You know... the usual thankless tasks." He grinned a little before turning back to the group.

"Everyone has a role to play here. Protect and support your fellows. Yume-Jigoku feeds on grudges, enmity, paranoia, resentment, anxiety. don't let them take root in you. Cast them out if you already have. Your survival, and the survival of your people, depends on it."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Fortify one's resolve...

Well, that did seem important. Not easy, but important. She had no idea how to do that precisely beyond years of training, but the Teacher had said to build connections. Perhaps that was why the festivities later had not been called off despite the situation? She would want to go to those then, rather than focus everything on the situation at hand.

Maybe loosen up a little.
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:16 am
Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:14 am
Otaku doesn't seem to mind much whether he likes her ginger tea or not. She nods, takes the cup back, turns it, and drinks some more herself. Her thoughts are running along much the same lines, only half her attention on Ranmaru and half on what might happen next if this meeting actually comes to order any time soon.

"You're a swordsman," she offers after a bit, because it's an easy topic enough--and she'd noticed his callouses when he handed back the cup.
Well, there was nothing else to do but have small bits of conversation with this short woman. "Yes. One of the best," Ranmaru said, fully believing it. He could handle two swords very well. "What do you do?"
"Anything Shinjo asks of me," Otaku replies with quiet confidence. "I count myself a warrior. And other things."

Then Shinsei finally says his piece, so she goes quiet again--a natural state for her in any case. "Hmm." So be it.

On some level, she realizes she'd expected the answer to the mysterious call to be something like this. It would be a small price, if it succeeds.
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Hisomu Tadaka

Post by Hisomu Tadaka »

Shinsei wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:39 pm
He rose and looked out on the crowd. "It has been... a long five years since the Harbinger appeared in Emperor Shiba's court and said that we would embrace it or be twisted into monsters. A... very long five years." He let out a breath, silent for a moment before continuing.

"Some of you are here because I asked. Some of you are here because you followed the pull of destiny. Others may not realize they were called, but ended up here regardless. It tends to be more subtle, usually," he half-smiles to himself, a little amused, then turns serious again. "But this is the most dire of circumstances. The conclusion to the Harbinger's promise. This is where humanity will stand its ground against Jigoku. If we succeed, we will drive it back to its own territory, defeated for another on thousand years, as other mortal races have done before us. If we fail... then the last five years will seem like a cool breeze as the dream-twisted Realm of Evil takes hold of Ningen-do."

He closes his eyes and sighed, shaking his head. "Every indication puts our final stand here, and our timeline short from here - only a few days. During that time, nine will be revealed to be the Champions of Ningen-do. The Nine Thunders. One from each Clan."

"Th... Jigoku will also have its own champion. We have no yet seen the half of what it's capable of. Given it's obsession with humans, it will... it..." He ran a hand over his head under his hood. "It... may express that... somehow... in its champion."

"I wish I could tell you more. I know the where and when. I know many of you have the potential to be the Champions of Ningen-do. I know that it is not a fate I would wish on someone. As much as they will be heroes... it is a battle that there is little chance of coming back from. And it is one that will not only be physical. Yume-Jigoku preys on the minds of mortals, as you've seen. Those here will now be its targets of focus. Prepare yourselves."
Well, Matsu is the obvious choice for Spider. The problem was Genji. He was likely a choice for the Stag. Could Goju somehow prevent him from becoming a Thunder? Does he have the right? Not that he cares as long Genji dies an old man.

Goju didn't concern himself. Whatever destiny he had was taken from him years ago.
Shinsei wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:17 pm
"Everyone has a role to play here. Protect and support your fellows. Yume-Jigoku feeds on grudges, enmity, paranoia, resentment, anxiety. don't let them take root in you. Cast them out if you already have. Your survival, and the survival of your people, depends on it."
Well, Goju was lucky. Deep sorrow and loss were not on that list. He'd be fine. He just had to worry about protecting others.
Spider Clan Bushi * Ninja * Seeker of the Sea * Naval * Destined for Greatness * Captain of The Jolly Jellyfish * Formerly Hisomu Goju * Name Restored
Honor: Untrustworthy/Status: 3.0/Glory: 3.0
Items: Bronze Sword, Jade, Light Armor

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei »

Shinsei closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and adds, "I will be around if you need to speak... but please, seek out Nozomi and Ukyou. I..." He paused, seeming conflicted for a moment before finally saying, "I will be doing my part to give you the best fighting chance I can."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Otaku wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:22 pm
"Anything Shinjo asks of me," Otaku replies with quiet confidence. "I count myself a warrior. And other things."

Then Shinsei finally says his piece, so she goes quiet again--a natural state for her in any case. "Hmm." So be it.

On some level, she realizes she'd expected the answer to the mysterious call to be something like this. It would be a small price, if it succeeds.
"You? A warrior?" Ranmaru held his hand up to where her head reached. A bit after, he elevated it up to his own. "Well, I suppose a horse can make up for that difference." It wasn't like he would begrudge anyone, regardless of gender, for using any advantage they could get.

After Shinsei's explanation, Ranmaru had a sickening realization. This small woman, along with all the other small women, were probably misled by destiny to come here!
Glistening Muscles | Ascendant Swordsman | Yearns for Paradise

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Ai nodded, but she had no questions. She knew what she signed up for.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Shinsei wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:30 pm
Shinsei closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and adds, "I will be around if you need to speak... but please, seek out Nozomi and Ukyou. I..." He paused, seeming conflicted for a moment before finally saying, "I will be doing my part to give you the best fighting chance I can."
Having been thinking for a moment, Ohta decided to make her way over. She spoke softly, hands folded together in front of her, "You offer to help us, but you seem uneased and ill. Are you sure there is nothing I or my colleagues can do for YOU, Teacher? Some herbs, some tea? Perhaps something as simple as a brief chance to rest?"

Makime Omoi

Post by Makime Omoi »

Shinsei wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:17 pm
Snip
"How are you feeling today great prophet, you sound unwell." Omoi asked looking up at the man. "I and I am sure others have many questions but I do not want to impede your rest."
Lion Clan • Courtier • Historian • Great Destiny • Going Blind • Warrior at Heart • Widower • Father

Carries: Wakizashi, smoking pipe, cup, plain sandalwood chopsticks, coin purse, an old but well cared for scroll satchel decorated with tribal art
Character Profile: Here
Fiction: Home Repairs