Canary

OOc Chat 4: The Game Begins

Post by Canary »

Shiba sat back from his table, surveying the seemingly never-ending mass of reports, recommendations, information, and everything else that had been coming in lately. The reports regarding madness and people changing were growing. He had as many of the Imperial families as he could out protecting people where it was needed most and providing aid, but it was never enough. This wasn't something easy to fight directly as it was. He trusted Shinsei to keep his promise that the Day of Thunder, as he called it, would be the end, either for or against them. It didn't make the day to day work keeping up with the needs of the Empire easier, though.

It didn't make his chest ache any less with each cold, factual report about a village being terrorized by someone just because this thing used their anxiety to get into their head.

That was the worst part. In very few cases was any of what happened the person's fault. They were victims as much as the victims that suffered at their hands. A major part of the issue that the legions and magistrates weren't ready for was the amount of just talking people down and reassuring they'd had to do. The concepts of honor they'd begun to instill in the Empire helped - the alignment with the precepts of Heaven seemed to offer protection. Fortunately, It was one of Jiyo's strongest virtues, and one she had instilled in those under her command. He just wished she didn't neglect herself so much for it. Another heartache, to watch the person second only to Yuzuru to him suffer.

He was beginning to feel tired, watching so many around him suffer. It was times like this, where he could most deeply feel the influence of Ningen-do on him. The Realm of Mortals, and his own mortality now alongside them, a reminder of the destiny they now shared. It was a strange comfort.

There was a scratching at the door, and he rose, calling, "One moment." He took a few minutes to make himself presentable - he hadn't even had a chance to dress properly yet - before answering the door to see Shosuro, Bayushi's daughter, behind it.

He couldn't help but smile. "I don't see you often, niece. Please, come inside." He stepped away and farther into the room, moving the papers aside to pour tea.

She bowed deeply. "Thank you for your hospitality, uncle. Unfortunately, I come bearing news."

"I expected so," he replied with a nod, keeping the sigh out of his voice. "Come, sit with me and tell me your news."

Shosuro nodded and settled down to begin.

~~~

Shiba sat at a different table now. Just large enough for the family - Yuzuru, Jiyo, and four girls. There was an empty spot next to Tae was empty, usually reserved for her twin, Kumori. Normally her absence wasn't particularly notable. Aside from training with the Bat, she often tended to go her own way. He'd always loved that independence and adventurous spirit. He still did, but it was a stress when it became recklessness. Like now.

"I've gathered everyone today because of news from Bayushi," he explained after a deep, calming breath.

Yuzuru sighed, "Always the bearer of good tidings." The fox next to him rested its chin on the table, seemingly watching the proceedings.

"What was the report?" Jiyo asked, ever serious and to the point. "You wouldn't gather us in person unless it was important."

"It's... potentially important for the Empire, and certainly personally important for all of us," he explained.

On his right, Yuzuru sat up straighter. Next to Jiyo on his left, Tokiwa went pale and glanced toward the empty seat at the table. Next to Yuzuru, Shikibu pressed her knuckles to her lips. Shiba closed his eyes and nodded to their silent conclusion. "... Yes. The last report from Bayushi's agent put Kumori's direction as headed toward Blue Lotus Village. She's likely there by now."

Jiyo kept up her stoic expression, but she'd gone as pale a Tokiwa. Her voice contained nary a tremble, business-like despite the distress at the news that seemed obvious to someone who knew her as well as he did. "Why is she there? She can't become a Thunder."

"Maybe," Yuzuru mused to his right. He didn't look any happier, but it wasn't surprising that he was thoughtful about it. "She's always had a Destiny clinging to her. And she can be unpredictable."

"That's the problem here, isn't it?" She sighed.

"It gets worse," Shiba continued. "Those afflicted by Yume-Jigoku have begun moving."

Jiyo's eyes narrowed beside him. Her tactical mind was already assessing the situation. "... They're moving toward the village, aren't they?"

Shiba nodded, expression grim. "Yes. They're starting to surround it. The village itself seems to be surrounded by a barrier of some kind. Only a few people can enter, and no one has been observed leaving yet."

"Not until it's over," the blind seer said. It was stated as a fact, and Shiba didn't doubt it for a moment.

Jiyo didn't seem to, either. "If that's the case, then as soon as they can leave, they'll be destroyed. Not just your daughter, but potentially all of the people there."

Shiba resisted the urge to sigh at the pronoun. Now wasn't the time to try again at convincing her that she was part of the family, as well. He continued, "Indeed." He looked to Jiyo. "Gather whatever we can of our forces and whoever is willing to volunteer. We need to go there as quickly as we can and create an opening for them when the time comes."

Jiyo and Yuzuru were nearly simultaneous in their response, "What do you mean 'we'?"

Shiba nodded to them. "Exactly what it sounds like. The Kami didn't just promise the people of this land prosperity. We promised that we would defend them. Shinjo and Hantei faced Jigoku. Now my turn has come. It's not just my responsibility to Rokugan, but it is my responsibility as a father."

He looked to Tokiwa. "I have trained you thoroughly for this. Take up my mantle while I'm gone." He looked to Yuzuru. "Please advise her. I know that you hold the good of the people at heart as much as I do. I trust you with the Empire."

He looked finally to Jiyo. "You'll come with me. We'll need your skills to save our daughter."

Toward the end of the table, Tae suddenly spoke up, slapping her hands down on it, surprising everyone. She tended toward quiet seriousness, doing her best to be the perfect daughter. Outbursts were vanishingly rare. But she and Kumori... "I want to come join you! She's my twin, I can't just leave her there."

"Tae..." He started, but before he could finish, she was in a kowtowing position.

"Father, please..." She said, muffled by the ground, her voice cracking a little.

Jiyo sighed, "Tae, please have some dignity before the Emperor."

Shiba stared at her as she rose onto her knees, head still down in supplication. After a moment of silence, her let out a breath. "Tae..."

She looked up, expression hard and determined, even with her eyes and nose a little red. He couldn't help but smile a little. He wasn't sure which of her other parents that expression resembled more in their stubborn moments. "You can come. You have a right to be there. But you need to follow orders and stay safe, do you understand? I don't need to worry about two daughters."

She straightened and nodded. "Yes, of course!"

Shikibu spoke up, quiet as she always was, "Since Yuzuru-otousama's attention will be divided and Jiyo-okaasama and you will be leaving, I assume Osakabe and I will be seeing to our respective families more."

Shiba nodded to her. "Precisely."

Finally, he rose. "It's time to go prepare."

The others nodded and rose, though Yuzuru touched his hand and he paused. "Just a moment." The rest paused, then left one by one as they realized they were waiting for that. Once they were gone, the blind seer turned fully toward him with a frown. "No self-sacrificing nonsense, all right? You've been practically working yourself to the bone the past few years as it is. Having two of the most self-sacrificing idiots I know on one campaign feels like a bad omen."

Shiba smiled, leaning down to kiss him and take him in. His amazing husband, probably the most sensible of any of them.

"I promise," Shiba assured with a smile. "I'll do my best to avoid self-sacrificing nonsense."

"You'd better," he replied, tone grumpy and stubborn. He accepted the lingering embrace that came after, though. Shiba felt him lean into it and smiled, content for a moment in this chaotic time.

Once they pulled back, the seer sighed and waved him off. "Now go on, go save our ridiculous kid from getting herself killed."

Shiba smiled, and with one last, quick kiss, left the room.

Yuzuru sighed once he left, sitting down and leaning his elbows on the table. "I don't like this..."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the opening day of game. Weather and events will go up shortly.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Jiyo Sora

Re: OOc Chat 4: The Game Begins

Post by Jiyo Sora »

ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Makime Omoi

Post by Makime Omoi »

OK, is anyone missing or dead yet?
Lion Clan • Courtier • Historian • Great Destiny • Going Blind • Warrior at Heart • Widower • Father

Carries: Wakizashi, smoking pipe, cup, plain sandalwood chopsticks, coin purse, an old but well cared for scroll satchel decorated with tribal art
Character Profile: Here
Fiction: Home Repairs

Ainuri

Post by Ainuri »

Hello again.
Outlander * Bear Power * Potent Spirit * Naturist * They

bear claw (bisento), nanook hide

narrates in tribal epic; read all 'l's like 'r's and no consonant is left unpronounced

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Makime Omoi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:11 am
Uncle Sora has not yet begun playing his delightful Disappearing Samurai game.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Shout out to Yuzuru for keeping an entire family full of people whose first instinct is to set themselves on fire to keep other people warm in line.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Please send all spousal applications to my attache, Doji Hikaru.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Makime Omoi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:11 am
Does anyone *need* to be?
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:35 am
... hey!
Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:30 am
Nanzi Ai wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:35 am
... hey!
Welcome to Duty, Hikaru-san!

Carries:

Otomo Akutou

Post by Otomo Akutou »

Yeah, matchmaking's one I'm glad not to have.
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

Dooty.
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Han-Hei wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:43 pm
Dooty.
So, if anyone fancies marrying a masked ronin, I happen to have an in with her father...

Carries:

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Shiba gonna die.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

Not if I kill him first!

…?
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Han-Hei wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:57 pm
Not if I kill him first!

…?
Dowry includes first-class tickets to the Burning Sands!

Carries:

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

With all the stories recently told to him by the olds, this is kinda what I'm imagining for Hikaru in the briefing scene:

Crane Clan * Romantic, but also Stay Away From Me * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer * The Impossible Dream

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

*points at Nozomi*

“This one fucks that one.”

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru »

:o

Hikaru doesn't know that!!!