Ryoshun Yukara

Re: (D6, ME) The Vigil of the Unworthy (open)

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yukara listened, and she struggled with it.

"I know... in my mind I know."

She tapped at her chest. "Yet in my heart I still desire that power to make right what is wrong - to stop evil before it strikes. I do not know if I will ever be fully at peace with that."

Looking at Ai, she added, "But... seeing the good of people - this week. Seeing the empire as more than just a faceless storm driving the bandits north... has given me perspective. Maybe in my lifetime, there will not be security in those outskirts, but some day, even they will see peace."
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“That is a dangerous desire, how does one stop a murderer before they murder someone? I am no philosopher. But I agree with your heart, I too want to end such suffering, but we must make peace with the fact that there are just things we cannot do… it is a bitter pill, but it is the reality of Ningen-do,” she said honestly.

“Peace will come, but the people have to want peace for it to last.”
Last edited by Nanzi Ai on Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Hai... in that you are correct."

Yukara smiled, weakly, and then shook her head, the smile stronger. "In the end, I can only do my best. While I may be frustrated by the short measure of my reach, I will not allow that frustration to stop me, nor to lead me astray."

Turning toward Ai, she inquired, "Have you any burdens of your own to set down? You are about to shoulder a mighty one indeed - so if that can be lessened, you need only ask."
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

"I had many when I arrived, more than I realized but strangely enough the nightmares and dreams forced me to confront many of them... and I feel lighter. I too felt the burden of not being able to save those before they could do harm... that plagued me the most and still gives me pause," she said honestly.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I can understand that - my own experiences here have challenged many of my assumptions, and opened my eyes to blessings I did not know I had."

Drumming her fingers on the shaft of the bisento, the jade claws on her fingertips clicking as she did, though she did not seem to notice.

"I believe in you - you were chosen for a reason, and you have shown yourself to be thoughtful of what lies ahead. My offer stands - of course. Do not be afraid to lean upon us if there is anything you need. You carry our hopes, so let us carry what we can, neh?"

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“You have been helpful Ryoshun-san, your anger gave some perspective to my won thoughts and what had endured. I still feel sorrow for Kujo-san, one I failed to save, but also that it was not my fault. I did all I could in the moment with what I knew… in the end he made the choice and I acted,” she said firmly.

At the latter words she nodded and said, “We carry each other to victory.”

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"Indeed we do."

Yukara offered a cheeky grin. "We have a great deal to look forward to, as well. I wish to learn the art and music of your clan - to see Beiden pass, to travel the Imperial Libraries, and so much more. Not the least to learn how to play that interesting instrument you carry about - it seems fun."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

"Would you like to try it?" she asked.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I... I would. But I have no idea how."

Yukara was taken aback. "I would not wish to break it."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

She removed it from her back and offered it and said, along with the implement to play it and said, "You will be fine, I can show you some simple chords."

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Yukara took it, gingerly, like one handling a stranger's baby. She tried to mimic the hold that Ai had used previously, instrument held in her left hand. As she reached out with her right to take the pick, she flinched in surprise the shamisen tumbling from her grip - looking at her hands as if bitten... and it was instantly obvious why. Her fingers had... changed... during their talk.

Her dreams had not been merely dreams, it seemed. The inner seeking she had done all day had waited for this moment to surprise her - which... was fitting to the nature of the spirit she had sought, to offer a little mischief.

Each finger now terminated in a jade talon, the last digit smoothly splitting into cat's claw.

With similarly feline reflexes, however, she reached out with her left hand, grabbing the instrument and arresting its fall, transforming potential tragedy into simply a comical bumbling.

Catching her breath, she glanced at Ai, and offered, "I am sorry, I was surprised. I... do not seem to need a pick, however."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

She raised a brow at the odd appearance but tried to push it aside and allow Compassion to guide her. She did have a brief moment where her heart nearly jumped out of her chest but was glad to not have to lost her instrument. She sighed and then smiled and said, “Yes, you have rather unique… fingers… talons? Regardless, you use this to tune but for now I have it set just play these few chords in succession slowly at first and then faster and you should generate pleasing tune.”

“Try it.”

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Seeing the utter lack of reaction, Yukara was surprised.

"Well, they are new, Nanzi-sama. I was visited by my grandmother's spirit during one of my dreams - she showed me that my heritage is not simply one of a demon, but of a spirit with many facets. I was not certain if the dream was true, so I have been searching for it within myself all day... and it chose now to reveal itself."

Yukara followed the instructions, picking gently at the strings with her claws. "It is hard to remember, but... pleasant. I can see why you enjoy it."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

"Oh... so you have a spirit in your lineage?" she asked.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"My grandmother was Bakeneko." She was still surprised, but in a weird way, similar to the lost arm, the claws felt as natural as if she had spent her entire life with them.

Yukara chuckled. "I thought it was only my eyes... but apparently I was wrong."

Picking at the strings she tried to start forming a string of coherent notes, not quite finding the ones she was looking for. "How do you get... between notes? I cannot re-create the lullaby I sang... I thought that would be simple but it is too high or too low when I change strings."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

“Practice,” she admitted before briefly explaining the mechanics in far more detail than the player has the capacity for. Once finished she added, “But the best part of learning an instrument is that it is a lifelong journey of experimentation and joy. Ultimately proficiency is not the goal, at least for me, I know that would be anathema to many of my cousins but if one enjoys what they do, then do it. Even if it is not perfect.”
Last edited by Nanzi Ai on Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I think there is wisdom in that."

She picked at the strings thoughtfully, starting to get a sequence of notes, albeit clumsily.

"Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good. That is a saying of my sensei, for those days when my efforts were not up to my own unreasonable standards."

Finally, she felt confident enough to try and repeat a simple tune. It was rough, but it did mimic the form of one Ai had played at the party - just... a lot worse. At least Yukara got close enough for it to be clear she was trying to play back something Ai had played.

Then she chuckled, and passed the instrument back, adding quietly. "Please win - when you return, I would like you to teach me to play again, Nanzi Ai."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

"I will do all in my power to return so we can continue," she said warmly.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

"I could ask for no more."

Yukara offered a formal bow at the waist, jade talons tucking away into her sleeves with remarkable ease.

"I do not wish to keep you up late, Nanzi-sama. If anything changes here, I will inform you, and if there is anything I can do, you need only ask." She seemed prepared to make a night vigil of it, unless some strange disturbance might later draw her attention.