Reiko Ohta

Re: GM Questions

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Is the 3rd roll (Finding Your Way) for the EE event meant to be Hunting-keep-Investigation? As in using Investigation skill like a trait? Or is it saying you use either skill with Perception?
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Is the entire village consider Yume-do for the sake of Lucid Dreaming?

Are villagers and effigies considered tainted for the effects of spells or techniques?
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Yet another Lucid Dreaming question:

How would work something like summoning a tiger to ride? Pure fluff?
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Also

Do protect the villagers or protect the villagers from themselves count as a skirmish?
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Rereading Lucid Dreaming...

As written, it could be interpreted as only affecting the ring itself and ring related values (like Spellcasting, or Wounds if Earth is chosen), similar to how Chosen by the Oracles doesn't impact traits.

People have been using it as a walking +1k1 as far as mechanics are concerned, and my own impression is that this is supposed to be the intent. But don't hurt to check.
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Canary

Post by Canary »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:51 am
Okay, one more question:

I see people rolling absolutely crazy high stuff everywhere so... What are the limits of Lucid Dreaming? Once per thread?
Complex Action, lasts 2 turn, effects of raising rings don't stack. You can have like Fire 3 instead of 2 for two turns, then you need to turn it on again. It will not raise your Fire above 3 even if someone else does it to you.
Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:14 am
For "Go Time" event:
Canary wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:16 am
Escape!: Now that you’ve found the opening, you need to go as fast as possible. PCs must choose one of four rolls to make – Defense/Reflexes to protect someone else, Battle (Mass Battle)/Intelligence to direct the group, an Attack Roll to beat the forces of Yume-Jigoku back, or a Athletics (Running)/Stamina roll to make a break for it. TN 20.
Defense/Reflexes is described as "to protect someone else" in this roll. If I use Defense here,

1. Can I call a raise to make sure Shizuku escapes? (Ayako has promised to get her out of Blue Lotus Village.)
2. Can I call a raise to help another PC succeed at this roll?
1. Sure.
2. Uh... sure, why not? Adds +5 to their roll total.
Reiko Ohta wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:42 am
Is the 3rd roll (Finding Your Way) for the EE event meant to be Hunting-keep-Investigation? As in using Investigation skill like a trait? Or is it saying you use either skill with Perception?
I was rushing through it while incredibly tired. I meant Investigation (Notice)/Perception if it's the listening one.
Akodo Kenji wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:47 am
Is the entire village consider Yume-do for the sake of Lucid Dreaming?

Are villagers and effigies considered tainted for the effects of spells or techniques?
Lucid Dreaming: Yes
Villagers: No
Effigies: Yes
Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:48 am
Yet another Lucid Dreaming question:

How would work something like summoning a tiger to ride? Pure fluff?
Yeah, fluff that shit
Akodo Kenji wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:52 am
Also

Do protect the villagers or protect the villagers from themselves count as a skirmish?
Yes.
Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:19 am
Rereading Lucid Dreaming...

As written, it could be interpreted as only affecting the ring itself and ring related values (like Spellcasting, or Wounds if Earth is chosen), similar to how Chosen by the Oracles doesn't impact traits.

People have been using it as a walking +1k1 as far as mechanics are concerned, and my own impression is that this is supposed to be the intent. But don't hurt to check.
Yup, +1k1 on both Traits.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Canary

Post by Canary »

Reiko Ohta wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:42 am
My previous answer was wrong it was not the one I was thinking of. Hunting (Trailblazing)/Perception

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Yumi

Post by Yumi »

What is the effective result of the "The Way Out" event? To be determined or should it be affecting things that happen later?
Vagrant | Hunter | Loner | Tribal Ways | Follower of the Path | Dream Necklace | Jade Necklace | Great Destiny
What is Expected - Status: None - Glory: 1.0

Canary

Post by Canary »

Yumi wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:32 am
What is the effective result of the "The Way Out" event? To be determined or should it be affecting things that happen later?
The TNs are already set and people will freak out if they change. It's narratively important.

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

Canary wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:47 am
Yumi wrote:
The TNs are already set and people will freak out if they change. It's narratively important.
I think the question was more in line of.

"If I fail find the way out, can I post in the following threads or am I stuck?"

Not if any tn's changed.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Akodo Kenji wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:51 am
Canary wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:47 am
Yumi wrote:
I think the question was more in line of.

"If I fail find the way out, can I post in the following threads or am I stuck?"

Not if any tn's changed.
Ohhhh, thank you for the clarification. No, you don't get lost if you fail, you just don't find the weak point in the fog barrier. You can still get back.

Yumi

Post by Yumi »

It was partially about that, but also more of what happens when you succeed? Is it an Irish Goodbye where you just slink out of your own accord without going through the later event?
Vagrant | Hunter | Loner | Tribal Ways | Follower of the Path | Dream Necklace | Jade Necklace | Great Destiny

Canary

Post by Canary »

Yumi wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:21 am
It was partially about that, but also more of what happens when you succeed? Is it an Irish Goodbye where you just slink out of your own accord without going through the later event?
No, it's a matter of finding where it will open soonest and reporting back. You can't get through yet.

Yumi

Post by Yumi »

Gotcha. So, is this a required event for our joint success then? I'm trying to parse the stakes and drives behind things.

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Not a big deal, but figured worth asking! Sorry!

https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 373#p18373

EDIT: While at that!

For Surprise Planning - I have at least two ideas involving spells going on, possibly three. So a few questions:

1) If I cast Quiescence of Air centered on the Harbinger (assuming she's within 50 feet), or maybe centered on myself (assuming everyone can stay within a 30 feet radius), could that help the other PCs with their Stealth rolls, granting the 2 Raises mentioned in the spell?

2) Could an Illusion spell like Mists of Illusion (creating something like a wall covering the side the Thunders are at) or Way of Deception (placing an image of TS right in front of the harbonger) be used for Roll 3? If so, how would that work? Otherwise there's another idea I've been toying with...

3) Is there a limit to the number of spells one could cast during step 1? Only 1? 2? Something else?

Thanks!
Last edited by Haka Tae-soo on Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Apologies if already addressed, but for https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... =101&t=974, does the Battlefield count as a wilderness environment?
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Sugri

Post by Sugri »

For Surprise Party Investigation is it a roll with multiple attempts across us if there's a failure or is it a one and done and a failure means no surprise round?
Invinda • Guru • Archer • Destined • Cursed
Integrity: Exceptional • Status: None • Glory: 1.5

Carries: Simple (if unusual) clothes, bow (unstrung unless expecting trouble), quiver of arrows, a simple knife

Description: https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 2099#p2099

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Sugri wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:55 pm
For Surprise Party Investigation is it a roll with multiple attempts across us if there's a failure or is it a one and done and a failure means no surprise round?
Actually I guess the same question is valid for roll 3. If the first one to attempt something fails, can someone else step in and try? Or is it one and done, with failure meaning the Harbinger will keep their attention on the Thunders as well?

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
DescriptionTheme

Canary

Post by Canary »

Yumi wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:10 am
Gotcha. So, is this a required event for our joint success then? I'm trying to parse the stakes and drives behind things.
It's not strictly required. You could get through anywhere once the barrier drops entirely, but this will be the easiest and fastest way. More people will get hurt in other areas.
Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:57 am
Not a big deal, but figured worth asking! Sorry!

https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... 373#p18373

EDIT: While at that!

For Surprise Planning - I have at least two ideas involving spells going on, possibly three. So a few questions:

1) If I cast Quiescence of Air centered on the Harbinger (assuming she's within 50 feet), or maybe centered on myself (assuming everyone can stay within a 30 feet radius), could that help the other PCs with their Stealth rolls, granting the 2 Raises mentioned in the spell?

2) Could an Illusion spell like Mists of Illusion (creating something like a wall covering the side the Thunders are at) or Way of Deception (placing an image of TS right in front of the harbonger) be used for Roll 3? If so, how would that work? Otherwise there's another idea I've been toying with...

3) Is there a limit to the number of spells one could cast during step 1? Only 1? 2? Something else?

Thanks!
1: Sure.
2: No. IIRC you're trying to get her attention to the area in roll three.
3: one spell may be cast for each roll in part 1 if you want.
Otomo Akutou wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:13 pm
Apologies if already addressed, but for https://dayofthunder.fallenash.com/view ... =101&t=974, does the Battlefield count as a wilderness environment?
Sure, why not? You're in the woods.
Sugri wrote:
If one person fails to find a good spot, another person can try. You just need to succeed once for someone to find something.
Haka Tae-soo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:58 pm
Sugri wrote:
Actually I guess the same question is valid for roll 3. If the first one to attempt something fails, can someone else step in and try? Or is it one and done, with failure meaning the Harbinger will keep their attention on the Thunders as well?
Same for this as above. As long as someone succeeds, you're good.

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Canary wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:06 pm
2: No. IIRC you're trying to get her attention to the area in roll three.
Thanks for the answers!

On this one - yup, the idea is drawing her attention to us instead of the Thunders. To clarify: the idea with the illusions would be to either 'prevent her from seeing the Thunders', so she looks elsewhere (and therefore to us), or 'placing a TS Illusion right in front of her' to call her attention.

If that still wouldn't do it, then all fine! :)

DescriptionTheme