Anjing

At Centre Court [Day 3 LM - Expecting]

Post by Anjing »

Next up on Anjing's agenda was a visit to Satsuki to talk about this whole Hikaru thing. Best to hear her side of things. Although she hoped dearly it wouldn't be that the Dragon 'was just not that into him'.

Oh to be young again.

As she reaches the tent she calls out. "Satsuki! One of your aunts is here, it's about that boy with the nice hair."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Re: At Centre Court [Day 3 LM - Expecting]

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Satsuki wasn't far away, as she was just inside her tent (with the flap pinned open), and the sudden announcement almost made her spill ink all over her lap and the scrap-paper she was writing on. "Fucking shit..." She quickly scrambled around to pop out of the tent.

"Anjing!" she smiled, half-expecting what this could be about. "This is a surprise, ah... do you want me to put on tea? Or snack?" She moved more out of the tent now, briefly passing her hand on the mirror with inscribed protective symbols on it that was at the entrance.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:17 pm
Satsuki wasn't far away, as she was just inside her tent (with the flap pinned open), and the sudden announcement almost made her spill ink all over her lap and the scrap-paper she was writing on. "Fucking shit..." She quickly scrambled around to pop out of the tent.

"Anjing!" she smiled, half-expecting what this could be about. "This is a surprise, ah... do you want me to put on tea? Or snack?" She moved more out of the tent now, briefly passing her hand on the mirror with inscribed protective symbols on it that was at the entrance.
Anjing glances down at the ink and then back up at Satsuki. "Maybe one day I'll stop shouting at people when they're writing...but I don't think it will be today. Yes, tea would be nice, we have much to discuss."

She puts down her restocked pack.
"I bought some of my own to share, a calming blend, something to make a long day tolerable."
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:30 pm
snip
"Why do I have the feeling you've done that plenty of times," her grimace worked into a smirk, showing she wasn't actually angry. "I was just writing up what I've uncovered so far regarding this place, particularly the more spiritual nature... since there seems to be more of a, uh, leadership forming now, I figured it would be good to make a proper report, and information can be shared."

Unlike many others, Satsuki didn't really believe in hiding the truth or ferreting away knowledge most of the time.

"Alright, tea it is then. I have some dried fruit and nuts, if you want?"

Finding her waterskin, she filled the plain teapot with water to place over the fire.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:47 pm
"Why do I have the feeling you've done that plenty of times," her grimace worked into a smirk, showing she wasn't actually angry. "I was just writing up what I've uncovered so far regarding this place, particularly the more spiritual nature... since there seems to be more of a, uh, leadership forming now, I figured it would be good to make a proper report, and information can be shared."

Unlike many others, Satsuki didn't really believe in hiding the truth or ferreting away knowledge most of the time.

"Alright, tea it is then. I have some dried fruit and nuts, if you want?"

Finding her waterskin, she filled the plain teapot with water to place over the fire.
"Constructing defenses, writing up reports. Very sensible. I'm proud you've grown into a young woman who does things rather than one who simply watches. I shall await your findings with great interest."
Anjing beams, her smile growing at the mention of dried fruit.
"Oh yes, it would be very appreciated."

Although she doesn't give Satsuki much time to recover for charging forward with why she came in the first place.
"That Hikaru boy. He looked me right in the eyes and told me he was courting you. It was very sweet, he's terribly earnest. Now-" she slams a fist into her palm. "-Do you want my blessing for this courtship, or should I go tell him to stop bothering you?"
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:55 pm
beep
"As kids, Hoshi and I wanted to hear the story of Hisomu's rescue all the time. I think one of the things to remember from that time was that working together for a common good was something that kept everyone united in purpose and spirit, even when surrounded by dangers. Kinda feels fitting for our situation, mhm."

Satsuki barely had time to reach for one of the storage boxes with food before Anjing ambushed the topic. "I... what? No! I mean," she held up a hand and rubbed her forehead for a brief second. She looked a lot like her father in that moment. "What I mean is yes he's courting me, and no don't tell him to stop. I didn't know we needed your blessing though...?" Now she almost looked sheepish, as if she had been caught doing something naughty.
Theme | Profile

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:01 am
"As kids, Hoshi and I wanted to hear the story of Hisomu's rescue all the time. I think one of the things to remember from that time was that working together for a common good was something that kept everyone united in purpose and spirit, even when surrounded by dangers. Kinda feels fitting for our situation, mhm."

Satsuki barely had time to reach for one of the storage boxes with food before Anjing ambushed the topic. "I... what? No! I mean," she held up a hand and rubbed her forehead for a brief second. She looked a lot like her father in that moment. "What I mean is yes he's courting me, and no don't tell him to stop. I didn't know we needed your blessing though...?" Now she almost looked sheepish, as if she had been caught doing something naughty.
"And the way I hear it they fought all the way south and back, arguing over this and that. Sometimes you gotta fight to figure out where everyone stands. Glad I wasn't there though."

Anjing chuckles at Satsuki's expression as she starts preparing the ingredients for tea.
"I'm your oldest family member present. You know, in the old days I'd have asked Hikaru to come by my tent and fight me with his bare hands to prove himself worthy. If I liked him I might decide to run out of energy when he got a lucky hit, and if I didn't I'd be the grumpiest stick in the mud you've ever seen."
Anjing mimes a right cross.

"Of course things have changed and you're only my niece, so you don't need my blessing. But still, it can be useful to have some perspective. Now as it happens I conducted a thorough investigation of the young man. Very thorough, I left no stone unturned."
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:37 am
"And the way I hear it they fought all the way south and back, arguing over this and that. Sometimes you gotta fight to figure out where everyone stands. Glad I wasn't there though."

Anjing chuckles at Satsuki's expression as she starts preparing the ingredients for tea.
"I'm your oldest family member present. You know, in the old days I'd have asked Hikaru to come by my tent and fight me with his bare hands to prove himself worthy. If I liked him I might decide to run out of energy when he got a lucky hit, and if I didn't I'd be the grumpiest stick in the mud you've ever seen."
Anjing mimes a right cross.

"Of course things have changed and you're only my niece, so you don't need my blessing. But still, it can be useful to have some perspective. Now as it happens I conducted a thorough investigation of the young man. Very thorough, I left no stone unturned."
"I... wasn't aware that the Seidou used to have such harsh marriage-requirements. And to think my mom was among the odd ones in her tribe for wanting to bind herself for life to one person," she chuckled awkwardly, considering how much that had changed from the tribal days. Maybe her relatives among the Imperials really had set an example for the Ayakashi in regards to marriage.

Satsuki set out some plain cups for them, alongside the open box with dried bits of apples, peaches, and a mixed variety of nuts. "Indeed? I'm curious what your verdict is on Hikaru. I have known him for five years you know, but I suppose older and wiser eyes might see things I can't."
Theme | Profile

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:34 am

"I... wasn't aware that the Seidou used to have such harsh marriage-requirements. And to think my mom was among the odd ones in her tribe for wanting to bind herself for life to one person," she chuckled awkwardly, considering how much that had changed from the tribal days. Maybe her relatives among the Imperials really had set an example for the Ayakashi in regards to marriage.

Satsuki set out some plain cups for them, alongside the open box with dried bits of apples, peaches, and a mixed variety of nuts. "Indeed? I'm curious what your verdict is on Hikaru. I have known him for five years you know, but I suppose older and wiser eyes might see things I can't."
"Just a family tradition. You don't think we got so tough from reading poetry to one another?"
Anjing has the tea brewing nicely as Satsuki sets.

"Yes, he was telling me you two have known eachother for five years. And only now you are courting. Doubtless you were hoping I would expire of old age. But clearly my soul must have sensed this and remained determined to stay on this mortal coil."
She grins.

"My eyes have the benefit of neutrality. A young heart can do foolish things! Mine did. Ruined my ability to tell people off about relationships for years. Only just recovering now. Hmmm, so Hikaru."
Anjing rubs her chin for a moment, before deciding a little test was in order.

In a completely innocent tone. "He's cute, isn't he?"
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:03 am
snip
"I don't rush to marry people I just met, you know?" she remarked with a chuckle. In that regard she was similar to her mother.

"Besides, there was like... a whole apocalypse of doom hanging over us after that winter court. Then I've been traveling around with dad all over the Empire, and..." a sigh, "there just wasn't a whole lot of time to think about it sometimes."

Satsuki usually smiled warm smiles, friendly smiles, or pretty smiles, but this time it was more like a goofy smile. "He is cute. Very much so too when he gets flustered because he's always so proper."
Theme | Profile

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:06 am

"I don't rush to marry people I just met, you know?" she remarked with a chuckle. In that regard she was similar to her mother.

"Besides, there was like... a whole apocalypse of doom hanging over us after that winter court. Then I've been traveling around with dad all over the Empire, and..." a sigh, "there just wasn't a whole lot of time to think about it sometimes."

Satsuki usually smiled warm smiles, friendly smiles, or pretty smiles, but this time it was more like a goofy smile. "He is cute. Very much so too when he gets flustered because he's always so proper."
"And now there is another apocalypse of doom. I believe this will be the third in these past 20 years. You see what happens when you delay for apocalypses?"

She stirs the tea carefully before starting to slowly snack.
"Oh he doesn't doesn't he? He spilt some tea yesterday and I've never seen a man so red." Her own smile is very soft, a warmth at seeing her niece so happy.

Still, aunties have their duty. "But a partner must be more than cute smiles and nice hair. They must be an advisor, an ally. Your greatest supporter and your harshest critic. They need to be able to make you laugh, to make you smile. And if needs be to brawl with anyone who wishes you harm, even if they might not win. Now"

Firmly "Do you believe Hikaru can grow to be that sort of partner?"
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:53 am
"And now there is another apocalypse of doom. I believe this will be the third in these past 20 years. You see what happens when you delay for apocalypses?"

She stirs the tea carefully before starting to slowly snack.
"Oh he doesn't doesn't he? He spilt some tea yesterday and I've never seen a man so red." Her own smile is very soft, a warmth at seeing her niece so happy.

Still, aunties have their duty. "But a partner must be more than cute smiles and nice hair. They must be an advisor, an ally. Your greatest supporter and your harshest critic. They need to be able to make you laugh, to make you smile. And if needs be to brawl with anyone who wishes you harm, even if they might not win. Now"

Firmly "Do you believe Hikaru can grow to be that sort of partner?"
"Right..." she chuckled. "Saving Doji has been so important for Hikaru... I didn't want to distract him from that. But Doji Hikaru, retainer of Lady Doji, spilling tea? Color me shocked! You must've said something truly outrageous to him to make that happen."

Satsuki took a piece of dried peach, turning it between her fingers a moment as she listened to Anjing.

"I do think so, yeah. We've never argued really, but... I think he would be honest enough to critique me, if I'm wrong. That's what good people do."
Theme | Profile

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:41 pm

"Right..." she chuckled. "Saving Doji has been so important for Hikaru... I didn't want to distract him from that. But Doji Hikaru, retainer of Lady Doji, spilling tea? Color me shocked! You must've said something truly outrageous to him to make that happen."

Satsuki took a piece of dried peach, turning it between her fingers a moment as she listened to Anjing.

"I do think so, yeah. We've never argued really, but... I think he would be honest enough to critique me, if I'm wrong. That's what good people do."
"Oh I was telling him about the sort of things he'd need to consider in a relationship. Physical compatibility and that stuff. Better to think about it earlier rather than later, but the poor man was a little shocked."

As she speaks she fills the two cups with tea and offers the first to Satsuki.

"It's not about being a good person, it's about being a good partner. Anyone can be a good person, or can at least try. Being a good partner means a lot more than that. Look, Hida and I, we've had our ups and downs. We still don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, part of that's the height issue. But We've never been afraid to tell one another what's wrong."

Anjing frowns slightly at the memory.
"Even if we had to fight about it. I trust that his soul is strong enough to handle that. Otherwise niece you will walk all over him and marry a doormat instead of a husband."
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:54 pm
"Oh I was telling him about the sort of things he'd need to consider in a relationship. Physical compatibility and that stuff. Better to think about it earlier rather than later, but the poor man was a little shocked."

As she speaks she fills the two cups with tea and offers the first to Satsuki.

"It's not about being a good person, it's about being a good partner. Anyone can be a good person, or can at least try. Being a good partner means a lot more than that. Look, Hida and I, we've had our ups and downs. We still don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, part of that's the height issue. But We've never been afraid to tell one another what's wrong."

Anjing frowns slightly at the memory.
"Even if we had to fight about it. I trust that his soul is strong enough to handle that. Otherwise niece you will walk all over him and marry a doormat instead of a husband."
Satsuki tutted, "I don't think they talk about such things in the Crane dojo or courts, so I'm not surprised."

The teacup is accepted with a grateful nod.

"Oh, no. I never wanted to marry a doormat. Ugh," she almost rolled her eyes, and sipped from the steaming hot tea, clearly unbothered by the high temperature. "Hikaru is someone who sticks to what he believes in, which I think is good. Like... he's dedicated years of his life to helping auntie Doji, even when no one else were. I know that his character is dependable, strong, and devouted. But I've seen him stand up to others of his clan to do what is right for Doji, so I know he won't be walked over by me or anyone else."
Theme | Profile

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:32 pm

Satsuki tutted, "I don't think they talk about such things in the Crane dojo or courts, so I'm not surprised."

The teacup is accepted with a grateful nod.

"Oh, no. I never wanted to marry a doormat. Ugh," she almost rolled her eyes, and sipped from the steaming hot tea, clearly unbothered by the high temperature. "Hikaru is someone who sticks to what he believes in, which I think is good. Like... he's dedicated years of his life to helping auntie Doji, even when no one else were. I know that his character is dependable, strong, and devouted. But I've seen him stand up to others of his clan to do what is right for Doji, so I know he won't be walked over by me or anyone else."
Anjing nods approvingly. "Good, then he truly has spirit."

And naturally, asking just as Satsuki sipped her tea.
"And make sure you talk to him about any children early. Many men expect them, and early. Although I confess in his case he might well have not been able to bring himself to go there. But you should both understand what you want and find some overlap. He'll probably stammer a bit and blurt out that it's whatever you want, but do try to at least get an opinion out of him."

Hmmm.
"Oh yes, and you asked him to complete some tasks to win your favour? I expect he will exceed himself there, very romantic. What were they again?"
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:39 pm
snip
She paused mid-sip and coughed awkwardly. "Uh..." Damnit, I hadn't even thought of kids at all! Her mind had been too focused on getting to this point, and everything else going on around them with Day of Thunder, impending doom, and Doji. "... Honestly, I haven't thought about it. Like, yeah, kids are natural and all I guess, but, uh, maybe see how the first one goes, yeah? I know mom needed time to recover from me and Hoshi."

Recovering, she finished her sip of tea. "Quite good tea. And yeah, I gave him some tasks - in honor of Doji, since that is how the Crane likes to do it. I think it's cute, and the challenge itself is more how he chooses to solve them," at that, Satsuki grinned. That same impish grin her mother sometimes had had back in the day. First, he must hold the stars in the palm of his hand. Second, he must show the strength of fire. Third and lastly, he must create the most sublime sound."

Satsuki wasn't really able to hide her own excitement over it. And it was romantic, and in honor of Lady Doji, so maybe somehow somewhere, she'd know?

"But, did you and Hida like, I dunno, plan the number of kids and discuss it, or just left it to fate?"
Theme | Profile

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:48 pm

"But, did you and Hida like, I dunno, plan the number of kids and discuss it, or just left it to fate?"
"Satsuki, in the interests of not horrifying you with what the older generation got up to in the day. I will simply say that we discussed having a large family, before and during the ongoing process of enthusiastically creating said family. Was it all sunshine and roses? Absolutely not. The creation is a lot more fun than the 'carrying around two giant children for the better part of a cycle' part of things. And then I don't think I slept for 5 years afterwards. And that's just what I can complain about in polite conversation."

Still, she smiles at the memories. "Hardly perfect at all, but no regrets. For us it was a question of how many children."
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:48 pm
Recovering, she finished her sip of tea. "Quite good tea. And yeah, I gave him some tasks - in honor of Doji, since that is how the Crane likes to do it. I think it's cute, and the challenge itself is more how he chooses to solve them," at that, Satsuki grinned. That same impish grin her mother sometimes had had back in the day. First, he must hold the stars in the palm of his hand. Second, he must show the strength of fire. Third and lastly, he must create the most sublime sound."

Satsuki wasn't really able to hide her own excitement over it. And it was romantic, and in honor of Lady Doji, so maybe somehow somewhere, she'd know?
"I should hope it is, it took years to find out how to grow proper tea in the north."
Anjing nods as the three labours of Hikaru are listed.
"Hmmmph, it's good he is not a Crab. One of us would simply cup your cheek, ask you to marry them and then yell for joy should you say yes. Quick, efficient, romantic, covers them all and then you move on to the next thing. I suspect Hikaru will be a little more graceful in his approach."
Sighing slightly.
"You look very much like your mother right now. Doubtless she'll be delighted to hear of this whole affair."
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:00 am
"Satsuki, in the interests of not horrifying you with what the older generation got up to in the day. I will simply say that we discussed having a large family, before and during the ongoing process of enthusiastically creating said family. Was it all sunshine and roses? Absolutely not. The creation is a lot more fun than the 'carrying around two giant children for the better part of a cycle' part of things. And then I don't think I slept for 5 years afterwards. And that's just what I can complain about in polite conversation."

Still, she smiles at the memories. "Hardly perfect at all, but no regrets. For us it was a question of how many children."

Anjing nods as the three labours of Hikaru are listed.
"Hmmmph, it's good he is not a Crab. One of us would simply cup your cheek, ask you to marry them and then yell for joy should you say yes. Quick, efficient, romantic, covers them all and then you move on to the next thing. I suspect Hikaru will be a little more graceful in his approach."
Sighing slightly.
"You look very much like your mother right now. Doubtless she'll be delighted to hear of this whole affair."
It was probably different for each woman, Satsuki reasoned. Shinjo had plenty of kids, and Anjing had many too. Her own mother almost died giving birth to her and Hoshi, or so Nadare had told her rather dramatically once. Strange that no one were praising them officially though like some others, but maybe they just didn't feel the need for it?

"I'll have to talk with him about it more, but I admit I hadn't really thought much on the growing a family part. I dunno, not small, but not large?" What was a medium-sized family anyway, she wondered.

As Anjing compared her to her mother, she laughed warmly. "I imagine I do... but you know, like my mom I like riddles. And don't tell Hikaru this, but the riddle of his little challenges is that he can't really fail. There aren't any real answers to it, right. Because I want to see him challenge himself in different ways, and show more of himself in the process. If I fancied someone who were more like a Crab, then that would probably be the right answers to all those for them."

"But yeah, I imagine mom is going to be pretty excited over the whole thing, except for missing out on it." And she probably would've suggested making the challenges even greater.
Theme | Profile

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:11 am

Snip
"Small is easier to manage. More time for each child, I hope he sees it the same way."

Another snack was swiftly consumed in-between tea.

"Perhaps that is the beauty of the riddles, if you like him then they cannot be failed, and if you don't they cannot be passed. Very clever, I've told him to get a move on so hopefully you'll see how he's challenging himself soon. He was comparing your eyes to lush forests, so there is still room for improvement, clearly."

She chuckles.
"Once we have finished here, go speak to your mother first thing. But perhaps do not take Hikaru right away, parents can make certain assumptions. And if all goes well, maybe a further challenge for the wedding itself? You are Togashi's child, a little ceremony is appropriate."
Great Destiny

Togashi Satsuki

Anjing wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:19 am
snip
Satsuki meanwhile was still chewing slowly through her piece of peach. "Lush forests, huh?" she chuckled warmly. It did sound very poetic and romantic.

"Of course I'll go home after all this is over. But I don't think there will be more challenges ahead after this... I'm sure mom and dad will accept anyone I've chosen myself. And it's not like he's a complete stranger either." Her mother being too nice to say no, and her father having learned long ago that his children will do as they please a lot of the time.

"Hey, since we're on the topic, have any of my Hida cousins found a partner yet? Apart from Ananzihime, and Genji, not many of us cousins have married yet."
Theme | Profile