Canary

Re: GM Questions

Post by Canary »

Akodo Moshi wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:51 am
I assume those using the same ronin schools but in different clans would have the same honor?
They have Honor and a Stipend equal to the school with their Kami's name attached

Or equal to whatever their Reputation was, whichever is higher.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Makime

Post by Makime »

Canary wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:02 pm
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:52 am
For returning characters, do they get any update to their stipends?
Returning characters get their stipend in addition to whatever they ended with last game.

Various expenditures have been assumed to come up, so they won't get the full 5 years worth.
What about returning daimyo, if I may ask?

Money and item wise.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Makime Daimyo • Tactician • Commander • Experienced • Once of the Kuwagaya • Overconfident

Canary

Post by Canary »

Makime wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:04 am
What about returning daimyo, if I may ask?

Money and item wise.
Same deal. A lot of money goes through daimyo, not as much stays.

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Shinjo Katsumi

Post by Shinjo Katsumi »

Wondering whether to round up or down when it isn't specified?
Specifically regarding part of the Nezumi Warrior School, tech 1:
"The warrior adds half of his ranks in the Athletics skill to his Armor TN while not in the Full Attack Stance."
Ki-Rin Clan * Bad Cop * Fearless * Destined * Contrary * Rube
Honor: 4.5 | Glory: 3.0 | Status: 1.0
Carries: bronze sword, unimpressive clothes; massive tetsubo more often than is polite; light armor when he anticipates trouble.

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Can we establish the main Otomo holding as being what is, in canon, Jukami Mura?
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Canary

Post by Canary »

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:45 pm
"The warrior adds half of his ranks in the Athletics skill to his Armor TN while not in the Full Attack Stance."
All half-values will round up moving forward. That includes any that apply to NPCs.
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:55 pm
Can we establish the main Otomo holding as being what is, in canon, Jukami Mura?
I don't see why not. Sure.

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Canary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:44 am
Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:45 pm
All half-values will round up moving forward. That includes any that apply to NPCs.
To clarify, this will apply to previously-published School Techniques (eg, Seppun Hunter 2) as well?
Canary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:44 am
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:55 pm
I don't see why not. Sure.
Thank you!
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)

Canary

Post by Canary »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:58 am
To clarify, this will apply to previously-published School Techniques (eg, Seppun Hunter 2) as well?
Yes.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Would it make it easier for the GMs if those with potential for Thunderhood (Great Destiny or Dark Fate) add it in their signature?
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:20 pm
Would it make it easier for the GMs if those with potential for Thunderhood (Great Destiny or Dark Fate) add it in their signature?
We'll be keeping a Secret GM List (tm) (and could even grant destiny or fate depending on how things go), but it would definitely be helpful for us to see that at a glance when we're going through threads.

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

As time and circumstances permit, O, Mighty GMs: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 44&start=4

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Weapons gained from Inheritance do not give a bonus to attack or damage rolls - that is a given.

However would they count as nemurani in terms of overcoming certain resistances?
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Canary

Post by Canary »

Sugri wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:43 pm
Weapons gained from Inheritance do not give a bonus to attack or damage rolls - that is a given.

However would they count as nemurani in terms of overcoming certain resistances?
No. That would be a custom version of Sacred Weapon.

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Never played shugenja with blood casting rules, so I've got a few questions!

1) Spilling extra blood for Raises applies to *all* Raises, even those to reduce casting time? Or only to Raises for effects (those listed under each spell).

2) The Errata/Reminders thread has:
Spellcraft wrote: Characters may not Importune for spells during Event threads. Known spells as noted below in the Spells section are exempted from this. This only applies to shugenja with the Elemental Casting ability, who need to Importune and know spell lists.
Spellcasting wrote: Pure Blood Magic does not use scrolls, as they are making offerings instead of prayers. Instead, they are functionally using blood to "fast importune" them. As such, they have access to spells of any level they can cast, provided they offer the requisite blood.
If I understand this correctly, Spells Known will only be relevant for characters using Elemental Casting?

Does that mean blood casters can use any spell in the books at any time they choose to, both in events and in combat?

EDIT: While at that - is there a list of spells (or books) that won't be allowed, other than those specifically mentioned as not existing yet or changed?

Also: for school abilities that reference your Spells Known, I assume we can still get a list of spells known, even if it doesn't really matter for anything other than the ability itself?

Thanks!
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Canary

Post by Canary »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:39 pm
Never played shugenja with blood casting rules, so I've got a few questions!

1) Spilling extra blood for Raises applies to *all* Raises, even those to reduce casting time? Or only to Raises for effects (those listed under each spell).

2) The Errata/Reminders thread has:
Spellcraft wrote: Characters may not Importune for spells during Event threads. Known spells as noted below in the Spells section are exempted from this. This only applies to shugenja with the Elemental Casting ability, who need to Importune and know spell lists.
Spellcasting wrote: Pure Blood Magic does not use scrolls, as they are making offerings instead of prayers. Instead, they are functionally using blood to "fast importune" them. As such, they have access to spells of any level they can cast, provided they offer the requisite blood.
If I understand this correctly, Spells Known will only be relevant for characters using Elemental Casting?

Does that mean blood casters can use any spell in the books at any time they choose to, both in events and in combat?

EDIT: While at that - is there a list of spells (or books) that won't be allowed, other than those specifically mentioned as not existing yet or changed?

Also: for school abilities that reference your Spells Known, I assume we can still get a list of spells known, even if it doesn't really matter for anything other than the ability itself?

Thanks!
1) All raises. Bleeding makes you less survivable in combat, so I don't see it as too nuts. Don't bleed yourselves dry, people. Unless you do it for a truly spectacular heroic sacrifice scene, then go for it. Fluff rules all.

2) Spells are only available up to Mastery Level 4 to begin with. I am going to give my players the trust to use the sense god gave gravel and make sure the spell is appropriate to the time period and not wildly unbalanced. Some of us still remember Kyuden Agasha. Ask me or one of the other GMs if you're unsure. If it references, say, Osano-wo or whatever, it doesn't exist. You're spellcasters, not time travelers. Please don't make me go through every book and make a spell list.

The exception to spells that will only exist in the future is importuning a spell using help from a Dreamstone. Shugenja may Importune a spell of up to Mastery Level 5 using a Dreamstone, as well as spells that reference nonexistent historic figures.

Re: School abilities, yes, you are correct.

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Do you need anything special to be able to purchase Lore:Yume-Jigoku?

Relatedly, for the new Crane path, is that the Lore that's required? My understanding is that Shadowlands don't exist anymore.
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:09 pm
Do you need anything special to be able to purchase Lore:Yume-Jigoku?

Relatedly, for the new Crane path, is that the Lore that's required? My understanding is that Shadowlands don't exist anymore.
I was under the impression that Shadowlands was stand in for all things evil and corrupt, but if I am wrong then we can change the skill to Yume-Jigoku as that group specifically is created to fight those entities.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

On the above, the map still shows the Shadowlands, although much reduced. So I think it's still there?

It would be nice to know if Lore: Yume-Jigoku and Shadowlands are different things or covered by a single skill though, that's a good point!

Also another lore question. Is the Scorpion tradition if always wearing a mask already a thing? I don't quite remember how that worked and how it came around if it is a thing, and couldnt find much on a quick search on the history thread.

Thanks!
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

At this point, the Scorpion Mask thing is not set in stone.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »