Saru Ranmaru

(D4 EE) A Man Must Seek to Improve Always

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Ranmaru had done well in his studies of Niten but not enough. There were times when he was still too heavy on his feet, exposing himself (not in that way) to attacks and missing key openings. Sometimes he did not exert himself at a steady pace either; he could have used a bit more endurance.

But instead of any of that, he trained on something that many called preposterous: he sought to wield a polearm in one hand and a sword in the other. Eventually he would have liked to handle two polearms at the same time but this came first. He swung it around with his right arm, quite unwieldy, as he tried to meld in his off-hand sword in a way like Niten but his own take on it. If his mother was here, she would have likened it to how he was as a small boy playing with sticks...
Glistening Muscles | Ascendant Swordsman | Yearns for Paradise

Anjing

Re: (D4 EE) A Man Must Seek to Improve Always

Post by Anjing »

Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:54 pm
Ranmaru had done well in his studies of Niten but not enough. There were times when he was still too heavy on his feet, exposing himself (not in that way) to attacks and missing key openings. Sometimes he did not exert himself at a steady pace either; he could have used a bit more endurance.

But instead of any of that, he trained on something that many called preposterous: he sought to wield a polearm in one hand and a sword in the other. Eventually he would have liked to handle two polearms at the same time but this came first. He swung it around with his right arm, quite unwieldy, as he tried to meld in his off-hand sword in a way like Niten but his own take on it. If his mother was here, she would have likened it to how he was as a small boy playing with sticks...
"Boy, you are going to put someone's eye out." Anjing sounds rather unamused as she stomps into the camp, she had been on her way to visit Hikaru but that Dragon man from before had been whipping his spear all over the place (not in that way).

"What sort of that technique is that anyway? Does Mirumoto know you're doing this?"
Although she had to be fair, it must take considerable strength and technique for him to be able to move like that, even if it appeared ungainly.
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Ai was intrigued but for now was content to allow Anjing to speak.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

"At one point he did," Ranmaru said before doing his best to twirl the shaft around his hand. Nice. Well, it wasn't so nice since it fell to the ground. He clucked his tongue then squatted down to pick it back up. "He didn't approve but I'm guessing not a lot of people approved of him when he created Niten."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Niten.

Fucking Niten.

Mother fucking Niten.

Look at me I got two hands and two swords... more like dicks flopping about.

Ai smiled and preened and said, as the spear clattered on the ground, "Niten is an astonishing style, I am impressed to see it done so... well."
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:51 pm
"At one point he did," Ranmaru said before doing his best to twirl the shaft around his hand. Nice. Well, it wasn't so nice since it fell to the ground. He clucked his tongue then squatted down to pick it back up. "He didn't approve but I'm guessing not a lot of people approved of him when he created Niten."
"...Well you're probably right, still not sure I approve of that anyway. Too much waggling, not enough whacking. So what's the goal here? You use the polearm to ward folks away and then slash with the sword if they get close?"
Raising an eyebrow.
"That sounds real complicated. And you'd need to be strong as an ox and twice as stubborn."
Squinting slightly. "This isn't all gonna be something about how only men have the strength to wield two spears or something?"
Nanzi Ai wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:54 pm
Niten.

Fucking Niten.

Mother fucking Niten.

Look at me I got two hands and two swords... more like dicks flopping about.

Ai smiled and preened and said, as the spear clattered on the ground, "Niten is an astonishing style, I am impressed to see it done so... well."
"Ah Ai, were you out for some training as well?"
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

"I had finished my village patrol and wanted to... yes, always more training," she admitted. "And you, Obasan?"

"And, apologies I have not met this Dragon, before. This one is Nanzi Ai of the Yumenosenshi, in service to the Crane."
Last edited by Nanzi Ai on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

At the mention of strength, Ranmaru flexed his bicep. But his bravado waned when she so easily deduced his motivation before this escapade. "Well bigger is obviously better," he said. His attention shifted to the other woman. "Ah yes, introductions. Ranmaru, Defender of the Empire, so and so on." He glanced at Anjing to see what she would have to say about that.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:23 am
"I had finished my village patrol and wanted to... yes, always more training," she admitted. "And you, Obasan?"

"And, apologies I have not me this Dragon, before. This one is Nanzi Ai of the Yumenosenshi, in service to the Crane."
"Visiting a nice young man to offer him some support and advice."
She taps her tetsubo lightly against her shoulder.
"Just passing through."
Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:54 am
At the mention of strength, Ranmaru flexed his bicep. But his bravado waned when she so easily deduced his motivation before this escapade. "Well bigger is obviously better," he said. His attention shifted to the other woman. "Ah yes, introductions. Ranmaru, Defender of the Empire, so and so on." He glanced at Anjing to see what she would have to say about that.
"I certainly find little wrong with hitting people with progressively bigger weapons until they stop moving. How would the style work side by side with an ally, hmmm? Will you all be whirling?"
Smiling slightly.
"Indeed Ai, Ranmaru is certainly one of the Defenders of the empire. He has a most unique philosophy and a very kind mother."
Great Destiny

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“Defender of the Empire… he must never sleep then, for our realm is quite large,” she teased as she smiled at her dear aunt.

He studies Niten, of course his philosophy would be unique. She turned her eyes to the man and said, “High praise indeed, Obasan. I am not so well versed in many philosophical topics but now I am curious. Is this philosophy an extension of Niten or something wholly different?”

She smiled warmly and added, “I would add that Strength is a cornerstone of any bushi’s arsenal, while many see the Crane reliant on speed we still must have the endurance and strength to follow through on our strikes.”

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Ranmaru shrugged. "It's not something to be taken so literally. Go where you're needed most, heed the call of destiny." His eyes lazily glanced around at the camp around them. "Like how so many came here." He let out a soft sigh. "But don't be fooled: even something seemingly minor could have prevented a catastrophe from unfolding.

"As for my philosophy, can I claim that it has not been influenced by Niten? Certainly not, though I think a surface level reading would suggest that it is much different." Ranmaru sheathed his sword and kept the polearm resting against the ground.

His mind, however, honed in particularly on what Anjing had said. Something about the actual effectiveness of his experiments on the battlefield. It would be easy to disregard her as nothing more than a mewling woman... and yet he could not deny her on this matter. There was no method for standing side-by-side with his fellow warrior, stemming the tide of, well, whatever the enemy was. The style was wholly individualistic. What if it's studied along Niten then? But would that not be degrading from both, like splitting a stream to supply two villages but they dry up before reaching either? Wait is that even how rivers work? He gritted his teeth as he massaged his aching head. What a terrible day this was!

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“And yet that is how you define yourself, and so you must see yourself as a Defender of the Empire. If one must have loyalty to the Dragon or Empire which gains higher precedence?” she said with a shrug, “A decision many a samurai will have to answer for themselves. Philosophical musings, which is rare for me. I suspect such close proximity to a Dragon brings out the metaphysical in me.”

“But what is your philosophy? Or does it defy description?” she asked.

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

You sound rather intrigued, Ai. Give the poor boy a moment to collect his thoughts, we are the ones intruding on his whirling after all. Perhaps you could answer the question yourself? The Empire or the Clan?"

Anjing smiles slightly.

As for Ranmaru.
"So, it is not niten but rather the next step? A new niten?" One of her eyebrows waggles up. "Is it better than niten?"
Great Destiny

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Anjing wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:10 pm
"You sound rather intrigued, Ai. Give the poor boy a moment to collect his thoughts, we are the ones intruding on his whirling after all. Perhaps you could answer the question yourself? The Empire or the Clan?"
“We of House Nanzi are sworn to the service of House Doji, and our blades shall never be raised against them,” she said firmly with no delay.

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Ranmaru tilted his head. "I don't know how they do it in other clans but I need not ever worry that Togashi will ever oppose the Emperor. Therefore, this is a pointless question for me to answer."

The earlier question about this fighting style's efficacy still whirred in his mind. But he also wrestled with the futility of speaking with these women. It seemed that the more astray women were not in the least receptive to listening to him. Could it be that the women he spoke to earlier were simply polite courtiers? Well, he didn't consider that part at all.

"Niten, and any style, is a tool, a method." Mirumoto might have had a different opinion but this was his. "Seiyūdō is more broadly encompassing, a path of life itself. Through it, men can reach their greatest potential instead of succumbing to corruption."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:29 pm
Ranmaru tilted his head. "I don't know how they do it in other clans but I need not ever worry that Togashi will ever oppose the Emperor. Therefore, this is a pointless question for me to answer."
So mmuch for that vaunted Dragon wisdom and philosophy… what else could she expect from someone who studied Niten… probably needs both hands to wipe his ass.

The true magic of Niten.
Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:29 pm
"Niten, and any style, is a tool, a method." Mirumoto might have had a different opinion but this was his. "Seiyūdō is more broadly encompassing, a path of life itself. Through it, men can reach their greatest potential instead of succumbing to corruption."
“Seiyudo…” she said not exactly matching the tone of the Dragon. “I like the idea of achieving our greatest potential and to resist Corruption is a noble goal. Consider me intrigued, how would one such as myself begin the journey to achieving my greatest self?”

As long as it did not require her to debase herself and utilize, Niten.