How far should technology progress during the next game?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:37 am

It should regress! Bronze and dagger-axes for everyone!
No votes
It's only 25 years, let's stick with medieval stasis for an arc.
47%
Scooching a little bit forward seems reasonable. Get some longbows in here.
10%
Let's jump ahead a bit! We have the Bat experimenting with practical tech, so let's see some results!
3%
Let's jump ahead a LOT. There's a whole neighboring empire to draw from and move ahead with.
No votes
Steampunk, baby. We've got whole areas of Yume-do with information that can take us there.
40%

Total votes: 30

Canary

Poll 1: Technological Progress

Post by Canary »

I'll be creating a few polls that'll be common post-arc polls. This is one of them.

This poll with run for 3 days.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Yumi

Re: Poll 1: Technological Progress

Post by Yumi »

Nobody tell Yumi longbows haven't been invented yet.
Last edited by Yumi on Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant | Hunter | Loner | Tribal Ways | Follower of the Path | Dream Necklace | Jade Necklace | Great Destiny
What is Expected - Status: None - Glory: 1.0

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

I don't think the full steampunk is warranted yet. The people are not there yet and it could clashe with the mystic nature of the empire.

Jumping to Iron Age seems pretty decent since people still have bronze weapons
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Steampunk (which is leading as of this writing) seems a bridge too far for me.

Give us another century or two! :lol:
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Yeah, it just throws me off.

I fear most goals I come up with would just be washed away by the tech jump

Hell, my previous goal of agrarian reforms seems useless with that big a jump
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

I picked medieval but whatever works, is fine with me.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Steampunkgan would be fun but I think it would step on what makes Dawn unique already. Two tastes that I'm not sure go great together.
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Sugri wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:26 am
Steampunkgan would be fun but I think it would step on what makes Dawn unique already. Two tastes that I'm not sure go great together.
More or less this.

I think it could be an awesome setting, just not sure this is the one.... yet.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Y'all know which one this nezumi voted for ;D

I do like the idea of Rokugan having better tech bc the nezumi empire survived almost fully intact. I think it would reward that huge divergence from the canon.
BEST ENDING UNLOCKED: TRANSCENDENT NAME: Mother of Ten Thousand Dreams

Name 3: Great Name / Niche ?: Nameseeker? / Small / A babychild. / theme
Tiny thing carries around a ritual dagger.

Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Full steam ahead!
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Dream technology sounds good on paper, but feel to me like trying to juggle with a few too many balls at once: You could write a full book just around that concept, going into the details of dream clothes that change depending on your mood (and of course become pajamas when you're too stressed), dream corridors that are connected to rooms effectively separated by thousands of miles on a map, dream crafting where you assemble a complex machinery in your dream with no effort and the tricky part is for it to not instantly collapse as soon as it enters the physical realm...

But trying to deal with all that in addition of about twelve factions and half a dozen systems of magic already seems like a bit much.
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

The more I think of it the more the steampunk version feels more like what 1KYD of Yume-Jigoku would look like. 'Limitless potential and advancement... enjoy choking on the fumes.'
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei »

Sugri wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:38 pm
The more I think of it the more the steampunk version feels more like what 1KYD of Yume-Jigoku would look like. 'Limitless potential and advancement... enjoy choking on the fumes.'
That sounds about right. Since we dodged that bullet, lets not bring it on ourselves!

Also, apart from the last 150 years or so, technology advanced very, veeeerryy slowly throughout history.
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 3 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle, new case for scrolls.

Saru Ranmaru

Post by Saru Ranmaru »

Just imagine Chuchu on a motorcycle. Then you know what you must vote for.
Glistening Muscles | Ascendant Swordsman | Yearns for Paradise

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Motorcycles are not steampunk

Makime

Post by Makime »

Steampunk is pretty much anything just with more brass and a boiler. The genre has steampowered airships that have the force projection of modern supercarriers, putting a tiny boiler or just a pressurized vessel on a penny-farthing is well with in the realm of possibility.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Makime wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:43 am
Steampunk is pretty much anything just with more brass and a boiler. The genre has steampowered airships that have the force projection of modern supercarriers, putting a tiny boiler or just a pressurized vessel on a penny-farthing is well with in the realm of possibility.
An excellent summation of why I'm completely against it for an empire that was using bronze swords and hadn't even invented the nagninata twenty-five years ago :lol:

Carries:

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

In extreme cases, perhaps, but that departs somewhat the steampunk genre. Airships are more akin to dirigeables then supercarriers.

In any case steampunk in the span of 20 years makes no sense

Makime

Post by Makime »

Incidentally curiously searching for steam powered motorcycle did end with me finding this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hUMXWN ... nel=Sandy-
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

Which kinda proves it does not make sense