Otomo Akutou

Re: OOC Chat 2: Traitors

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:19 am
The prequel trilogy is the movie series that keeps on giving when it comes to memes.
I wonder what it says about the collective culture of the internet that it is so.

I wonder if, for people around my age, it is just another iteration of the traditional longing for the days of early adulthood, when life was full of promise. (And, for my early Millennial self, a time between forever wars, before the stinging series of once-in-a-lifetime events that come in such succession now as to occasion no comment even if the familiarity hasn't made them any easier to bear.)

But perhaps I am not in the best of places in mind and heart right now to think upon such things.

It will be good to pretend to be a magical samurai for a while.

I look forward to it, and to playing alongside y'all once again.

Thank you for having me.
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Helps that they're an auteur vision from Lucas, rather than some committee led Star Wars Story. Auteur works will always be more memeable because they have that mix of genius and risk taking. Kind of like how early CGI was often that way.
Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Ryoshun Huan

Post by Ryoshun Huan »

Reiko Ohta wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:44 am
Helps that they're an auteur vision from Lucas, rather than some committee led Star Wars Story. Auteur works will always be more memeable because they have that mix of genius and risk taking. Kind of like how early CGI was often that way.
Bat * Soul of Taochusu * Ishiken * Destined to Die * Haunted by the Chusu Tribe
Honor: 3.5 | Status: 1.0 | Glory: 3.0
On person: Robes, daisho, astrological compass, fan

Makime Omoi

Post by Makime Omoi »

I can't think of a good song for my character.
Lion Clan • Courtier • Historian • Great Destiny • Going Blind • Warrior at Heart • Widower • Father

Carries: Wakizashi, smoking pipe, cup, plain sandalwood chopsticks, coin purse, an old but well cared for scroll satchel decorated with tribal art
Character Profile: Here
Fiction: Home Repairs

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

For myself, I'm thinking a piece by Cage.

4'33"
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)

Reiko Ohta

Post by Reiko Ohta »

Spider ๑ Bushi ๑ Scout ๑ Scholar ๑ Doctor ๑ Short ๑ Wiry ๑ Curious ๑ Archer
Honor - Untrustworthy | Status - 1.0 | Glory - 3.0 (Character Profile)
Has: daisho, daikyu and quiver, shoulder bag with testing items in it, occasionally accompanied by a pony named Kinboshi

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Ainuri wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 pm
Hello.
Why hello there, outlander!
Bayushi Norikage wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:32 pm
Be careful on your toes, you might trip. And land on a bunch of knives. Horrible accident.
Better than if you slip down a flight of stairs and land on a naginata every step of the way...
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
The prequel trilogy is the movie series that keeps on giving when it comes to memes.
I mean, I suppose they have to be good for something...
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

The prequels had a good story and a relevent message...under all the poor dialogue and transitions
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Wu Zhe wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:42 am
The prequels had a good story and a relevent message...under all the poor dialogue and transitions
Let's not forget the stereotypes!

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Wu Zhe wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:42 am
The prequels had a good story
Matter of opinion there...
and a relevent message...
"Everyone in the Republic has the intelligence of a steamed prune"?
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:53 am
"Everyone in the Republic has the intelligence of a steamed prune"?
There's a reason ad populum is a thing...

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Everything dies, but love.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Kai

Post by Kai »

Even love dies... but hope... hope never dies.
*Flutist *Archer *Silent
Fatigue 0

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

Ai am Legend.
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Han-Hei wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:18 pm
Ai am Legend.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Otomo Akutou wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:24 am
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
I wonder what it says about the collective culture of the internet that it is so.
This is just my take on it based on my observations as a millennial who partake a lot in meme-culture.

Most of us Millennials grew up with Star Wars in some way or another. Myself, my parents loved the movies and we owned the VHS copies, which were played on repeat in the household many times. The announcement of *new* Star Wars was like the biggest happening of our lives at that point (we'd have to wait a bit more before we'd get the amazing Lord of the Rings-trilogy).

And this was hype in the time before social media and a lot of internet-culture, so leaks and spoilers were pretty rare. All we had to go on was the teasers, trailers, and the music video for Duel of the Fates on MTV.

Then Phantom Menace came out, and it was... ok? The youngest parts of audiences liked it because as predicted they liked child Anakin and Jar-Jar, while the young were a bit too close to teen-years so it felt a bit stupid? (mind you the biggest issue that TPM has is that it was boring with all the minute details of politics, but hey who cares! Lightsabers!)

Now that millennials have had some time between the prequels, so it's not so much "ugh they're so bad" anymore but instead "haha so dumb", combined with meme-culture, it's just a perfect breeding ground. And we keep finding new ways to meme about the prequels too. :D
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:16 pm
Everything dies, but love.
It's true. We can't wait to you everyone ours. <3
Nightmare | Large | Beautiful | Terrifying | Former Human

"You should be terrified of them, Children of Amaterasu. An infinite potential, to be heroes, to grow strong, to become monsters. It's so beautiful! One day, they could eat stars."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Revenge of the Sith is amazing, and I will die on that hill.

But yeah it's so dumb now it's funny and the movies are chock full of memeable moments that resonate with pop culture, just about everyone has seen or heard of them which tends to lend itself well to being a universal meme for the masses. I never took the Star Wars movies seriously, it's pulp scifi adventure western with samurai laser swords, and that's all I ever need f it. It can be done seriously, it can be dark, and gritty but that's not the sweet spot the series really lives in.

Plus Hayden Christensen really delivered great performances along with Ewan McGregor who also seem to be at the center of most of the memes.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:28 pm
Revenge of the Sith is amazing, and I will die on that hill.

But yeah it's so dumb now it's funny and the movies are chock full of memeable moments that resonate with pop culture, just about everyone has seen or heard of them which tends to lend itself well to being a universal meme for the masses. I never took the Star Wars movies seriously, it's pulp scifi adventure western with samurai laser swords, and that's all I ever need f it. It can be done seriously, it can be dark, and gritty but that's not the sweet spot the series really lives in.

Plus Hayden Christensen really delivered great performances along with Ewan McGregor who also seem to be at the center of most of the memes.
I like Revenge of the Sith in two ways; one is the final journey of Anakin into Darth Vader. The other one is a love for how memeable the entire movie is. xD

But yeah, I agree with you!
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Haka Soju

Post by Haka Soju »

There we go, now I live.
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Spiritsinger • Tribal • One-Eyed • Destined • Terrible Mother

Carries: Extravagant Clothing, Tanto, Bone Comb (in hair), Chopsticks, Fan, Coin Purse