How far should technology progress during the next game?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:37 am

It should regress! Bronze and dagger-axes for everyone!
No votes
It's only 25 years, let's stick with medieval stasis for an arc.
47%
Scooching a little bit forward seems reasonable. Get some longbows in here.
10%
Let's jump ahead a bit! We have the Bat experimenting with practical tech, so let's see some results!
3%
Let's jump ahead a LOT. There's a whole neighboring empire to draw from and move ahead with.
No votes
Steampunk, baby. We've got whole areas of Yume-do with information that can take us there.
40%

Total votes: 30

Makime

Re: Poll 1: Technological Progress

Post by Makime »

Wu Zhe wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:10 am
Which kinda proves it does not make sense
What are you talking about?

One of the genre defining works of steampunk (The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling) has clockwork super computers and steampowered racecars.

The precursors of the genre include stuff like space-travel (From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne)

The genre isn't exactly known for practical applications of the technology of the era.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

My mistake on that. It's not the steampunk I am used to.

Still does not fit the setting as it stands
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Canary

Post by Canary »

I do want to make note that The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter is also one of the earliest stories one could read as science fiction. It's not that out there. To put it another way: I wouldn't list something in the poll if I couldn't make it work. :)

Whatever people vote for is good in my book.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

One of the oldest scienfi tales actually involves space battles and travelling to other planets haha
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack