The Dream of Jigoku

Re: OOc Chat 4: The Game Begins

Post by The Dream of Jigoku »

I will happily accept all who wish to receive my gifts.
Nightmare | The Shaper of Form | Terrifying

"Beyond the shadow you settle for, there is a miracle illuminated."

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

The Dream of Jigoku wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:27 pm
We'll talk for next game.
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Oh no, GB got got :'( long live GB!
BEST ENDING UNLOCKED: TRANSCENDENT NAME: Mother of Ten Thousand Dreams

Name 3: Great Name / Niche ?: Nameseeker? / Small / A babychild. / theme
Tiny thing carries around a ritual dagger.

Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Chuchu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:47 pm
Oh no, GB got got :'( long live GB!
Oh, I've got *several* ideas for Dawn 5.

They get worse if the Thunders lose.

:twisted:
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

The Dream of Jigoku wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:27 pm
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Hantei Genji wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:45 am
Okay, that hurt. Tyrus, why are you beign so mean to meeeeee?!
Look, he just wants the kill he earned in the graveyard fight! :lol:
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

He does seem to have it in for Genji.

All those explosions on damage.
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

You can roll on Sakkaku or Random.org to pick the die, whatever works for you.
I see people are as trustful of Sakkaku as ever. I don't have it in me to decipher if it's pure superstition, people being worried the rolls are loaded either because of incompetence or malice, or the interface which is simply that bad. Just can't wait for it to be someone else's problem.
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Just superstition and jokes. Same as we mistrusted Orokos, same as we mistrusted IC, same as we would mistrust any other RNG generator in the future.

No actual issue with Sakkaku itself.
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

I curse at my own physical dice when they give me the numbers they did on my Warhammer game on Thursday...

Carries:

Yumi

Post by Yumi »

I mean, it's not like Random.org can do anything that is needed for trackable roleplay. Far as I'm aware.

Can't see it as a dig, considering Random.org is just not a useable tool for our joint purpose in having fair and honest roleplay.

Edit: I suppose dig might give a different vibe, but I don't think it's a show of a lack of trust in the slightest.
Vagrant | Hunter | Loner | Tribal Ways | Follower of the Path | Dream Necklace | Jade Necklace | Great Destiny
What is Expected - Status: None - Glory: 1.0

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Doesn't it make it even weirder then? Like saying "you can roll a physical die on your physical table to determine that"?

There are horror stories of previous games where players went mad at GM for loading the dice when they had no ability to do so, with insane theories about random number generation worked. It was of course never about the dice, simply about some player having reached a high enough level of stress they just needed something, anything, to get mad of.

tl;dr I'm now worried for whoever asked the GM for the permission to roll on Random.org, as well as for the GM who have to deal with them in such a state
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Sugri wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:17 am
Just superstition and jokes. Same as we mistrusted Orokos, same as we mistrusted IC, same as we would mistrust any other RNG generator in the future.

No actual issue with Sakkaku itself.
very much this.

All are better than IC though. It is known.
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Yumi

Post by Yumi »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:36 am

Doesn't it make it even weirder then? Like saying "you can roll a physical die on your physical table to determine that"?

There are horror stories of previous games where players went mad at GM for loading the dice when they had no ability to do so, with insane theories about random number generation worked. It was of course never about the dice, simply about some player having reached a high enough level of stress they just needed something, anything, to get mad of.

tl;dr I'm now worried for whoever asked the GM for the permission to roll on Random.org, as well as for the GM who have to deal with them in such a state
Kind of.

I suspect it was under the idea of, "Oh, I rolled 9 dice but can't roll a nine sided die on Sakkaku so I'll use Random.org to choose between 1-9"

But ultimately that's not verifiable if we wanted it to be, so it's more or less just as likely for anyone to simply choose what dice to drop or what have you.

Ultimately, it depends on how much it matters to everyone.
Vagrant | Hunter | Loner | Tribal Ways | Follower of the Path | Dream Necklace | Jade Necklace | Great Destiny

Yumi

Post by Yumi »

At the point that people are assuming "Raise the Ring by 1" means they take their Agility 4 to 5 when raising their Fire from 3 to 4 without asking a GM, I don't think we are in the realm of trust, respect, or caring.

Makime

Post by Makime »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:57 am
You can roll on Sakkaku or Random.org to pick the die, whatever works for you.
I see people are as trustful of Sakkaku as ever. I don't have it in me to decipher if it's pure superstition, people being worried the rolls are loaded either because of incompetence or malice, or the interface which is simply that bad. Just can't wait for it to be someone else's problem.
My IRL group is suspicious of our GM's favorite d20. Even though it's rolled pretty average from what I have noticed.

It's just that old human instinct to try and impose some meaning and a pattern to pure chance/chaos.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Yumi wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:00 am
I suspect it was under the idea of, "Oh, I rolled 9 dice but can't roll a nine sided die on Sakkaku so I'll use Random.org to choose between 1-9"
I don't think it's the issue there: If someone did pretend they couldn't get a 1-9 value from a d10, I think a one day ban would have to be enforced, as the most charitable explanation would be they really needed a break from the game.

However, for anyone's information, you can very much roll 1d9, or any sort of XdY, just by changing the roller type:

Yeah, I know, interface is not great. Site in dire need of an actual designer.
Yumi wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:03 am
At the point that people are assuming "Raise the Ring by 1" means they take their Agility 4 to 5 when raising their Fire from 3 to 4 without asking a GM, I don't think we are in the realm of trust, respect, or caring.
Likely, most people here acted based on imitating how the players before them had interpreted the rules. I myself was guilty of this "well, if everyone is using it as a portable +1k1, must be how it works" syndrome.

And determining whether the first link of the chain was genuine in their mistake or not... Not worth it. What's done is done.

Yumi

Post by Yumi »

Depends on who you are. Having the respect of your players I think very much matter to any GM. Difference between those who make a habit of asking for permission, and those making a habit of asking for forgiveness.

Not my game, not my witch hunt. But something for folk to consider why they did the things they did, and if they maybe didn't do right by somebody.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Canary wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:11 am
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:14 am
Canary wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:59 am

Apparently I did charge for marriage before. It's a minor goal.
What about those of us who got hitched in-game? ^^;
You got hitched in game. Seems like the time for having to maneuver for that has passed, yeah? XD Though don't be surprised if getting hitched in game doesn't get some, "And you didn't wait to consult us because...?" reactions.

Uuugh, I'm an adult now! I do as I want!
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:17 pm
Uuugh, I'm an adult now! I do as I want!
*runs away with Satsuki and a magnificent horse*
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi