Re: Surprise Party Planning

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Saru Ranmaru wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:09 am
For all of the stages, the boi has:
4k3
4k3-5 (Light Armor)
7k4

So not great. But he can run in and flail with TWO SWORDS.

Edit: That being said, my idea for the last roll is memeworthy: Athletics / Strength to entice the Harbinger into fighting.
Tae-soo can do that Athletics/Strength rather well, actually, if that works XD

And he can boost Strength for a while, including reasonably others if needed although that's more expensive wounds-wise. But that means he could make Ranmaru even buffer :D
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:59 am
Jumped in as I wasn't in any combats before. That said, could keep as alternate or active depending on what others feel like.

Phone posting and in a bit of a rush so I'm not sure I understood the rolls - do we have to roll all 3? Only 1?

7k4+4 in Investigation and 7k3 in Stealth. Could maybe help with spells during part 1 if necessary (and that'd probably be the best bet for roll 3).

Also I should spend XP I guess :roll:
I believe Per GM questions Everyone does stealth, then 1 person per roll on the other two.
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Anjing wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:06 am
I believe Per GM questions Everyone does stealth, then 1 person per roll on the other two.
Huh. Just found that.

I guess 7k4+4 Investigation and maybe 6k4+4 Athletics/Strength (or 8k6+4 if buffing beforehand) are my best bets.

I guess Athletics could be higher with XP - was planning to raise Athletics after all :p

I can also see about spells maybe helping with Stealth later. No spells that do that directly iirc, but there are things that might be worth asking about.

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
DescriptionTheme

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Sora could potentially Lucid Dream somebody's Agility up to help them sneak.

(He also has a Kharmic tie to Kumori, so if she joins in, I won't be needing a self-boost to hit things)
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Any other ideas for the Surprise! step? I have something too. Name Lore or sincerity to enrage 'er :3

Am going to try something to mass Stealth us. Maybe.
BEST ENDING UNLOCKED: TRANSCENDENT NAME: Mother of Ten Thousand Dreams

Name 3: Great Name / Niche ?: Nameseeker? / Small / A babychild. / theme
Tiny thing carries around a ritual dagger.

Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Looking through Spells, I could reasonably make a case to cast Quiescence of Air to help everyone with Stealth.

Quiescence of Air

Ring/Mastery: Air 2 (Wards)
Range: Caster
Area of Effect: 30 foot diameter sphere
Duration: 10 Rounds
Raises: Range (change to 50' for 2 Raises), Duration (+3 Rounds per Raise)
Security in communication is of paramount importance in many situations, and shugenja often find themselves in situations where a conversation is intended to be completely private, or when they cannot allow themselves to be interrupted by extraneous sounds. By placating the spirits of the Air, a shugenja can convince them to create a barrier against sounds, a bubble of silence through which sound will not pass. The spherical sound-barrier is normally centered around the caster, although with greater effort it can also be centered on a physical object up to fifty feet way. Once this spell is cast, the kami will not allow any sound to enter or leave this bubble, creating absolute privacy for anyone inside of the space. Once created, the bubble of silence will not move, even if the caster for the target object relocates.

Characters on one side of a Quiescence of Air spell's barrier gain two Free Raises on Stealth Rolls made against characters on the other side.

DescriptionTheme

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Passed on a nice triple 9 (which is way more symbolical here than any sort of exploding 10) on my side, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Anjing who failed by a small margin might appreciate the magical buff though.
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

I'll ask if that'd be allowed just to make sure, but sounds like a good idea

Although if I can cast just one thing during phase 1 (which would be reasonable) we'd have to choose which option is better!

DescriptionTheme

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

For the Surprise! roll, as this can be any roll, and I guess the statistical difference between our respective best dice pool isn't that high, I would say the first person with a silly awesome idea to use theirs should just roll.

Like, if someone has a ton of ranks in Game: Sadane they had been waiting to use all that game, go for it.
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Ok made it nine hours post event posting but the urge to be there when (if) my ex character dies is too strong to hold back anymore.

I'll take an Alternate slot though so anyone not in a fight yet can go first.
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

If we do go with Athletics/Strength (or anything using Strength for that matter) and I can cast more than one spell during stage 1, *that* could make a decent difference. Rolling 8k6 or 9k6 pretty much guarantees hitting TN 25. The Strength boost lasts for a few rounds too, so could be useful later.

Otherwise, 7k4-5 would be 63%, 7k4+4 would be 96%. So a decent difference there. What are our other best rolls again?
Last edited by Haka Tae-soo on Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DescriptionTheme

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Welp, there goes my Kharmic tie doing anything :lol:

But no matter, Sora's going full Alternate on this. Hang back with Sugri, Chuchu, and... whoever else opted for alternate

What are our other best rolls again?
Sora's best pool if Kenjutsu. Agility is the most natural partner, but if anyone has some loopy idea for Stamina or Willpower, the mechanical result is the same 9k4, potentially buffed to 10k6 if he dumps both Void on it.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

I would really like to try the Surprise!, though will probably need some mechanical help.

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Chuchu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:36 pm
I would really like to try the Surprise!, though will probably need some mechanical help.
What would the idea be? :) Might be worth asking Canary if you've got an idea of how that could work... or we could brainstorm!

Tae-soo's attempt would be basically opening up his robe and flexing... following Ranmaru's guidance IC XD

That 7k4+4 has a very decent chance to succeed too. But up to you folks!

DescriptionTheme

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Chuchu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:36 pm
Here's your Lucid Dreaming boost. Felt only natural for Tiger to help Rat as a thank back for the time Rat ate the net under which Tiger had been captured.

Wait, different Rat.

Anyway, go crazy.

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:57 pm
What would the idea be? :) Might be worth asking Canary if you've got an idea of how that could work... or we could brainstorm!

Tae-soo's attempt would be basically opening up his robe and flexing... following Ranmaru's guidance IC XD

That 7k4+4 has a very decent chance to succeed too. But up to you folks!
Poking the Harbinger where it hurts and getting it riled up so it doesn't think straight. It's obsessed with humanity, but humanity very clearly doesn't want it. Hammer into that weak spot and we might be able to keep it focused on us.
Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:01 pm
Here's your Lucid Dreaming boost. Felt only natural for Tiger to help Rat as a thank back for the time Rat ate the net under which Tiger had been captured.

Wait, different Rat.

Anyway, go crazy.
Danku ^^ We shall always be allies!

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"You had five years to make these people worship you, and we turned most of them around in a week."

Carries:

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Chuchu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:26 pm
Poking the Harbinger where it hurts and getting it riled up so it doesn't think straight. It's obsessed with humanity, but humanity very clearly doesn't want it. Hammer into that weak spot and we might be able to keep it focused on us.
Waiting on Canary's answer to how many spells one can cast during phase 1, but depending on that and what your approach ends up being TS may be able to help/boost you. We'll see :)

DescriptionTheme

Chuchu

Post by Chuchu »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:27 pm
"You had five years to make these people worship you, and we turned most of them around in a week."
Yep, my train of thought here. ^^

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

Since Birb wants to know order and most of the alternates have already declared a preference:

Actives: (No particular order)
Reiko Ohta
Kaijarisuigyo
X
X

Alternates: (In order)
X
Sugri
Sora
Second to last alternate
Chuchu
Would like to be last alternate
Last edited by Sugri on Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099