What should the focus of next game's miai be?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:36 pm

A general miai where most people are trying to get married, with the Crown Princess as the central focus.
86%
A miai just focused on competing for the Crown Princess' hand.
14%

Total votes: 22

Canary

Poll for Next Game

Post by Canary »

I found myself having thoughts, so give me your opinions. This isn't conclusive, but will help influence how I set things up.
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Architect of Horror | Experienced 3

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Otomo Akutou

Re: Poll for Next Game

Post by Otomo Akutou »

...and the Crown Princess enters the fray to stay single.
Otomo Akutou, Stag Clan Hunter
Status 1.0, Glory 4.0, Honor as Expected
Crafty * Destined * Heroic * Silent * Wary * Cursed * Disdained * Driven * Phobic
Commonly with jade finger, daisho, standard clothes, pack; hat and cloak as weather appropriate
In peril, jade finger, daisho, yumi, quiver, arrows, ashigaru armor, rations, cash (the pack will wait)
When traveling, all of it

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

What's the time jump, potentially?
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Hisomu Tadaka

Post by Hisomu Tadaka »

I'm not sure the difference between the two.

Is princess marriage not possible in the first? Are other marriages not possible in the second?
Spider Clan Bushi * Ninja * Seeker of the Sea * Naval * Destined for Greatness * Captain of The Jolly Jellyfish * Formerly Hisomu Goju * Name Restored
Honor: Untrustworthy/Status: 3.0/Glory: 3.0
Items: Bronze Sword, Jade, Light Armor

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

I think princess marriage is available for both.

First one just has more options for marriage for a larger numbers of PCs (including PC-PC stuff).

Second one is less concerned with everyone else and just… eyes on the princess.
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Akodo Kenji

Post by Akodo Kenji »

I mean in a very real way people in the second will just end up giving up early and marrying each other. But that happens in every game.
Lion Clan * Bushi * Backwater * Tough * Faint scent of Fresh cut grass * Honest * Destined

Has: Daisho, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, Sake cup, Jade Bracelet

Canary

Post by Canary »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:41 pm
20 years

"Want to talk about dreams and dreamers? Sensory input gives the illusion of consciousness. You are all just dreams made of flesh. I used to be too. Now I'm flesh made of dream. You can too, Chuck. You can too."

Canary

Post by Canary »

Hisomu Goju wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:08 pm
I'm not sure the difference between the two.

Is princess marriage not possible in the first? Are other marriages not possible in the second?
Basically, it's a matter of whether the events could be aimed toward pairing anyone, or if they'll all go toward determining who marries the princess specifically.

Canary

Post by Canary »

Akodo Kenji wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:18 pm
I mean in a very real way people in the second will just end up giving up early and marrying each other. But that happens in every game.
Facts

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

I am a big fan of allowing people to pair off, more drama, more fun than one person feels like a more intense contest and I hate singular winner contest games... dislike is more apt. Gives more chances for more personal stories and more potential ships outside the main story.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

Competing for a single spouse didn't stop people pairing off in Black Scroll, but yeah, I'm chill.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Ryoshun Yukara wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:05 pm
Competing for a single spouse didn't stop people pairing off in Black Scroll, but yeah, I'm chill.
No of course not but much less pressure and more chances for drama if she isn't the focus. Assuming this character is an NPC it also means the GM is tied up much less often.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

A bigger timejump to at least see a change in a majority of the cast (like 50 years?), and a miai without a princess focus would sound cool to me. More as a "hey what if we arranged a love festival to see how many young ones would get hitched and create alliances?"-kind of deal instead of centered around a particular person.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

The mass miaii could be an interesting way to shape alliances and conflicts in the next era, even with low status characters. Presumably any potential suitor would have influence of some sort within their clan or in their own right. So, who they marry or don't marry can have ripples.
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Anjing

Post by Anjing »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:30 pm
A bigger timejump to at least see a change in a majority of the cast (like 50 years?), and a miai without a princess focus would sound cool to me. More as a "hey what if we arranged a love festival to see how many young ones would get hitched and create alliances?"-kind of deal instead of centered around a particular person.
That sounds very interesting, could go for an even longer time skip if needed to move things along .
Crab Clan • Warrior • Anjing Daimyo • Weathered • Relishing Grumpy Old Age • Ruthless • Remembers the Seidou
Great Destiny

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
I could definitely get behind this.

Ryoshun Yukara

Post by Ryoshun Yukara »

What if, instead of a Miai, we just opened a college. It'd be the same but everyone would also get a degree.
Bat :: Warrior-Monk :: Re-Armed :: Jade Claws :: Catty :: Disturbing Countenance (Catty) :: Balanced :: Yokel :: Big Stick :: Some Belated Kinda Destiny
Carries: Bisento, muted clothes, travelling cloak and hat, prayer beads, knife, sake

Description :: Theme

Otaku

Post by Otaku »

Canary wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:53 pm
Nanzi Ai wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:41 pm
20 years
Oh, for some reason I thought longer!

Like ‘Kami and characters from this game actually won’t be around anymore’ longer, for some reason. :?
Ki-Rin ▪ Daimyo ▪ Warrior ▪ Shinjo's Votary ▪ Short ▪ Quiet ▪ Ascetic ▪ Voice ▪ Hero of the People (Blue Lotus Village)
Glory: 6.5 ▪ Status: 7 ▪ Honor: Exceptional ▪ Description
Steed: Tsubame (pale dapple gray with dark points)
Gear: Daisho, saddlebags, sometimes riding armor and yumi.

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Otaku wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:18 pm
Oh, for some reason I thought longer!

Like ‘Kami and characters from this game actually won’t be around anymore’ longer, for some reason. :?
That was my hope as well.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Maybe if the Princess and her homies have fun with this one at twenty years on, they can make it a regular thing...
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.