Shinsei

Shinsei's Briefing [Event, D1 MM]

Post by Shinsei »

There was a resounding thump as a stone was dropped to the ground unceremoniously in the middle of the camp where most of the newcomers to the village were staying. Until now, it had been carried over hill and dale by the short man who had set it down. The fatigue written in this movements gave the impression that it might be the stone's final resting place... not that that was likely with Shinsei moving around as much as he did.

The monk settled down on it, taking a meditative pose.
Monk | Ascetic | Enlightened

Honor: 8.0, Status: 1.0, Glory: 5.0

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Re: Shinsei's Briefing [Event, D1 MM]

Post by Jiyo Sora »

There he was, the jerk.

Sora ambled over in his third-worst kimono and, without word or preamble, simply squatted back on his haunches to await whatever the hell it was they were lined up for.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:53 am
There he was, the jerk.

Sora ambled over in his third-worst kimono and, without word or preamble, simply squatted back on his haunches to await whatever the hell it was they were lined up for.
There he was, the jerk. And also Shinsei.

From across the way Anjing gives first Sora and then Shinsei a look. She certainly hadn't been expecting the monk to turn up stoned.

Still, she had to admit a grudging respect for anyone stubborn enough to haul a rock of that size around the empire. So she waits and she watches to see what the man had to say.
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Anjing wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:57 am
tag
Ah, I see Shinsei has orchestrated a true gathering of intellectuals. Between Anjing and myself we might have wits enough to put on one sandal out of a pair.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Naraku wandered towards the imperial camp, curiosity egging him on. He paced cautiously, eyeing those that had already to gather; big cats, both of them, he thought for himself as he shuffled towards the lines and observed what Shinsei was going to do.

Was Shinsei the cause for the gut feeling he had? Was the monk responsible for making sure he arrived at this village?
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:03 am
big cats, both of them
"Definitely not an actual big cat" Kai, who was quietly sitting cross-legged with the patience of a predator waiting for things to begin, wrinkled her nose:

"You should take care disciple of the Blue Crab of the North. You appear to have been in contact with toxic plants."
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Makime Omoi

Post by Makime Omoi »

Omoi and his daughter hurriedly took seats on the ground near the little master. The little girl looked at the wizened man with wonder as Omoi laid out the things he would need to record everything that would happen.
Lion Clan • Courtier • Historian • Great Destiny • Going Blind • Warrior at Heart • Widower • Father

Carries: Wakizashi, smoking pipe, cup, plain sandalwood chopsticks, coin purse, an old but well cared for scroll satchel decorated with tribal art
Character Profile: Here
Fiction: Home Repairs

Ainuri

Post by Ainuri »

Why do the portents of the morning
Have brought me to the place of commotion?
Too many people in one place
Make all other life to move out of the way
And crouch in shadows
Whether out of fear, or for hunting

That man over there
Is why people gather
He is small but he casts a long shadow
As if it was spring in the north
I don't feel malice, but I do feel intent
Behind his unspoken beckon

For now, I shall remain
To witness all of this
For knowing without seeing
Is for bats
Outlander * Bear Power * Potent Spirit * Naturist * They

bear claw (bisento), nanook hide

narrates in tribal epic; read all 'l's like 'r's and no consonant is left unpronounced

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Ainuri wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:27 am
Something new has been added!
Sora assessed the oddly-dressed new arrival with some interest.

Last white bear I saw was at that court five years back. Rare here, maybe not so rare where this one comes from...

Carries:

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:24 am
"Definitely not an actual big cat" Kai, who was quietly sitting cross-legged with the patience of a predator waiting for things to begin, wrinkled her nose:

"You should take care disciple of the Blue Crab of the North. You appear to have been in contact with toxic plants."
Naraku eyed the strange person that approached him. "Poisonous animals too," he replied as he eyed her with curiosity. How did she know that? Did she perhaps know him?
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:32 am
Naraku eyed the strange person that approached him. "Poisonous animals too," he replied as he eyed her with curiosity. How did she know that? Did she perhaps know him?
"Animals do not discharge toxin unless they feel like they have to. No risk as long as you're respectful. And if not respectful, don't deserve not to be poisoned. Plants not as clever, thus more dangerous to stand near."

She sniffed:

"Should take care as humans, unlike mongooses, do not handle poison very well. And that's a lot of toxic smells."
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:51 am
Snip
"Well sometimes you need the animals to discharge their poison. I'll let you know that I am extremely careful with poison, even with those from plants," he lifted his arms, showing how they were all covered by black bandages, from the shoulder to the tip of his fingers.

He studied the strange being in front of him. "Why do you know so much about poisons?"

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Hiruma Naraku wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:01 am
"Well sometimes you need the animals to discharge their poison. I'll let you know that I am extremely careful with poison, even with those from plants," he lifted his arms, showing how they were all covered by black bandages, from the shoulder to the tip of his fingers.

He studied the strange being in front of him. "Why do you know so much about poisons?"
Kai grimaced hard as he agitated his arms:

"Are you one of these humans with an obsessive habit of collecting a lot of similar things? You smell like you have assembled a bit of poison from every bad thing I know, and a lot I don't know. That seems even unhealthier than most unhealthy human things.

Maybe your own sense of smell is defective? Good poison wants to make itself known. Poisonous plants and animals don't want you to get poisoned, they want you to let them alone, so they advertise their poison with much fragrance and color. There are a few vicious toxins from vicious things that are trying to trick you but, for the most part, poison is like a rotten fruit: You don't need to know from what tree it has fallen from to know you shouldn't eat something smelling that bad."

Kai

Post by Kai »

The random performer stood next to a tree as he watched the small 'prophet' move a rock and take a seat. So this is the man. He doesn't look so special to me. Kai thought.
*Flutist *Archer *Silent
Fatigue 0

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Anjing wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:57 am
There he was, the jerk. And also Shinsei.

From across the way Anjing gives first Sora and then Shinsei a look. She certainly hadn't been expecting the monk to turn up stoned.

Still, she had to admit a grudging respect for anyone stubborn enough to haul a rock of that size around the empire. So she waits and she watches to see what the man had to say.
Armor was polished and neat, hair was tended to, clean and healthy; Ai arrived with the dignity of the Crane and the grace of her family. She was a model soldier, bushi, well she believed she was, maybe that was enough. Thousands upon thousands of hours of training, listening to the many tales of her father about the role of the Thunder, and even the many months engaged in the purge had all come to this.

A man on a rock.

He seemed so ordinary, but he had been part of extraordinary events, then again Jiyo Sora seemed so human despite the tales… she had grown up in the shadows of literal heroes and legends, and now would she leave her mark? Or was she simply here to observe and be counted among the masses that saw a great thing happen.

She took a place near to Anjing, she was family, among other things, it was better than standing aloof like a lone wolf. She gave clear greetings as she took her place among the growing throng of onlookers, “Pleasant morning, Anjing-obasan, it’s wonderful to see you again. I pray daily that my cousins have fared well in their travels, and certainly you have traveled further than most.”
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Oh man, oh boy

Wu Zhe was had been preparing himself to go down fishing when he had heard the gossip in the village. So there he was: The Shinsei. The Wu knew about him and one of his shame, of course, but that was in the past.

Now the little teacher had come, likely for an important reason
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

Was this is how the story would begin?

Nao looked around at everyone gathered. Anticipation, tension and confusion surrounded a man sitting on a rock. There were still others coming to listen to whatever Shinsei might say, each with their own expectations. It would be funny if he simply spent the morning meditating. It wasn't a bad way to spend the morning, though.

With San beside her, Nao sat down and began to meditate.
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:24 am
snip
Naraku eyed the strange woman with confusion. He didn't know what to make out of the person in front of him other than that she had extremely keen senses.

"My own sense of smell is fine. What I do with those noxious plants and animals is simple; I mix them together, I tinker with them and I elevate their poison into something that is greater than the sum of their parts," he gestures to himself. "I am not large or bulky, my armor not being nearly as impregnable as that of my cousins. So I use that poison as my fang and claw. But don't worry," he smiles. "I only use it against very bad things. Things that do not belong here. Things that would want nothing but to destroy you and me."

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Akutou, having been wherever he was in the early morning, notes the commotion building.

He finds a place off to the side, easily enough done when most folks are watching the man on the stone and a couple others are having what looks like it'll become a heated discussion, and squats down on his heels.

Glancing around, letting his eyes move while the rest of him keeps still, he takes in the crowd.

That one with t' eye... izzat Jiyo Sora? he thinks. Can't be. Ain't big enough, and ain't shootin' lightnin' out his ass.

Skinny guy with bad skin might be a pro'lem.

Wonder how that pig'll taste.

"Who's the guy on the rock?" he mutters sotto voce.
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:50 am

She took a place near to Anjing, she was family, among other things, it was better than standing aloof like a lone wolf. She gave clear greetings as she took her place among the growing throng of onlookers, “Pleasant morning, Anjing-obasan, it’s wonderful to see you again. I pray daily that my cousins have fared well in their travels, and certainly you have traveled further than most.”
"Ai, you look well." The older woman inclines her head in greeting. "You seem to have only grown taller since we last met." As tall as her father it looked like.

There's a slight shake when it comes to the travels. "We met some ill fortune on the journey, a corrupted creature warped in body and mind. It was driven off but not destroyed. I trust your own travels were smoother?" Anjing points at Shinsei. "I'm hoping he and his stone have some answers about the corruption since I don't want to be walking back come evening."

She turns away from the monk and gives Ai her full attention. "How fare your parents? It's been some time since I saw your father, and your mother - I understand her own battle continues." The daimyo looks pensive. "Perhaps if the sickness in the empire could be driven off...but I'm no wise woman."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny